PDA

View Full Version : JM press as ME?

t11t27
08-14-2012, 07:28 PM
JM press for a max effort exercise? or should it be used just as an accessory?

t11t27
08-14-2012, 07:30 PM
ahh nevermind

RhodeHouse
08-15-2012, 05:43 AM
I wouldn't bother using them. They're tough on the elbows and there's no difinitive way to do them. Everyone has their own variation.

larsen540
08-15-2012, 07:01 PM
I wouldn't bother using them. They're tough on the elbows and there's no difinitive way to do them. Everyone has their own variation.

Agree

chris mason
08-15-2012, 09:15 PM
Not an ME exercise.

RobmoriRB
08-16-2012, 05:37 AM
If you want to attach your Triceps I find that close grip bench working up to max single has helped me and also maybe doing DB pulls......IMO I found that the JM pressing is helping me develop my triceps.

Travis Bell
08-16-2012, 07:54 AM
I love JM presses. You just have to be strict with them and not turn them into a close grip bench.

I think a lot of people just don't have the tricep flexibility to be able to do them well.

Wouldn't use them as an ME exercise though. I've never had any elbow problems at all with them, but everyones body structure is different.

BloodandThunder
08-16-2012, 10:07 AM
JMs are like the Good Morning of the Bench accessories. You most likely will get more out of them by doing them "strictly" or whatever that means since there's so many ways to do them vs. turning it into a let's see how much I can 1RM it for. That said, if you're gonna rep out, I suggest doing it RE fashion or with 5-6RM or higher.

If you want test your tricep strength, do it in a complete pressing groove. Paused Close grip vs chain is a good start for ME. That exercise will tell you all you need to know.

I always prefered palms facing db extensions (off floor, on bench, rolling start, etc) for 50+ total reps in a high volume phase. Keeps the elbows happy and you get a nice training effect. Then as you move closer to a meet, drop the volume and use a barbell extension if your elbows are decent. Accessories should never hamper your progress, only aid it.