PDA

View Full Version : How do I hold the bar for front squats?

KJDANEXT0
08-21-2012, 04:14 PM
I'm a huge fan of Zercher squats and have been using them as my only squat movement for a while.

I want to incorporate heavy front squats into my routine, but I'm having a problem. I simply can't hold the bar comfortably enough to do them!

Here's the situation; today I tried to practice front squats with a light weight. Epic fail. I tried to standard, hold it in hands without all fingers while resting on collarbone approach and it seems like my wrists just don't like twisting back that much.

Had a try just holding the bar with all fingers around it. Even worse.

Finally I tried doing that weird arms crossed thing that I've seen people doing and the bar just rolled down my arms.

Any advice anyone? My wrists might be a little fudged b/c I hurt both of them on the punching machines while on holidays, so maybe when they recover I'll be able to get maximum flexibility in the and have less trouble, but I really wanna do some front squats soon.

So yeah, that's about it from me. Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated.

theBarzeen
08-21-2012, 04:22 PM
I have really inflexible wrists, but fairly flexible shoulders..... I hold the bar with arms crossed usually, just keep your back tight and elbows up.

If that doesn't work you could try using a set of straps like a few of my teammates use. Just choke your deadlift-cheater straps on the bar and hold the strap.

KJDANEXT0
08-21-2012, 04:34 PM
I have really inflexible wrists, but fairly flexible shoulders..... I hold the bar with arms crossed usually, just keep your back tight and elbows up.

If that doesn't work you could try using a set of straps like a few of my teammates use. Just choke your deadlift-cheater straps on the bar and hold the strap.

Cool. I might have a look at the straps if I can get my stuff nailed down on Monday. Btw just noticed your bio. 2403 total? That's shits crazy man congratz.

patricky
08-21-2012, 05:15 PM
Just get a harness. There is no reason not to do them with it unless you're competing in olympic lifts.

Get strength has a front/zercher harness I have one and can testify that it is awesome.

tom183
08-21-2012, 05:22 PM
I would go with theBarzeen's suggestion whilst working on exercises to improve your wrist flexibility. This vid may be helpful:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NRmdtSvmQQ

theBarzeen
08-22-2012, 05:35 PM
Cool. I might have a look at the straps if I can get my stuff nailed down on Monday. Btw just noticed your bio. 2403 total? That's shits crazy man congratz.

Thanks man, it's a start.

ScottYard
08-22-2012, 05:56 PM
I have a piece called the sting ray. Its from thre same people that make the manta ray. It is made for front squatting. The sting ray has plastic pads that clip on the bar and allow the bar to sit perfectly on the shoulders.

Tom Mutaffis
08-23-2012, 08:33 AM
If you do not have very good wrist flexibility and the clean grip is not comfortable you could try putting straps around the bar and holding onto them, it gives a pretty stable feel:

pmOMHvz4DgA