PDA

View Full Version : Deadlift/Squat Form Check

SmooshJohnson
09-10-2012, 03:20 PM
Just looking for some advice on my deadlift and squat..snapped some videos the other day of the each so I could watch and see what I was doing wrong, but decided to post them here for more experienced advice. Squats felt pretty good but the last two sets I felt like I wasn't even hitting parallel. Squats have typically been a tough lift for me to get the form down on..

I did 5x3x250lbs for squats (the vid is the last set of 3)
And touch and go deadlifts 345x3, 345x5, 345x3 (the vid is the last set)

Apologize for the lack of audio and quality..hopefully this will even be enough of a video to make a decent judgement on :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipjaPNSJYi8&feature=youtu.be

I have been lifting for about a year...training was really only starting to get to a decent point this summer.

Kiaran
09-10-2012, 03:57 PM
Squat actually looks really good dude! You are unlocking your hips before your knees and looks like you're keeping your chest up while you drive out of the hole. Nice work man! Depth is almost impossible to call on a video. Yours looks fine, don't even worry about it.

Deadlift could use a little work. The main thing I would tell you to change is to look up. You keep your eyes (and head) pasted straight down at the floor almost the entire lift (look at yourself at about 8 seconds in). Try picking a spot about 10 feet out right after you grab that bar and don't stop looking at it. This will get your head up and the shoulders will follow, etc. Do you always do sumo-stance? Have you tried conventional?

SmooshJohnson
09-10-2012, 04:24 PM
Squat actually looks really good dude! You are unlocking your hips before your knees and looks like you're keeping your chest up while you drive out of the hole. Nice work man! Depth is almost impossible to call on a video. Yours looks fine, don't even worry about it.

Deadlift could use a little work. The main thing I would tell you to change is to look up. You keep your eyes (and head) pasted straight down at the floor almost the entire lift (look at yourself at about 8 seconds in). Try picking a spot about 10 feet out right after you grab that bar and don't stop looking at it. This will get your head up and the shoulders will follow, etc. Do you always do sumo-stance? Have you tried conventional?

Cool, thanks a lot. Sounds like good advice! Yeah I did conventional for awhile, but I find that sumo is much more comfortable. I'm about 6' tall with a 6'3 wingspan and it just feels less..cramped I guess

RhodeHouse
09-11-2012, 09:05 AM
Squat - You need to get deeper. You might take your stance in a bit to help make it easier. You're not very tight under the bar. This will come as your back and abs get stronger. Try to keep your elbows a little more under the bar.

Deadlift - Get your head up.

SmooshJohnson
09-11-2012, 02:27 PM
Squat - You need to get deeper. You might take your stance in a bit to help make it easier. You're not very tight under the bar. This will come as your back and abs get stronger. Try to keep your elbows a little more under the bar.

Deadlift - Get your head up.

Will work on that. I feel like my deadlift is weakest off the floor. The first rep is always slow. I mean, I can pull 355x5 for touch and go pretty easy, but my max is like 370. My thought is that I'm doing too much touch and go work, and that I should do something like sets of 3, but reset after each rep. Anyone have thoughts on this?

Also, I took this today while I was squatting 250 on my second to last set. Is this considered parallel?

http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=30698&d=1347393227

And should I be aiming for parallel or below parallel? I squat slightly wider than shoulder width apart and high bar.

Thanks for all the help..very much appreciated.

Kiaran
09-11-2012, 04:16 PM
Close. Depends what PL Federation you ask. USAPL, no. That is still high. Crease of the hip must go below the knee. For training purposes and getting stronger in general, your depth is fine.

You will open up a can of worms asking the question "how deep should I squat?" In my opinion, squat as deep as you can, while staying comfortable, healthy and still making gains, while maintaining motivation to Squat. If this means you are touching your ass to the ground, great. If it means you squat above parallel, so be it. Just squat. If you are training for a PL meet, then worry more about your depth. Otherwise, don't be so concerned about 2 inches above or below parallel.

I have had success with training both above parallel and below parallel on a box. They both carried over into my competition depth squat. So I cycle both in my routine.

For deadlifts, I have had much more succes doing full reset between reps. Touch-n-go only got me so far. Full reset is much more taxing, IMO. Remember, DLs are a concentric-only movement. Set the weight down with authority between reps, but don't get sloppy. Best DL builders for me are Box Squats, GoodMornings, Lunges, Pullups, Bent Rows, and Core work. I actually only Deadlift about once every 3-6 weeks :)

SmooshJohnson
09-11-2012, 04:20 PM
Close. Depends what PL Federation you ask. USAPL, no. That is still high. Crease of the hip must go below the knee. For training purposes and getting stronger in general, your depth is fine.

You will open up a can of worms asking the question "how deep should I squat?" In my opinion, squat as deep as you can, while staying comfortable, healthy and still making gains, while maintaining motivation to Squat. If this means you are touching your ass to the ground, great. If it means you squat above parallel, so be it. Just squat. If you are training for a PL meet, then worry more about your depth. Otherwise, don't be so concerned about 2 inches above or below parallel.

I have had success with training both above parallel and below parallel on a box. They both carried over into my competition depth squat. So I cycle both in my routine.

For deadlifts, I have had much more succes doing full reset between reps. Touch-n-go only got me so far. Full reset is much more taxing, IMO. Remember, DLs are a concentric-only movement. Set the weight down with authority between reps, but don't get sloppy. Best DL builders for me are Box Squats, GoodMornings, Lunges, Pullups, Bent Rows, and Core work. I actually only Deadlift about once every 3-6 weeks :)

Awesome, thanks so much. I'm gonna work on getting the squat just a bit lower and resetting between every rep on the deadlifts. I'll have to kick the weight down, but I think it will definitly help in the long run. Thinking I might need more core/back work too. Thanks again!

Yosh86
09-11-2012, 06:17 PM
I agree with the above posts. Also in your sumo deadlift it looked like your arms were slightly bent. Your arms should hang straight down. Maybe it is just the camera angle or the result of your head hanging down though.

SmooshJohnson
09-12-2012, 12:57 PM
I agree with the above posts. Also in your sumo deadlift it looked like your arms were slightly bent. Your arms should hang straight down. Maybe it is just the camera angle or the result of your head hanging down though.

Yeah I think its the camera angle..I feel like I resolved that problem awhile ago but I will continue to make a concious effort on it! Thanks!

loganchristophe
09-13-2012, 06:56 AM
As I see, you should try getting lower and lower with your squat depth but overall is ok.

Deadlift ok, straighten the arms ( try the conventional )

RobmoriRB
09-13-2012, 07:04 AM
for your dead lifts sit back......for example watch Mark bell's crew do sumo dead lifts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNNmr7-gd-Q&feature=g-user-u

SmooshJohnson
09-13-2012, 04:53 PM
for your dead lifts sit back......for example watch Mark bell's crew do sumo dead lifts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNNmr7-gd-Q&feature=g-user-u

Good vid, I see what you mean. And hey, I've seen that guy before.. :p

SmooshJohnson
09-14-2012, 04:34 PM
Hey all, worked a lot today on keeping my head looking forward when I did deadlifts, as was suggested. How is my form looking now?

My arms are indeed straight. Its just the angle..but rest assured that I am not turning this into a shrug or something :p

I also focused on resetting each rep, instead of doing touch and go. I think my weakest point of the lift is right off the floor, so I wanted to get a lot of work in of pulling it without a bounce. I did

3x3x325

I am also going to start doing some deficit deadlifts to help with hamstring strength

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3yKlnJcubo&feature=youtu.be