PDA

View Full Version : Westside questions

patricky
09-07-2012, 03:45 AM
Hey all.
I've recently switched to conjugate training with good results.

I saw mark bells youtube video about WS for raw lifters and he said to go easy on the bands and chains.

At the moment I can't bench because of supraspinatus inflammation. Seeing a physio soon.

So far I've been doing

ME 1
Front squats

ME 2
Deadlifts

ME 3
Zercher squats

ME 4
Rack deadlifts.

Now if I have this right I need another couple of exercises. So I'm going to get a safety squat bar. But what other deadlift variation can I do that doesn't involve bands or chains? I have a trap bar but heard it's no good for the powerlifts.

The RE work I do are
Glute ham raise
Reverse hyper
Is there any more you can suggest?

Cheers guys, you can see my log here http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?154595-Patricky-s-Westside-shoulder-rehab-log

And BTW even though I have semi decent numbers I'm still at the intermediate stage.

Opinions?

drew
09-07-2012, 07:50 AM
You can use the trap bar. Just make it one of your rotation and don't do it all the time. It's fine. You can do deadlifts from various pin heights in the rack and you can do deadlifts standing on plates or blocks.

RobmoriRB
09-07-2012, 08:01 AM
I have been running the Westside for over a month and almost everything they do for equipped you can do for RAW. I use bands but for DE i use the 50% then move up 5lbs each week. If you can get green bands, you got ME reverse bands, and ME band work there.

For Squat's- try using box squats at different hight for example low box(below Parallel) Paraellel box squats and above. so that will give you alot more to do so Zercher Box squats and so on.

For DL- you can add Deficit DL to the list, so for example i use 4 10lb plates 2 under each. what this does it works the lower back even more. If you are going to do it only go up to 8 10lb plates 4 under each.

For RE lower body work- you can do leg press, leg extension/curls, lunges, Goblet squats.
For RE Back- pull through, Good mornings

navid123
09-07-2012, 09:22 AM
Moderate sumo stance, or defecit deadlifts.

RhodeHouse
09-09-2012, 09:37 AM
Why are you choosing these exrcises? Do they actually help your squat and deadlift or are you just picking exercises? It's not about choices for the sake of doing something different. It's about picking exercises that work.

BloodandThunder
09-09-2012, 12:10 PM
What Rhodes said x 2

Use ME exercises that will indicate progress in your competition lifts. I know if my competition grip floor press 1RM is moving, my raw bench is moving. However, just because my 4board max is moving, it doesn't mean my paused bench is. This varies with each person. It's based on your leverages and training experience.

Use exercises for volume to build the lifts. Just because my 2brd or 3brd 1RM doesn't carryover to my paused bench doesn't mean that doing something like 5 x 3 with those won't help my tricep strength and lockout. Use the same logic with lower lifts.

You can also try concentric GM's off pins or chains. Mimics the DL fairly well if you pull convo.

J L S
09-10-2012, 03:31 PM
ive used the conjugate system for a fair amount of time now raw and made it work and learned a few things for me that dont work, but going on just over 3 years and it was one of the best choices I made. I will say from my personal experience and it may be just because im an intermediate lifter, I get a lot more out of 5's and triples than I do one rep maxes. There are only certain lifts I will do for singles and see progress with, just need the extra volume I think.

Id also say I agree massively with what rhodes said about picking exercises that work and finding out how certain lifts correlate to progress with your competition lifts, but I also think generically for raw lifters, pausing your benches and squats and pulling from a deficit are some of the better things you can do for ME variations.

safety squat bar would be a great investment and dont neglect the actual competition lifts if you are raw, its fine to throw them in every now and then.

patricky
09-10-2012, 07:24 PM
Why are you choosing these exrcises? Do they actually help your squat and deadlift or are you just picking exercises? It's not about choices for the sake of doing something different. It's about picking exercises that work.

Hey. I find that they help my deadlift greatly, especially the Zerchers. Back squat not so much. But I can't really back squat without back pain so that doesn't matter.

I'm really doing Westside to help my deadlift and strongman.

J L S
09-11-2012, 10:53 AM
damn man, never realised you were a SM, same reasoning applies though, pick your max effort rotations wisely so that they transfer most over to your events then, but obviously id still pay attention to the 3 powerlifts as strong is strong afterall

chris mason
09-11-2012, 11:49 PM
Hey all.
I've recently switched to conjugate training with good results.

I saw mark bells youtube video about WS for raw lifters and he said to go easy on the bands and chains.

At the moment I can't bench because of supraspinatus inflammation. Seeing a physio soon.

So far I've been doing

ME 1
Front squats

ME 2
Deadlifts

ME 3
Zercher squats

ME 4
Rack deadlifts.

Now if I have this right I need another couple of exercises. So I'm going to get a safety squat bar. But what other deadlift variation can I do that doesn't involve bands or chains? I have a trap bar but heard it's no good for the powerlifts.

The RE work I do are
Glute ham raise
Reverse hyper
Is there any more you can suggest?

Cheers guys, you can see my log here http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?154595-Patricky-s-Westside-shoulder-rehab-log

And BTW even though I have semi decent numbers I'm still at the intermediate stage.

Opinions?

Why do you think you need more than 4 exercises for your ME rotation? Why not a back squat in the rotation?

patricky
09-12-2012, 01:07 AM
Why do you think you need more than 4 exercises for your ME rotation? Why not a back squat in the rotation?

I always thought from what I read that you should have 6 exercises to rotate. I must have been wrong.
I don't back squat at the moment because they hurt my back. I'm fine with front and zercher squats but back squats with any kind of decent weight make my back ache. Maybe it's changed now since I've been progressing on the reverse hyper. Which is why I thought about SSB squats.

Meh, when I get some cash I'll get a SSB and a football and bandbell bar. I'm progressing awesomly so far on what I'm doing so I'll stick to the 4 exercises for now.

I'm really just squatting to increase my deadlift and strongman.