PDA

View Full Version : Fruits and veggies

D-RAS03
08-11-2012, 10:08 PM
I don't eat them really at all. I know I need to start but what am I missing out on by not eating them? Also which of them are the ones I need to eat? A list would be great. Thanks guys.

Sirtificate
08-12-2012, 06:20 PM
Your body will function a lot better if you get all of your vitamins and minerals. At least that's what my mom told me when i was younger :p

Alex.V
08-12-2012, 08:11 PM
I don't eat them really at all. I know I need to start but what am I missing out on by not eating them? Also which of them are the ones I need to eat? A list would be great. Thanks guys.

Truthfully? Not much.

Most vitamins and minerals (and fiber) are found in abundance in the supplements most of us take (something as simple as a protein shake or bar), and contrary to what some websites and uneducated but opinionated folk may insist, your body can't tell the difference.

As for certain antioxidants, phytochemicals, etc... you usually can't go wrong with anything brightly colored. Get some blueberries and tomatoes in your diet for starters, and provided you're either taking a multi or having a protein bar or two, you'll be in better shape than 90% of the population. Throw in some fish oil, and you can bump that up to 95% of the population.

D-RAS03
08-12-2012, 08:26 PM
Truthfully? Not much.

Most vitamins and minerals (and fiber) are found in abundance in the supplements most of us take (something as simple as a protein shake or bar), and contrary to what some websites and uneducated but opinionated folk may insist, your body can't tell the difference.

As for certain antioxidants, phytochemicals, etc... you usually can't go wrong with anything brightly colored. Get some blueberries and tomatoes in your diet for starters, and provided you're either taking a multi or having a protein bar or two, you'll be in better shape than 90% of the population. Throw in some fish oil, and you can bump that up to 95% of the population.

I take Multi-plus, fish oil, Nitrean, and many other things a day. I just keep hearing you have to have fruits and veggies as part of your diet. I will add those to my diet as well.

tharindhu015
08-14-2012, 09:24 PM
fruits and vegies are important in our mels. fiber is the fact we have to eat vegies. the yello colored fruits and vegies are so good for body

Dashquid (http://dashquid.com)
fatlossprofessional.co.uk (http://fatlossprofessional.co.uk)
fatlossprofessional (http://fatlossprofessional.co.uk/how-to-lose-weight-fast/)
mobilehelper (http://mobilehelper.co.uk)
securetrip (http://securetrip.co.uk)
whichpetcover (http://whichpetcover.com)
google (http://google.com)
abc (http://abc.com)
facebook (http://facebook.com)
craigslist (http://craigslist.com)

jed2009
08-17-2012, 12:03 PM
What Alex said. However I have to say that recently I've started to eat quite a bit of fruit compared to years of no fruit and I have been effected by the placebo and "feel" more healthy. I think ingestion of fruits/veggies is moreso an alternative pathway for consumption of food instead of eating, say, a fun size bag of Doritos. Have a cup of brocolli with some healthy-ish dressing instead. Get what I'm sayin.

Sirtificate
08-17-2012, 01:29 PM
I agree jed, good to see you back, BTW. Especially if your trying to lose weight; eating fruits and vegies can help you achieve your nutrition goals.

Also agree with Alex. You can get your V's and M's other ways if you need to.

Bako Lifter
08-22-2012, 12:40 AM
fruits and vegies are important in our mels. fiber is the fact we have to eat vegies. the yello colored fruits and vegies are so good for body

Instead of making choices in fruits and vegetables, you should eat all the kinds of fruits and vegetables as they are full of vitamins and minerals. If you're a meat lover, don't quit eating it as it's a main and basic source of protein, you could mix your vegetables with meat to make it tasty, may this way you start eating veges and fruits.

You should eat fresh fruits and raw vegetables to make your diet more healthy and balanced.
You should include the fresh fruits and vegetables in your daily diet to get more natural vitamins, protein, fiber, calcium etc.
The more beneficial fruits and vegetables for you are apple, orange, grapefruit, grapes, berries, broccoli, cabbage, carrot, cucumber, pumpkin, and gourd.

Fruits and vegetables are very important to our health because they are whole foods, created by nature, that are rich in a large amount of nutrients.

Experiment with new types of fruits and veggies -- like a broccoli slaw salad mix, or pomegranate juice.

Wow, lots of great and interesting advice guys! You folks really know your stuff. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on other topics in the future, thanks! :thumbup:

Bruiser
08-29-2012, 06:43 AM
I agree jed, good to see you back, BTW. Especially if your trying to lose weight; eating fruits and vegies can help you achieve your nutrition goals.

Also agree with Alex. You can get your V's and M's other ways if you need to.

If you're trying to lose weight stick more with veggies than fruit though. There's a lot of sugar in fruit that can outweigh the benefits.

Fruits and vegetables both are good for health. These food have lot of benefits. Fruits contain vitamins and vegetables have carbohydrates. Both things are important for our body. I am a vegetarian so i suggest everyone to eat vegetables and fruits only.

Don't believe the misconception that fruit has more vitamins and nutrients than veggies. If anything veggies are A LOT more nutrient dense with the adds benefits of fiber and being lower calorie.

Bruiser
08-29-2012, 06:47 AM
To the OP. If you want to make the most of your veggie/fruit intake, stick with greens. Spinach, choy, kale and rapini Are my favorites. And there is also supplements like Fruit/Veggie Festiv, Go Greens, etc that supplies everything you need. Here's a site that has the nutritional info on veggies and fruits.

http://www.healthalternatives2000.com/vegetables-nutrition-chart.html

Holto
09-04-2012, 02:27 PM
I don't eat them really at all. I know I need to start but what am I missing out on by not eating them?

You are missing out on over 100K phytonutrients.

DoUgL@S
09-04-2012, 05:48 PM
You are missing out on over 100K phytonutrients.

Would be interested in learning more. Care to elaborate?

Holto
09-05-2012, 08:47 AM
Would be interested in learning more. Care to elaborate?

Well to my knowledge science has only even named the first 20K of them. So there are 80k phyto's out there with unknown effects.

The known phyto's range from things like bio-flavanoids, to chrlorophyl to carotenoids. We al know of beta-carotene but there are I think over 600 carotenoids out there. It's a pretty big subject.

I feel totally different when I eat fruit & veg VS when I don't. So personally I could say the OP would be missing out on feeling good, having an abundance of energy and increased mental acuity.

tablet-2012
09-19-2012, 12:20 AM
Seems you don't like to eat fruits and vegetable. But i suggest you to eat them, because they can provide various vitmin and other elements human body need. They are good for your body. Hope you can love them:) Thank you.

patricky
09-19-2012, 01:00 AM
Tons of stuff in food we don't even know about yet.
A multi has you covered for the major stuff however there is so much benefit to fruit and veges you may as well eat them.

Fruit is delicous I eat heaps of oranges, watermelon, grapefruit tangerines etc, love it.

imabeast7
10-31-2012, 05:28 PM
so you cant get all your nutrients from fruits and veggies from suppliments eliminating the need to eat them?

Alex.V
11-01-2012, 09:28 AM
so you cant get all your nutrients from fruits and veggies from suppliments eliminating the need to eat them?

You can. There are many populations on earth who subsist on negligible amounts of fruits and vegetables, and to our knowledge, there are no disorders or vitamin deficiencies caused by not eating fruits/vegetables that cannot be addressed through taking a vitamin/mineral supplement and ensuring adequate caloric intake elsewhere.

The existence of complex molecules in nature designed for the other organism's benefit does not mean (by any stretch) that we are better off consuming them.

r2473
11-01-2012, 10:56 AM
So much is "unknown" about diet and nutriton.

So much is "unknown" about supplements.

We are all so different.

We all have different factors in our lives that affect "the whole".

As such, my "money" is on simply eating a balanced diet including fruits and vegetables as a daily habit.

And while it may be true that certain populations get by just fine with eating negligibe amounts of fruits and vegetables, I think much of the population also gets by just fine without taking supplements.

I prefer the "fruit / vegetable / meat / starch" balanced meal lifestyle over the supplement lifestyle. And yes, I'm generalizing (you can do both, you can take supplements and be perfectly healthy, etc).

Alex.V
11-01-2012, 11:10 AM
Agreed. The response was to eliminate absolutes- you don't NEED to do anything, really- in this day and age of enriched/fortified basic foodstuffs, nutrient deficiencies are unlikely in all but the most extreme (read: restrictive diet) cases. You don't NEED supplements, you don't NEED fruits and vegetables. But if you're going to eliminate all fruits, all vegetables, and not take any supplements whatsoever (and go out of your way to avoid processed foods, which in many cases ARE fortified with essential nutrients), you may find yourself in trouble as the months and years go on.

r2473
11-01-2012, 11:25 AM
I know that much of the food I eat is "fortified". So we all take supplements.

I really don't have anything against supplements per se. But I do question the wisdom of relying on them instead of simply eating "right".

For reasons that extend beyond basic nutrition, I just prefer to keep eat balanced meals instead of taking supplements. It's really more of a lifestyle choice for me.

EDIT: I would also add that, with the beating the USDA and their food pyramind takes these days, I'd be surprised if 1 in 100 people eat according to the food pyrmaid. I feel its pretty hard to criticize something if you don't follow it.

I don't follow it. I eat lots of red meat and butter. But I also try to eat lots of vegetables. I'm not so great at eating fruit though.

Alex.V
11-02-2012, 09:50 AM
The consumption of more vegetables, fruits and root crops is encouraged to help correct the micronutrient deficiencies consistently noted in some surveys.

This is a baseless statement. Not to mention "consistently noted in some" is a contradiction in terms.

Cards
11-02-2012, 07:17 PM
This is a baseless statement. Not to mention "consistently noted in some" is a contradiction in terms.

Been gone three months, glad to see things are still the same.

dynamo
11-03-2012, 09:07 AM
I juice some leafy greens in the morning and that's my veggie intake for the day. Its usually 4-6 ounces so its not much juice. It just makes me feel better, but I did skip on eating veggies and fruits for s good 2 or 3 years, mostly because I was perma-bulking and fruits and veggies just take up space (154 calories in a pound of broccoli, 1637 calories in a pound of white bread). Do whatever gets you to your goals, of course if you start feeling miserable due to diet change, reevaluate your diet. duh.

Alex.V
11-03-2012, 09:26 AM
well fruits and vegetables are the rich source of minerals,vitamins,proteins and carbohydrates so these all helps in proper functioning and growth of the body and also gives nourishment to various parts of the body so it would be better to have them once a day

What proteins are found in fruits and vegetables?

Altephor
11-03-2012, 07:22 PM
Technically, soybeans (a legume) are a type of fruit. And they have plenty of protein.

Alex.V
11-03-2012, 09:07 PM
lol. Yes, congratulations for recognizing the botanical origin of legumes. Typically, most people don't think "Eat more peanuts and soybeans" when they hear "eat more fruit".

Altephor
11-03-2012, 11:02 PM
lol. Yes, congratulations for recognizing the botanical origin of legumes. Typically, most people don't think "Eat more peanuts and soybeans" when they hear "eat more fruit".

Well, you asked...

papru
11-04-2012, 07:17 PM
for me they are the est carbs you can eat mate, for example with meat i like to hae loads of veggies like bracpli, cabbeage ect. try them bro you improve big time, and try fresh once (-;

IFBB David H
11-14-2012, 09:35 AM
What proteins are found in fruits and vegetables?

LOL - I would LOVE to get my hands on a "Protein Fruit" - this would drastically change my diet!

Alex.V
11-14-2012, 10:22 AM
Well, you asked...

I can't really criticize you for being a pedantic smartass, since I'm one too.

Cheers. :)

Superman01
11-19-2012, 11:09 PM
Really nice talking about fruits and veggies, and also really nice above comments, guys, i also have some information about fruits and veggies, which i want to share with you, guys, there is no doubt fruits and veggies, is very beneficial, guys, you should eat fresh fruits and fresh veggies, because too good for your health...

Paual
11-21-2012, 03:35 AM
Green vegetables and fresh fruits are so effective for health and fitness. They are big sources of vitamin, fiber and minerals. You should eat them. I like carrot, cucumber, broccoli, beans, seafood, mushrooms, banana, orange, apple. They are also effective for prevention of diseases.