PDA

View Full Version : Benching with long arms

DontTakeEmOff31
08-13-2012, 04:49 PM
Was hoping to get some advice on grip width for benching with long arms. For someone who is 5'6 I have extremely long arms, I have a reach similar to someone who is around 6'. Normally I bench with middle finger on the rings, today I tried benching with forefinger on the rings, it felt unstable and weak, I wasn't able to hit my usual numbers.

My question is this, obviously switching grip is going to affect the weights for a while, but is it worth it in the long run to bench wider, or should I just use my usual grip? I'm able to get a pretty massive arch as well. I'm not looking to use my arm length as an excuse, just trying to figure out the best way to manipulate what I've got.

Thanks.

Dank27
08-13-2012, 06:12 PM
Well I am 6'4 with a very long arm ( I wear a 38in length dress shirt). I have been fighting this battle for years. I tried multiple grips. The best solution I had was the following

Normal Grip ( Middle/Ring on the rings)
WORK YOUr TRICEPS
WORK YOUR TRICEPS than after that
Work your triceps some more.

I also spent a lot of time working on my arch to get my gut in the air. Remember if you can add an inch to your arch you can shorten your arms by the same amount.

Good Luck

J L S
08-14-2012, 01:51 AM
damn, I bet you're a good deadlifter with those arms... I agree with the post before, thicken up your arms, delts, pecs... i.e put good weight on and still work with your arch. Keep your grip where it feels strongest, I wouldnt overthink it, just bench where you have been and work on thickening up... besides, widening it in the long run could lead to some nasty injuries especially if youre raw.

watch somebody like mark bell, he has a pretty long way to go and brandon lilly, both in excess of 500lb raw benches. Just takes time. keep chipping away at it

RhodeHouse
08-14-2012, 05:52 AM
Stay with the grip you feel is strongest, but work on the weak grips. I always use my competition grip in training, but use CG and Floor Press to build my bench. Hammer the shoulders and back, as well.

i disagree with the above post about injuries. If you use good form and pay attention to technique and rehab you're not going to get injured with a wider grip. CG takes your shoulder through a bigger range of motion anyway.

Falcon63
08-14-2012, 06:18 AM
I have a 73" inch wingspan (6'1", so about the same), and I've only recently discovered that neutral grip makes my bench MUCH weaker.

I maxed out at 355 the other day and it was the hardest thing I ever did...I repped that in the gym on Sunday without a spotter just by switching my grip up (I did lighter weights beforehand to make sure I could do it).

I honestly thought my arms were too short for wide grip benching, but it's made a HUGE difference this last week.

Travis Bell
08-14-2012, 08:52 AM
Pound your lats. Guys so often miss that lats are the key to being stable on the bench.

MichaelPowell
08-14-2012, 05:59 PM
I never really bought into this "Long arm" thing. I don't like giving myself a BS excuse for sucking right off the bat. I'm 6' and my arm span is 75" from middle finger to middle finger. I like to think in terms of "short chest" lol.

Ok so what's everyone's opinion on "long arms" is there some sort of chest to arm ratio? ha

theBarzeen
08-14-2012, 09:55 PM
At 6'4 with a 38" sleeve I can feel your pain with the long bench stroke ( even though I'm not too ape-armed in proportion to my height)

IN a shirt I go as wide as allowed, but raw I put the ring between my first and second fingers....

The big thing is to do everything you can to shorten your stroke. Tucking your shoulders back as hard as you can will pull 2-3" out of your ROM, so will your arch, so will your belly ( mine probably more)..... suddenly your 2 foot bench stroke turns in to a 1 foot stroke and it doesn't matter how long your arms are.

RhodeHouse
08-15-2012, 05:42 AM
At 6'4 with a 38" sleeve I can feel your pain with the long bench stroke ( even though I'm not too ape-armed in proportion to my height)

IN a shirt I go as wide as allowed, but raw I put the ring between my first and second fingers....

The big thing is to do everything you can to shorten your stroke. Tucking your shoulders back as hard as you can will pull 2-3" out of your ROM, so will your arch, so will your belly ( mine probably more)..... suddenly your 2 foot bench stroke turns in to a 1 foot stroke and it doesn't matter how long your arms are.

So true.

DontTakeEmOff31
08-15-2012, 06:25 AM
Stay with the grip you feel is strongest, but work on the weak grips. I always use my competition grip in training, but use CG and Floor Press to build my bench. Hammer the shoulders and back, as well.

i disagree with the above post about injuries. If you use good form and pay attention to technique and rehab you're not going to get injured with a wider grip. CG takes your shoulder through a bigger range of motion anyway.

Do you use CG and Floor Press on bench days after competition bench? I tend to do my 5/3/1 Powerlifting numbers and then some close grip.

That grip is what I usually use as well. I have a pretty good arch, I may have to think a bit more about tucking my shoulders back though, will try to focus on it a bit more next time.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I hammer my lats and shoulders pretty hard, I'll keep working them.

DontTakeEmOff31
08-15-2012, 06:33 AM
damn, I bet you're a good deadlifter with those arms... I agree with the post before, thicken up your arms, delts, pecs... i.e put good weight on and still work with your arch. Keep your grip where it feels strongest, I wouldnt overthink it, just bench where you have been and work on thickening up... besides, widening it in the long run could lead to some nasty injuries especially if youre raw.

watch somebody like mark bell, he has a pretty long way to go and brandon lilly, both in excess of 500lb raw benches. Just takes time. keep chipping away at it

Deadlift is easily my best lift, if I can get the bar past the first 2 inches off the ground I've got it, I've never failed any higher than that. Short legs and long arms.

Kodiak_Trebin
08-15-2012, 07:17 AM
Like the others here, I am 6'5" and I have these ape arms. It took me a long time on the bench, I remember struggling with 185 and getting pissed off and blaming it on my long arms etc but I have stuck w/ it and I use a narrow grip. I put my middle fingers on the rings and it also helps w/ my shoulders. I got up 290 the other week so I def can't complain (probably not strong here but ya know).

RhodeHouse
08-15-2012, 08:16 AM
Do you use CG and Floor Press on bench days after competition bench? I tend to do my 5/3/1 Powerlifting numbers and then some close grip.

That grip is what I usually use as well. I have a pretty good arch, I may have to think a bit more about tucking my shoulders back though, will try to focus on it a bit more next time.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I hammer my lats and shoulders pretty hard, I'll keep working them.

I don't follow 5/3/1, but I do follow my Competition bench work with some variation and then do more work on a seperate day. don't go nuts throwing in a bunch of new exercises. try using the CG Bench after the 5/3/1 sets and see how that works over the next 5-6 months. Then you can try the Floor Press and see how that works.

Justin Randal
08-15-2012, 08:51 AM
Pound your lats. Guys so often miss that lats are the key to being stable on the bench.
This!!

Dank27
08-16-2012, 05:59 PM
This!!

+1

This was a weak point for me that I have began to address and I have noticed huge improvement in stability.