PDA

View Full Version : Is it time to move to intermediate/weekly progression for bench.

KJDANEXT0
09-02-2012, 01:54 PM
Alright, well my bench progress isn't really good on the linear progression at the moment. Hasn't been for the last while either. The progress IS there, but it's so slow.

Is it time for me to just progress by 5lbs weekly? I feel as though my progress would be alot faster if I did that for a while, but I just want to be sure.

Advice needed please.

Thanks.

tom183
09-02-2012, 04:53 PM
What are you currently doing? How long have you been doing it? How much do you bench press?

Is it time for me to just progress by 5lbs weekly? I feel as though my progress would be alot faster if I did that for a while

Why?

Bako Lifter
09-02-2012, 05:50 PM
What are you expecting? 5lb increases a week for three months is 60lbs . That doesn't happen unless you're brand new. If you're looking for that fast of progress you're going to be let down in a while with the results you actually do get.

RobmoriRB
09-02-2012, 07:19 PM
I find when switching bench types like Board pressing, floor pressing and Pin pressing might help, because when you continue training at 90% and above for 3 weeks on one lift you go back words.

DontTakeEmOff31
09-02-2012, 08:25 PM
Alright, well my bench progress isn't really good on the linear progression at the moment. Hasn't been for the last while either. The progress IS there, but it's so slow.

Is it time for me to just progress by 5lbs weekly? I feel as though my progress would be alot faster if I did that for a while, but I just want to be sure.

Advice needed please.

Thanks.

No, its not time to switch. I've seen you make many threads about changing your workout because your progress is slow. You need to stop thinking you should be stronger than you are. You need to progress SLOWLY, steady and slowly. Do 5/3/1, I'm pretty sure this has been told to you before. Don't change anything for a year.

I guarantee you will not make real progress until you stop jumping around and trying to progress faster and faster. I've seen this happen to so many people, and none of them have made any real progress.

AidZ
09-03-2012, 03:55 AM
No, its not time to switch. I've seen you make many threads about changing your workout because your progress is slow. You need to stop thinking you should be stronger than you are. You need to progress SLOWLY, steady and slowly. Do 5/3/1, I'm pretty sure this has been told to you before. Don't change anything for a year.

I guarantee you will not make real progress until you stop jumping around and trying to progress faster and faster. I've seen this happen to so many people, and none of them have made any real progress.

Results won't come overnight unless you're brand new to lifting as Bako Lifter said. If you're not prepared to put in the long-term effort, to be patient with your development, and to accept that you're only as strong as you are not as strong as you think you are or want to be, then you won't make progress.

Make a plan. A long-term plan. And stick to it. I've been doing 5/3/1 for 2 months now and I'm going to keep doing it until next summer at least. In 2 months, I've jumped up 5kg in bench and 10kg in squats and deads, and frankly, after almost a year of not breaking through my previous figures, I'm ecstatic. But I'm not thinking about a month or a year ago. I'm not even thinking about next month. I'm thinking about next year and focusing on that.

RhodeHouse
09-04-2012, 06:25 AM
If you have to ask if it's time to move to "intermediate" the answer is no. You're not ready. When you're ready you don't ask. You just do.