PDA

View Full Version : Football Tryouts In A Few Days

Jonathan E
08-16-2012, 02:21 PM
Im going to be trying out for my college football team on monday. I played center throughout high school but will be trying out as a MLB and long-snapper. I lost a little to much weight, so Im at 6ft and 210 lb for the time being. Thus far, they have been pretty 'secretive' for what they will have us do to tryout. Im assuming it will be position specific drills, running, combine tests, etc. With that being said, I would love some input and recommendations for things like diet/hydration, stretching, warming up, or anything at all that you think would be beneficial to me. I know a lot of guys have experience directly or indirectly with things like this. (Whether it be strongmans/meets,etc.) Another side note: I have been battling chronic hamstring issues since last summer. During sprinting, they would strain terribly. For the past year I have been doing PT and Chiropractic work. Some improvement but its still their. So any hamstring tips would be awesome too. Thanks everyone.

Dank27
08-16-2012, 05:51 PM
If your tryout is in 4 days you should be at the point that you are doing a lot of resting. Maybe some light sprints and stretching on Saturday then rest rest rest. Good luck and stay focused

Jonathan E
08-16-2012, 11:34 PM
If your tryout is in 4 days you should be at the point that you are doing a lot of resting. Maybe some light sprints and stretching on Saturday then rest rest rest. Good luck and stay focused

Will try to do. Thanks for the input.

jed2009
08-17-2012, 11:55 AM
Yeah man, a little late to be asking for hamstring strength advice. The good news is if you make the team, hopefully they'll have athletic trainers and other people who can let you know their point of view and give you some good stuff to do.

Jonathan E
08-17-2012, 03:54 PM
Yeah man, a little late to be asking for hamstring strength advice. The good news is if you make the team, hopefully they'll have athletic trainers and other people who can let you know their point of view and give you some good stuff to do.

By hamstring tips, I mean things along the lines of techniques that might help me reduce the risk of them straining during tryout sprints. Trust me, Ive gotten a lot of knowledge via PT's, Chiropractors, Physicians, etc over the past year regarding just pure strength training for them. This injury seems to be more of a heal over time issue. But yes I agree, hopefully this staff can help aid me.

RhodeHouse
08-20-2012, 06:04 AM
Drink a lot, eat well and sleep. As for warming up etc... The team wil lwarm you up. Just show up ready to kick ass. As for 6' 210lbs being too small? Really? Do a little research. Derrick Brooks was a 6'4" 210lb at Florida State and he was a 1st team All-American. Unless you're playing at the D-1 level, and even then, you're fine. Just play and let it happen.

Sirtificate
08-20-2012, 07:15 PM
Tell us how it went Whoopipally!

Jonathan E
08-20-2012, 09:27 PM
Drink a lot, eat well and sleep. As for warming up etc... The team wil lwarm you up. Just show up ready to kick ass. As for 6' 210lbs being too small? Really? Do a little research. Derrick Brooks was a 6'4" 210lb at Florida State and he was a 1st team All-American. Unless you're playing at the D-1 level, and even then, you're fine. Just play and let it happen.

Thanks man I appreciate it. And your right about the size, I just need to play.

Jonathan E
08-20-2012, 09:32 PM
Tell us how it went Whoopipally!

About 40 kids showed up, 15 of them being linebackers. Started off with warming up/running mumbo jumbo for the first 20 min. We then did combine style testing then proceeded into position drills. They kept scores to themselves for the most part. Overall, I think I did an ok job. I gave it my all..but I know what I need to work on. Hard to tell if I made it...they said they can only take a small number of us, and I saw one of the LB coaches take 2 other linebacker hopefuls aside and ask them for their contact info. I thought I was at the same level as them so we will see after they email us in the next week what happens. Thanks guys.

RhodeHouse
08-21-2012, 06:19 AM
You play any position they want you to play.

joey54
08-21-2012, 08:43 AM
What was this for d1 walk on?

Jonathan E
08-21-2012, 02:34 PM
You play any position they want you to play.

Definitely.

Jonathan E
08-21-2012, 02:34 PM
What was this for d1 walk on?

Yes, Iowa State University.

Jonathan E
08-23-2012, 06:10 PM
Didn't make the cut as of 1 hour ago...doing my best to stay away from self-pity. Just going to make myself better. Maybe somewhere else, we'll see how the semester goes. Thanks for the support gentlemen.

Sirtificate
08-24-2012, 08:46 AM
Cant feel bad or give up if you left it all on the field man. Maybe a school like northwest missouri state would be a good school to try for if its not too late. One of the best D2 schools out there and still in the midwest. Keep your head up buddy!

Jonathan E
08-24-2012, 01:54 PM
Cant feel bad or give up if you left it all on the field man. Maybe a school like northwest missouri state would be a good school to try for if its not too late. One of the best D2 schools out there and still in the midwest. Keep your head up buddy!

Thanks man, appreciate it.

joey54
08-25-2012, 09:29 AM
One door closes and another one opens.