PDA

View Full Version : Points Diet for bulking?

Saltrock
05-08-2001, 05:14 AM
A guy @ my gym is on some "points diet", from what I can tell you get a certain amount of points a day and you knock off points depending on how much saturated fat is in the food or drink.

i'm trying to bulk at the mo, will this diet benefit me or is this more for cutting up?

Do you need saturated fats while training/bulking/cutting up?

Thanx

Joe Black
05-08-2001, 06:28 AM
no..

Count calories not points..

The points diet is stupid and is for people who are obese..

I know people who have gone and they work out your amr just by your height and weight.. In that case Ronnie Coleman would be considered grossly obese..

Count calories, and eat GOOD fats.

Saltrock
05-08-2001, 07:30 AM
K

Cheers Clo,

Can anybody give me some ideas for "GOOD" fats and how fats help you gain muscle.

Cheers.

Franco
05-08-2001, 09:17 AM
About Essential Fatty Acids (EFAs)
Essential Fatty Acids (EFAs) are the building blocks of fats. There are two types: linoleic (omega-6) and alpha-linolenic (omega-3). They function as essential building blocks in every membrane of every cell in your body, keeping beneficial substances within your cells and harmful ones out. Because our bodies cannot make them, we have to obtain them from vegetable and fish sources, where they are naturally occurring. Flax seed contains high amounts of both essential fatty acids and is a natural, vegetarian source. The oil can be extracted from the seeds to obtain flax seed oil where the omega-3 and omega-6 content is concentrated.Flax oil, therefore, makes an excellent supplement to one`s diet to provide a healthy source of these essential fatty acids.

The major functions of EFAs include:

a ready source of energy
insulation for your body against heat loss
prevention of your skin from drying or flaking
a cushion for your tissues and organs
production of "prostaglandin" families, hormones necessary for cell to cell biochemical functions such as energy metabolism, cardiovascular and immune system health
Both omega-3 and omega-6 EFAs are necessary in our diet, but must exist in the proper ratio. Today's North American diet is sorely lacking in omega-3 EFAs. Our intake of omega-6 EFAs are much higher but mostly from refined and hydrogenated oils, and these have negative effects. Good quality omega-6 is available in fresh vegetables. The best omega-3 vegetable source is flax seeds. Moreover, the loss of a 1:1 ratio of omega-6 omega-3 EFAs is contrary to the diet of our ancestors when there was little evidence of chronic diseases. North Americans must therefore increase their omega-3 EFAs consumption in order to right this ratio, which has seen it swing dramatically to 20-25:1 in favor of omega-6 EFAs.

Omega-3 intake can be beneficial for the following:

allergies
cardiovascular problems
cholesterol control
circulatory problems
eczema
eyesight problems
immune deficiencies
learning difficulties
nerve problems
osteo-arthritis
rheumatoid arthritis