PDA

View Full Version : Deadlift bar tension

DontTakeEmOff31
09-10-2012, 06:50 PM
Was hoping some of the big pullers could give me some advice on taking the tension out of the bar when deadlifting. I've watched some good pullers pull themselves down to the bar and take tension out of the bar (bend it) before beginning the pull.

How crucial is this technique to building a big pull? While my pull isn't that big (545) I feel like I'm getting to the point where I can take advantage of this technique, or maybe I'm just over thinking things. I pull conventional if that makes a difference.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

JK1
09-11-2012, 12:36 AM
What kind of a bar are you deadlifting with? Are you pulling in equipment?

If you are pulling with a good 7 foot power bar, it doesn't make that much of a difference. If you are pulling with an actual deadlift bar, like a Texas deadlift bar, if you don't pull the tension out of the bar and you jerk the bar up, it can start to whip and it'll shoot right out of your hands. I was at a meet this last where they had what I was told were Oakie deadlift bars. I don't know, but those bars had the most flex I've ever seen in a deadlift bar---we were farting around in the warmup room talking about deadlift technique and setup and I swear we got close to 11/2-2 inches of flex out of the one bar before it even came close to breaking. he lifters absolutely had to pull the tension out of the bar or the plates whipped so bad it was almost impossible to hold onto.

If you are pulling in equipment, you have to pull down to get into position to pull. You'll pull the tension out of the bar automatically doing that.

RhodeHouse
09-11-2012, 08:01 AM
Take the slack out of the bar and be tight before you pull.

theBarzeen
09-11-2012, 08:51 PM
I love how whippy the Okie bars are.... they'll flex an inch with just a plate. Over 700 and they get really fun.

I pull conventional too.... now, I'm not a deadlift expert by any stretch of the imagination, but for me:
I bend over and grab the bar, then crank my back tight and rock back to my heels. Holding tight and rocking back pulls the slack out of my arms and the bar and I start the movement off of the floor with quad drive.
The whole thing only takes a second tops from the point I grip the bar.

I think it definitely helps me pull more, but more importantly it gets the slack out of me arms before I pull... jerking the bar from the floor with bent arms just seems like a recipe for popping something.

DontTakeEmOff31
09-12-2012, 06:25 AM

Thanks, I will work more on this.

I love how whippy the Okie bars are.... they'll flex an inch with just a plate. Over 700 and they get really fun.

I pull conventional too.... now, I'm not a deadlift expert by any stretch of the imagination, but for me:
I bend over and grab the bar, then crank my back tight and rock back to my heels. Holding tight and rocking back pulls the slack out of my arms and the bar and I start the movement off of the floor with quad drive.
The whole thing only takes a second tops from the point I grip the bar.

I think it definitely helps me pull more, but more importantly it gets the slack out of me arms before I pull... jerking the bar from the floor with bent arms just seems like a recipe for popping something.

Now that I think about it I definitely start the pull without jerks, so maybe I am taking some slack out of the bar without realizing it. I'll have to video it to get a better look. I still think I can improve the start a little bit.

Alex.V
09-13-2012, 11:50 AM
All my over 700 pulls were just dip grip n rip- preloading just fatigued the hell out of my hips. I'm a sumo puller, though...

Justin Randal
09-13-2012, 08:32 PM
Yes! Pull yourself into position and take all the slack out of the bar. The bar should be under tension well before you've started your pull.