PDA

View Full Version : pre-workout meal

runt
06-18-2002, 07:11 AM
I've been serching for the perfect easy pre-workout meal and I'm wondering if a Schmuckers All Natural peanut butter sandwich would be good an hour or so before lifting.

Hellrazor
06-18-2002, 07:29 AM
peanut butter sandwich ???????? I`m sure you can think of something better than that lol...suppose it would do though.

Why people are so obsessed with what they eat pre workout I do not know...no matter what you eat it`s not going to make much of a difference to your workout..if any.

runt
06-18-2002, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by Hellrazor
peanut butter sandwich ???????? I`m sure you can think of something better than that lol...suppose it would do though.

Why people are so obsessed with what they eat pre workout I do not know...no matter what you eat it`s not going to make much of a difference to your workout..if any.

Hellrazor, really? For some reason I thought it was a big deal. I'm more than happy to give up an obsession. I get way too worried about doing it exactly right. OK, why doesn't make a difference?

tudmuf2b
06-18-2002, 08:11 AM
Now, I'm a little confused....

Should I eat something like trail mix (something with a good amount of carbs) before my morning workout, and then have some high protein snack right after, and not something high in fat (like peanut butter)?

Sorry, still learning the ropes of proper dieting.... :)

YatesNightBlade
06-18-2002, 09:06 AM
Some fats, carbs and proteins.

I have some brown rice with olive oil and chicken.

It doen't really matter, so long as you get all three nutriants.

Vido
06-18-2002, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Hellrazor

I agree Hellrazor. Your body is still going to be using the food from the previous day for the workout, so maybe you should be more concerned with your day-before-workout meals. It will also use food from the present day as well, especially the later in the day you workout, but the fact of the matter is that what you eat directly pre-workout will not be digested nearly quick enough to be used as energy for the workout.

runt
06-18-2002, 01:14 PM
Vido, thanks. That makes a lot of sense - I'm just not going to worry about it anymore.

Hellrazor
06-18-2002, 01:59 PM
Exactly...Yates and Vido both hit the nail on the head. Post workout = different story altogether.

Saint Patrick
06-19-2002, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by YatesNightBlade
Some fats, carbs and proteins.

It doen't really matter, so long as you get all three nutriants.

So a Power Bar or Clif Bar would work good as well?

YatesNightBlade
06-19-2002, 02:44 AM
Not sure whats in these bars ..... but it's probebly sugar or someother high gylcemic carb.

I would stick to low glycemic carbs for pre workout. ie brown rice, oats, fiberious veggies. Some fruit is a good idea too.

The_Chicken_Daddy
06-19-2002, 05:56 AM
Originally posted by Vido

I agree Hellrazor. Your body is still going to be using the food from the previous day for the workout, so maybe you should be more concerned with your day-before-workout meals. It will also use food from the present day as well, especially the later in the day you workout, but the fact of the matter is that what you eat directly pre-workout will not be digested nearly quick enough to be used as energy for the workout.

If that was totally true, then people could go the day without eating at all and train late in the day and have a great workout. Does that happen?

No.

Reinier
06-19-2002, 06:17 AM
Yates, what does fruit have to do with that. doesn`t fruit have high gi carbs

YatesNightBlade
06-19-2002, 08:58 AM
Some fruit yeah ...... fibre too .... it's post workout ....... a little simple sugar is fine jst b4.