PDA

View Full Version : Bench press form: powerlifting vs bodybuilding

logo91
10-01-2012, 12:03 PM
I have been using the bb form (flare elbows some wut, wide grip, slight arch) and someone was telling we i could get my weight to go up using the PL form (elbows tucked in closer grip and bigger arch) so would this switch cause an increase in weights? And the way i understand is the PL form does not work the chest as much but does protect your shoulders... Any feed back would be appreciated

Bruiser
10-01-2012, 12:18 PM
PL form is all about technique. If you're planning on switching it up from BB to PL style, get some help from someone that knows what they're doing. It will help you make the switch easily and keep you from getting any injuries due to bad form. As a PL I like to switch up my form and do some BB style benching to help eliminate any weakness in my chest. Both are going to help you a lot with both goals. There are a lot of BBs turned PLs that still bench with flared elbows in competition and do just fine though. It's all really a matter of what's most comfortable for you.

J L S
10-01-2012, 02:40 PM
this has alot of info in.. give it a watch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QnwAoesJvQ

Cary Pond
10-01-2012, 07:08 PM
Thanks JLS !!!

logo91
10-03-2012, 12:26 PM
Yea its a good vid...nice post...but has anyone tried the PL form and had results...how long it took to get the form down and how much weight was added to the bench??

J L S
10-03-2012, 02:49 PM
it will take you years to get the form down, it doesnt just happen overnight, Follow the instructions in the video, work on those and train properly and your bench will rise. As for asking about results, the man in the video benched over 600lbs numerous times and pretty much every big bencher on the planet benches PL style. Its the accepted safest and most optimal way to bench

JK1
10-03-2012, 06:21 PM
Yea its a good vid...nice post...but has anyone tried the PL form and had results...how long it took to get the form down and how much weight was added to the bench??

I have seen guys in the gym come in and get tweaks on their form and add 20 lbs that day. Personally I think the "bb form" with the elbows at 90 degrees to the torso is a recipe to tear a pec, but thats my opinion.

The real deciding factor on how you are benching should be determined by how you are built. A person with a short, thick torso and short arms will benefit from arching more and shortening the stroke. A person with longer arms and a flatter torso, may end up benching without tucking so hard. Its an individual thing.

logo91
10-04-2012, 08:28 AM
I figured it would take years to get a great form....but i have noticed when i do close grip (hands on smooth part of bar) that my shoulders are kept much tighter and my elbows are tucked in i dont feel really any strain in my arm pit which bothers me when i go wide grip....and i seem to be more explosive

Darracq
10-04-2012, 08:42 AM
I have been using a narrow grip and really tucking my elbows, I got really sore in the area your talking about so i know its hitting it. I had to narrow my grip and tuck becasue my shoulders were about shot, i couldnt even bench without feeling like my shoulders were going to explode, to many years or flairing elbows. It will catch up to ya.

mastermonster
10-05-2012, 07:27 AM
It doesn't take most all that long to learn a PLcomp style of benching as long as they are committed to doing it. I've got a training partner/trainee who I've trained with for about 6 years who still can't/won't do it right. When I push him on it he start coming up with all sort of excuses/reasons that he can't do it that way. So now I just let him bench how he benches (still good but could be better) and he's happy.

I heard Scot Mendelson say once that competition setup benching is about 75% lats and 25% pecs, triceps and delts. I totally agree. The lats are much larger and stronger than the pecs. I don't even consider my BP a pec move. I do either DB BPs high reps and/or DB Flys to add pec size. I also keep my grip as wide as legally possible even in raw meets, but I have a very short ROM (about 4" or less raw) so that takes a lot of the stress off of my delts and pec tie-ins. When I used to bench BB style my ROM was about 15"; so it's pretty easy to see why I can bench a lot more Comp style...It's like a 4-5 board press used to be. Big benching is very much about learning how to apply physics as well as getting stronger. Good luck!

logo91
10-05-2012, 05:04 PM
master well put....4 inch ROM thats crazy....whats your best comp bench?

mastermonster
10-07-2012, 11:23 AM
master well put....4 inch ROM thats crazy....whats your best comp bench?

Thanks !

(All at over 50 Y.O.)

raw comp. 402 (APF Raw Am. Rec. 50-54 and 55-59) Full power

raw gym (strict) 425

1 ply comp. 600 (APF Am. Rec. 50-54 / WPC WR 50-54) Full power

1 ply gym 640

2 ply comp. 5 near misses with 700 to 726

2 ply gym 705 (5 occasions)

2 ply 2 board. 820 (but that's not much ROM! LOL!)

logo91
10-07-2012, 02:09 PM
i need to move down to alabama to train with u haha

mastermonster
10-09-2012, 09:33 PM
i need to move down to alabama to train with u haha

LOL! Give me a few months to recover from this cancer surgery and some lower back issues (getting injections soon) and come on down!

logo91
10-18-2012, 08:31 AM
how bout i give a year and a half till i graduate college then ill be down.....and good luck with your treatments and surgery

mastermonster
10-20-2012, 12:50 AM
how bout i give a year and a half till i graduate college then ill be down.....and good luck with your treatments and surgery

That sounds like a good plan! I got the injection in my spine yesterday and it feels amazingly better already! I'm doing well recovering from the surgery. I've been training light going on about 3 weeks now. Looking forward to trying the back out more in a few days!