FINALLY!

Next goal is 500 with straight back :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-TfVvxov24

vdizenzo
08-05-2012, 07:27 PM
Congrats

joey54
08-05-2012, 07:58 PM
Get the bar closer to your body at the start of the lift.

Falcon63
08-05-2012, 08:01 PM
Get the bar closer to your body at the start of the lift.I'm kinda afraid to, as my scar tissue is EXTREMELY sensitive on both my knees from multiple surgeries.

Any tips on how to condition my shins/knee for that?

Sirtificate
08-06-2012, 12:56 AM
I would use shin guards if it is really a problem. There are much better pullers who may correct me, but keep the bar in contact with your legs all the way up

RhodeHouse
08-06-2012, 05:15 AM
It's deadlifting - it should hurt. Condition your shins by deadlifting. It's that simple. Good pull.

Falcon63
08-06-2012, 06:37 AM
It's deadlifting - it should hurt. Condition your shins by deadlifting. It's that simple. Good pull.

Well, I'm not too worried about my shins honestly, more my knees. I have osteoarthritis, and the scar tissue has yet to break up on either knee, so even the slightest touch really screws with my knees.

Kinda scared I'll reinjure myself if I drag it along my knees (I don't mind dragging it along my shins, but I can't drag along my shins, and avoid my knees).

GazzyG
08-06-2012, 10:13 AM
Congrats on the pull! Unable to offer any advice on the knees, I'm afraid.

joey54
08-06-2012, 10:43 AM
If you continue to pull the way you did in the video, you may really screw your back up fierce. I'd figure something out.

Falcon63
08-06-2012, 04:30 PM
I know, I want to fix my form, not sure exactly how to do it though. Easier explained on here than done in person. I know HOW to do it, but I can't figure out how to position myself to actually do it.

ScottYard
08-06-2012, 05:03 PM
Knee high socks do wonders. Congrats

RhodeHouse
08-07-2012, 06:17 AM
I know, I want to fix my form, not sure exactly how to do it though. Easier explained on here than done in person. I know HOW to do it, but I can't figure out how to position myself to actually do it.

I told you how to fix it. Keep the bar tight and suck it up. I have osteoarthritis in my hips. I manage to nut up and train. That's the answer. If you don't like it, then I guess you're SOL.

Falcon63
08-07-2012, 06:29 AM
But what do you mean by keep the bar tight? What are some keys I can do to ensure that I do that?

tmor6
08-07-2012, 06:36 AM
But what do you mean by keep the bar tight? What are some keys I can do to ensure that I do that?

Good lift (shitting camera placement for feedback). Have to agree with others, your form needs work (but again, congrats on hitting 500 - that's great). Keeping the bar tighter to your body should help with your form. There are a bunch of helpful vids you can find on youtube. Here's a decent vid (it's CrossFit, but this guy--Erik Peterson-knows his shit). Take a look at around the 2:35 mark where he addresses proper bar placement and setting up correctly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwFvPeN81Bo

joey54
08-07-2012, 03:02 PM
You start with the bar near your toes. It at minimum should be mid foot. That is a start.

Falcon63
08-07-2012, 03:40 PM
^Well, it's kinda hard to see, but I try to have tongue on my shoes directly under the bar. I don't think getting the bar close is the problem, it's keeping the bar close.

Now, I mean, I don't have these problems when doing lighter weight (up to about 450), just max weight. I (think) I can do about 450 with decent form, just I can't keep the bar close to my body when doing max attempts (I think it's because my hips rise so high).

joey54
08-07-2012, 08:26 PM
^Well, it's kinda hard to see, but I try to have tongue on my shoes directly under the bar. I don't think getting the bar close is the problem, it's keeping the bar close.

Now, I mean, I don't have these problems when doing lighter weight (up to about 450), just max weight. I (think) I can do about 450 with decent form, just I can't keep the bar close to my body when doing max attempts (I think it's because my hips rise so high).

Well, I'm done.

Falcon63
08-07-2012, 08:32 PM
^I hope you don't think I'm making excuses or ignoring your advice, I was simply trying to say that while the angle may not make it look that way, but the bar is over the middle of my toes.

Dank27
08-08-2012, 06:00 AM
Take off those bball shoes and deadlift barefoot. Bar closer to your body and like roadhouse said. Nut up and pull. You will get there

Good luck

-Dan

Falcon63
08-08-2012, 06:12 AM
I can't, shoes is the only way I can deadlift, because the dust accumulates in my garage from my car, so I need shoes with grip.

^But that's just in my garage. At the gym, what are the benefits/disadvantages of not wearing shoes to deadlift? Never seen anyone do it.

RhodeHouse
08-09-2012, 08:17 AM
I can't, shoes is the only way I can deadlift, because the dust accumulates in my garage from my car, so I need shoes with grip.

^But that's just in my garage. At the gym, what are the benefits/disadvantages of not wearing shoes to deadlift? Never seen anyone do it.

I'm with Joey. You clearly don't want to hear what anyone has to say. Why in the hell do you need grip when you're deadlifting?????????????????? Are you walking with the weight??????????????????????

Good luck. You need it.

Brian Hopper
08-09-2012, 10:03 AM
If your worried about banging your knees, then wear some knee sleeves. I see alot of deadlifters wear them.

I would ditch the shoes. If your worried about the dust, then lay some industrial carpet down. Your pulling conventional so you really don't have much to worry about with grip.

I had ACL reconstruction on my left knee and I don't ever recall hitting my knees on the way up. Sometimes on the way down, but if I do it's always my right knee.

Like mentioned above, start with the bar around mid foot, because once you reach down for the bar and get into position your shins should be closer to the bar if not touching.

I would also drop your hips more before you pull, to me it looked like a stiff legged deadlift.

Falcon63
08-09-2012, 11:07 AM
I'm with Joey. You clearly don't want to hear what anyone has to say. Why in the hell do you need grip when you're deadlifting?????????????????? Are you walking with the weight??????????????????????

Good luck. You need it.No, I'm definitely listening to the advice, and I said I'd try it without shoes at the gym, but in my garage, the dust is incredibly bad, and I've slipped quite a few times lifting in there. But again, in the gym, I'll try it. I have higher than average hips, and my reach is only 73", so maybe not wearing shoes and being closer to the bar in regards to height will help me keep my back straight?

If your worried about banging your knees, then wear some knee sleeves. I see alot of deadlifters wear them.

I would ditch the shoes. If your worried about the dust, then lay some industrial carpet down. Your pulling conventional so you really don't have much to worry about with grip.

I had ACL reconstruction on my left knee and I don't ever recall hitting my knees on the way up. Sometimes on the way down, but if I do it's always my right knee.

Like mentioned above, start with the bar around mid foot, because once you reach down for the bar and get into position your shins should be closer to the bar if not touching.

I would also drop your hips more before you pull, to me it looked like a stiff legged deadlift.Thanks for the advice. And yes, I definitely have knee sleeves, just I haven't worn them in a while. I've had 3 ACL reconstructions the last 3 years, and I remember you posting here when it happened. How's it feeling by the way?

NITF
08-10-2012, 02:16 AM
I've got some advice, being a garage lifter myself.

Choose a Broom

Find a broom that fits with your floor type. Smoother floors can get by with synthetic brooms. Rougher floors may need natural fiber brooms to be as effective. Choose a broom with an angled edge for cleaning under cabinets and in tight spaces. Make sure your broom is at a comfortable height, and not too heavy to manage.

Find a Starting Place

When sweeping a room, there are a couple of different methods. Some people like to walk the perimeter of a room, sweeping from the edges into a pile in the center. Others like to begin at one end of the room and move to the other pulling the dirt pile along with them, or eliminating the pile in sections. Choose a method and starting point that works for you.

Start Sweeping

Sweeping isn't a difficult motion to master, but try to keep continuous contact with the floor, without pressing the broom strands down into the floor. Begin on a section of floor away from your body and gently drag the broom towards your body. You can use short quick motions or long sweeping motions. Choose whichever better fits your sweeping style.

Sweep Up Your Dirt Pile

Sweep dirt into a pile. Sweep the dirt pile into a dust pan and then deposit it in the trash. Be careful not to dump the dirt too quickly, causing dust and dirt to billow back into your face, or onto your clean floor.

Put Away Supplies

Put away all of your supplies and be sure to clean your broom if needed. Hang your broom to prevent the bristles from becoming bent or damaged, or sit the broom upside down for storage.

Tips:

Avoid getting your broom wet. It damages the broom and shortens its life span.
When washing a broom, make sure that it dries thoroughly upside down, to prevent bristles from being bent or damaged.

What You Need

Broom
Dust Pan
Trash Can

ScottYard
08-10-2012, 04:54 AM

Choose a Broom

Find a broom that fits with your floor type. Smoother floors can get by with synthetic brooms. Rougher floors may need natural fiber brooms to be as effective. Choose a broom with an angled edge for cleaning under cabinets anwd in tight spaces. Make sure your broom is at a comfortable height, and not too heavy to manage.

Find a Starting Place

When sweeping a room, there are a couple of different methods. Some people like to walk the perimeter of a room, sweeping from the edges into a pile in the center. Others like to begin at one end of the room and move to the other pulling the dirt pile along with them, or eliminating the pile in sections. Choose a method and starting point that works for you.

Start Sweeping

Sweeping isn't a difficult motion to master, but try to keep continuous contact with the floor, without pressing the broom strands down into the floor. Begin on a section of floor away from your body and gently drag the broom towards your body. You can use short quick motions or long sweeping motions. Choose whichever better fits your sweeping style.

Sweep Up Your Dirt Pile

Sweep dirt into a pile. Sweep the dirt pile into a dust pan and then deposit it in the trash. Be careful not to dump the dirt too quickly, causing dust and dirt to billow back into your face, or onto your clean floor.

Put Away Supplies

Put away all of your supplies and be sure to clean your broom if needed. Hang your broom to prevent the bristles from becoming bent or damaged, or sit the broom upside down for storage.

Tips:

When washing a broom, make sure that it dries thoroughly upside down, to prevent bristles from being bent or damaged.

What You Need

Broom
Dust Pan
Trash Can

Single ply or double ply ???????????

This is hilarious.

RhodeHouse
08-10-2012, 05:42 AM

Choose a Broom

Find a broom that fits with your floor type. Smoother floors can get by with synthetic brooms. Rougher floors may need natural fiber brooms to be as effective. Choose a broom with an angled edge for cleaning under cabinets and in tight spaces. Make sure your broom is at a comfortable height, and not too heavy to manage.

Find a Starting Place

Start Sweeping

Sweep Up Your Dirt Pile

Put Away Supplies

Tips:

What You Need

Broom
Dust Pan
Trash Can

This is brilliant!

BloodandThunder
08-10-2012, 07:36 AM
LOL that post wins the internet

OP will surely master ME and DE broom sweeping

andhen2003
08-10-2012, 09:13 AM
LOL.
Nice lift.

BTW I trained with Tom Eisman once. He has no ACLs...at all. He wraps his knees when he deadlifts.

I'm not a great deadlifter, but as an OK deadlifter, old man with multiple injuries and lots of scar tissue, I can attest you need to drag it up your legs 'till they bleed. I use duct tape on my legs and knees BTW.

joey54
08-10-2012, 11:31 AM
The broom post brought me back!

Falcon63
08-10-2012, 11:45 AM
LOL.
Nice lift.

BTW I trained with Tom Eisman once. He has no ACLs...at all. He wraps his knees when he deadlifts.

I'm not a great deadlifter, but as an OK deadlifter, old man with multiple injuries and lots of scar tissue, I can attest you need to drag it up your legs 'till they bleed. I use duct tape on my legs and knees BTW.
No ACLs? That's crazy I dunno how some people do it. Like DeJuan Blair. He's an NBA player and doesn't have any ACLs.

JasonLift
08-11-2012, 07:36 AM
If dust on the garage floor is a huge issue just go to a local tractor supply store and pick up two horse stall mats (4 foot x 6 foot and 3/4 inch thick). At a tractor supply by my house they are 40 a sheet although there are places to get them as low as 25 a sheet and on craigslist I see them frequently. They have a grip texture (though like someone said I doubt you need it as the weight you are pulling generally keeps you from falling over) and are solid enough to drop the weights on em.