PDA

View Full Version : carbs/ protein erm.. help !

Joe Black
05-09-2001, 04:38 AM
Something Beercan said the other day got me a thinking :)

He said if you are bulking on 350 grams of protein a day, what will you use when dieting?

My current ratios are as follows..

Protein : 360 grams
Carbs : 300 grams
Fat : 70 grams

Total calories :3270

I am intending to cut in Aug so figure I need to have lower protein so when I cut I can up proitein and lower carbs and fat..

Here is my revised numbers...

Protein : 200 grams : 800 calories

Carbs : 450 grams : 1800 calories

Fat 100 grams : 900 calories

3500 calories

The only thing I am worry abuot is the carbs.. I can feel bf going up on 300, so I am wary on upping to 450.. I know the lower protein will mean the calories ar epretty much the same but I am still worried..

Anyone have any ideas ?

YatesNightBlade
05-09-2001, 04:51 AM
What about doing some light cardio once or twice a week. I go for a walk every Saturday Morning ON AN EMPTY STOMACH (looks at cackrot). I also try and be more active at work. I go to the machine room as offten as possible (down three flights of stairs).

You can't force feed your muscle growth Dan. If you start getting fat ...... drop the carbs slightly ...... this means dropping calories too. Any excess protein will be excreeted as Urea anyway so don't worry too much about that.

Joe Black
05-09-2001, 09:17 AM
ok after speaking to Yates in the chat 200 grams of protein is a abig drop from 360....

So how about this...

Protein = 280 / 1120
Carbs = 350 / 1400
Fat = 100 / 900

3420 total calories.

The %'s of this are

P= 33%
C= 41%
F= 26%

Sound better ?

The_Chicken_Daddy
05-09-2001, 09:41 AM
Why are you dropping it down in the first place? Just cause you are dieting? Why not just stick to what you are eating now and when it comes to dieting keep your protein the same (maybe slightly higher) and just reduce carbs and fat.

gino
05-09-2001, 11:22 AM
Everyone has different philosophies. I don't raise protein while cutting at all, I just cut out some carbs and a little fat from my diet.

Of course I don't "bulk" like most people do either, by eating calorie dense foods. I simply eat A LOT of what I would normally eat to get my extra calories. It's harder to do, but it works well.

10 pks instant oatmeal, 5 chicken breasts, etc...

beercan
05-09-2001, 12:53 PM
That guy beercan is soooooo amazing...

:)

syntekz
05-09-2001, 02:57 PM
I've always read that when cutting down you should up your protein or keep it the same so that your muscles still have the protein to feed off of. This way they don't deminish so quickly.

YatesNightBlade
05-10-2001, 02:35 AM
Originally posted by beercan
That guy beercan is soooooo amazing...

:)

You Da Man ;)

It's not just about upping your protein. It's about not dropping your calories down too dramaticly. But like Gino said "Everyone is different." If you drop your carbs down ... your calories will drop ..... to help maintain as much muscle as possible protein is increase. High levels of protein in a diet also speed up the metabolism, in turn increasing fat buring. Alot of guys I know increase both Fat and Protein when dropping carbs. This allows the few carbs that are being taken in to do essential functions like muscle repair/recovery etc etc and fat being used as a source of fuel.

Budiak
05-12-2001, 02:21 AM
Well seems to me that the only way i'm able to drop fat is by high protein, moderate carb, low fat dieting. I'm bulking right now on high carb, moderate protein , low/mod fat. It is all body relative.

Cackerot69
05-12-2001, 09:12 AM
Hulk,

"Something Beercan said the other day got me a thinking"

Uh Oh.

"He said if you are bulking on 350 grams of protein a day, what will you use when dieting?"

Depends on your calorie level. Just becuase you eat 350g bulking, doesn't mean you can't eat 350g cutting. Protein, in general, should be your highest macronutrient when cutting, for example:

Calories - 2650
Protein - 350g
Carbs - 200g
Fat - 50g

Based on your bulking diet, that cutting diet will work very well for you.

"The only thing I am worry abuot is the carbs.. I can feel bf going up on 300, so I am wary on upping to 450.. I know the lower protein will mean the calories ar epretty much the same but I am still worried.."

It basically comes down to calories burned vs calories consumed, as i'm sure you know. Ratios can make a difference, a pretty substantial difference. More protein and less carbs is better than less protein more carbs, for keeping fat gain small.

Yates,

"What about doing some light cardio once or twice a week."

That would be a waste of energy, it would burn all of...maybe 300 cals.

"I go for a walk every Saturday Morning ON AN EMPTY STOMACH (looks at cackrot). I also try and be more active at work. I go to the machine room as offten as possible (down three flights of stairs)."

You know morning cardio is worse than cardio at other times, but you go ahead and keep doing, the anabolics sure help you out.

"You can't force feed your muscle growth Dan. If you start getting fat ...... drop the carbs slightly ...... this means dropping calories too. Any excess protein will be excreeted as Urea anyway so don't worry too much about that."

Bulking in itself is force feeding muscle growth. Any excess protein will not just be excreted as urea, excess protein is either

1. Turned to glucose, and used to saturate glycogen stores.

2. Turned to glucose, used for energy.

3. Used to build new mass. (muscle or fat).

4. Excreted.

"Why are you dropping it down in the first place? Just cause you are dieting? Why not just stick to what you are eating now and when it comes to dieting keep your protein the same (maybe slightly higher) and just reduce carbs and fat."

Exactly.

The_Chicken_Daddy
05-12-2001, 09:50 AM
Yes Cack, that's what I said, just condensed into 3 sentences.

Well done me!:D