PDA

View Full Version : Why doesn't fruitmake you fat?

burr287
06-20-2002, 12:27 PM
Theres a science behind it. Your body does not use fructose to replenish glycogen stores in muscle, or something along that line. I have binged fruit all summer and not gained a pound, i may have lost actually. IF i bingedbagels i would have certainly put of the chub. ANy reasonign?

Reinier
06-20-2002, 12:53 PM
well cuz they dont have that many kcals

Silverback
06-20-2002, 12:54 PM
omg, thats because your probably eating below maintenance, i mean you could eat a quarter pounder every day from Mc D's and not get fat, if you remained below maintenance.

its simple if you dont use the cals your taking in then you will store the extra energy as fat. thats why bodybuilders go healthy to bulk and the additional cals are optimum for building muscle mass

ElPietro
06-20-2002, 12:55 PM
Fruit can make you fat, just like pretty much any other food out there.

Tryska
06-20-2002, 03:36 PM
actually your kinda right burr....a, fructose doesn't cause the insulin responst that say sucrose or glucose would. b, it preferentially refills liver glycogen.

also, fruit have a high water content and depending on what type of fruit your eating, a lot of fiber, so it's not gonna compare to bagels exactly. I think the whole fruti will make you fat thing is bollox personally.

Tiare
06-20-2002, 05:01 PM
1 large bagels w/cream cheese = about 500 calories
5 large apples = about 500 calories
Which do you think you could eat without vomiting?

binging on fruit is pretty hard to do. It's too much volume for your stomach to really handle a large quantity of calories and a great deal of the volume goes all the way to your large intestine as water is extracted. i.e. fruit is very filling.

Try binging on fruit juice and you'll see some weight gain I would guess since it's less filling.

Manveet
06-20-2002, 05:38 PM
I dunno, I can and have eaten 5 apples a day. I used to eat a bunch of fruit everyday last year and I didn't gain much at all. I agree with you Tiare about the fact that fruit is not the most calorie dense food out there.

Manveet
06-20-2002, 05:44 PM
Btw, doesn't this thread belong somewhere else?

Tryska
06-20-2002, 07:00 PM
good point.

body
06-21-2002, 02:04 AM
if you over eat you get fat. its that simple

i do not think fruitatarains over eat. unless avacodos are soley eaten.

there are sugar than fructose in fruit.

fruitatarain is a poor diet.

ElPietro
06-21-2002, 06:49 AM
I know ppl that buy juicers and wonder why they are gaining weight. It's all fattening at some point but eating 10 apples is different than grinding up 10 apples and drinking a couple cups to consume all of those cals.

Tiare
06-24-2002, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Manveet
I dunno, I can and have eaten 5 apples a day. I used to eat a bunch of fruit everyday last year and I didn't gain much at all. I agree with you Tiare about the fact that fruit is not the most calorie dense food out there.

I too have eaten 5 apples in A DAY but I've eaten a bagel with cream cheese in 10 MINUTES, lets see you eat 5 apples in 10 minutes (remember 5 apples = 1 large bagel w/cream cheese calorie wise)!