PDA

View Full Version : When to carb up

speakers
08-29-2012, 07:22 PM
I'm trying to cut down, im following low carb high protein around 1800 cals, 190g protein, 80g fat, around 10g carbs. I have never really done a cut before so it is all new to me.

Firstly, how to these macros sound? I'm losing around half a kilo a week which I am happy with (wanting to keep most of my gains).

Secondly, since I am eating such a low amount of carbs should I have a carb up meal weekly? When should I have it? I was thinking either before or after my squat session. How does this sound?

Stats:
21yo, 88kg, 6ft, lifting for 2 years (since I last had an extended break due to broken leg).

speakers
08-29-2012, 08:43 PM
also, if I found I was losing too much weight, and my lifts were going down too much and I wanted to add some calories (200-300) would it be best to add more protein or perhaps add some preworkout carbs. Or would have the pre workout carbs defeat the purpose of trying to go low carbs-high fat?

03mach421
08-30-2012, 11:57 AM
Well first of all, with the macros you posted you are consuming around 1400-1500 cals. Not 1800. And with fat at 80g that means it's accounting for 50% of your cals, that's a lot especially for a cut.

I'd increase your protein to 200-210, lower the fat and increase the carbs a little bit

However, it's hard to draw a solid answer from your first post only

Allen Cress
08-30-2012, 12:11 PM
Calories are definitley too low. In general you could slightly increase protein, but I would focus more on your protein sparing nutrient (carbs and fats). Keto type diets have their place but i always implement at least one high carb day a week.

speakers
08-30-2012, 02:29 PM
Basically I am eating beef, chicken, almonds, cottage cheese, eggs, protein shakes. I don't really like drinking shakes compared to whole foods but to increase the protein without increasing fat should I just add an extra protein shake(s)? or should I just increase portion sizes of the beef and chicken I eat? thanks for the replies, as I said this is my first proper cut, its going to be a lot of trial and error I guess.

edit: just read over the responses again I think I will add rice and increase portion sizes of meat.

03mach421
08-30-2012, 03:15 PM
Rice and oatmeal would be good additives to your diet as far as carbs go. Increasing protein intake doesn't mean you are forced to increase fat intake, more chicken and low fat milk are two easy examples. A lot of beef isn't going to make your cut any easier...

speakers
09-11-2012, 01:52 AM
These are my new macros since I have taken this advice, been eating this for the past week and a half. Should I increase calories/anything? Eating whole foods plus a few shakes, not feeling hungry or lacking energy yet. (based on fitday)

cals-2016

fat-58.4

carbs-97.9

prot-244.7

sitting at about 86kg