PDA

View Full Version : Brusier's Training Log

Pages : [1] 2

Bruiser
08-23-2012, 11:55 AM
Well, something happened to my account and I was accidentally "banned for spamming" this week. Which wiped out all my posts and my entire training log. So I'm not going back into all the f'n details about what has led me here, why I do it or any of that shit. So here's my journey.

Bruiser
08-23-2012, 11:55 AM
Wow, I actually spelled my journey title wrong... what a moron

Bruiser
08-23-2012, 11:59 AM
Since I did a push/pull Saturday, I decided not to bench and just hit tris/abs.

CGBP:
6x8-20

Tricep PD:
6x8-12

Each set was SS with abs

Standing rope crunch
Seated rope crunch
Muay Thai knee lifts

I recently switched from a rope to a V-Bar for PDs. Wow! I can handle about twice the weight and my triceps are blowing the hell up! Love it!

Bruiser
08-23-2012, 12:03 PM
High box squats:
Bar - 3x20
135 - 3x10
185 - 3x5
225 - 1x1
245 - 1x1
265 - 1x1
275 - 1x1

Because of back issues I've never been able to squat more than 225, and when I did that I weighed 270! So hitting 275 off a high box after 12 sets while weighing 225 was amazing!

Preacher curls:
3x8-12

DB curls:
3x8-10

EZ bar curls:
3x8

Bruiser
08-23-2012, 12:04 PM
My back was tight this morning from squats so I took it easy today.

OHP:
6x8-15 (various weight)

DB laterals:
3x10

Face pulls:
3x10-15

Front DB raise:
3x6

RobmoriRB
08-23-2012, 02:14 PM
solid work out and subbed....

Bruiser
08-24-2012, 09:07 AM
solid work out and subbed....

Thanks man

Bruiser
08-24-2012, 09:18 AM
Since I did a push/pull max out last Saturday and did heavy box squats Tuesday, I planned to take it easy today... Lol. But speed rack pulls felt good so I ended up working up to a PR! My best sumo DL was 315, and my best conventional was probably under 260. Conventional just never felt right, until today! Who woulda thought that pulling sumo all this year was nothing more than assistance work?! Lol. I'll be sticking with conventional stance now and I see hitting 400 by Nov/Dec easily!

Warm up:
Bar squats - 3x10
Rack pulls w/ bar - 3x5

Speed Rack Pulls (mid shin, sumo):
115 - 3x2
165 - 3x2

Deathlift:
135 x 1
225 x 1
295 x 1*
320 x 1**

*PR for conventional
**PR for ALL DL

Back work:
WG PDs - 3x10
Reverse grip PDs - 3x10
Fixed DD handle PDs - 3x10

Grip work:
4" grenade ball holds - 3x ALAP
CoC - 3x Failure
Wrist curls - 3x15
Reverse wrist curls - 3x8

Bruiser
08-25-2012, 06:58 PM
Since I'm now gonna be pulling conventional instead of sumo and my squat is doing great with no back pain I'm switching up my routine. I've had trouble with joint pain while running Westside/conjugate so I'm altering it a little to work best for me. I don't have assistance work listed but here it is.

Week 1:
Mon - ME Bench
Tue - DE squat
Wed - OFF
Thu - OHP
Fri - ME deadlift (sumo)

Week 2:
Mon - DE Bench
Tue - ME squat
Wed - OFF
Thu - OHP
Fri - DE deadlift (sumo)

Week 3:
Mon - ME incline bench
Tue - DE box squat
Wed - OFF
Thu - OHP
Fri - ME deadlift (conventional)

Week 4:
Mon - DE incline bench
Tue - ME box squat
Wed - OFF
Thu - OHP
Fri - DE deadlift (conventional)

Repeat:

I think this is gonna work great. Then either once a month or every other month on a Saturday I drive the 4 hours round trip to train at Jakked Hardcore in Montgomery, IL where I will do two ME lifts to test my strength (bench/DL, squat/DL, squat/bench).

I'm really psyched to out this into action!

J L S
08-25-2012, 07:14 PM
looking good man, im in to see how it all works out for you! congrats on the DL pr

Bruiser
08-25-2012, 07:21 PM
looking good man, im in to see how it all works out for you! congrats on the DL pr

Thanks man, I appreciate it!

Bruiser
08-26-2012, 08:45 AM
I usually just lift to see where I can get to. But I've decided to set some goals to work up to.

Short term: 1,000 lb total by November

Current: bench 265, squat 225, deathlift 320 = 810 lbs

This seems VERY doable now! Just a few weeks a go I thought I'd never be able to squat more than 225 because of my back, but after hitting 275 on high box squats after doing 10 sets... I'll have 300-350 by November easily. I haven't tested my squat in almost 8 months. I will be doing it a week from this Tuesday. Can't wait!

Long term: an elite total (RAW) by the time I'm 40 (2016)

This will be an extremely amazing accomplishment for me. After the botched back surgery a while back and being told I'd never lift 50 lbs again, then almost dying from pancreatitis this year (which I'm still on medication for)... this will be truly awesome! Plus I'm sure there's not too many 40 year olds in WI hitting Elite Totals RAW (if any)! Lol.

So this journey begins. And I can't wait to take you guys along for the ride...

Bruiser
08-27-2012, 07:56 AM
This was the beginning of my new training split. Went pretty good.

DE Bench (flat):
45% - 9x3 (varied grip)
+30 lbs chains - 2x5
+15 lbs chains - 2x5

Triceps:
CGBP - 3x5-8
V Bar Pushdowns - 3x6-8

Abs:
Rope crunch - 6xFailure

DONE

Bruiser
08-28-2012, 09:25 AM
Wow! This sucked today, bad. But I know what's wrong with my squats now. The most I've ever been able to do was 225, and then last week I crushed 275 off what I thought was a "high" box after 10 sets of 1-10 reps! Well, today I was working up to a max on squats and when I got to 185 it felt like 285 so I stopped. I figured I was just not recovered from ME deathlift last Friday. So I dragged my bench that I used for "high" box squats into the rack. I loaded 135 back on the bar and decided to just do high volume box work to punish my legs for being weak. On the first set i realized that depending on foot position, the bench was actually parallel, not high after all. On the second set I looked over at where I had the pins set for squats. Wtf?! I thought I had them set about 1-1.5" below parallel to catch the bar if I had to bail. But from where the bar was resting when my ass was on the box/bench... the pins were over 8" lower! No fucking wonder my squat sucks! Plus I know at the bottom of my squat my knees would come forward a little too. All this combined means I've been trying to squat about 8" or more BELOW parallel! Lol. I was wondering how I was box squatting over 50 lbs more than I could squat. Considering a lot of people box squat less than their 1RM. Duh! So now I know I need to get together with someone to help me with my squat before I try to max out again. So I'm gonna have to change up my new split until I can. It's just too hard training by myself to know when I've hit deep enough. So until I get someone to help me with my squat (1-2 weeks is all) I'm going to keep doing box squats since I KNOW that takes me to parallel and stay away from regular squats. I don't wanna risk going to deep and ending up with an injury from trying to correct the shit myself. So although it was a shit session, I learned a lot.

Squats:
Bar - 3x10
135 - 3x5
155 - 1x1
185 - 1x1

Box Squats:
135 - 3x10
185 - 3x10

Biceps:
Hammer curls - 3x10
Preacher curls - 3x10
DB curls - 3x10

DONE

Bruiser
08-28-2012, 09:31 AM
I've decided that for my first PL meet I'm going to do the 2013 Relentless meet in MN. It's a huge fundraising event for the Hope Kids foundation. I'll get to be under the same bar as some amazing lifters, great friends and even better people. I'll be sharing that experience with Marshall "Freakshow" Johnson, "Nasty" Neil Heisick and Pamela Bosko. Not to mention a lot of other lifters. This will be a great experience for me and my whole family. My wife even likes the idea and we'll be taking the kids along with us for the 10 hour round trip drive. I can't wait...

Bruiser
08-30-2012, 09:34 AM
Crushed some OHP and delts tody. Decided to tweak my split for OHP the way I use to. The last time I did this I was putting 5-10 lbs on my OHP and bench every month. I don't know why I got away from it, other than it seemed weird doing conjugate work on basically an assistance exercise. But here we go again.

Week 1 - DE OHP
Week 2 - High volume OHP
Week 3 - ME OHP
Week 4 - no OHP

Plus I found I'll be training in Madison at Ford's Gym on the 14th so I can work with a buddy of mine on my squat form. He's a PL and a certified strength and conditioning coach. Should be just what I need.

Delts:
Face pulls - 5x10-12
Front DB raises - 5x8-10
Seated DB Laterals - 5x10-15

OHP:
Bar - 3x10
95 lbs (50-55%) - 8x3
95 lbs 1x18

DONE

J L S
08-31-2012, 05:03 AM
nice work man, with the squats you could set up a camera or prop your phone up somewhere to see your depth, The idea of keeping a box in there is good though, you can use it as a depth guage for normal squats, just touch the box and fire up, dont have to pause on it.

your story is pretty awesome and its good to see somebody picking meets! get after it buddy! nice work

Bruiser
08-31-2012, 07:52 AM
nice work man, with the squats you could set up a camera or prop your phone up somewhere to see your depth, The idea of keeping a box in there is good though, you can use it as a depth guage for normal squats, just touch the box and fire up, dont have to pause on it.

your story is pretty awesome and its good to see somebody picking meets! get after it buddy! nice work

Thanks man. I'm pretty psyched right now. My goal of 1,000+ total by Nov looks like it'll be happeneing, once I get help with my squat all my big lifts will dialed in AND I've got my meet picked out. It's such a great cause with some amazing lifters there that it'll be the perfect meet for me.

I'm super psyched about getting my squat dialed in. It's gonna help my total so much! Between bringing up my squat and strengthening my deathlift... my total is gonna keep climbing and climbing! Not bad for an old man! Lol.

It's off to do DE DL, back and grip work. Then I'm taking my oldest son (13 yr old) to go see Dark Knight Rises. Gonna ben a good day.

Bruiser
08-31-2012, 09:14 AM
Had a real good session this morning. I've never been able to really explode from the floor with deads, even on DE/speed work. Today was a breeze. 50% felt like 25%! I'm giving the credit to my box squats this past few weeks and to the crew at Jakked Hardcore for helping me dial in my form. 400 is right around the corner!

DE Deathlift:
160 lbs (50%) - 9x1
I did three sets DO grip, three with alt grip right out, and three with alt grip left out. I've never had much strength with alt grip, if anything my strength would drop SEVERELY. Everything is just falling into place right now.

Sumo Pulls:
160 lbs - 3x6-8

Back:
WG Pulldowns - 3x10
Reverse grip Pulldowns - 3x10
Fixed DD handle PDs - 3x10

Grip:
Reverse wrist curls - 3x8
Wrist curls - 3x15
CoC - 3xFail

DONE

J L S
08-31-2012, 03:10 PM
nice man! you found a crew to train with already? if so thats sick!

Bruiser
08-31-2012, 06:37 PM
nice man! you found a crew to train with already? if so thats sick!

I've been training with the PowerCorps down in Montgomery, IL once a month. They've helped me out a lot. Now I'm gonna be going up to Madison to train with a buddy of mine who is a certified strength and conditioning coach. So I'll be working out at two locations not counting the gym in my garage.

Bruiser
09-03-2012, 09:26 AM
This morning I was down to 220 lbs! I love this intermittent fasting shit. My strength is actually going up and I'm burning fat like a muthafucka! Lol. I figured it out and the way I'm doing it, I'm eating more calories on Sat-Sun than I do Mon-Fri! But the fat is just falling off me.

Wanted to get a new PR on bench today, but was thrilled to hit my previous PR at another 10 lbs lighter. Plus the only times I've hit 265 bench (March/April at bw of 270 & 2 weeks ago at bw of 230) I was running orals. So 265 at 220 bw w/out Dbol is HUGE!

ME Bench:
Bar - 3x10
135x5
185x5
205x3
225x1
245x1
260x1
270x0
265x1

Triceps:
CGBP - 5x10
V bar Pushdowns - 5x10

Abs:
Standing rope crunch - 5x Failure

DONE

Bruiser
09-03-2012, 09:35 AM
Now that I thought I had my new split/program figured out... It's all coming to an end. I was contacted by big man Brandon Lilly about running his Cube Training System for 10 weeks for FREE! Wow! I'll be starting it Sept 17th. The monday after I work with my strength and conditioning coach to fix my squat.

The Cube Training is similar to what I was trying to come up with. It's a 3 week rotating conjugate style program. I really love what I've seen so far. It's gonna help me reach my goals in no time!

So with getting to work with Coach Bryan to fix my squat, training with the PowerCorps at Jakked Hardcore and running Brandon Lilly's program... I feel like a noob just getting started. Because I haven't even come close to my potential with having these amazing PLs working with me.

I truly love the camaraderie in this sport!

J L S
09-03-2012, 10:08 AM
Damn haha! All falling into place! You're a lucky dude! Wish I was in your position! Did you contact Brandon yourself or did he message you!? Etc. how did it come about!

I worked with josh Bryant for a while and he was great, it's good to have somebody else help with your training so you can just get in there and do the fun part! LIFT!

Bruiser
09-03-2012, 10:35 AM
Damn haha! All falling into place! You're a lucky dude! Wish I was in your position! Did you contact Brandon yourself or did he message you!? Etc. how did it come about!

I worked with josh Bryant for a while and he was great, it's good to have somebody else help with your training so you can just get in there and do the fun part! LIFT!

I had seen on Facebook that Brandon was competing against Brian Carrol in a CGBP contest for charity. And he had done it for Autimsm Speaks. I messaged him to thank him for that, seeing as my youngest son has Autism. After chatting on FB for a while he asked me to take part in it! I was floored man! Even though I won't be working with him in person, I'll be able to contact him whenever I need to, so for someone that lives in a different state it's just as good as a training partner. Which is something I've never had until recently. I train by myself in the gym I built in my garage. So having all these people helping me now is amazing!

J L S
09-03-2012, 02:06 PM
I had seen on Facebook that Brandon was competing against Brian Carrol in a CGBP contest for charity. And he had done it for Autimsm Speaks. I messaged him to thank him for that, seeing as my youngest son has Autism. After chatting on FB for a while he asked me to take part in it! I was floored man! Even though I won't be working with him in person, I'll be able to contact him whenever I need to, so for someone that lives in a different state it's just as good as a training partner. Which is something I've never had until recently. I train by myself in the gym I built in my garage. So having all these people helping me now is amazing!

thats awesome

Bruiser
09-04-2012, 08:19 AM
I've decided to stay with box squats until I work with Coach Bryan and he has a chance to fix my squat form. With box squats I can stay tight and don't go too deep. It felt good today. I was a little sore from my lower back to my knees from really focusing on leg drive yesterday during ME bench. So I didn't go too heavy today.

Box Squat:
Bar - 3x10
135 - 3x5
205 - 3x3
255 - 3x2
135 - 1x18

Biceps:
DB curls - 3x10
One arm cable curls - 3x10
Hammer curls - 3x10

DONE

Bruiser
09-06-2012, 09:12 AM
Had an amazing day in the gym/garage today. My puppy even laid on the floor and watched today! :) Got a PR on OHP and felt like I had 5-10 more lbs in the tank. But I still had the rest of my Delt session to do. So I left the next PR for a couple weeks! Actually had to cut it short today because the pump was so sick that I was losing ROM! lol

OHP:
Bar - 3x10
95x5
115x4
135x3
155x2
170x1
190x1*
115x12

*5 lb PR. Last one was 185 at a bw of 270. So I'll take 190 at a bw of 220-225!

Delts/Abs giant set:
1. Rope crunch x Fail
2. Face pulls x 10
3. Seated front DB raise x 8
4. DB laterals x 10
1-4 repeated five times with no rest except 30 sec rest between giant sets.

DONE

J L S
09-06-2012, 03:06 PM
nice work bruiser, congrats on the PR

Bruiser
09-07-2012, 09:59 AM
nice work bruiser, congrats on the PR

Thanks man. They just keep coming! Lol

Bruiser
09-07-2012, 10:06 AM
Decided to hit up some heavy deads today even though I just did a ME two weeks ago. Because next week I gotta swap my DL and squat day since I'm working on my squat with Coach on Friday. So I pulled heavy and called it a day. Didn't do my usual other back work (PDs, rows, etc) since I'll be doing that Tuesday. But once again got another PR! AND I'm down another 5-10 lbs in weight since my last PR! I like this, lose 5-10 lbs and lift 5-10 lbs more every 2 weeks. A muthafucka could get use to this shit! Lol. Not bad for lifting on an empty stomach with this intermittent fasting.

Deathliftt:
135 - 3x3
225 - 3x1
275 x 1
305 x 1 chalk
325 x 1 alt grip *(PR)

DONE

PWO:
Grapefruit juice
BCAA powder
Amino tablets

PostPWO:
Milk
60g whey

J L S
09-07-2012, 04:38 PM
nice job haha milk these gains for all they are worth at the moment!

Bruiser
09-10-2012, 09:51 AM
Changed up my split this week. Training Sun, Mon, Tue and taking Wed and Thu off so I can be fully rested for squat training with Coach on Friday.

Bench:
Bar - 3x15
135 - 3x10
185 - 3x10

Incline Bench:
Bar - 3x15
135 - 6x10

Triceps:
V Bar Pushdowns - 3x10
OHDB Ext - 3x10
CGBP - 3x10

Abs:
Standing rope crunch - 6x Failure

DONE

Bruiser
09-10-2012, 09:57 AM
Hit up speed DL today instead of squatting so I'm fresh for Friday. Felt pretty good after just maxing out on Friday!

Deathlift:
185 - 9x1

Back:
Good Mornings - 3x10
Wide grip Pulldowns - 3x10
DD handle Pulldowns - 3x10

Biceps:
DB curls - 3x10
Preacher curls - 3x10
Hammer curls - 3x10

DONE

RobmoriRB
09-10-2012, 11:39 AM
one hell of a session, your arms must be tired.....keep it up

J L S
09-10-2012, 02:12 PM
nice work bruiser!

Bruiser
09-10-2012, 06:04 PM
one hell of a session, your arms must be tired.....keep it up

Hahaha yeah they're fucking fried man! I usually do biceps on Squat day, but had to change up and DL today since I'm working with a coach on Friday to fix my squat. So all that pulling and curling killed em today! Lol

nice work bruiser!

Thanks man.

Bruiser
09-12-2012, 05:39 AM
Taking a few days off from training this week. Decided I wanted to have a full three days of recovery before squat training on Friday. I also took a break from my CBL diet for three days as week so I can carb up before Friday. Always best to be at full potential when I get to work with a strength coach.

Bruiser
09-14-2012, 12:35 PM
I just got done working with my strength coach. Not good. He came down to my place and we worked in my gym/garage. He basically let me know (which I already knew) that my squat sucks and with all my injuries I should just focus on bench and deadlift. Fucking yay. I guess I can kiss my short term and long term goals goodbye after all. There won't be a 1,000 lb total before Nov. No 1,200 lb total by March. No Elite total by the time I'm 40. Time to reconfigure and decide where my training is going to go from here.

J L S
09-15-2012, 05:43 AM
thats a pretty negative outlook on things bruiser, Id never ever say just focus on two lifts, its not worth squatting. Sounds ridiculous if you ask me for somebody to even tell you that. How serious are the injuries?

Im not discrediting your strength coach but thats a pretty outrageous statement unless squatting is going to put you in a wheelchair by the time you are 40 or something. You've been squatting upto now so it cant be that bad surely?

dont be too down anyway regardless! hold that head up high and chase those goals.

RobmoriRB
09-15-2012, 07:05 AM
as JLS said, if you squatted till now why stop? Everyone has a weakness that they need build up

Bruiser
09-17-2012, 09:31 AM
thats a pretty negative outlook on things bruiser, Id never ever say just focus on two lifts, its not worth squatting. Sounds ridiculous if you ask me for somebody to even tell you that. How serious are the injuries?

Im not discrediting your strength coach but thats a pretty outrageous statement unless squatting is going to put you in a wheelchair by the time you are 40 or something. You've been squatting upto now so it cant be that bad surely?

dont be too down anyway regardless! hold that head up high and chase those goals.

as JLS said, if you squatted till now why stop? Everyone has a weakness that they need build up

He wasn't wrong about the fact that I shouldn't be squatting though. I had a botched back surgery five years ago. They went in to fix one disk but dragged the scalpel across and damaged two others while in there. They never said anything and it took them 6 months to get me into PT. By that time I had so much scar tissue built up that it caused nerve damage as well. I ended up in a wheel chair for a while, and wilted away to 130 lbs (from 245). I've strengthened my back and core a ridiculus amount since then, even deathlifting over 300 now, which I never thought I'd do. But when I put the weight on my shoulders it just crushes my spine. On top of that I've got an epigastric hernia that likes to pop out once a week, and I spent 5 weeks in the hospital with pancreatitis and ulcerative colitis this year and almost died from it. I'm still dealing with the both the pancreatitis and colitis and get painful flareups. So although the idea of not squatting heavy sickens me, I know deep down that it's probably the smart thing. But hell, if I have to I'll just do box squats and squat 135 for sets of 20! lol. I'll mainly use that to build my DL now.

J L S
09-17-2012, 09:36 AM
thats some serious shit brusier! I prefer the end of that sentiment to that post above though! staying positive and find a way to train around it, not through it! Hell, if you have to squat like that all through training and only squat heavy once a month or even just at a meet its better than nothing!

Bruiser
09-17-2012, 09:37 AM
Never heard back from Lilly about starting the Cube Method, so I just went ahead and hit ME Bench today. Was damn happy with the results, considering I tweaked my neck over the weekend and I'm tight from my left ear down my trap and into my shoulder. Can't wait tpfor our insurance to kick in again so I can get to the fuckin chiropractor!

ME Bench:
Bar - 3x10
135 - 3x5
185 - 1x3
215 - 1x1
230 - 1x1
255 - 1x1
270 - 1x1* PR

IBP:
Various weight - 5x10, 1x30

CGBP:
5x10

V-Bar Pushdowns:
5x10

Standing Rope Crunch:
5xFailure

DONE

Bruiser
09-18-2012, 11:37 AM
Almost didn't even lift today. Pretty sure I got another sinus infection, yay. Especially fun with no health insurance. And it's actually caused by not getting to the chiroprator to get adjusted! Lol. Same thing happened last year. My neck and cervicals get popped out of alignment and it causes my eustachian tube to collapse which causes my sinuses to block up and get infected. Can you say fun? Ughhhh. So needless to say high volume squatting was a nightmare with no balance whatsoever. I wanted to hammer my hammies too but couldn't do leg curls because when I lay down the sinus pressure makes my eyes want to pop out, hahaha. So I did what I could and called it a day, then I went and bought enough cold medicine to make a meth cook jealous... So I just varied foot position from wide stance to close to hit quads, glutes and hams. Also varied depth too, went ATG (ass to grass) for the light sets and then hit high box for the 135.

Squats:
ATG -
Bar - 5x15
95 - 5x10
High Box -
135 - 5x10

Biceps:
DB curls - 3x10
Hammers - 3x10
Preachers - 3x10
One arm cables - 3x10

DONE

J L S
09-19-2012, 05:19 AM
still getting it done in the face of adversity!! what i like to see!

Bruiser
09-20-2012, 08:16 AM
still getting it done in the face of adversity!! what i like to see!

Thanks. Of all the things that go with being sick, the sinus pressure has got to be the worst! Every time I bend over it feels like my eyeballs are gonna pop out of my head! Lol.

Bruiser
09-20-2012, 08:22 AM
It was nice and chilly in the gym/garage today. Made it hard to warm up the shoulders but it was nice to not be dripping with sweat by the second set. I love shoulder day! I crush them in 30 minutes or less. But then I gotta sit around for an hour before I can shower because I can't lift my arms up! Lol. Switched it up today and did giant sets and then finished with REAL light OHP. By the time I was done with the giant sets the bar alone felt like it weighed 100 lbs. For the sets I alternated between heavy andnlight weights so I could alternate between 10-20 reps. My delts are fucking fried...

Giant Shoulder Set:
1. Face Pulls - 10-20 reps
2. Front DB Raises - 10-20 reps
3. DB Lateral Raises - 10-20 reps
1-3 repeated four times with only 60 seconds rest between giant sets.

OHP:
Bar - 3x10
65 lbs - 3x8
85 lbs - 3x6
Bar - 1x25

DONE

J L S
09-20-2012, 02:06 PM
nice effective session bruiser! I see alot of people always complaining they can never make their delts sore, or never feel them after a 'shoulder workout'.. always makes me laugh. youve smashed yours with some very simple and quick exercises

Bruiser
09-20-2012, 03:12 PM
nice effective session bruiser! I see alot of people always complaining they can never make their delts sore, or never feel them after a 'shoulder workout'.. always makes me laugh. youve smashed yours with some very simple and quick exercises

I always love crushing them with giant sets. By the last one I'm usually using only like 5-10 lb DBs for raises because they are so shredded! I wish I woulda got a picture of how swole my delts were after that last burnout set of OHP with just the bar! Lol. The bad part was that I forgot I had to get video of my son's sing at school today. That video camera felt like I was holding up a 45 lb plate! Lol

Bruiser
09-21-2012, 12:49 PM
Had to run some errands today so I got to training about three hours later than I normally do. Had a HUGE breakfast at the truckstop right before I trained... not sure how I held it down, but it must've helped me with my DL! Lol. The bar was just jumping off the ground today! Crushed my 1RM by 30 muthafuckin pounds! And I JUST maxed out and put another 5 lbs on my DL 2 fucking weeks ago! Damn!

PreWO meal:
20 oz country fried steak
Sausage gravy
Hash browns
3 eggs
Toast
Cheesecake

Deathlift:
135 - 3x3
185 - 3x3
225 - 2x1
275x1
315x1
335x1* (10 lb PR)
345x1** (20 lb PR)
355x1*** (30 lb PR)

DONE

Needless to say the plan of hitting my upper back with pull downs and rows fell to the wayside.

PWO:
Grapefruit Juice
BCAA powder
Powerade Powder
Amino Tabs
Foam rolling
Heating pad
Naproxen
And I plan on crying a little bit later... Lol

J L S
09-22-2012, 12:38 PM
hahaha I plan on crying a bit later! you're progress with the deadlift makes me sick, smashing these PR's and LBS out of nowhere, you're gonna be knocking on 405's door in no time at all at this rate

Bruiser
09-22-2012, 12:42 PM
hahaha I plan on crying a bit later! you're progress with the deadlift makes me sick, smashing these PR's and LBS out of nowhere, you're gonna be knocking on 405's door in no time at all at this rate

Thanks. My goal is to pull 4 plates per side by November! And then bench 3 plates per by December!

Bruiser
09-24-2012, 09:37 AM
A nice chilly day out in the gym/garage this morning. Even broke out the Blue Heat! I wish it would stay this temperature year round. But I know just around the corner is the cold ass Wisconsin winter and I'll be training in temperatures dipping below 30 degrees soon enough. Ughhhh. Dynamic work went real good. Broke out the chains today and did a little more volume on my sets. Thanks J, like you said. If I'm doing sets of 5, that means I'm hitting 2 more reps on every speed set that my competition isn't doing!

DE BENCH:
165 lbs (60%) - 9x5 (3 CG, 3 WG, 3 standard)
+35 lbs chains - 2x5
+45 lbs chains - 2x5
Bar - 1x35

INCLINE BENCH:
3x10
3x10 with Fat Griz
Bar - 1x20

(I love doing that last burnout set with just the bar weight! Get pumped to holy fucking hell. Plus, since I started doing that I've seen a lot of new growth.)

TRICEPS:
V-Bar Pushdowns - 6x10

That was it for tris since they were fried from all the bench work.

ABS:
Rope Crunches - 9xFail

DONE

J L S
09-24-2012, 11:31 AM
nice work bruiser, its good to change things up every now and then, the extra reps should help build some extra muscle muahaha

Bruiser
09-25-2012, 09:51 AM
nice work bruiser, its good to change things up every now and then, the extra reps should help build some extra muscle muahaha

You know all of us powerlifters secretly wanna be bodybuilders... admit it! Lol. Actually since I started doing more pretty boy BB type shit, I've put on a good base and my lifts have skyrocketed as you've seen! I kept stalling out and hitting plateaus when I was running Westside, but now that I'm alternating between ME, speed and high volume I haven't been stuck on a weight for more than 12 weeks in forever! I can't wait to start Lilly's Cube Method next week! That's the whole basis of his training. He sent me the stuff over the weekend and I should get it today or tomorrow!

Bruiser
09-25-2012, 09:54 AM
Had a tweak in my knee last night and this morning so I took it easy and just did a few sets of light ATG squats and then hit the extensions and curls. Felt good and I destroyed my hams! When I walked outta the garage I looked like Bambi on ice! Lol.

SQUATS:
Barbell - 3x10 (close stance)
95 lbs - 3x10 (wide stance)
Barbell - 1x20

LEGS:
Extensions - 3x10-15
Curls - 3x10-15

BICEPS:
DB curls - 3x10
Barbell curls - 3x8
Preacher curls - 3x10
One arm cable curls - 3x8-10

DONE

J L S
09-25-2012, 02:33 PM
oh definitely haha! I base alot of my acc. work around higher muscle building reps and very rarely now do singles for ME work! I still want to give floor press a good run for speed work, I think it could be really effective, I bet you get some of that in brandons methods!

keep us updated! cant wait to see what he gets you doing! I would brace yourself for some chocolate milk too from what ive been reading from others!

Bruiser
09-27-2012, 06:41 AM
In about 1.5-2 hours I'll be hitting OHP. My previous best from three weeks ago was 190. I'm down another 5 lbs in bw and I WILL HIT 200 lbs today! Or die trying bitches. If this is my last post, it means I didn't lock it out and dropped it on my head. Wish me luck. Time for some chalk, Animal Rage, Blue Heat and Nose Tork...

Bruiser
09-27-2012, 12:03 PM
Hit up OHP hoping for a 10 lb PR of 200. Missed it when something strained in my lower back half way up. But I tried a second time, missed it. Dropped back to 195 and just squeaked it out. Would have went up easy if I hit it before the 200 fails, but still put 5 lbs on my OHP.

OHP:
Bar - 3x10
95 x 5
135 x 3
165 x 1
185 x 1
200 x 0
200 x 0
195 x 1* PR
115 x 10
Bar x 30

DELTS:
1. Face pulls x 10
2. Front DB raises x 10
3. DB laterals x 10
1-3 repeated 3 times with no rest at all not even between supersets.

Delts = FRIED!

DONE

J L S
09-27-2012, 01:36 PM
nice job bruiser! at least you got a max to work with now!

Bruiser
09-28-2012, 01:27 PM
nice job bruiser! at least you got a max to work with now!

Thanks J! I forgot how much heavy OHP kills my lower back! DL was brutal today! Lol

Bruiser
09-28-2012, 01:31 PM
DEATHLIFT:
295 - 4x1
295 - 2x2
315 - 4x1
315 - 2x2
225 - 6x2
225 - 1x10

Every set I varied either weight, reps, grip or stance. Really tried to crush it from every angle. Hell, I even snuck in my speed work with 225. It worked because by the time I was done my calluses were torn and bleeding and so were my shins. I was barely able to hold the handle to do a few sets of Pulldowns because of how fucked my hands are! Lol

Fixed DD Handle PDs:
4x10

DONE

Bruiser
10-01-2012, 09:36 AM
Changed up my split a little so I can focus more on each lift and really crush my assistance work. I've been doing triceps on Monday with bench but I've only been able to get maybe 5 sets of tri work in because of how fried they are after benching. So I'm moving bis and tris to Wednesday so I can focus on really crushing each lift on it's day. By doing this I was able to hit bench for over an HOUR AND A HALF today! Lol. Sure it will give me one less recovery day during the week because I'll be going Mon-Fri instead of having Wed off, but it'll be well worth it. For instance today I put another 5 lbs on my bench and then continued to bench for another hour! Holy fucking swollen tits! Damn! Lol. After my PR I tried 280 lbs, but the wife came into the garage/gym to smoke a cig and the dog was running around so I lost focus and missed it. But I'll still hit 300 by November!

BENCH:
Bar - 3x10
115x5
185x3
235x1
250x1
265x1
275x1* PR
280x0 FAIL
255x1
235x2
215x6
185x10
150x12
115x17
Bar x 50 (this was fucking brutal!)

IBP:
115 - 3x8-10

CABLE CRUNCHES:
4xFAILURE

DONE

J L S
10-01-2012, 02:21 PM
nice job brusier. thats alot of benching!

Bruiser
10-01-2012, 03:09 PM
nice job brusier. thats alot of benching!

Thanks. I'm trying to really overload my chest without frying my CNS so I can keep going heavy and maxing out every other week. I WILL bench 300 by November! Plus with moving my tricep work to Wednesday it gave me an extra 45 minutes to destroy my chest! I'm gonna love this new 5 day split... until I can't move tomorrow! Lol.

Bruiser
10-02-2012, 11:56 AM
My whole body was sore after that marathon bench session yesterday, so squats didn't go well at all. Still got a few good sets in and did some curls and extensions too. Short, sweet and brutal... just like my exGfs!

SQUAT:
Bar - 3x15
95 - 5x10
Bar x 20

LEG CURLS:
5x10

LEG EXT:
5x10

DONE

Bruiser
10-03-2012, 12:26 PM
Holy fuck! I haven't done an arms only training session in over a year. I forgot how sick the pump is. I had to stop early because I couldn't bend my damn arms! Lol. Of course, the fact that I did all supersets probably didn't help...

SUPSERSET #1:
CGBP x 10-20 reps
DB curls x 10-15 reps
Repeated for 6 supersets.

SS #2:
V-Bar Pushdowns x 10 reps
Barbell curls x 10 reps
Repeated for 3 supersets.

SS #3:
V-Bar Pushdowns x 15 reps
Preacher Curls x 8-10 reps
Repeated for 3 supersets.

DONE

Bruiser
10-04-2012, 09:24 AM
Had a rough shoulder day. My elbows were shot from the arm day yesterday. Still got a decent session in though. Nothing special, just some light weight work since my front delts were still pretty sore from maxing out on bench Monday.

OHP:
5x15

DELT SS:
1. Face Pulls x 10
2. Front raises x 10
3. DB laterals x 10
1-3 repeated with no rest for 3 supersets.

DONE

PWO:
Pint of whole milk
60g whey
1/2 lb bacon

Bruiser
10-05-2012, 10:11 AM
Ahhhh, it's Friday! Deathlift day, my favorite day of the week. My warmup felt like I was lifting a piece of PVC pipe, so I decided to just keep going again. And damn! Another 20 lb PR! Wtf?! Loving this. And once again, no upper back work. I think I'll just do upper back work every other Friday on DE day. Seems to be working so far! Lol.

DEATHLIFT:
135x3
185x3
225x3
275x1
325x1
365x1* 10 lb PR
375x1** 20 lb PR

DONE

I think one of the reasons I'm hitting so many PRs on DL is that I'm not wasting so much fucking time warming up and making small jumps in weight. I use to do 3 sets of 3 with 135, 185 and then a couple doubles at 225. Now I'm just going by the feel of it. And before I was making 5-10 lb jumps between attempts, and now once I get within 20-30 lbs of my max I just go right for a PR. That's 60 lbs I've put on my DL in a month! Could've got 380 up but I don't use 2 1/2 lb plates... Lol.

Bruiser
10-08-2012, 11:50 AM
Pretty sore this morning still after the epic DL session Friday and then working on the house all weekend and cleaning out the garage/gym. But went in planning on just some heavy work but after quite a few sets, everything felt really light. So I did some chain work and finished with some IBP.

BENCH:
Bar - 3x15
135 x 10
185 x 10
225 x 5
245 x 3
255 x 2* rep PR (I've only hit singles of that before)
245 (90%) - 3x3
225 (80%) - 3x5
+30 lbs chains - 3x2
+45 lbs chains - 3x2
115 x 30

IBP:
115 - 5x8-10

DONE

Bruiser
10-10-2012, 05:03 PM
Went to squat yesterday, squatted the empty bar for warmup and my lower back just felt off. So I reracked it and walked out.

Bruiser
10-10-2012, 05:11 PM
Had a great high volume and heavy arm day today. Beat the fuck outta my arms for over 1 1/2 hours! My strength is definitely still on the upswing. After 15 sets of CGBP and some heavy singles I hit a 30 lb PR of 255. Probably coulda got over 275 if I hadn't done so many sets before hand. Can't wait to test my bench in 2 weeks!

TRICEPS:
CGBP:
Bar - 5x15
95 - 5x10
185 - 5x5
215 x 3
235 x 1* (10 lb PR)
255 x 1** (30 lb PR)
115 x 25

V-BAR PDs:
5x20

GRIP/FOREARMS:
CoC:
5 x Fail

WRIST CURLS:
5x15

REVERSE WRIST CURLS:
5x10

BICEPS:
Barbell Curl:
10x5-10

DB Curl:
5x10

Preacher Curls:
5x10

DONE

Bruiser
10-11-2012, 08:57 AM
Had a quick shoulder day today. I'm pretty damn sore from benching Monday and all the close grip work yesterday. Plus I have to go help set up for Fall Fest at my son's school in a couple hours.

OHP:
3x15

Face Pulls:
3x10

Front DB Raise:
3x10

DB Lateral Raise:
3x10

DONE

Bruiser
10-12-2012, 10:47 AM
Cold out this morning and my back was real tight so I warmed up with some light rack pulls and then went into my DL work. Hit my upper back pretty good between sets too. The speed work with 65% felt like nothing! I had trouble keeping my feet flat actually! It kept feeling like my feet were gonna leave the ground... Nice!

Rack Pulls:
3x5

Deathlift:
135 - 5x5
215 (65%) - 10x1

Wide Grip Pulldowns:
6x20

Fixed DD Handle Pulldowns:
6x15

Standing Rope Crunches:
10x Fail

DONE

Bruiser
10-15-2012, 09:47 AM
Had a decent bench day today. Should've been better but I'm starting to feel like I may need to back it down here a but until Nov 3 when I do my push/pull test at Jakked. I've been going full throttle for about two months and just training by how my strength is feeling, which means WAY TOO MANY max out days. Then with hitting heavy triceps and OHP during the week, I feel like I'm overtraining a bit and my bench is stalling out. My elbows were just shot to shit today. Gonna back it down for the next two weeks on upper body work and just do DE stuff until I go for a new max in Nov. Still gonna crush DL though on Friday! So today I hit singles to 95%, hit my 5x5 at 75% and finished with DE work at 45%.

BENCH:
Bar - 3x20
135 x 10
185 x 1
205 x 1
225 x 1
245 x 1
255 x 1
265 x 1 (95%)

205 - 5x5 (75%)

135 - 9x3 (45%) various grips

Abs:
Standing Cable Crunch:
10 x Fail

DONE

Bruiser
10-16-2012, 10:04 AM
Just wasn't feeling it today again so I'm kinda using this week as a deload. Except for Friday since I'm planning on a max out day on DL. Plus I didn't want to overdo it with my gameplay for Friday. Went in and just hit 10 quick sets (actually 5 supersets) and called it a day. Left my hammies alone since I'm gonna need them at 100% for pulling.

SQUATS/LEGS:
Squat - 5x5
Leg Ext - 5x10-15

DONE

It was actually kind of a fun session. I'd squat then jump on the leg extensions right away. Took about 1-2 minutes between supersets. Was done in 15 minutes or so. But I've got jello legs so it worked! Lol.

Bruiser
10-17-2012, 09:30 AM
Stuck with my plan of going light this week and just did a few sets of everything. I use to love doing skull crushers but now it kills my elbows. So I came up with a new idea. I've got a tower attachment on my rack with low and high pulleys. So I hooked my tricep rope up to the low one, laid down on the bench and did a modified skully. I only put like 40 lbs on it and after 3 sets my triceps were fried! I'm def keeping this one in my arsenal!

TRICEPS:
V-Bar pushdowns - 3x15
OHDB Extensions - 3x10
Rope Skullcrushers - 3x10

BICEPS:
Barbell Curls - 3x10
Preacher Curls - 3x10
Rope Hammer Curls - 3x10

GRIP/FOREARMS:
Wrist Curls - 3x15
Reverse Wrist Curls - 3x10
CoC - 3x fail

ABS:
Standing Rope Crunch - 3x fail

DONE

Bruiser
10-18-2012, 10:11 AM
Usually Friday is DL day, but I couldn't fucking wait any longer! Who woulda thought a year ago that the guy who used every excuse in the book so he wouldn't have to DL would end up wishing he could pull 7 days a week?! Lol.

DEATHLIFT:
135 - 3x3
225 - 2x1
275 x 1
315 x 1
365 x 1
385 x 1* (10 lb PR)
395 x 0

DONE

That last pull was the first time I missed a DL attempt since August! I think if I woulda jumped to 390 instead of 385 I woulda had that. But I was spent by the time attempted the last one. I'll take another 10 lb PR though. That elusive 400 in Nov is right around the corner and within reach...

J L S
10-19-2012, 03:04 AM
nice work bruiser, that 405 is coming!

Bruiser
10-19-2012, 05:29 AM
nice work bruiser, that 405 is coming!

Holy shit! You're alive! Lol. Thanks man. Good luck at your meet.

Bruiser
10-19-2012, 10:04 AM
Went in and hit nothing but OHP today. My back and even rear delts are fried from pulling yesterday. Had a good day though.

OHP:
Bar - 3x20
95 - 5x5
115 - 4x4
135 - 3x3
155 - 2x2
175 - 1x1

DONE

Bruiser
10-22-2012, 09:58 AM
It was nice and warm in the gym today so it didn't take as much to warm up. Still smeared myself in Blue Heat though. My joints are taking a beating lately. Can't wait to get the Animal PM I won and see if it helps with my recovery! Since I'm not gonna bench next Monday and save it up for the 3rd I went ahead and worked up to my max and then hit some high volume flat and incline.

BENCH:
Bar - 3x20
115 - 5x5
185 - 3x3
205 x 1
225 x 1
245 x 1
265 x 1
275 x 1
255 - 3x1
215 - 5x5
115 - 5x10-20

IBP:
115 - 5x10-15
Bar x 30

ABS:
Standing rope crunch - 10x Fail

DONE

Bruiser
10-23-2012, 08:30 AM
It's rainy, foggy and just shitty out today. So as an old man, my joints are killing me! Lol. But got warmed up good and went heavier than I have on a while on squats. Still when I get close to 200, my lower back just feels crushed. So I kept it a little lighter then dropped down for some rep work. Finished off with the leg attachment and got my legs swollen as hell.

SQUATS:
Bar - 3x5
95 - 3x5
115 x 1
155 x 1
185 x 1
115 - 3x5

LEG CURLS:
3x10

LEG EXTENSIONS:
3x10

DONE

Bruiser
10-24-2012, 09:58 AM
Swole as fuck!

V-BAR PUSHDOWNS:
10x20

BARBELL CURLS:
10x10

CoC:
5 x Fail

WRIST CURLS:
5x15

REVERSE WRIST CURLS:
5x10

DONE

J L S
10-24-2012, 02:51 PM
nice bruiser, putting some good work in.

Bruiser
10-25-2012, 10:32 AM
nice bruiser, putting some good work in.

Thanks man. Congrats again on your meet!

Bruiser
10-25-2012, 10:33 AM
PreWO:
PreWO powder
Pancake syrup

Blue Heat

OHP:
Bar - 3x20
125 - 4x4
145 - 3x3
165 - 2x2
185 - 1x1

LATERAL RAISE:
3x6,10,15

FACE PULLS:
3x10,12,15

DONE

PWO:
16 oz whole milk
60g whey
Pop Tarts

J L S
10-25-2012, 01:23 PM
whole milk! fuck yeah! thanks for the congrats! keep the good sessions coming buddy

Bruiser
10-26-2012, 09:03 AM
whole milk! fuck yeah! thanks for the congrats! keep the good sessions coming buddy

Gotta drink my gallon of whole milk EVERY DAY!

Bruiser
10-26-2012, 09:04 AM
Hit up a quick back session today. Nothing too heavy since I'm doing the push/pull in 8 days. Everything felt good today even with the temp dropping almost 40 degrees from yesterday! Had to wear gloves... Sucks.

DEATHLIFT:
225 - 10x1

WIDE GRIP PULL DOWNS:
5x10

FIXED DD HANDLE PULL DOWNS:
3x15

DONE

Bruiser
10-29-2012, 08:20 AM
Since I'm treating this Saturday like a push/pull meet, I decided to hit up some light DE Bench work today. I think it took longer to warm up than it did to train! Lol. Cold as fuck this morning.

BENCH:
Bar - 10x20
40% - 9x3

DONE

Bruiser
10-31-2012, 10:13 AM
It was a balmy 40 degrees in the gym today! I finally tracked down a free kerosene heater but now I gotta find somewhere that sells kerosene and hope the 20 year old heater works!

Took yesterday off because I never planned on squatting this week. Need to keep my lower all fresh for Saturday. So I hit up a quick upper session with just bar weight. Slathered on the Blue Heat, warmed up and was done. Just trying to keep the joints and muscles from locking up and cramping on me. The first cold spell always kills me. But this year I'm really starting to feel the arthritis that the docs warned me about.

GIANT SET:
1. OHP x 15
2. BB CURL x 15
3. VBAR PUSHDOWNS x 15
Repeat 1-3 five times with no rest except for between sets.

DONE

J L S
10-31-2012, 03:01 PM
looking set bruiser, good luck at the meet dude! keep us posted!

Bruiser
11-01-2012, 09:13 AM
I will no longer be heading to Jakked on Saturday to push/pull. The $ I was supposed to get today is being held until next month! So I can't afford the trip down now. Considering I was treating this like a meet and even changed my training to do meet prep... well, I guess I get to deadlift tomorrow in the garage.

Bruiser
11-02-2012, 09:48 AM
It was cold as fuck this morning and I could even see my breath in the gym/garage. But since I can't make it to Jakked tomorrow I decided to push/pull today. And holy hell did it go good!

DEATHLIFT:
135 x 5
225 x 3
315 x 1
365 x 1
385 x 1
405 x 1* (20 lb PR!)

BENCH:
Bar - 3x20
115 x 5
185 x 3
255 x 1
275 x 1
295 x 1* (10 lb PR!)

DONE

That's 90 lbs I've put on my DL and 30 lbs on my bench in less than 3 months! Plus I realized that it's been less than a year since the first time I benched 200!

Bruiser
11-05-2012, 06:11 AM
Now that I hit my DL goal and came within 5 lbs of my bench goal, it's time to clean up the diet. Doing some CBL for the next 3 weeks until Turkey Day. I'm sitting at a pretty damn clean 225 right now, but I'm curious to see what I can get down to without losing strength. Abs are actually visible already and my waist is only 35" but my goal is to keep my strength and get down to under 210-215. That way come time for a meet I can push as much food right up to weigh in and keep in the 220 class. Pus I've got an easy 10 lbs I can drop by just cleaning up my diet and adding in a thermo. After force feeding the last month to hit my strength goals I'm looking forward to cutting back on calories and food intake. Hell, just by switching from whole milk to 2% I'll drop 2-3 lbs this week.

J L S
11-05-2012, 03:15 PM
awesome. Really pleased for you on that deadlift bruiser! sick PR!

Bruiser
11-06-2012, 09:17 AM
awesome. Really pleased for you on that deadlift bruiser! sick PR!

Thanks man. I'm just floored at how far my DL has come in the past 2 months. New goal = 495 lbs (5 pps) by April...

Bruiser
11-06-2012, 09:17 AM
Went out to the gym with every intention of crushing some squats but HOLY FUCK... my glutes, back and legs are still fried from pulling 405 Friday! Lol. So I just did a few sets and called it a day.

SQUAT:
Bar - 3x10
115 - 3x5

DONE

Bruiser
11-07-2012, 09:11 AM
Elbows are still beat up from maxing out on bench last Friday so I did a quick but effective arm day today.

GIANT SET:
1. V-Bar Pushdowns x 10-15
2. Barbell Curls x 10
3. CoC x Failure
1-3 repeated ten times with NO REST AT ALL!

DONE

Bruiser
11-08-2012, 09:45 AM
OHP:
Bar - 3x15
115 x 5
135 x 4
155 x 3
165 x 2
175 x 1
115 - 5x5

Face pulls:
5x10

Lateral Raises:
5x8-12

Front Raises:
5x8

DONE

Bruiser
11-09-2012, 11:42 AM
Hit up deads today, first time since pulling 405. Holy fuck that sucked. My body is definitely still recovering from e push/pull max on Friday and not handling the low carb very well. The shit just felt heavy as hell today. So I did some higher rep work (high rep for me) and finished with some pulldowns.

DEATHLIFT:
135 - 3x5
225 - 3x5
315 - 3x1

WIDE GRIP PULLDOWNS:
3x10

FIXED DD HANDLE PULLDOWNS:
3x10

DONE

I hate doing any multiple rep work with DL. I pull so hard that after each rep I have to almost completely reset. But I figure since I'm not planning on maxing out for a while its time to work on really building the lift. If I'm fully recovered next week I'm gonna start doing Coan's 10 week DL routine. Can't wait!

Bruiser
11-13-2012, 10:15 AM
Cold as fuck this morning. There was even frost on the plates. So I slathered my knees with Blue Heat and hopped on the heating pad for an hour to warm up my back. Felt real good. Was planning on just hitting my usual light 5x5 but after I warmed up it felt light. So I just went for it today. I've been doing all the things Coach told me to work on and I was able to stay a lot tighter. The last one felt a little squirrelly at the bottom but I still managed to bury it and hit a 20 lb PR! The only time I've ever even hit 225 I was above parallel and this time I went ATG on every rep! Could probably hit 300+ in an SPF meet... Lol.

SQUATS:
Bar - 3x10
95 - 3x5
135x1
155x1
185x1
205x1
225x1
235x1* (10 lb PR)
245x1* (20 lb PR)

DONE

Bruiser
11-14-2012, 09:37 AM
Did some pretty boy shit today. Had to stop after 8 giant sets because the pump was so severe.

PreWO:
PreWO powder
10g glutamine
Pancake syrup

GIANT PRETTY BOY SET:
1. V-Bar Pushdowns x 8-15 reps
2. Barbell Curls x 8-15 reps
3. Standing Rope Crunches x Failure
4. CoC x Failure
1-4 repeated 8 times with only 30 seconds rest between giant sets.

DONE

PWO:
16 oz milk
50g whey

Bruiser
11-15-2012, 09:18 AM
Hit shoulders quick today. Fast and effective. Only took about 20 minutes but still destroyed them. Didn't wanna hit them too hard since I'm benching on Saturday with Bryan.

OHP:
Bar - 3x20
115 - 3x10

FACE PULLS:
3x10

LATERAL RAISE:
3x10

DONE

Bruiser
11-16-2012, 08:12 AM
Went into today planning on starting the Coan 10 week DL program. Figured out my plan off my current DL max of 405 and a planned goal of 450. Holy fuck! 340 felt like 1,000 lbs today. I'm sure it's from being off the Superdrol now. I'm gonna have to redo my numbers and start over lighter next week (I'll go with 385 and 425 and see how the new figures feel). I couldn't even finish my assistance work because my back was fried and it's the lightest week I'll do. Fuck.

DEATHLIFT:
340 - 1x2
270 - 8x3

GOOD MORNINGS:
2x8

REVERSE GRIP PULLDOWNS:
2x8

DONE

J L S
11-17-2012, 09:32 AM
haha the coan deadlift routine is no joke bruiser! It should rocket your numbers though! I think it would be a good call re calculating though by the sounds of things! better to make every single rep and build some confidence! good job on those squats too

Bruiser
11-20-2012, 09:40 AM
Hit squats this morning and it felt REAL good. I was gonna just work up to heavy singles at about 90% but then decided since my split is kinda screwed up this week with benching last Saturday and then the upcoming holiday, I might as well just have fun. I know, I know... Never max out 2 weeks in a row, but it felt good today and I went for it. Another PR!

SQUAT:
Bar - 3x10
95 - 3x5
135x1
165x1
195x1
225x1
250x1* (5lb PR)

DONE

That puts my total at 950. I might just see 1,000 lbs by January 1st after all.

Bruiser
11-20-2012, 09:41 AM
haha the coan deadlift routine is no joke bruiser! It should rocket your numbers though! I think it would be a good call re calculating though by the sounds of things! better to make every single rep and build some confidence! good job on those squats too

Yeah, that "easy" week beat the hell outta me! Lol.

Bruiser
11-20-2012, 09:53 AM
Hit squats this morning and it felt REAL good. I was gonna just work up to heavy singles at about 90% but then decided since my split is kinda screwed up this week with benching last Saturday and then the upcoming holiday, I might as well just have fun. I know, I know... Never max out 2 weeks in a row, but it felt good today and I went for it. Another PR!

SQUAT:
Bar - 3x10
95 - 3x5
135x1
165x1
195x1
225x1
250x1* (5lb PR)

DONE

That puts my total at 950. I might just see 1,000 lbs by January 1st after all.

The funny thing was that on the 250 it got REAL heavy half way up and felt like it was turning into a GM. I was gonna bail but realized that if I tried to sit back down and drop the bar back to the pins I had a better chance of getting hurt than if I finished the lift... so I just stood up with it! Lol.

Bruiser
11-21-2012, 10:16 AM
Was gonna hit arms today but part way into the warmup my left elbow started killing me again. I think I tweaked it between doing the Coan DL program Friday and heavy benching with Coach Saturday. I get a sharp pain when I put pressure on my left arm or lift ANYTHING. Then my fingers tingle. Guess no OHP tomorrow. I'll have to wait and see how DL feels Friday.

J L S
11-21-2012, 03:41 PM
damn man! hope its nothing serious buddy!

Bruiser
11-22-2012, 07:07 AM
damn man! hope its nothing serious buddy!

I'm betting the betting the cause of it was DL last Friday. I probably bent my arm when trying to hit those heavy reps. Gonna do some light OHP (just the bar then 95 lbs) for a few sets. Plus a couple giant sets just to get some blood into the delts. Besides, gotta have a good pump when I go for turkey dinner! Lol

Bruiser
11-23-2012, 10:51 AM
I adjusted the figures for the DL program today. I realized that even though I'm putting up good numbers right now, I'm still a novice. This program was designed for experienced lifters (3+ years experience) and I've only been powerlifting for a year. With my lower back issues from the botched surgery years ago there's no way I can do the program exactly. No GMs and SLDLs the same day I pull. So I switched it up and blew up my upper back for assistance work. Everything felt real good today. Of course that could be from the 10-15,000 cals yesterday... Lol.

PreWO:
Pancake syrup
12 mini pigs in a blanket
Pretzels
Glutamine
PreWO powder

DEATHLIFT:
315 - 1x2
245 - 8x3

WIDE GRIP PDs:
4x8

UNDERHAND PDs/ROWS:
4x8

FIXED DD HANDLE PDs:
4x8

DONE

PWO:
Milk
Whey/soy blend

PostPWO:
Same as PreWO except for the powder

Bruiser
11-26-2012, 11:18 AM
Decided to start hitting bench twice a week again, since it seems to be the one thing stalled out right now (yes, I'm bitching about only putting 95 lbs on my bench in a year). Hit heavy singles and doubles and then did chain work. Followed by a shit ton of assistance work.

BENCH:
Bar - 3x20
115 x 15
185 x 10
235 x 2
255 - 3x2
+30 lbs of chain - 3x1
115 x 15

ASSISTANCE WORK:
V-Bar Pushdowns - 3x15
OHDB Ext - 3x10
Face pulls - 3x10
DB Laterals - 3x15

DONE

Bruiser
11-26-2012, 11:23 AM
I've also decided to start eating a little less clean. I'm just straight up not getting the calories in I need. My appetite sucks. Ever since (barely) living through the pancreatitis is year I've been afraid to really eat. But since I'm bouncing around 220-225 right now, I figure I might as well just plan on lifting in the 242 class. No need to be eating clean all the time. Time to get back to my roots and start eating some fun food...

I started yesterday with brunch at my mom's.

3 plates of sausage gravy, biscuits and hash brown casserole (w/ bacon and cheese)
6 donuts
12 donut holes
2 blueberry turnovers

J L S
11-26-2012, 02:25 PM
your lifts will thank you bruiser! I love bulking more than anything ever.

Nothing wrong with smashing your upper back to bits, its a place on your body than can never be too big or strong!

Bruiser
11-26-2012, 03:32 PM
your lifts will thank you bruiser! I love bulking more than anything ever.

Nothing wrong with smashing your upper back to bits, its a place on your body than can never be too big or strong!

I'm looking forward to real food! Lol. Crushed some McDs today, a box of Swiss cake rolls and a bag of pretzels! Frozen pizza for supper!

Plus if I lift at 220, I'll frequently be competing against my strength and conditioning coach... so I'll always be competing for second place. And what fun is that?

J L S
11-26-2012, 03:50 PM
I'm looking forward to real food! Lol. Crushed some McDs today, a box of Swiss cake rolls and a bag of pretzels! Frozen pizza for supper!

Plus if I lift at 220, I'll frequently be competing against my strength and conditioning coach... so I'll always be competing for second place. And what fun is that?

Food is amazing! Enjoy it haha especially with the festive period fast approaching!

My excuse is either 1 of two. 'Im still building my foundation' or my personal favourite 'weight moves weight!'

Bruiser
11-27-2012, 04:14 PM
Hit up squats today, then got stuck having to go shopping with the wife... Brutal. My legs were fucking fried! Had a good time though and it was nice getting out somewhere together. Cold as fuck in the gym, 25 degrees. Uggh. But my dad dropped off a radiant heat heater today. I checked it it and it should work good. Might even have the gym up to 50 degrees Thursday. I'll just need to run it for an hour before I train.

SQUATS:
Bar - 3x15
115 - 3x10
185 - 3x5
225 - 3x1
115 x 15

DONE

PWO:
50g whey/soy blend
16 oz milk
6 Zingers (yeah, I found a local stash)
16 oz choc milk
4 pop tarts

Bruiser
11-27-2012, 04:15 PM
Food is amazing! Enjoy it haha especially with the festive period fast approaching!

My excuse is either 1 of two. 'Im still building my foundation' or my personal favourite 'weight moves weight!'

I'm feeling physically better and stronger already, after just a few days of eating big. Loving it.

Bruiser
11-29-2012, 10:06 AM
Hit up DE work for the first time in close to 8 months! It was the heaviest DE bench work I've ever done. And it FELT heavy today. The speed wasn't there so I really worked on lowering the bar as controlled as possible and exploding up while holding my breath for all 3 reps. I think doing that is gonna help my bench more than the speed will. Whenever I get up over 265 I have trouble holding my breath and just deflate like a fucking balloon. Also was able to start getting more arch than ever before. It was king of weird, just outta nowhere.

PreWO:
Grapefruit juice
BCAAs
Glutamine
Pancake syrup
PreWO powder

DE BENCH:
175 - 8x3
Added 30 lbs chain - 2x5
45 lbs chain - 2x5

ASSISTANCE WORK:
CGBP - 3x5
OHP - 3x5

DONE

PWO:
16 oz choc milk
50g whey/soy blend
Pancake syrup
4 pop tarts
Amino Tabs

Bruiser
11-30-2012, 09:39 AM
Even after 30 min on the heating pad my back was still tight today. I did all I could to try to hit my numbers for this program but what's more important is listening to my body. And after 5 sets of DE work, my back said "ouch". Didn't hit all 8 sets but as long as I can keep increasing the weight every week and getting most of the DL sets in, I'll see a nice jump in my 1RM at the end of the 10 weeks.

DEATHLIFT:
335 - 1x2
265 - 5x3

PULLDOWNS:
Wide grip - 4x8
Reverse grip - 4x8
Fixed DD handle - 4x10

CURLS:
Barbell - 4x8
Preacher - 4x8

DONE

J L S
12-07-2012, 04:10 AM
you got it bruiser, there is more than one way to skin a cat! nothing wrong with more volume/reps or changing intensity's!

Bruiser
12-07-2012, 06:22 AM
you got it bruiser, there is more than one way to skin a cat! nothing wrong with more volume/reps or changing intensity's!

Thanks man. I've actually taken this past week off. Tweaked a disk in my lower back last Friday. Fuuuuck. Actually been working with a nutritionist too! Holy shit, one week and I already see a huge difference. Trying to get all my calories in while eating clean is a bitch though! This is what my current plan looks like:
Dozen eggs
Gallon of milk
2-3 lb of meat
3-4 cups brown rice
1 cup oats
Whey/soy protein
Fiber
Veggies

But tonight is my cheat meal... One hour all I can eat of anything I want. Gonna be epic!

Bruiser
12-11-2012, 09:30 AM
Crushed the shit outta my titties yesterday.

ME BENCH:
Bar - 3x20
115 - 3x15
185 - 3x10
225 - 3x3
245 - 3x3
255 - 3x3
275 - 3x1
185 - 3x10

ASSISTANCE WORK:
DB laterals - 3x15
DB front raises - 3x10
V-Bar Pushdowns - 3x15
DBOH Ext - 3x8
Incline BP - 3x10

DONE

Bruiser
12-11-2012, 09:33 AM
My back felt good enough to try squatting today, and I'm glad I did! 15 lb PR! That puts my total at 965 lbs! It felt like I had another 10 lbs in me but I don't wanna risk tweaking my back since I gotta start training for the Pull For Pups.

SQUAT:
Bar - 3x10
115 - 3x5
185 x 3
235 x 1
255 x 1* (5 lb PR)
265 x 1** (15 lb PR)

DONE

Bruiser
12-14-2012, 10:47 AM
Went out and started training specifically for the Pull For Pups today... it did NOT go well. At all. I don't know if I'm still weak from hitting a squat PR on Tuesday or what!? I warmed up good pulling from the floor and then set up for the pull. It's just below the knee and I can use straps. I worked up to 365 and then... Nothing. I couldn't budge 405 today (which is my DL 1RM). So I dropped it back down to 365 and failed. Wtf?! I'm so not fucking happy right now. I should be able to pull at least 100-150# more (500-550+) from the knee with straps than I can from the floor. I'm hoping I'm just wiped out from Tuesday, otherwise I'm gonna embarrass the shit outta myself and Kermit when we do the Pull For Pups in 3 weeks. Fuck. Either way I'm doing it and its for a good cause, but I was hoping to put on a good show at least...

J L S
12-14-2012, 01:47 PM
dont be so dis heartened brusier, just because you are pulling from a advaned range of motion it doesnt always mean you should be stronger. If you are refering to rack pulls or block pulls, id much rather pull from the floor any day. I absolutely loathe pulling from or through my sticking points. Same with board presses, you'd think you would be stronger but im almost certain I can press more from a one board than a 2. The body is very strange like that.

Other than that chalk it up as a very bad day and move on! They happen! We are only human afterall.

Bruiser
12-14-2012, 02:27 PM
dont be so dis heartened brusier, just because you are pulling from a advaned range of motion it doesnt always mean you should be stronger. If you are refering to rack pulls or block pulls, id much rather pull from the floor any day. I absolutely loathe pulling from or through my sticking points. Same with board presses, you'd think you would be stronger but im almost certain I can press more from a one board than a 2. The body is very strange like that.

Other than that chalk it up as a very bad day and move on! They happen! We are only human afterall.

Yeah, I was just hoping for an improvement. The event I'm doing in three weeks is a 2 man DL. We're pulling from the floor but because of the setup (tires instead of plates) the starting position is just below the knee. My max is 405 standard and I was hoping to come close to 600 with pulling from the knee. Even if I don't improve I'm still looking forward to the event. Even if we can't budge the bar, it'll be a great time.

Bruiser
12-16-2012, 06:48 AM
I couldn't sleep for shit last night. All I could think about was how bad I wanted to go out to the gym and squat! Lol. I decided that even though I've got the Pull For Pups coming up in about 3 weeks, I need to focus my training on squats. Right now I'm getting stronger every week on them. It reminds me of when my DL was jumping a few months ago. Since I've got one lift that is on a severe upswing, I'm gonna focus on going HEAVY every week on that, even going for a new max every week if it's there and training high volume on the other lifts. This premise is how I added 90 lbs to my DL in less than 2 months. I WILL squat 300+ by January 1. That will be give a 1,000 lb total with no belt and no wraps.

After all I've been through this year, after spending 5 weeks in 3 hopsitals almost dying from pancreatitis, living with ulcerative colitis, losing 50 lbs, not training for over 3 months and watching relatives and friends die by the handful... I can see my all my goals falling in place in front of me.

January 1, 2013: 1,000# total
April 24, 2013: 1,200# total
April 24, 2016: 1,607# total at 242 or 1,551# total at 220 (elite raw classification)

Bruiser
12-17-2012, 03:42 PM
Holy shit. Absolutely destroyed my titties today. Haven't done that much volume in a while. Decided to go back to doing my tricep work a different day so I can just bench until I collapse. My lats are fried so I'm pretty stoked about how tight I was able to stay throughout the session today. Sore lats means good form. I finished up with some rack presses (top third ROM to work on lockout). Hit past my bench max even after all the volume, felt good seeing I haven't come within 20 lbs of benching my max without failing since I hit 295.

BENCH:
Bar - 3x25
115 - 3x20
185 - 3x10
235 - 3x3-5
255 - 3x1

INCLINE BENCH:
115 - 3x10
185 - 3x5

RACK PRESS:
255 - 3x1
275 - 1x1
295 - 1x1
305 - 1x1

DONE

PWO:
Shake - 20 oz whole milk, 50g whey, creatine mix
Liter of Mt Dew
Pint of choc milk
Big n Toasty
2 donuts

Bruiser
12-18-2012, 12:04 PM
Had a great squat day today. Went out and planned to hit another 10 lb PR but did even better. Out another 20 on it! That puts my total at 985 lbs. I WILL have my 1,000# by the 1st. Went to hit some volume after the PR but I could barely get 185 back out of the hole! Lol. I was fucking spent...

SQUAT:
Bar - 3x10
115 x 10
185 x 3
235 x 1
255 x 1
275 x 1* (10 lb PR)
285 x 1** (20 lb PR)
185 x 3 barely

DONE

PWO:
Shake - 20 oz whole milk, 50g whey, creatine mix
Pint of chocolate whole milk
Liter of Mt Dew
4 sausage and cheese McMuffins

J L S
12-18-2012, 01:44 PM
awesome progress with that squat bruiser.

Bruiser
12-19-2012, 09:30 AM
Thanks J. That's 60# in a month! And 180# on my total since September! No way I'm not getting my 1,000 this month! Or my 1,200 by April!

Bruiser
12-19-2012, 09:30 AM
Yeah, decided to do some pretty boy shit today. Totally fried my arms! I forgot that I can't take glutamine with creatine and pancake syrup before high rep arm work... the pump was so sick my skin hurt! Lol. Not bad for only doing two different movements.

V-Bar Pushdowns:
10 sets of 20 reps

Barbell Curls:
10 sets of 15 reps

DONE

J L S
12-19-2012, 04:26 PM
haha thats a sick bro day! Keep the food stories coming! I love them, I think me and you would do some serious serious damage if we turned up at an all you can eat somewhere! I bet we'd give some 308's a run for their money!

You give any more thought to the cube, now the ebooks out!?

Bruiser
12-20-2012, 10:40 AM
haha thats a sick bro day! Keep the food stories coming! I love them, I think me and you would do some serious serious damage if we turned up at an all you can eat somewhere! I bet we'd give some 308's a run for their money!

You give any more thought to the cube, now the ebooks out!?

Definitely! Planning on bringing the family over there across the pond in a year or two to visit some friends in France. If I do, we'll have to get together and put some restaurants out of business!

Been thinking about starting Cube after the Pull For Pups in January. I'll be doing my first push/pull in May so it'd be nice to get my numbers up.

Bruiser
12-20-2012, 10:40 AM
After shoveling a foot of snow/slush, I went and hit shoulders. Once again, quick session and destroyed them!

OHP:
3x10

Face pulls:
5x10
Superset with
DB lateral raises:
5x10

DONE

I had to wait 15 minutes before I could have my shake because I couldn't lift my fucking arms high enough to grab my tub of whey! Lol

Bruiser
12-21-2012, 10:35 AM
What a day! My wife went to leave for work at 5am and got stuck in a drift in the middle of the road about 100 ft from our driveway. We called AAA and they said a tow truck would be there about 6am... and we're still waiting! She had to take my car to work and now I'm waiting to hear from the tow company on when they'll be here because AAA said that the car isn't a "priority". Even though its stuck in the middle of the road, blocking both lanes of traffic for SIX HOURS NOW! Wtf?! And this was after I got up at 2am to dig out the driveway.

Then before she took my car she was looking out the window and saw someone fall in the neighbor's driveway and someone run and grab their phone. So I ran over there and he had cracked his head on the pavement and was bleeding bad, nauseous and barely conscious. So I got a blanket on him and kept him talking while we waited for the ambulance. I kept having to roll him so he wouldn't choke on his vomit. We helped get him loaded but because how steep the driveway was we had to slide him on the backboard down the driveway to load him!

Now I'm just waiting for a damn tow truck. At this point I have just one thing to say... Bring it on Mayans. You got nothing.

Btw, I still went out and hit deadlifts today. Tell me again, why couldn't you train today?

Bruiser
12-24-2012, 09:02 AM
Been feeling off the past few days. I can tell I'm starting to come down with something because the glands in my neck are all swollen and sore as fuck. But I went out this morning (30 degrees in the Meat Locker... Aka gym) and attempted to get a good bench session in. I warmed up real good, Blue Heat from my shoulders to wrists, heating pad, etc. hit a bunch of warmup sets and when I went to do my normal triple of 235 I failed on the second fucking rep! 60# under my max... Wtf?! I said fuck it and came back inside. I'm not risking injury when I've got my squat session planned for Wednesday when I WILL hit 300# (yes # actually means pounds you twitter twats). Gonna just rest up and spend the day cuddling with my boys on the couch and relaxing.

Bruiser
12-26-2012, 10:15 AM
I went out this morning to the Meat Locker (gym/garage) and decided I was going to squat 300 or die trying. It was about 30-35 degrees in there. But I spent an hour on the heating pad before I went to loosen my back up. But here was the reason my gameplay worked:

Yesterday's fuel fill up:
1 maple walnut Kringle
Box of mini donuts
Gallon of whole milk
Dozen eggs
1/2 cheesecake
1/4 apple pie
Dozen PB balls
Three 1/2 lb Italian beef sandwiches (w/ butter and cheese)
One 1/2 lb smoked turkey sandwich (w/ butter and cheese)
One lb mashed potatoes
4 bowls of oyster stew
2 cans smoked oysters
Shit ton cheese, sausage and crackers

On to today:

PreWO:
Creatine
Rage
1/2 pecan pie

SQUAT:
Bar - 3x10
115 - 3x5
185 x 1
235 x 1
255 x 1
275 x 1
300 x 1* (15 lb PR)

ATG with NO wraps or belt...

DONE

I finally did it! That squat gave me my 1,000# total! Of course, now my knees are swollen, the right one is actually turning purple and my back is fried. Time to hit the heating pad and chill.

J L S
12-26-2012, 11:54 AM
congratulations bruiser! finally there! onto 2000 now

Bruiser
12-28-2012, 10:20 AM
congratulations bruiser! finally there! onto 2000 now

Thanks J! Next up... 1,200 by my birthday (April 24)

Bruiser
12-28-2012, 10:21 AM
Decided to hit some DL work today to get ready for next Saturday when I attempt to budge the 1,200# at the Pull For Pups. Was really hard to get loosened up and warmed up today. Still pretty fucking sore from squatting Wednesday.

PreWO:
1/3 pecan pie with whipped cream (now I'm out until next XMas... Booo)
Rage
Mt Dew

DEATHLIFT:
135 - 5x10
225 - 5x5
295 - 3x1
245 - 1x1
265 - 1x1

DONE

back on the heating pad...

J L S
12-31-2012, 03:14 AM
rest up bruiser! wishing you all the best for '13

Bruiser
12-31-2012, 07:31 AM
rest up bruiser! wishing you all the best for '13

Thanks man! Feeling like a barrel of smashed assholes right now. The head cold I thought I had is feeling more like bronchitis or pneumonia. Ughhh. And I've got the Pull For Pups in 6 days. So my plan... rep the shit outta me. High volume Mon-Wed then take Thu and Fri off.

Bruiser
12-31-2012, 01:01 PM
Fuuuuck! Looks like 2013 is gonna start the same way 2012 did, with me getting sick. Been fighting a head and chest cold for about a week and this morning I started hacking up some shit that always leads to me finding out I have a sinus infection and either bronchitis or pneumonia. Yay. At least I'll be getting my health insurance back tomorrow. So I can go get on some antibiotics and try to get better for the event Saturday. But I don't care if I'm half dead, I'm still doing the Pull For Pups Saturday.

Loaded up on cold medicine and Rage and then hit a metric fuck ton of volume on the bench. Kept it all under 70% and just repped the shit out of it. Was going to do more but the 5th set of incline I felt a sharp pain in my front left Delt head. So I called it a day.

PreWO:
Day quil
Tylenold Cold and Flu
Rage
Creatine
Glutamine
Pancake syrup
Mt Dew
(And yes, this was all dumped into one cup and chugged)

BENCH:
Bar - 3x25
115 - 5x20
165 - 5x10
215 - 5x5
115 - 1x25

IBP:
Bar - 3x20
95 - 5x15

DONE

PWO:
Whole milk
Whey
Creatine mix
Pancake syrup
Pop Tarts

Bruiser
01-01-2013, 11:06 AM
Hit up more volume than usual today. This was the first week in a month that I didn't go for a new squat PR! Lol. It's nice thought that I'm hitting my numbers consistently. Ever since I got 255 I've hit it every week. It's letting me know that even though my numbers are climbing real fast the strength is permanent. With two heaters running it was still 25 degrees in the Meat Locker today. Made it hard to breathe with this chest cold or whatever it is I've got.

I really worked on my foot placement today. My toes naturally point out because of how bad my ankles are and how flat footed I am. I focused on keeping my toes pointed forward and pushing my feet down and out coming out of the hole. My hips felt a lot more stable and kept the strain off my back by doing this. Felt good. Except my upper quads are even more fried than usual! That's as much the volume as the foot placement though. On a side note, I got new boxer briefs for XMas... why in the hell did Hanes start putting tight elastic at the bottom of the legs? Wtf? My thighs look like somebody tied a rope around a sack of meat! Lol.

PreWO shake:
BCAAs
Glutamine
Pancake syrup
DayQuil
Tylenol cold and flu
Rage
Creatine
Mt Dew

SQUAT:
Bar - 3x15
115 - 3x10
185 - 3x5
255 - 3x1

DONE

PWO:
Whole milk
Whey
Creatine
Pop Tarts
Beef jerky

Bruiser
01-07-2013, 11:21 AM
Starting a new bench program this week. I've been planning it for a while but had to wait until after the Pull For Pups to start it. I'll be benching 3x week.
Mon: Bands - 10 sets, IBP - 5 sets
Wed: chains - 10 sets, CGBP - 5 sets
Fri: straight weight - 10 sets, floor press - 5 sets
I'll throw in assistance work if I can move. I'll still squat on Tue and DL Thur. I'll do this for a month and switch to a DL program. I'll alternate month to month until my push/pull in May.

Week 1, Day 1 BANDS:

BENCH:
Bar - 3x20
Red short mini and black short monster mini (w/ bar weight and tension = 205-210)
10x5-10

IBP:
5x10-20

DB LATERALS:
5x15

DONE

Bruiser
01-08-2013, 10:48 AM
Ouch. Apparently I'm a little more beat up from Saturday than I thought. I didn't realize it until I got up to 275. My upper back and abs felt like I got stabbed. Now I've got a little spot by my right shoulder blade that feels like its getting an electrical shock and has tiny spasms. Hmm. Still, considering 4 weeks ago my max was 250, I'll take it. On the 275 I noticed my sticking spot is about 2/3 the way up. So I think I might start throwing in some high box work at th end of my squat sessions to see if that helps. Today I went ATG with a full stop at the bottom.

SQUATS:
Bar - 3x15
115 - 3x10
185 - 3x5
235 - 1x1
275 - 1x1

DONE

PWO:
6 Reese's Big Cups dipped in pancake syrup
Two 1/4 lb corndogs dipped in melted butter
Chocolate milk
Shake- whole milk, whey, creatine

J L S
01-08-2013, 12:32 PM
looking good bruiser, thats a strange sticking point for a raw dawwwg!

Bruiser
01-08-2013, 12:59 PM
looking good bruiser, thats a strange sticking point for a raw dawwwg!

I think it's because I'm relatively new to squatting. Up until about two months ago I had only squatted less than a dozen times... EVER. It just didn't mesh with my back injury and quite frankly, I was scared to squat and re-injur it. So now about 2/3 way up it almost turns into a GM! Lol. I figure I'll try adding in the high box and keep smashing my core to build up stability too.

J L S
01-08-2013, 01:25 PM
thats what I was thinking, must be some excessive leaning for it to be a sticky point there! get a vid up some time! there are plenty of us who would be more than happy to take a look! box squats arent a bad idea at all, just for re-inforcing those good habits! repetition builds habit!

Bruiser
01-08-2013, 02:11 PM
thats what I was thinking, must be some excessive leaning for it to be a sticky point there! get a vid up some time! there are plenty of us who would be more than happy to take a look! box squats arent a bad idea at all, just for re-inforcing those good habits! repetition builds habit!

I just might do that if I can figure out how to set it up in the garage/gym without fear of it tipping and breaking! The iPad, not me. Lol.

Bruiser
01-09-2013, 12:20 PM
Went out and hit my second day of this new program. I'm feeling pretty good so far. Elbows are a little beat up, but we'll see how I feel by Friday night! Lol. Something tells me next month when I start the DL program it's gonna fucking kill me!

PreWO:
Ham and cheese bagel
Box of breakfast sausage
Bowl of PB Cheerios with choc chips, marshmallows and choc whole milk
Rage
Creatine
Glutamine

BENCH (70%):
Bar - 3x20
115 - 1x15
165 - 1x10
Added 45# of chain - 10x5-10

CGBP:
5x15-20

OH DB PRESS:
5x10

DB LATERALS:
5x10

DONE

PWO:
PB Cups dipped in syrup
Corndogs dipped in butter
Whole milk w/ whey and creatine
Choc milk

Bruiser
01-09-2013, 12:21 PM
I forgot to mention that on this new program the weight, chain, band tension, etc is as follows:

Month 1:
Week 1 = 70%
Week 2 = 70%+10 lbs
Week 3 = 70%+20 lbs
Week 4 = 70%+30 lbs

This goes for bench and DL. Then with the second cycle I start where I left off:

Month 2:
Week 1 = 70%+30 lbs
Week 2 = 70%+40 lbs
Week 3 = 70%+50 lbs
Week 4 = 70%+60 lbs

So for example at the end of the 2nd cycle I'll be benching over 90% for 10x5-10. So if this doesn't jack my bench max up, nothing will!

Bruiser
01-11-2013, 05:12 AM
Forgot to post yesterday's DL session. Felt good, but I was wrong! Still nowhere near recovered from Saturday.pulled some light weight and then even 3pps felt like a metric fuckton! Called it a day.

DEATHLIFT:
135 - 5x10
225 - 5x5
315 - 1x1

DONE

Bruiser
01-11-2013, 05:13 AM
I also got some MAJOR news last night! Something I never thought would have been possible for me! BUT... I can't tell you yet. Gotta make sure it's okay to make the announcement...

Bruiser
01-11-2013, 11:06 AM
Holy friggin Wookie Balls. I am beat to fuck. Realized just how much more volume I'm doing on bench with this program. I was doing probably 8-10 working sets total before when I was benching once a week. Now I'm doing 15 working sets 3x week! 10 sets of 5-10 with my main movement (bands, chains, straight weight) and 5 sets of 10-20 with my assistance movement (IBP, CGBP, floor press). Damn! I might back it down just a bit so I don't fuck up a tendon. Even though I'm beat to fuck, I'm surprised how good I feel though. Not nearly as bad as I was expecting.

BENCH:
10x5-10

DB FLOOR PRESS:
5x20

DB CURL:
5x10

FACE PULLS:
5x10

DONE

J L S
01-11-2013, 11:39 AM
solid week of training regardless bruiser!

Bruiser
01-14-2013, 11:29 AM
Holy shit! Felt great today and can't believe that I'm not getting sore from benching 3x week. But this program is definitely working already! Hit a metric fuckton of volume and then some heavy singles with bands. After the 17 sets (counting warmup) I had 170# on the bar with 90+ of band tension at the top. It endd up being a little over 305# and I locked it out easily! My best bench is 295 and my best in the past month is 265! It felt like I coulda had 310-315 straight weight easily today! Only one week into this program and I'm seeing some sick results. I so wanna go for a max but I'm gonna be smart for once and finish the next 3 weeks of this program first. Cold as fuck this morning and the heater didn't do shit in the gym. About 25 degrees in there ths morning (Take that Higa, with your "cold" Westcoast weather). Lol.

BENCH:
Bar - 3x20
Red mini* - 3x15
+ black mini** - 3x10
Black mini + 70# - 3x5
+ 120# - 3x3
+ 140# - 1x1
+ 160# - 1x1
+ 170# - 1x1 (305 at the top!)

IBP:
5x15

DB LATERALS:
3x12

ROPE PUSHODOWNS:
3x10

BO ROWS:
3x8

DB FRONT RAISES:
3x10

DONE

*red short mini band = 65-70# at the top
** black short monster mini = 95-100# at the top
Total band tension at top = 160-170#

J L S
01-14-2013, 03:24 PM
nice work bruiser, sounds like you are definitely fired up for some results! keep getting after it like this and they will come in no time

Bruiser
01-14-2013, 04:10 PM
nice work bruiser, sounds like you are definitely fired up for some results! keep getting after it like this and they will come in no time

Thanks J. Feeling all around strong on bench right now. Dying to squat tomorrow!

Bruiser
01-15-2013, 08:08 AM
Ughhh. Never fails. I tweaked my back last night pretty bad. I had to get my little guy a bath last night for school today. Every time afterwards he wants me to "pitch him". So he wraps the towel around himself and I grab it by the front and pick him up, swing him and toss him on the bed. For some reason when I picked him up something went horribly wrong, and I felt the stabbing pain in my mid and upper back. Fuuuuck. So no squats today, just ibuprofen and heating pad. Doubtful on DL Thursday either. Oh well. Guess I'll just focus on my bench if I can.

macdaknife
01-15-2013, 09:08 AM
unlucky! hope you heal up soon!

Bruiser
01-15-2013, 09:11 AM
unlucky! hope you heal up soon!

Thanks man. I'm sitting here on the heating pad, hoping I might be able to do some light (30-40%) squats later...

larsen540
01-15-2013, 09:32 AM
Take it easy til the back feels better

Bruiser
01-15-2013, 09:40 AM
Take it easy til the back feels better

Yeah, the more I move around the more it's hurting. Figure I'll just stick with the bench program this week and come back next Tuesday for a squat PR!

macdaknife
01-15-2013, 03:27 PM
Figure I'll just stick with the bench program this week and come back next Tuesday for a squat PR!

yeah... that'd be awesome! :)

Bruiser
01-16-2013, 05:49 AM
yeah... that'd be awesome! :)

Thanks Mac. I'm feeling strong as fuck right now and my squat has been jumping. 75 lbs in 6 weeks actually! I think I've got 325 in me right now!

Bruiser
01-16-2013, 11:11 AM
Crushed the titties today.

BENCH:
Bar - 3x20
115 +45# chain - 3x15
165 +45# chain - 3x8
185 +45# chain - 3x3
205 +45# chain - 1x1
225 +45# chain - 1x1

CGBP:
3x15

FIXED DD HANDLE PDs:
3x10

DB LATERALS:
3x10

DONE

macdaknife
01-16-2013, 06:47 PM
nice benching Bruiser!

when you trying a 1RM on the squat next?

Bruiser
01-17-2013, 04:43 AM
nice benching Bruiser!

when you trying a 1RM on the squat next?

Thanks. Probably gonna let my back rest this week and hit a squat max next Tuesday.

J L S
01-17-2013, 03:07 PM
nice benching bruiser, getting stronger!

Bruiser
01-18-2013, 05:56 AM
nice benching bruiser, getting stronger!

Thanks J! This 3x week shit is brutal but I can feel the strength climbing and my stability is really improving. I've got a shitty bench that's too high off the floor so I have no leg drive and it's narrow so I wobble a bit. But I'm feeling more stable by the day since starting this program. I figure if I can hit PRs on that piece of shit, when i get to a meet on a competition bench that's lower and wider it'll be a cakewalk... mmmmmm cake. After today I got 2 weeks left then I sart deathlifting 3x week... gonna suck! Lol

Bruiser
01-18-2013, 12:36 PM
Back is feeling good and I'm looking forward to a squat PR Tuesday. But for now I had to finish off the 2nd week of benching 3x week. Felt good and I'm floored how fast I'm recovering. My strength is skyrocketing too. I hit some heavy singles today and crushed 275 with a full pause at the bottom. And this is on a narrow, wobbly bench that sits too hgh not allowing for leg drive. Since hitting my 295 I haven't even hit 275 again. I'm sure Coach remembers me failing at 265 at Ford's Gym on a good bench! Lol. So I'd say that on my 3rd day benching this week and putting up 275 easily, my max is def going to increase when this is done!

PreWO:
Choc ice cream
6 egg ham, cheese and mushroom omelet
2 corn bread muffins
Creatine
Rage
Glutamine
Mt dew

BENCH:
Bar - 3x20
115 - 3x15
185 - 3x10
235 - 1x1
255 - 1x1
275 - 1x1

V-BAR PUSHDOWNS:
5x10

DB LATERALS:
5x10

WG PULLDOWNS:
5x20

DONE

PWO:
Shake - creatine, whey, whole milk
Pop Tarts
20 oz pork steak
2 bowls of white chili
2 corn bread muffins
PB sandwich
Mt dew

Bruiser
01-19-2013, 03:11 PM
Decided since I only benched (3x) this week, I wanted to hit some more upper back and some pretty boy curl bro shit today. Plus I wanted to train one last day in this heat (40+ degrees) before this cold snap bullshit hits tonight. Supposed to be 5 degrees not counting wind chill... Monday is gonna be a bitch training...

BACK:
WG Pulldowns - 4x15
Fixed DD Handle Pulldowns - 3x15
RG Pulldowns - 3x10

BICEPS:
DB Curls Brah - 4x10
Preacher Curls Brah - 4x8
Barbell Curls Brah - 5x10

DONE

PWO:
Shake - whole milk, creatine, whey
2 cups white chili
2 tubes of Pillsbury Cinnabon Caramel rolls (16 rolls)

larsen540
01-19-2013, 03:22 PM
I wouldnt mind 16 cinnamon rolls after my workout at all.

J L S
01-19-2013, 04:52 PM
nice bruiser! Bench is going to be up and around the 300+ mark with some rest and a decent bench surely!

Bruiser
01-19-2013, 06:35 PM
I wouldnt mind 16 cinnamon rolls after my workout at all.

Have at it fatty! I won't tell Court! Lol

nice bruiser! Bench is going to be up and around the 300+ mark with some rest and a decent bench surely!

It feels like I've got 305-310 in me right now easily, I think after the next two weeks I should put up a 10-20# PR. Looking at 315 with a pause as a goal.

Bruiser
01-21-2013, 10:56 AM
Cold as fuuuuck today! After having the heater run for three hours it was up to a balmy 12 degrees! Ughhh. Supposed to be like this all week. Pushed through and had a decent session anyways. Wasn't able to hit my IBP today because after setting up the rack for it my joints were all cooled down already and I didn't wanna risk injury. All my sets today were done as giant sets: bench, back, delts, tris. That way it kept me from cooling down. And no more than a minute rest between sets. Had the whole thing done in 35 minutes! I can feel my bench getting stronger and stronger every week. I'm loving this.

PreWO:
Omelet - 6 eggs, 1 cup of ham, 4 slices of cheese, 1/4 cup sour cream
Whole milk
Creatine
Rage

BENCH:
Bar - 3x20
+ short black monster minis - 3x10
+ 70# - 3x8
+120# - 3x4
+140# - 1x1
+160# - 1x1
+180# - 1x1* (PR) never hit this much with weight and band tension before!

FIXED DD HANDLE PULLDOWNS:
5x15

V-BAR PUSHDOWNS:
5x10

DB LATERALS:
5x15

DONE

PWO:
Whole milk
Creatine
Whey
Pepperidge Farm triple fudge cake (whole thing!)

macdaknife
01-21-2013, 12:41 PM
nice bench PR buddy!

Bruiser
01-22-2013, 10:28 AM
nice bench PR buddy!

Thanks. This 3x week benching is really bringing my strength up fast!

Bruiser
01-22-2013, 10:28 AM
Cold as fuck again today. -2 not counting windchill. It's so cold the portable heater in the garage wouldn't even turn on! Lol. So I slathered Blue Heat on my knees and lower back, climbed on the heating pad for 1/2 hour and went out to the meat locker (aka gym). Warmed up or at least tried to but just couldn't get my hips feeling right. Worked up to a solid 275 and then when I got under 295 it wasn't right. Tried anyways and got burried. It doesn't help when you take in a deep breath and it's so cold it hurts your lungs. So I let it slide off and called it a day. Knew it wasn't gonna be a good one when the top of my water bottle froze shut and my MP3 player shut down from the temp! Lol

SQUAT:
Bar - 3x10
115 - 3x5
185 - 1x3
235 - 1x1
255 - 1x1
275 - 1x1
295 - 1x0

DONE

J L S
01-22-2013, 01:28 PM
god damn, that is pretty cold.

Nice work regardless bruiser.

macdaknife
01-23-2013, 03:05 AM
SHIT! I thought it was cold here in the UK but it's not THAT cold!! good effort in getting into the garage at all buddy!

Bruiser
01-23-2013, 11:56 AM
god damn, that is pretty cold.

Nice work regardless bruiser.

SHIT! I thought it was cold here in the UK but it's not THAT cold!! good effort in getting into the garage at all buddy!

Thanks guys. Hate training in this cold, but the upside is my appetite is through the roof and I sleep like a baby!

Bruiser
01-23-2013, 11:56 AM
A balmy and sweaty 13 degrees ABOVE today! Woohoo! Broke out the shorts and hit the garage/gym/Meat Locker. My joints are holding up surprisingly well to this benching 3x week. I can feel myself getting stronger and more stable on the bench. Today was one of those weird days where my form just kinda fell into place. Working up to my last of MANY sets, I just rolled back more onto my shoulders and upper back. Wow! It just clicked. The bar just flew up. Very happy with this new outcome. That's the drawback to having a home gym... nobody to pinpoint your flaws in form regularly to help you adjust.

BENCH:
Bar - 3x20
Added 45# chains - 3x15
115 + chains - 3x10
165 + chains - 3x5
185 + chains - 3x3
205 + chains - 3x2
225 + chains - 3x1

Very thrilled with my benching today. Last week after fewer sets, I only got the 205 + chains (250 at the top) for 1x1, this week I hit 3x2! And still had enough to throw another 20 on it and hit 3x1! Nice...

ASSISTANCE WORK:
V-Bar Pushdowns - 5x10
Wide Grip Pulldowns - 5x15
DB Laterals - 5x10

DONE

macdaknife
01-24-2013, 03:46 AM
another solid bench session Bruiser! I need to get working on the bench!

Bruiser
01-24-2013, 11:02 AM
another solid bench session Bruiser! I need to get working on the bench!

Thanks Mac. I'll let you know where my max is at after this 4 week cycle and see if you wanna try hitting this program. Brutal on the joints but it seems effective.

Bruiser
01-24-2013, 11:02 AM
First time I've gotten to really DL since the Pull For Pups three weeks ago. Cold as friggin hell again but the heaters warmed the bar up enough to have at it. Looking forward to the tropical 40 degrees they're calling for next week! Kept it simple and just pulled from the floor and hit some ab work. Getting ready for the 3x week deathlifting I'll be doing after this first bench cycle is over in 10 days.

Warmup:
Foam roll
30 min on heating pad
Stretching

DEATHLIFT:
135 - 5x10
225 - 5x5
295 - 5x2
345 - 5x1

STANDING ROPE CRUNCH:
10 x to failure

DONE

macdaknife
01-25-2013, 03:33 AM
is that 10 sets of standing rope crunches to failure?? SHIIIIT!! how'd your guts feel after that??

sounds good for the bench programme, though after Smolov I definately know what you mean about the joints... it's been nearly a week and my hips are still tender!

Bruiser
01-25-2013, 05:57 AM
is that 10 sets of standing rope crunches to failure?? SHIIIIT!! how'd your guts feel after that??

sounds good for the bench programme, though after Smolov I definately know what you mean about the joints... it's been nearly a week and my hips are still tender!

Yeah, I only train abs on squat and DL days. That way they're getting blasted!

I start DL 3x week in February. Then bench in March, DL in April leading up to my push/pull in May. I'm not sure if I'll be able to handle three days a week of high volume DL though. After hitting 20 sets yesterday I'm fucking fried! Lol. But after the meet in May I'm gonna run Smolov. Pretty psyched about it.

Bruiser
01-25-2013, 09:34 AM
Back under the bar again, third time this week and I'm feeling it. Probably as much from deads yesterday though as the other bench sessions. Hit up some good volume with straight weight and no bands/chains. My lockout is really improving a ton since starting this program. One more week of it, then light benching one day followed by a max test the week after. Looking forward to it. Not sure how my body will hold up to DL 3x week though. Gonna be rough.

BENCH:
Bar - 3x20
115 - 3x15
185 - 3x10
235 - 3x5
255 - 3x1
Drop set - 30-35 reps
115 - 20 reps

FIXED DD HANDLE PDs:
3x15

DB LATERALS:
3x8

CGBP:
3x20

DONE

macdaknife
01-25-2013, 11:36 AM
Another good effort Bruiser... The deads will take it out of you!

Bruiser
01-25-2013, 11:49 AM
Another good effort Bruiser... The deads will take it out of you!

Thanks. I'm just dying to get through this 4 week bench cycle and test out my max! Looking forward to the deads actually... must be nuts! Lol

Bruiser
01-27-2013, 04:50 AM
Yesterday we had to go to a birthday pool/pizza party for my 6 yr old son's girlfriend (yes, girlfriend). I love being surprised on a Friday with the news that I have to cram my fat ass into a swimsuit the next day... Lol. So I was nice and left the banana hammock at home and grabbed a pair of shorts. It ended up being an interesting day...

Got to the HS pool and Johnny wanted to get right in the pool. He's never been in any pool other than the kiddie pool at Grandma's. They had life jackets the little kids could wear so I though I got outta having to go swimming.... Nope. Johnny is still having a lot of issues dealing with new things and situations. So as soon as he gets down the ladder into the pool he starts to float away from the edge and he FREAKS OUT! He stars flapping his arms and grabbing kids screaming "I'm drowning!". Ughhh that's my boy. So I changed and got in the pool with him. Ended up having a real great time. By the time we got done he was floating and kicking his way across the width of the pool. Very proud of him.

And there's nothing like being around people who have never stepped foot in a gym to make you realize that there's a difference between being fat and being big. There were two dads there who were my height but maybe 170 soaking wet. Both those guys easily had more BF than me and I'm sitting at a fluffy 245 now. Seeing the look on my wife's face as she looked around the pool and then back at made me feel pretty damn good! The funny part of the day was that there were a few very nice looking, in shape moms (Trying to keep this PG) there swimming as well. (Hehehe). And they didn't even make eye contact with me... until my wife had to leave to go pick our oldest son up from work and drop him off at home. As soon as she walked out of the pool area, they kept finding reasons to "accidentally" bump into me, throw a ball over near me or start up a conversation. Hahaha. One of them even had her husband with her! Poor skinny/fat bastard... Lmfao.

But after 2 hours in the pool we finally had lunch and headed home. But I was surprised with the fact that I felt damn good! When I woke up yesterday I was beat to hell. The swimming really helped my joints and muscles. It got me thinking, there's a hotel near my house that charges like $5 to come in and swim or use the hot tub. I'm thinking about once or twice a week (especially when I start the 3x week DL) to go up there and soak in the tub and stretch out my muscles in the pool. Might just be the key to extra recovery.

All in all a great weekend so far.

GazzyG
01-27-2013, 06:35 AM
Sounds like a great weekend, bud!

And you're right - big difference between being fat and being a bear, lol.

I'd rather have an inch of insulation over some good muscle, than be thin, soft and unable to fill out a t-shirt.

Bruiser
01-27-2013, 09:55 AM
Sounds like a great weekend, bud!

And you're right - big difference between being fat and being a bear, lol.

I'd rather have an inch of insulation over some good muscle, than be thin, soft and unable to fill out a t-shirt.

Exactly. I forgot to mention the funniest part! I was swimming with him on my back and I stopped and stood up. The water was about to my chest. Johnny was holding onto my shoulders and stood up. That's when I realized he was standing on my ass! He was using it as a step! Lol. Guess the squats and deads are working...

Bruiser
01-28-2013, 10:33 AM
The final week of this four week program. I've been loving it, but my elbows are fried! Looking forward to either doing one day of DE bench next week or just taking the week off from benching. It was a sweltering 40 degrees out today. Beautiful. Got to train in shorts and a hoodie instead of a winter coat! Lol. I can still feel my strength climbing every bench day. Today when I finished I felt like I coulda kept going if it wasn't for my elbows. And when I took the bands off they weren't nearly as stretched out as the past two weeks because of the temp change. Which meant I was getting even more tension at the top and it felt the same! Damn good sign...

PreWO:
Animal Rage
Blue Heat

BENCH:
Bar - 3x20
Black bands* - 3x15
+70# - 3x10
+140# - 3x3
+160# - 3x1
+180# - 1x1

Back to 140# - 3x3

PULL DOWNS:
5x15

DB LATERALS:
5x10

V-BAR PUSHDOWNS:
5x10

DONE

*black short monster mini bands

PWO:
16oz whole milk, 50g whey, creatine
18oz jar of PB
32oz of chocolate whole milk

macdaknife
01-28-2013, 01:43 PM
Can't wait to see what you're pushing when those elbows are rested up buddy! Good work!

Bruiser
01-28-2013, 01:57 PM
Can't wait to see what you're pushing when those elbows are rested up buddy! Good work!

Thanks man. Me too. With the bands and bar weight, the 180# comes out to about 315 at the top. And that was after a LOT of volume and a long ass month of benching! My current max is 295. So I'm pretty sure I'll crush that.

Bruiser
01-29-2013, 10:50 AM
Finally got some warm weather despite the bad thunderstorms. Trained in shorts and a T-shirt today! Loving it. Planned on maxing out my squat today. Since it was too cold last week and I'm starting the 3x week DL program next Monday. Took plenty of time loosening up and stretching today. Foam rolled for 20 min, slathered Blue Heat on my knees and 40 min on the heating pad for my lower back. Plus stretching. Felt great and ready to hit it. Everything was going as planned. Got under 295 and crushed it. Best that weight has ever felt! Figured I'd crush 305 (would be a 5# PR) then get after 315. But after 295, I decided to poke my head back inside and check on the puppy. He had to go out so it took about 15-20 min to get him back inside. So by the time I got under 305, I had cooled down. Felt easy into the hole and then I felt a pull in my lower abs and had to bail. No way I was getting back up with it on my back. Sucks. Called it a day. No point and beating my legs and back up when I've got a long 4 weeks of deads coming up. But next time I decide to max out squats... I'll crush 315 or die trying.

Warmup:
Blue Heat
Stretching
Foam roll
Heating pad

SQUAT:
Bar - 3x15
115 - 3x10
185 - 3x3
255 - 1x1
275 - 1x1
295 - 1x1
305 - 1x0

DONE

macdaknife
01-29-2013, 11:50 AM
No point and beating my legs and back up when I've got a long 4 weeks of deads coming up. But next time I decide to max out squats... I'll crush 315 or die trying.

smart move Bruiser... I'm positive you will buddy!

GazzyG
01-29-2013, 12:23 PM
315's going down easy, bud. Good call, calling it a day - the slightest tweak and it's always worth shutting down, rather than risking injury, I find.

Bruiser
01-30-2013, 10:25 AM
smart move Bruiser... I'm positive you will buddy!

315's going down easy, bud. Good call, calling it a day - the slightest tweak and it's always worth shutting down, rather than risking injury, I find.

Thanks guys. Gonna just focus on low weight high reps for the next month while DL 3x week. Then when I start my bench cycle again in March I'll go for a new squat max.

Bruiser
01-30-2013, 10:26 AM
Had a great training session today. My elbows are beat to hell, it's a freakin blizzard outside, the gym/garage floor is soaked from the melting snow and I'm just hoping they close school early so my boys can get home safe before the roads get worse. I surprised with all this going on I still had a decent bench session let alone a geat one! Last week on chain day I put up 270 for 3x1. Today I hit 280 for 3x1 with ease! This program is amazing and I can't wait to see where my max ends up!

Warmup:
Blue Heat
Heating pad
Animal Rage
Rotator cuff work

BENCH:
Bar - 3x20
45# chains - 3x15
115 +chains - 3x10
185 +chains - 3x5
235 +chains - 3x1

WG PDs:
5x15

TRICEP PUSHDOWNS:
5x8

DB LATERALS:
5x10

DONE

macdaknife
01-30-2013, 12:04 PM
good stuff Bruiser! what program are you doing?

hope your kids get home alright buddy.

Bruiser
01-30-2013, 12:21 PM
good stuff Bruiser! what program are you doing?

hope your kids get home alright buddy.

One I'm working on myself. It's 4 weeks of benching 3x a week. Here's a basic rundown of it.

Mon: bench with bands - 15+ sets of 1-10 reps. Start with 3x10 working up to 3x1 as heavy as you can go
Tue: squat
Wed: bench with chains - same rep/set scheme as bands
Thu: DL
Fri: bench with straight weight - same as the other two

The following week try to up it by 10#.

Assistance work:
5 sets of shoulder work
5 sets of PULLDOWNS
5 sets of tricep work

I was also throwing in a second bench variation each day for 5x15-20 for the first two weeks but my elbows couldn't take it. When I started this my best bench was 295 but I'd only hit that and 285 once. And only hit 265 since then. Now I'm feeling like I should hit 305-315 in two weeks (taking a week off benching then hitting a new max).

GazzyG
01-30-2013, 02:10 PM
That routine'll certainly build that bench!

As long as you're getting enough fuel down the hole, lol!

macdaknife
01-31-2013, 01:27 AM
sounds awesome mate! would need to buy bands and chains for that as nowhere round here that has that kind of equipment.

Bruiser
01-31-2013, 06:29 AM
That routine'll certainly build that bench!

As long as you're getting enough fuel down the hole, lol!

That's never a problem. Maybe even too much food! Lol

sounds awesome mate! would need to buy bands and chains for that as nowhere round here that has that kind of equipment.

I love working with bands and chains. I haven't used them in 6 months. They beat the hell out of my elbows, especially the bands. But I'll be repeating this program again for sure.

Bruiser
01-31-2013, 08:59 AM
Decided to hit some deads this morning. Was gonna wait until this afternoon but it's supposed to be about 20 degrees cooler then. Hell no. So for a warmup I shoveled the driveway and the got on the heating pad for a while. Deads felt good. Pulled 365 solid which is the most I've pulled since the 1,200# two man deadlift attempt 3-4 weeks ago. Figured I better get use to pulling again with the 3x week program starting Monday. Was gonna go heavier but I can feel a tweak in my lower abs from squatting. Still, happy with 365 though. It was a nice quick training session.

Warmup:
Shoveled snow
Foam rolled
Heating pad

DEATHLIFT:
135 - 3x10
225 - 3x5
315 - 3x3
365 - 3x1

DONE

GazzyG
01-31-2013, 09:57 AM
Great work with the deads, bud.

Do you do any other core stuff, such as crunches etc?

Bruiser
02-01-2013, 09:27 AM
Went out to train today and hit my last bench session of this 4 week program. It was so cold my heater in the garage/gym wouldn't turn on. It was -4 in there! So I packed it up and decided I'll hit it tomorrow. My left elbow is far too sore to try pushing it hard in this cold. Don't wanna risk fucking it up and not getting to see the strength gains I've made after this month of benching 3x week.

Bruiser
02-01-2013, 09:28 AM
Great work with the deads, bud.

Do you do any other core stuff, such as crunches etc?

Thanks. All I do for core work is standing rope crunches. It's all I really need to do, since I don't use a belt when I lift. My abs get a ton of work squatting and deadlifting with no support.

macdaknife
02-01-2013, 10:14 AM
Thanks. All I do for core work is standing rope crunches. It's all I really need to do, since I don't use a belt when I lift. My abs get a ton of work squatting and deadlifting with no support.

I've found that I generally squat, and definately pull, better without a belt. I've started wearing the belt a bit higher to see if I can get more out of it.

Bruiser
02-02-2013, 10:50 AM
Today was the last day of the bench cycle. I thought I would be relieved, but I'm kinda bummed. I'm gonna miss benching 3x week. But my left elbow needs some SERIOUS rest and rehab. That's the only issue I had with the whole program. Can't wait to rest it and hit a new max in about 10 days.

BENCH:
Bar - 3x20
115 - 3x15
185 - 3x10
235 - 3x5
255 - 3x1
185 - 1x10
115 - 1x23

FIXED DD PULLDOWNS:
5x15

DB LATERAL RAISES:
5x10

ROPE PUSHDOWNS:
5x10

DONE

J L S
02-03-2013, 03:28 PM
solid week of training bruiser, still making these nice steady gains, its what its all about!

GazzyG
02-03-2013, 04:11 PM
Keep at it bud. And keep resting up that elbow.

macdaknife
02-04-2013, 05:07 AM
get that elbow rested up Bruiser then smash that new max buddy! looking forward to seeing what you get.

Bruiser
02-04-2013, 08:24 AM
solid week of training bruiser, still making these nice steady gains, its what its all about!

Keep at it bud. And keep resting up that elbow.

get that elbow rested up Bruiser then smash that new max buddy! looking forward to seeing what you get.

Thanks guys. The elbow is already feeling better. Yesterday I kept it slathered in Blue Heat. I finally figured out a way to keep it coated and not have the shit rub off on everything. I took a pair of old tube socks and cut the toes off them. Slathered my elbows in liniment and then just slid the socks over my elbows. Worked great!

Bruiser
02-04-2013, 08:24 AM
As soon as I wake up I have 8oz grapefruit juice with BCAAs, creatine and glutamine. 20 minutes later I have my shake with 4 raw eggs, 12oz whole milk, 50g whey and 4 scoops of psyllium husk. Then 45 min later...

Here was my breakfast.
8 egg ham and cheese omelet topped with sour cream
2 cups oats with blueberries and vanilla yogurt
32oz water

To give you an idea how big this omelet was, that's a 12" dinner plate it's hanging off. Lol

http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i466/pierce76/image-1_zps55cc9f58.jpg

Bruiser
02-04-2013, 08:29 AM
I think I figured out my Deadlift program now. This is tentative depending on how I recover. My current max is 405.

Week 1 - Mon/Wed/Fri:
135 - 3x10
225 - 3x5
315 - 3x3
365 - 3x1

Week 2
145 - 3x10
235 - 3x5
325 - 3x3
375 - 3x1

Week 3
155 - 3x10
245 - 3x5
335 - 3x3
385 - 3x1

Week 4
165 - 3x10
255 - 3x5
345 - 3x3
395 - 3x1

All days' assistance work:
GMs - 5 sets
Rope Crunches - 5 sets
Hamstring curls - 5 sets

macdaknife
02-04-2013, 09:25 AM
hahaha... bloody hell mate, that's a LOT of food in the morning! I can't see the picture here at work but I can imagine it... an 8 egg omelette!! an old mate of mine is BBer (Mr UK a couple of time in his weight class) and he has 2 omelettes a day; a 12 egg in the morning and a 10 egg last thing at night (both with all but 2 yolks removed). you'd need to get on the Gaspari Superpump 250 to have a shit after all that egg!

does the DL programme start today?

Bruiser
02-04-2013, 10:39 AM
hahaha... bloody hell mate, that's a LOT of food in the morning! I can't see the picture here at work but I can imagine it... an 8 egg omelette!! an old mate of mine is BBer (Mr UK a couple of time in his weight class) and he has 2 omelettes a day; a 12 egg in the morning and a 10 egg last thing at night (both with all but 2 yolks removed). you'd need to get on the Gaspari Superpump 250 to have a shit after all that egg!

Hahaha. SuperDump 250. That stuff cost me a pair of shoes one day. I used two scoops and well... lets just say squat day got ugly...

Bruiser
02-04-2013, 10:40 AM

Oh, and yes. I'm on the heating pad getting my back warmed up right now, I'll be hitting deads in 10 minutes.

Bruiser
02-04-2013, 12:05 PM
Went out and attempted to start my new 4 week DL program today. Wow. It almost killed me and I only got through half of it! I've never done too many reps when I DL. Even when I go for a new max, I'll only hit maybe 2 warmup sets with 135 and 2 with 225 before I move onto 300+. And never more than 5 reps each. Today the 135 for 3x10 and 225 for 3x5 was brutal. Gonna have to decided how or if I'm gonna try to DL 3x week. Probably gonna just back it down to twice a week with higher reps and build my strength that way. I couldn't even do any assistance work by the time I was done today.

DEATHLIFT:
135 - 3x10
225 - 3x5
315 - 3x1

DONE

It wasn't anywhere near what I wanted to do today, but in reality it's damn good. That's probably the most volume I've done in a long time. Plus I've probably only done deadlifts less than 30 times ever. So backing it down to 2x week with light weight/high volume and some assistance work will build my DL a ton! Plus, I can't do a push/pull in May if I'm injured.

macdaknife
02-05-2013, 07:14 AM
maybe try just cutting down on the number of warmup sets Bruiser. I do a set of 5 or 10 at a light weight then a set or 2 of 3 and after that just singles.

Bruiser
02-05-2013, 11:34 AM
Went out and did a quick squat session today. Didn't wanna take too long outside with a sick kiddo at home. Ran through the training session so fast I had horrid back pumps and had to stop short of my goal. Finished the whole thing in about 20-25 min. Had trouble walking back to the house so I'd say it was an effective session.

SQUATS:
Bar - 3x10
115 - 3x8
185 - 3x5
255 - 3x2
275 - 3x1

DONE

With starting this 3x week DL program, I was worried about what would happen to my squat. Because today was rough since I hit DL yesterday and I'm supposed to again tomorrow. What I'm gonna try is doing some squats on DL days as assistance work. That way I still have a day off between "lower body" days. Sure I'll be DL and squatting 3x week but I'll recover better doing that than trying to squat on Tuesdays between DL sessions. I'll try it out next week and see.

Bruiser
02-05-2013, 11:36 AM
maybe try just cutting down on the number of warmup sets Bruiser. I do a set of 5 or 10 at a light weight then a set or 2 of 3 and after that just singles.

Since I'm still practically a noob on DLs, any volume is gonna be beneficial. No point in getting stupid and hurting myself. I'm thinking of still doing the 3x week but do something more like this.

Mon (moderate volume)
135 - 2x10
225 - 2x5
315 - 2x3
365 - 2x1 maybe

Wed (speed pulls)
135 - 5x3
225 - 5x3
+45# chains - 2x5

Fri (heavy singles)
135 - 3x5
225 - 1x5
315 - 1x1
335 - 1x1
355 - 1x1
375 - 1x1
Or work to as heavy as feels alright without too much strain

And then hit whatever assistance work I can do each day.

GazzyG
02-05-2013, 01:10 PM
Good work with the squats and deads.

I'm sure the deads'll fly up.

Bruiser
02-05-2013, 02:18 PM
Good work with the squats and deads.

I'm sure the deads'll fly up.

Thanks. I figure if I throw in 5 sets of squats 3x week as assistance work, it can only help. Plus gives me more recovery time too!

J L S
02-05-2013, 03:32 PM
nice work bruiser, im sure you're body will tell you if its too much buddy, just keep milking those gains like you have been for past few months now!

macdaknife
02-07-2013, 05:31 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing your numbers go through the roof Bruiser!

hope your kid gets better soon too bud.

Bruiser
02-07-2013, 09:05 AM
nice work bruiser, im sure you're body will tell you if its too much buddy, just keep milking those gains like you have been for past few months now!

Thanks. Turns out its a bit much. I'm changing it up to 2x week.

I'm looking forward to seeing your numbers go through the roof Bruiser!

hope your kid gets better soon too bud.

Thanks. He's still home sick today and now gave it to me... Ughhh

Bruiser
02-07-2013, 09:06 AM
Still feeling like crap but I don't wanna mess up my first week of this DL program so I tried to push through it. Went out and had a pretty decent start and then just started locking up. Think I'm gonn back it down to 2x week for DL. One hgh volume day and one speed day. The split will look like this:

Mon: DL - high volume
Tue: bench
Wed: squat
Thu: OHP
Fri: DL - speed day

Here was today's crappy session.

DEADLIFT:
225 - 8x3

SQUAT:
115 - 5x5
185 - 3x3

DONE

Bruiser
02-08-2013, 02:29 PM
I'm finally gonna test out my max tomorrow when I head down to Jakked Gym in IL. My current max is 295 but after finishing this 3x week bench program I wrote up, I feel like 300 is in the bag and I'm hoping for 310-315. Tomorrow night or Sunday I'll post some pics and video of tomorrow's festivities.

GazzyG
02-08-2013, 02:34 PM
3 plates would be an epic lift, for sure!

Bruiser
02-08-2013, 02:47 PM
3 plates would be an epic lift, for sure!

No shit! I have only hit 295 once and 285 twice. By the end of the program I was hitting 275 for 3x2! And that was after high volume benching 3x week with bands and chains! Plus with band tension I was regularly hitting 315-320 at lockout! I had 225 with the plates and bar + 90-95 of tension at the top! So I KNOW 305 is there!

macdaknife
02-08-2013, 03:03 PM
I'm finally gonna test out my max tomorrow when I head down to Jakked Gym in IL. My current max is 295 but after finishing this 3x week bench program I wrote up, I feel like 300 is in the bag and I'm hoping for 310-315. Tomorrow night or Sunday I'll post some pics and video of tomorrow's festivities.

good luck tomorrow buddy!

Bruiser
02-09-2013, 11:44 AM
Didn't end up heading to Jakked Gym in Montgomery today. The little guy was really sad when I told him I was leaving. Since he's been home sick since Tuesday, we've been attached at the hip. So there was no way I could leave him today. Decided to just hit the garage instead. And it went great! Warmed and 275 went like butter. So. I jumped to 300 and killed it! Finally! Then I tried 305 and failed. So I dropped it back to 300 and hit it a second time! Nice... I think if I woulda skipped 300 and jumped right to 305 I woulda had it. It was right there today. Next goal = 3pps.

Warmup:
Blue Heat
Rotator Cuff work

BENCH:
Bar - 3x20
115 - 3x10
185 - 1x5
255 - 1x1
275 - 1x1
300 - 1x1* (PR... 300 club!)
305 - fail
300 - 1x1
275 - 1x1
255 - 1x1
185 - 1x10
115 - 1x17

Burnout drop set was brutal!

DONE

J L S
02-10-2013, 06:07 PM
nice work on the PR bruiser! hope you are all feeling better

macdaknife
02-11-2013, 03:04 AM
BENCH:
300 - 1x1* (PR... 300 club!)

NICE! very well done mate!

larsen540
02-11-2013, 08:41 AM
Nice work on the bench. keep it up hopefully the little guy is feeling better.

GazzyG
02-11-2013, 09:42 AM
Absolute whisker away from 3pps, there!

I reckon you're right - if you'd gone for 305 rather 300 then you'd've got it!

Bruiser
02-11-2013, 02:37 PM
nice work on the PR bruiser! hope you are all feeling better

Thanks, he's doing good and was back to school today.

NICE! very well done mate!

Thanks Mac

Nice work on the bench. keep it up hopefully the little guy is feeling better.

Thanks bud. He was up and out of his mind yesterday! Had 6 days of energy bottled up! Lol

Absolute whisker away from 3pps, there!

I reckon you're right - if you'd gone for 305 rather 300 then you'd've got it!

Fuck yeah! I'm kicking myself now for now going for it.

Bruiser
02-12-2013, 10:58 AM
Was planning on hitting deads Monday and doing the 2x week program. But I was still wrecked from last week. There's no point in overdoing the deads and putting myself out of the meet in May. So for this month I'm gonna go back to my normal split, and then next month do the bench program again. So Monday I hit up some quick & light bench work since I'd just maxed out Saturday.

BENCH:
Bar - 3x20
115 - 5x20
185 - 5x15

FIXED DD HANDLE PDs:
5x20

OHDB EXT:
5x10

DONE