PDA

View Full Version : Stiff Achilles After Plyometrics

Silverback
08-28-2012, 02:37 AM
Wanted to get some thoughts on plyometrics,

Whenever i do them i get a stiff right achilles after and day after.

Am fine with depth jumps, but box jumps over 20" seem to make it sore.

Yesterday i worked up to a max jump of 52" (15 jumps in total)

Would you guys suggest to drop it or alter it?

thanks

A

RhodeHouse
08-28-2012, 06:03 AM
Why are you doing plyometrics? If it hurts, don't do it. Simple.

ScottYard
08-28-2012, 06:14 AM
As I get older I just have to cut some things loose. The risk outweighs the reward. This might be one of those things.

Silverback
08-28-2012, 06:32 AM
Rhodehouse - been doing them to help with speed/power. Started when I see Ben Rice doing a tutorial on squats I think and he said that plyo's + core work were important in bigger picture of getting strong.

Scottyard - I did think that! Your probably right! Getting old is tough pill to swallow!

BloodandThunder
08-28-2012, 11:39 AM
Regulate it like anything else in training. Some guys get beat up elbows after weeks of DE benching vs bands. Same principle.
15 jumps at that height is most likely too much volume especially if you're doing other stuff after the plyos. Speed/power can also be developed through other means besides plyometrics.

First rule in sports though: Know the difference between sore, hurt, and injured.

Meatfish
08-28-2012, 03:35 PM
As someone who has been battling Achilles tendinitis for going on 3 years now in both ankles I say if it hurts, stop now or you will be in for a rough ride. Also, lots of calf raises with a slow eccentric help strengthen the tendon.

RhodeHouse
08-29-2012, 09:26 AM
Rhodehouse - been doing them to help with speed/power. Started when I see Ben Rice doing a tutorial on squats I think and he said that plyo's + core work were important in bigger picture of getting strong.

Scottyard - I did think that! Your probably right! Getting old is tough pill to swallow!

Speed and power for what? Lifting or sports? If it's lifting, there are much better options. If something hurts or gets aggravated, it's not a good thing to keep doing.

I've never heard of Ben Rice. Can't be that big in the strength field.