PDA

View Full Version : Question on rest times.

KJDANEXT0
08-18-2012, 06:08 AM
Is it OK to train 3x3 with 2 mins rest in between sets? I have enough rest to perform a quality set and am not breathing so hard. Does this mean it's alright?

Would 3 mins be a bare minimum for strength training? Will less rest cause unwanted side affects even if I get all the reps done? Will it cause unwanted mass gains?

Thanks.

kingns
08-18-2012, 09:17 AM
you are over thinking it.
My rest times are determined by how much time I have to finish my workout and if i feel recovered from my last set.

tom183
08-18-2012, 07:49 PM
^--Agreed.

Bako Lifter
08-18-2012, 08:22 PM
Will it cause... Unwanted mass gains?

RhodeHouse
08-20-2012, 05:59 AM
If you're going for strength, you need to rest. I wouldn't spend any time looking at clock. Rest and make sure you can hit the weights that need to be hit. Rest on assistance work can be short - 60-90 seconds.

KJDANEXT0
08-20-2012, 11:53 AM
Will it cause... Unwanted mass gains? the wording was abit off on that one, I'll admit. Nothing wrong with mass gains. What I meant is will it promote mass gains over strength gains, which is the primary concern.

If you're going for strength, you need to rest. I wouldn't spend any time looking at clock. Rest and make sure you can hit the weights that need to be hit. Rest on assistance work can be short - 60-90 seconds.

Thanks. Today's session was the same as the last one, only I gave myself an extra minute between sets. I was after all breathing kinda fast after sets with only 2 mins. Better to just rest more and avoid the fatigue if you ask me.

Thanks again.

theBarzeen
08-21-2012, 04:31 PM
It depends what your workouts look like.

After a big squat it should be 3-5 minutes to recover for the next set.... at least. Could be 10-15.

For auxiliary work I like to cut rest times as short as possible though.

For the main lifts I want to be as well rested as possible without getting cold ( I do well with 10-15 guys on a monolift moving fast)... for auxiliary work I'm less concerned with the actual weight and more with how hard I'm working so if I rush my rest and end up only overhead pressing 105's for 10 instead of 120s that's fine.... I don't compete in overhead press, it's just auxiliary work.