PDA

View Full Version : Cardio before or after lifting?

Saint Patrick
06-19-2002, 11:15 AM
If I'm going to lift and do cardio on the same day, which should I do first, and why?

Vido
06-19-2002, 11:19 AM
If you are going to do them on the same day then do cardio in the morning (on an empty or light stomach) and weight train later in the day. Personally, I believe it is detrimental to do cardio directly before or after weights. If you do it before then you are more tired than you should be before you start your weight training. If you do it after then you are neglecting (or at least postponing) your post-workout shake which is a big no-no imo.

millertime
06-19-2002, 11:25 AM
I used to do 20 mins before lifing and felt fine, my lifts were great. Now I do 45 mins after each workout, I have been growing bigger and stronger. Sometime I do 20 mins cardio mid workout then another 25 mins after my workout just to change it up. I have come to find that it doesn't matter when you do your cardio, in relation to your lifts.

ElPietro
06-19-2002, 11:35 AM
If you have to do it in the same session do cardio after lifting. Doing cardio before lifting is counter-productive.

millertime
06-19-2002, 11:36 AM
Both drapper and arnold did cardio before lifting, tell them it was counter productive.

Vido
06-19-2002, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by millertime
Both drapper and arnold did cardio before lifting, tell them it was counter productive.

Both Draper and Arnold juiced too. What's your point?

millertime
06-19-2002, 11:44 AM
It doesn't matter when you do cardio.

Vido
06-19-2002, 11:46 AM
Millertime, Arnold drank beer after workouts too. Do you recommend that as well?

millertime
06-19-2002, 11:50 AM
If this was beer drinking thread then sure, but back on topic.

I have done cardio before workouts and its fine. why shouldn't you do cardio before a workout?

ElPietro
06-19-2002, 11:54 AM
Why are you doing the cardio? When you do cardio before workout when typically your blood glucose levels are high you are using this as fuel for your cardio. So when you finally go and hit the weights you are in a more depleted state and cannot lift as effectively, as your body can't really use fat as an energy source for aenerobic weight lifting. So if anything you are unable to lift as effectively and therefore cannot stress your muscles maximally which will lead to less than maximal growth, and your cardio would not have had much if any impact on direct fat burning.

Just because arnold does something means jack. You can copy him but if you like but you're pretty much wasting your time unless you are on the exact same diet/training/supplement/injection plan he was on.

Leviathan
06-19-2002, 11:54 AM
Millertime... what works for you might not work for everyone else. The reason a lot of bodybuilders don't do cardio post-workout is because you need to take advantage of the 'anabolic-window' following heavy lifting (i.e. you need to be eating during that time frame). In fact, those 3 hours post-workout are the most important 3 hours for muscle growth - so you need to be constantly feeding your muscles nutrients.

Furthermore, after about 30-40 minutes of heavy exercise (lifting) your body will move to a catabolic mode that leads to muscle breakdown. So lets say you lift for 30-40 minutes and do cardio for 30-40 minutes (either before or after you lift) - that means you are spending as much time in a catabolic state as you are in an anabolic state.

I'd venture to guess that you'd gain more quicker, millertime, if you split up your cardio and lifting so that you had at least 8 hours between them.

Hellrazor
06-19-2002, 01:00 PM
Hey Arnold used to beat his wife !!

* walks downstairs and lays the smackdown on his candy ass girlfriend*

stantheman
06-19-2002, 01:09 PM
What do you guys think about shooting some basketball around the gym before lifting? Just for about 20 minutes to get some blood flowing, and to put those squats to use with my Vince Carter immitations.

You guys should not talk about Arnold like that, he is the MAN!

Saint Patrick
06-19-2002, 01:17 PM
ok I think this is what I'll do.

1 Hour lifting
post w/o shake & rest for a few mins
1 hour cardio
go home and pass out