PDA

View Full Version : fructose

Silverback
06-18-2002, 03:54 PM
one of my mates is giving up bodybuilding due to a serious illness, he used to use 'Slimfast' in order to bulk as part of his diet and he gave me his remaining supplies, i read the nutri label and from the carbs the majority connsisted of fructose. i was wondering are these okay to take on board or will they provide insulin rushes and promote fat storage?

Fudomyo
06-18-2002, 04:20 PM
Fructose is pretty low GI (32 vs. 137 for glucose).

Who would have thought that SlimFast did something right?

Fudo

Cackerot69
06-18-2002, 07:15 PM
Fructose = bad.

Blood&Iron
06-18-2002, 09:32 PM
'Taint quite that simple. Eating a sh*tload of fructose every day while dieting might be a bit counterproductive as it preferentially refills liver glycogen. This is turn leads to a fairly significant decrease in lipid oxidiation, i.e. your body doesn't use fat as fuel. But, if bulking, full liver gycogen puts one in the 'fed' state, which is necessary for optimal anabolism. So, it depends on what your goals are and how much fructose you're taking in. More than 50g or so while dieting is probably a bad idea. A couple of pieces of fruit will not pose a significant problem in my mind. While bulking, don't worry about it. FYI fructose will not produce a rapid rise in insulin, but a slow prolonged one. I don't think using the shakes or no will make a terribly big difference either way provided your calories are constant.