PDA

View Full Version : Tips on gaining lean muscle???

LanceCriminal
09-28-2012, 08:14 AM
I am 20 years old, 5'9'' at 150lbs, and have never been able to gain weight. I want to put on some mass while keeping the six pack I've just always had. I just started lifting heavy with low reps 3 times a week and mainly stick to compound lifts. I also do cardio 2-3 times a week on the days I don't lift. I've been reading lots of different information about how important diet is when trying to gain muscle, and want to make sure I'm getting enough of what I need to grow. Here's an example of what eat on the days I lift. Any tips, things I should add or get rid of, substitutions, or anything would be really helpful, thanks!

Wake up at 3 AM (pre-workout): 1/2 cup of oats, 1 banana, 12oz of milk.
*Back to sleep until 4:30 AM)

5 AM to 6 AM workout
Post-workout/breakfast shake: 1 scoop of whey protein, 12oz of milk, 1/2 cup of oats, 1/4 cup of raisins, 1 single serving cup of peanut butter.

9 AM: 1/2 cup of brown rice, 4oz can of tuna, 1/4 cup of raw almonds.

12 PM: Small salad w/ fat free dressing, 3oz chicken breast, 1 banana, 2 pieces of wheat bread.

3 PM: 1/2 cup of brown rice, 4oz can of tuna, 1/4 cup of raw almonds

6 PM: Small salad w/ fat free dressing, 3oz chicken breast, 12oz of milk.

9 PM (before bed): 1 scoop of whey protein, 12oz of milk.

Equals out to around 3400-3500 calories with 47% carbs (412g), 27% protein (239g), and 26% fats (102g). Thanks for the help!!!!

Holto
09-28-2012, 11:54 AM
The two most important things to know:

1) what is your maintenance calorie intake
2) what is you daily caloric intake

At athlete that requires 3000 cals per day will gain weight on more than 3000 cals per day. An athlete that requires 3000 cals per day will lose weight on less than 3000 cals per day.

The next step for you is to determine your totals. Track cals for two weeks and then get back to us with the results. Ideally you would be the same weight at the end of two weeks.

LanceCriminal
09-30-2012, 12:19 AM
Whats the best equation for figuring out how much you need a day? I've been on various websites and have got different answers.

tom183
09-30-2012, 04:39 AM
Whats the best equation for figuring out how much you need a day?

Trial and error.

You could use a formula which takes into account height/weight then factor in activity level, TEF, NEAT etc but you're still going to come up with nothing more than an estimate.

I would simply weigh yourself, eat instinctively for a couple of weeks while tracking calories, then re-weigh. Calculate from there.

Holto
09-30-2012, 04:27 PM
Whats the best equation for figuring out how much you need a day?

This is the only way:
Track cals for two weeks and then get back to us with the results. Ideally you would be the same weight at the end of two weeks.

It can't be calculated, only observed.

RichMcGuire
10-01-2012, 07:53 PM
I am 20 years old, 5'9'' at 150lbs, and have never been able to gain weight. I want to put on some mass while keeping the six pack I've just always had.

My guess is you've always had a six pack because you've always been under weight. Gaining mass and keeping your six pack is essentially asking your body to do two different things so I think this will be pretty hard. You might find it easier to gain weight while accepting small amounts of fat gain you can worry about later.

Whats the best equation for figuring out how much you need a day? I've been on various websites and have got different answers.

You would have to figure out what your RMR is and then add on any energy expenditure. I like the cunningham formula.

500 + (22 x FFM in kg) = rmr

But any formula is a guideline. Thermic effect on feeding and other variables can skew things. Not to mention the fact that when you gain even a few lbs, the equation needs to be recalculated. Thats why I think its more hassle than its worth to try and figure out precise Calories. In my opinion, you should just eat like you normally do and then add a high Calorie shake in before you go to bed (700 - 1000 Calories). Or you can pick a random number like 3,200 Calories and not worry so much about your six pack. Focus on mass gains and see how your scale reflects the Calorie levels and adjust from there.

But in the end, I think your mind set is going to stop you from making appreciable gains.

LanceCriminal
10-08-2012, 10:52 PM
Thanks for all the help, I'll just stick with eating more than normal and see how I am in month and go from there

larsen540
10-09-2012, 07:54 AM
You need to look into Carb Backloading

smithjohnn
10-16-2012, 02:30 AM
Thanks for the above discussion as it helped me a lot to improve my physical health.