PDA

View Full Version : Which muscles are activated more with sumo style?

SmooshJohnson
09-13-2012, 06:26 PM
Finding conflicting answers online. Which muscles does the Sumo style of deadlifting put more emphasis on in comparison to a conventional deadlift?

navid123
09-13-2012, 08:32 PM
The wider your stance the more hips the movement is, although you still need a strong back.

SmooshJohnson
09-14-2012, 12:25 PM
More hips? Alright. Does it put more emphasis on the quads and less on the hamstrings?

Bruiser
09-14-2012, 12:27 PM
I've found that sumo hits quads and hips more where conventional hits hams and glutes more.

Alex.V
09-14-2012, 12:51 PM
This whole "hitting hips" thing needs to die- the prime movers of the "hip" ARE the gluteals, which are technically part of the posterior chain. The adductors are considered groin muscles, so really there are no large muscle groups in this area that aren't better labeled something else. You can't work your hips unless you're talking abductors. Be more specific.

Sumos WILL hit the adductors harder- conventional deadlifts hardly engage them at all. Conversely, the hamstrings are worked over a larger ROM in the conventional pull, as are the glutes. Quads engage under heavier load for a longer period of time in the sumo, but whether or not they're hit "harder" depends on your mechanics- how long your femur length is, how quickly your hips come up- really how much of a stiff legged your pull looks like.

SmooshJohnson
09-14-2012, 01:10 PM
This whole "hitting hips" thing needs to die- the prime movers of the "hip" ARE the gluteals, which are technically part of the posterior chain. The adductors are considered groin muscles, so really there are no large muscle groups in this area that aren't better labeled something else. You can't work your hips unless you're talking abductors. Be more specific.

Sumos WILL hit the adductors harder- conventional deadlifts hardly engage them at all. Conversely, the hamstrings are worked over a larger ROM in the conventional pull, as are the glutes. Quads engage under heavier load for a longer period of time in the sumo, but whether or not they're hit "harder" depends on your mechanics- how long your femur length is, how quickly your hips come up- really how much of a stiff legged your pull looks like.

Great info. I noticed the toughest part for me when deadlifting (I deadlift pretty much sumo style..maybe not a true sumo, but definitly wider than a conventional) is the first few inches off the floor. I think that the muscle used mainly at that point is the hamstring..so if I work on the hamstrings, it should help my strength off the floor, right?

Bruiser
09-14-2012, 01:13 PM
If getting it off the floor is your weak point in the DL, try doing some deficit deads.

navid123
09-14-2012, 04:35 PM
By hips I meant glutes.