PDA

View Full Version : DE bench question

vdizenzo
09-04-2012, 11:59 AM
Yesterday I was going through my speed work, this week was 260 w/2 chains per side. I like doing much of my speed work without wraps. However, I struggle with form and wrist issues when I use a closer grip. Now, when I'm comp grip I feel like a world beater!

My question is, how necessary are the more narrow grips on this exercise? I do a ton of tri work and a lot of closer grip work anyway. In addition, I feel like I am practicing bad form on 2/3's of my benching when using the grips other than comp. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

BloodandThunder
09-04-2012, 12:41 PM
I always thought it was weird using the same bar weight for three different grips (comp grip, wide, close grip) which most likely have three different 1RMs and all have a different frequency of use through training cycles. I also wondered if Louie ever experimented with DE box squats, altering the stance set-to-set.

I think with block training or conjugate training, it's more important to utilize DE methods as lift-specific and should favor the competition grip especially if you lean heavily towards variations on ME Days. DE is where you perform the bulk of your training volume after all and as you get towards your realization scheme, everything should be mimicking that meet day bench.

You're clearly leaning towards that notion when you note how much CG/tri work you currently do. Perhaps take a ME effort exercise 3-4 weeks after not rotating grips and see how that comp grip ME day pans out?

Travis Bell
09-04-2012, 12:57 PM
Last few months I've used one grip each week. Closer I get to a meet I stick with comp grip.

*Just to clarify, Louie doesn't recommend using ultra wide grip for DE bench. Most of us do, thumbs from the smooth, pinkies on the rings and comp grip

I like the closer grips for my equipped benching because towards the top, it often mimicks the movement my elbows have to go through to reach lockout.

On the wrist issue though I have started adding in wrist and forearm work in for the same reason. But if my wrists are beat up I wear a loose wrap.

ScottYard
09-04-2012, 07:47 PM
I had my best results with speed work going with my comp grip. it also tore me up as well though.

chris mason
09-04-2012, 09:19 PM
Use the comp grip. No problem with that unless you get into overuse injury issues.

Justin Randal
09-04-2012, 09:29 PM
I say train this with a comp grip most of the time. Though I occasionally like to train with my weakest (Narrow) grip just to mix things up once in a while..

vdizenzo
09-05-2012, 05:31 AM
Grrrrrrrr, I appreciate the responses. It seems like there is not definitive answer. Now I feel just more like a coward and am trying to get out of the grip I am not good at. I will be pouring more thought into this until next DE day.

Bruiser
09-05-2012, 05:44 AM
What I've done in the past is this. Figure out your max for each grip (comp, wide may not vary too much, but it will vary some). Then on DE day start with your heaviest weight and do 3 sets, drop it to your next weight and do 3 sets then drop it to your lowest weight (probably CGBP) and do your last three sets. This way you're truly doing your ACTUAL weight % (for example 50%) for each lift. Because yes, I do think they are completely different lifts. But each has it's purpose in strengthening your bench, just like incline and decline do.

RhodeHouse
09-05-2012, 07:48 AM
Train what you're not good at. You get plenty of competition grip work. Worrying about a few speed sets doesn't make any sense.

As for your wrsits, wear wraps, dude. Who are you trying to impress? Stay healthy, or go wrapless? The easiest way to 600 is to be healthy.

JK1
09-05-2012, 11:15 PM
I vary grip depending on where I am in the training cycle. If I'm way out from a meet, I move my grip in closer. As I get closer and closer to a meet, I do the majority (ie 4 of the 9 sets I typically do) with my competition grip. I then do 2 sets with my grip slightly wider and 3 sets with the grip slightly closer--about a fingers to 2 fingers (my fingers are wide) width. I'll admit, it gets confusing because I also adjust my grip depending on which bench shirt I'm using. The next meet I'm using my SDP. My strongest grip with the SDP is middle finger on the ring. So.. Right now I'm doing 4 sets with middle finger on the ring, 2 sets with index finger on the ring, and 3 sets with ring finger to pinky on the ring.

I have no idea where or how I came up with this, other than I started doing it a few years ago when I realized the dynamic work close grip (ie thumbs from the smooth) irritated my right shoulder and elbow and I quite honestly was slow as hell doing them because I was favoring that shoulder/elbow. So I compromised and went with what felt right, where I could keep good bar speed, but vary just slightly, and it worked.