PDA

View Full Version : Insulin Spike while cutting?

05-07-2001, 05:27 PM
While in a cutting phase, is it really neccesary to spike your insulin with a high GI food like a banana or something after a workout?
Would it not be better to keep your glycogen stores lower throughout the day, thus forcing yourself to burn more fat as fuel?

Podium Kreatin
05-07-2001, 05:42 PM
actually, u shouldn't. insulin "feeds" ur body, which includes both fat and muscle. if u spike ur insulin, u might get fat.

Frankster
05-07-2001, 05:42 PM
After weight training- yes

Big Show
05-07-2001, 05:58 PM
I agree with Frankster. After a workout even if you are cutting up a banana after your workout will not impact negatively. According to what I have read the bulk of your carbs during a cutting phase should be after a workout the rest of your meals should be higher in protein and carbs should be from vegetables. Hope this answers your question

body
05-07-2001, 06:10 PM
depands on much muscle you are willing to losoe as the smaller/longer the increase insulin take sthe more amino acids that will be used as fuel after exercise. also it also depands on your insulin sensitivity as well.

05-08-2001, 10:11 AM
Yes but the idea of cardio in the morning on an empty stomach is so that you burn more fat since your glycogen stores are low. Would this not be the same case for weight lifting? If you didn't do an insulin spike after a weight lifting session, your glycogen stores are will more lower throughout the day, and would that not be forcing your body to burn more fat as energy, then it would if they were high?

Frankster
05-08-2001, 10:57 AM
the purpouse of eating carbs post workout ( weights) is to get glycogen in the MUSCLES.

Ronan
05-08-2001, 07:43 PM
simple carbs after training wont make you fat if you train hard. In fact the quicker you can get glycogen in to your depleted musles the faster they will grow and as muscle is metabolically very active.......more fat loss!

YatesNightBlade
05-09-2001, 01:24 AM
Agreed High GI food after training will NOT make you fat. I wouldn't use a Banana though to create a natural Insulin Spike. Get hold of some Dextrose or Glucose mix Malterdextrin is also good.

Spiderman
05-09-2001, 05:42 AM
As I have said many times, if you are lifting weights, lifting will NOT burn fat!!! It just doesn' t happen. However, if you're doing cardio, then do it on an empty stomach (you knew that one) but after you get done, wait about an hour to eat. This way your body will still be burning fat during that time, instead of replenishing your body with nutrients and getting its energy from your post workout meal. Hope this helps some. :cool:

Ronan
05-09-2001, 07:47 AM
Spidey thats the worst possible advise to give him

Weght training is the best possible way to get a lean muscular body, no other exercise increases the metabolic rate like it or for as long.

People should forget about the precise amount of fat they burn during exercise thats not whats its about. It the amount of calories your body burns over 24hr period that counts towards fat loss.

Starving yourself after aerobics is a bad idea. It would only allow cortisol to breakdown your muscles further, eat within 20mins after cardio.

So can you explain to me how lifting does not burn fat???? It just doesnt happen eh?

Yaz
05-09-2001, 08:29 AM
What do you think about creatine for insulin spiking on a day you do just cardio in the AM?

Twiztid
05-09-2001, 08:41 AM
Sorry Spidey, I have to side with Ronan on this one...

:cool:

Twiztid

The_Chicken_Daddy
05-09-2001, 09:34 AM
If weight training is for optimum protein catobolism, then i don't think that morning lifting on an empty stomach is an ideal substitue for morning cardio.

It will however, burn calories and if you are already eating a deficit of cals then there will be further weight loss.

I've had good results from morning cardio on an empty stomach.

Why not do both morning (20 mins for example) and night cardio (20 mins for example) to keep your metabolism high throughout the day?

P.S. Isn't lifting anaerobic and cardio aerobic?

Podium Kreatin
05-09-2001, 09:29 PM
i did lifting in the morning w/o breakfast, and it burns fat pretty well

this'll sound strange, but low rep lifting is more aerobic than cardio. lactic acid (the burn u get from hi reps or running for long distances) is the result of anaerobic respiration, and lactic acid builds very quick when running. lifting heavy doesn't release a lot of lactic acid cuz the sufficient rest periods flush out the lactic acid and replenish ur blood cells. it's very difficult to breathe in such rate that a person could make running more aerobic than anaerobic. ppl think cuz u breath more when running it means it's aerobic (oxygen requiring) but it's ur body actually trying to get more oxygen, but can't, so it has to resort into using both types, but anaerobic occurs more bc it doesn't depend on how much O2 u get and it's constant.

YatesNightBlade
05-10-2001, 02:21 AM
WTF :confused:

the doc
05-10-2001, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by YatesNightBlade
WTF :confused:

agreed, i basicly pass over podium's posts anymore. I don't know what he is talking about:)

Savannah
05-10-2001, 08:35 AM
WTF:confused: :confused: LMAO

The_Chicken_Daddy
05-10-2001, 09:15 AM
Er.....alrighty.....

P.S. WTF?:confused:

Podium Kreatin
05-10-2001, 10:25 PM
i was answering The_Chicken_Daddy's q at the end of his post; running is more anaerobic. what's so wrong about that?

YatesNightBlade
05-11-2001, 01:21 AM
WTF :confused: .......... again.

Maki Riddington
05-11-2001, 02:01 AM
I can never seem to understand your posts Podium.

Ronan
05-11-2001, 08:14 AM
WTF AGAIN:o