PDA

View Full Version : Deadlifted in a garage gym .

navid123
09-17-2012, 10:16 PM
Is there really a need for a deadlift platform or could one just pull of the hard rubber flooring ?

loganchristophe
09-18-2012, 05:10 AM
When I trained at a friend's garage, the rubber flooring was enough. I pretty much say that it's enough

ScottYard
09-18-2012, 07:13 PM
We have a platform b/c our gym is below an apartment. We wouldnt have one if not for that.

JK1
09-19-2012, 01:11 AM
You can and will crack the floor in a garage if you just pull off concrete. I've also seen a 10 lb plate crack in half on just carpet over concrete and I've got 2 45 lb plates that are bent.

The plates are a huge issue that I think alot of us don't think about. The two plates I've got that are bent are about 30 years old. They are actually quality iron plates with no fillers. The newer plates that we can afford--the ones you typically see in garage gyms are often the ones made in China, often contain alot of filler material and impurities. I think those plates are less likely to crack or even break if they are used for deadlifts off of a platform vs on a harder surface like carpet over concrete or bare concrete.

A platform is cheap to build. You can make a very good one that will last a long time for the cost of 2 45 lb plates.

ehubbard
09-19-2012, 07:12 AM
I'd build a platform with two 3/4 inch thick plywood sheets that are 4' x 8'. Glue and screw and put the rubber matting on top of that. I used screws to attach the rubber matting but you could use glue as well or both.

Bruiser
09-19-2012, 07:47 AM
I train in my garage and just have a square of carpet under each end of the bar. Never had any issues.

Travis Bell
09-19-2012, 11:03 AM
I prefer a platform because over time it's really going to abuse the floor. We have a simple plywood platform and then rubber mats on top of it.

Kiaran
09-19-2012, 11:32 AM
+1 for plywood and rubber.

scalley
09-19-2012, 07:59 PM
Just rubber here. I've had the bar in roughly the same area for the past 4 years and haven't seen any extra wear. Plywood is a cheap insurance policy though I guess

Tom Mutaffis
09-19-2012, 09:19 PM
Is there really a need for a deadlift platform or could one just pull of the hard rubber flooring ?

You can just pick up a stall mat at Tractor supply and cut it into two pieces if you are looking for a simple and economical solution. If you want to be extra careful a sheet or two of plywood underneath will create an additional buffer (and you may want the plywood to stand on in-between the mats to keep the bar height standard.

Another option if cost is not a huge factor is to just purchase two stall mats, side by side they are 8' wide which gives you 6" on either side of the barbell if placed in the center. If you find them on sale you can usually get the mats for $30-35/each.

theBarzeen
09-26-2012, 12:24 PM
I'd worry about the plates and the floor..... 2 pieces of plywood are really cheap insurance.