PDA

View Full Version : Insomnia & melatonin

bkoman
09-16-2012, 12:52 PM
Hello, not sure if this is the right section so feel free to move if necessary.

I recently have started sleeping horribly (0-3) hours of sleep per night. Not entirely sure whats causing it. But it's giving me anxiety cause I'm so tired and in return I get even more anxiety because Im worried about the situation so it's kind of a vicious cycle. In any case, I don't have a doctor because recently my PCP has recently past away so I'm in transition of finding a new doctor.

After doing some research I've decided I might give melatonin a try. I'm just hesitant cause I don't really like sleep aids. They make me nervous for some reason. Has anyone here ever used melatonin? If so how many mg's did you take? Is it safe to cut the pills in half to take smaller doses?

Thank you for your time.

justiNCSU
09-16-2012, 01:02 PM
dude relax its just melatonin. Your not going to get addicted to it. I think the standard does is like 5mg. Its usually just one pill. And its worked fairly good for me. I dont fall asleep easily so i take it on work nights to help me get to sleep at a decent time.

J L S
09-16-2012, 01:07 PM
It's good stuff, you can get it in all types of doses. 2/3/5. Doesn't really matter, just don't take too much, my sisters get it prescribed so I'm always stealing it when I'm struggling to sleep or have a big training week/day coming up. Should knock you out a treat.

Holto
09-17-2012, 08:22 AM
I've taken 2-3mg and slept well but felt like I didn't every fully wake back up the next day. Yes you can cut them. Start low.

loganchristophe
09-18-2012, 04:59 AM
I would recommend you to start with plain old milk.

1L before bed...it does the job for me :)

RhodeHouse
09-18-2012, 08:41 AM
I wouldn't use melatonin. It gives me fucked up dreams. I would recommend L-Tryptophan, Valerian Root or magnesium.

BloodandThunder
09-18-2012, 10:06 AM
If it's not chronic, try chamomile for anxiety and get some lemon balm for your pillow.

Take Rhodes' advice for supplementation. I'm a chronic insomnia guy and he's on the money there.

Also, ensure you're developing good habits around sleeping. Try avoiding all stress late at night, try taking smaller naps during the day, ensure your nutrition is on target, watch your alcohol, caffiene, and tobacco use, and making your room as dark as possible for sleep. These tiny things go a long way to fight restlessness, anxiety, and sleeplessness.

Holto
09-18-2012, 12:00 PM
Also nearly everyone that has taken this has reported sleep quality going way up:

http://www.atlargenutrition.com/products/ets

Jonathan E
09-18-2012, 03:09 PM
+ 1 on the valerian root

bkoman
09-22-2012, 01:16 PM
Thank you for the input and suggestions everyone. I ultimately did end up taking melatonin and even bought myself some chamomile tea. It seems to be working pretty well. I went 3 days with only 6 hours of sleep total so it really wore me out and with full time school and work I decided to take all of last week off from lifting to allow myself to recover. I did manage to get 6-8 hours of sleep a night all last week though, and I am looking forward to starting up my routine again tomorrow.

Thanks again