PDA

View Full Version : streaky purple vision after lifting

gopostal42
08-07-2012, 10:04 PM
got up from my last set with 225 on bench for moderate reps seeing odd patterns like i had been staring into a light too long but they were more like purple/red squiggles than circles. got progressively worse for about a half hour then began to slowly regain vision over the course of 3 hours. It was plenty cause for concern as it reminded me off the symptoms my friend cheryl clodfelter had when she detached her retinas benching a few years ago and forced her to retire. needless to say i stopped there, for the following few hours i felt quite uncoordinated and my thoughts were really scrambled. its now been 4 hours and i'm starting to feel back to normal. hope it was just something with blood sugar (really doubt it) but it freaked me out a good bit on the inside. fingers are crossed it's nothing but a random occurrence.

anybody had any experiences like this at all or have any idea what it could be?

Travis Bell
08-08-2012, 01:04 PM
I've blown blood vessels behind my eye before that gave me a royal headache and then a few days later the whole eye turns blood red, but nothing quite like that.

Have you had your blood pressure taken any time recently?

I assume you are headed to the eye doc?

drew
08-08-2012, 01:47 PM
Same as Travis, never experienced anything like that. Definitely time to get yourself to a doctor.

theBarzeen
08-08-2012, 03:46 PM
I've popped blood vessels in my eye and after missing a squat at the XPC my wife says that she saw a drop of blood drip down my face from my eye.....

I've also had messed up vision from max effort pulls and squats for a good 20 minutes.... blurry, seeing double etc....

Blood pressure is on the high side of the normal range.... it just happens.

As long as it goes back to normal by the time I need to drive home I've never worried about it....

BUT... all of that is from max weights in multi ply gear.... never from a light or raw set..... that's messed up.

ScottYard
08-08-2012, 04:53 PM
Try a mouth piece. I used to have this issue. I kept the air in my face and not my gut when i benched. The mouth piece helped to push the air in my gut ans let it stay there.

gopostal42
08-08-2012, 09:58 PM
spoke with a friend with experience in the medical field and she said it sounded like a transient ischemic attack (whatever that is) similar to a mini stroke but no lasting effects. O2 to the brain gets cut off from the brain by high pressure over time. i did hold my breath more than normal on that set of 10 so it seems like the most likely thing. all symptoms have gone away completely and trained lightly today without any issue. may look into the mouth piece.

btw i did go check my blood pressure today and it was 125/75

Jonathan E
08-09-2012, 12:22 AM
BP looks good from your post above. Check the mouth piece idea, adjust your breathing techniques accordingly, if the problem persists, please seek more medical help.

Travis Bell
08-09-2012, 06:49 AM
Mouth piece might be a good idea. I used to wear one since I do the same thing Scot talked about. Holding all the air in my face as opposed to my belly.

vdizenzo
08-09-2012, 07:36 AM
Interesting topic, hope you take care of it. I can see how holding your breath in your face could be a bad thing. Filling your belly with air instead of your face is so much better on so many levels.