PDA

View Full Version : Too skinny, want to gain weight. What should I do?

Clear12k
08-25-2012, 12:47 PM
I'm about 5'9", 130 lbs right now. I think I have a lot of fat on my face because I have chubby cheeks (not a lot, about moderate). I can't seem to gain weight so I think I have fast metabolism or something is not right with my body. I'm tired of looking this skinny so I want to do something about it.

I'm kind of new to bodybuilding stuff so I don't know the best way for me to start.

My plan is to do these things:
Diet: milk, eggs, chicken, vegetables, rice, supplements
Exercise: high intensity interval training, dumbbell/kettlebell, playing sports
Sleep: 6-8 hours/day

What do you think?

I want to stay on a budget so probably going to buy food in bulk and cook at home. What should I eat that have high calories and cheap?
How do I get rid of my chubby cheeks (too much fat in the wrong place)? How do I make my other body parts bigger (mostly chest, butt, arms, legs)?

Can anyone point me in the right direction regarding threads/sites/resources that can help me?

Thank you for your help.

thecourtside
08-30-2012, 10:02 AM
like others have said, this is the most common q for skinny people who can never gain. i'm in the same shoes and just started last week. we just aren't eating enough. simple at that. I started eating more learn meats and force myself to eat as much as I can take. not overeating just yet but you have to add more food in any way possible as long as it is healthy. lift 3-4x a week. a lot of people recommend starting strength routine. bottom line- stuff your face with food all day and lift 4x a week and you WILL see growth.

Kiaran
08-30-2012, 10:15 AM
How old are you? And what does your current exercise pattern look like in an average week? (i.e. how much sports, how much activity, etc.) What do you do for work? (i.e. sitting or standing all day)

FearFactory
08-30-2012, 10:52 AM
Drink a half gallon of milk a day on top of all your food. Add milk as necessary. Eat a lot of peanut butter.

At 130 lbs, you just need foods high in fat at this point. With that being said, don't go too overboard. I would aim for 1-2 lbs a week.

The biggest hurdle you will have is getting your stomach used to handling the extra food. It gets easier, I promise, but the beginning sucks.

PatoriaN
09-05-2012, 10:16 PM
At 130 lbs, you just need foods high in fat at this point.

Just to clarify, this doesn't include fast food and junk food. There are size gains through muscle or size through fat. You want muscle. This includes healthy fats.

Bruiser
09-06-2012, 05:40 AM
Back off the HIIT cardio if you're trying to gain. And DBs and kettlbells are NOT gonna get you big. Start doing heavy compound movements (bench, squat, deadlift and OHP). Add in one gallon of whole milk a day on top of your regular diet. Eat at least a dozen eggs a day (not just the whites) and lots of PB as mentioned above. Get your carbs in. Whole wheat pasta, multigrain bread, potatoes, rice, etc. And don't be afraid to throw in some fast food too.

DoUgL@S
09-06-2012, 10:00 AM
If you want to gain weight, eat more. It really is that simple. All the suggestions so far are great ways to take in more calories.

Holto
09-06-2012, 10:23 AM
Back off the HIIT cardio if you're trying to gain.

Strongly agree.

And DBs and kettlbells are NOT gonna get you big. Start doing heavy compound movements (bench, squat, deadlift and OHP).

DB rows and DB bench are still compounds.

glennyphn
09-06-2012, 01:43 PM
If you want to gain weight, eat more. It really is that simple. All the suggestions so far are great ways to take in more calories.

Eating more is the best way to gain weight. But be sure not to eat unhealthy foods. Many get envied on people that has fast metabolism or people who don't gain weight easily even eating many foods.

loganchristophe
09-18-2012, 05:00 AM
The answer is simple: eat more caloric dense foods and there are also alot of cheap alternatives that you can eat like bread, pasta and add some cheap protein sources like chicken breast, tuna, eggs

RhodeHouse
09-18-2012, 08:36 AM
Eat more, dude. It's really that simple.

workoutreviewer
10-02-2012, 01:17 PM
Train your body to eat more. By eating 6 or more meals a day you will be able to achieve this. Also, by spreading out your meals you will be able to give your body a constant stream of nutrients. Make sure that all meals have some from of lean protein, complex carbs and unsaturated fats. I don't highly recommend it but, if you still find it hard to eat that much than get some meal replacements or mass gainer.

Heres a quick recipe for some homemade protein bars to conveniently eat in between meal:
2 Cups Old Fashion Oats
1/2 Cup All Natural Peanut Butter
4 Scoops Whey Protein

Mix these all together and add enough water to make them formable. Don't add too much water or else it will be a mess. Add an 1/8 of a cup at a time. Then spread out the mixture on a cookie sheet, stick in the fridge and cut out as needed. You can also form them into balls. Just make sure you have a lot of water when you eat them

RichMcGuire
10-02-2012, 02:15 PM
Just to clarify, this doesn't include fast food and junk food. There are size gains through muscle or size through fat. You want muscle. This includes healthy fats.

Excess Calories beyond the threshold of someones ability to add muscle at any given point is the result of more fat gain. Fast food does not equate to simple fat gains over foods in "healthy" fats.