PDA

View Full Version : Close grip bench

Soni
08-20-2012, 03:52 PM
Hi, I'm new here and want to say hello first of all! My question is why does it seem that the bar speed off my chest seems faster and I feel tighter generally when I do close grip bench rather than wide grip bench ? It seems tht on wide grip the speed is slower but I can grind a rep out, where as on close grip it's faster off chest but if bar stalls I find it hard to complete rep.

Travis Bell
08-20-2012, 08:00 PM
Thats a really general question and it depends on what you mean by close grip and wide grip

Sounds like you need to work with your upper back and shoulders

Soni
08-21-2012, 06:39 AM
Sorry, by close grip i meant index finger on start of knurling by the smooth bit of bar and by wide i meant index finger on ring....prob right bout my upper back as i can not do more than 5 chins!!

Travis Bell
08-21-2012, 07:37 AM
Try putting your pinkies on the rings

vdizenzo
08-21-2012, 07:59 AM
Like Trav said, more back work could be the solution.

chris mason
08-21-2012, 11:04 AM
I'm going with triceps. With a closer grip when your upper and lower arms gets to a certain position (about half way up for most people) the triceps leverage is poor and you need a lot of triceps strength to power through it.

Justin Randal
08-21-2012, 11:21 AM
I would say that you are faster off your chest narrow because it is easier to properly engage the lats close grip. Like Travis said, More back work will give you some pop with a wider grip.

Justin Randal
08-21-2012, 11:22 AM
I would say that you are faster off your chest narrow because it is easier to properly engage the lats close grip. Like Travis said, More back work will give you some pop with a wider grip. And like Chris said, work those tri's to improve lockout strength.

Soni
08-21-2012, 02:54 PM
Thanks guys, I will plan an onslaught on my back training and see how it goes