PDA

View Full Version : [Pro Journal] - Adrian's Training log 600@220

larsen540
10-14-2012, 08:23 AM
How I got started benching
So I am going take ya back to when I started to bench. First off I had two horrible experinces growing up trying to workout. First one I was about 7 years old. I saw a video of Hulk Hogan and I thought man I want to be as big as him. So I thought it would be a good idea to get the two milk jugs in the fridge empty them out and fill them with water. Common sense to a 7 year old is milk weighs less than water. DUH!
So I filled them up went outside and started lifting them in all different angles. It wasnt long before my Mom looked out side and saw me lifting these realized what I had done and she may or may not have whooped my butt.

My second exposure came at about 10 years old. I was with my dad. He had a weight bench in the garage. I asked him if I could use it. He said, "No." Yea ok dad. As soon as he left and went inside the house I loaded the bar laid down and tried to bench. Well the bar came down to my chest and I couldnt move. I had to scream for help after several attempts at trying to move it. My dad ran out and lifted the bar off of me. I may or may not have gotten my butt whooped.

So here I am entering middle school two very bad experinces with lifting and I find out that I have to take a lifting class instead of P.E. I just had a surgery my last of 18 and I would be in a wheel chair for most of the year. Not only do I not want to lift but I dont want to be in a wheel chair. So first day in class I kind of just watched everyone and what they were doing. There was basically a Lat pull down, tricep pushdown rack, smith bench press, and a leg press machine with a dip bar behind it. The instructor was a fat bald know it all coach. A friend of mine dared to see how much I could bench. Of course I am not super bright I laid down and started to bench pretty close to my max with no warm up no work up sets. Just go heavy. I did way more than anyone else. I only did like 225lbs or something similar. Pretty good for a 12 year old.

The teacher pulled me aside after class and said I dont want to see you do anything like that again. You are not impressive and you will never bench more than me. (He only benched 315lbs on a smith machine for one.) Now back than that was impressive to me now it is not. The teacher went on to say that I need to follow the program and no worry about my max bench.....

Later that day I told my Mom what had happened. I told her I was mad that someone said I cant do something I know I can do. She told me the most valuable thing I needed to hear. PROVE HIM WRONG.

Through out the year I worked as hard as I could. I had no idea what I was doing but I worked my tail off. Towards the end of the year I was easily benching 225lbs for 10 and thought it was time to try 315lbs. I waited until the teacher was distracted loaded the smith machine and a buddy standing by and pressed it. Fuck ya I did it. The teacher came over becuase several students began to make a big deal about it. The teacher asked me did you do that. I said, "Yes." He asked me to do it again in disbelief. I cranked out another rep. Eat that you fat P.O.S is what I was thinking but didnt say. He said good job and walked away. I knew that I defeated him.

Going through 8th grade and starting high school I lifted all the time. And I love it. And to this day I think just before a big lift someone there at the gym doesnt think I can do this and that is what helps push me to get better.

larsen540
10-14-2012, 08:24 AM
Weight Cut
I was asked recently to do a write up on the program I am doing to cut from 277lbs to 220lbs in about 4 months. First off everything here is stuff that I played with to see how it fit for my life style and my body. I am not saying this will work for you and you should use this article as my experinces.

How it started- About a year ago I told some of my training partners that I would cut at some point to 220lbs. They were supportive at first however, as time went on and I stayed at 275lbs they lost hope. I always thought the strongest lifters were at 275 or above so that is where I need to be. I was wrong. I made the choice to finally make a run at 242lbs. I told peopl at the gym they laughed and said I will pay you money to get to 242lbs. If you know me at all I need people to think I cant do it. I love that shit. Previously I began to Carb Backload but I would back load everynight I didnt want fast results. But with so much doubt I changed it up and began to follow backloading as intended. ( Which if you havnt atleast read an article on backloading I suggest you do)

I made a quick drop from 277lbs to 260 in about 2 1/2 weeks mostly to cutting beer out and simply uping my water. One thing I have always enjoyed was a cold dark beer after training and then again on the weekend. Welll it wast helping so I cut it out. If you want somthing bad enough you will SACRIFACE.

So I am sitting at 260lbs with about 2 weeks before the comp I need to be 242lbs. Time to turn it up. I eventually worked down to about 253lbs and cut 11lbs in the sauna easily. Made it. All the guys that doubted me I did it. I choose at this point I would make another cut to 220lbs now. After weigh ins at 242 I ate and ate and ate some more. 24 hours later I was back to 260lbs and that is what I competed at. HAHA not fair for 242lbs weight class.

Cutting to 220lbs I had to really cut back on somethings. I usaully killed the food on training nights and the backloading program. But now I needed a little faster results I was 260 and had 7 weeks to mae 220lbs.

So I made sure my carb intake on training nights stayed up high but I was still eating good food. What is crazy is this was all done with zero cardio. I didnt do any.

A week out from the meet I was sitting at about 234lbs So the week of this is what I did to cut 14lbs.

The weekend prior I picked a day and all day I ate whatever whenever I wanted. I really was prob 240lbs after that weekend. Sunday night I started to up my water from 1 gallon per day to 3 gallons per day. Monday I cut out 80% of carbs and eat super clean. By Wednesday zero carbs and water was running through me about every 7 mins. Low to no sodium intake. Wed Night eat dinner a little earlier. I had one chicken breast dry with a dry salad. This was the last meal.

Thursday I drank 64oz of water by 9am and then stopped all water and zero food. By Thursday night I was sitting at 229lbs at 9pm. I hit the sauna with Chris Duffin we were both about the same. I had a great first session lasting about 35mins but after that 10 mins I was getting light headed. After the first session I was sitting at 226lbs. After a hand full of sessions I had to go get some sleep. I was sitting at 222lbs. At 7am I woke up and hit the steam room for one 15min session and called it good.

I drove to weigh ins at 9am and was at 99.9kilos 220lbs.

Here is a normal day of meals

5am - Coffee heavy cream and protien

11am- Turkey / Almonds or almond butter

1pm- Protien

2pm- Cottage cheese

4pm- Workout

7pm- Opticean post workout shake with BCAA's

7:30pm game on eat eat eat.

Im telling ya this was really simple and easy to follow. I will stay at 220lbs now until Ibench 600 raw.

larsen540
10-14-2012, 08:24 AM
In our gym we have posters up that people write stuff on. Including goals. The typical board shows a 20lbs increase in each lift as a goal. Then you come across mine. My goal is to bench 2768lbs. Probably never going to happen. But that is a goal. A few years ago I set a goal to bench 700lbs. After I reached that I sat back and asked whats next. Do I set a goal of 800? 900? No you set something that will keep you going for a long time. I didnt become complasent. But the fire to reach 700 was over.

We set goals for ourselves in just about every aspect in life. Anything from job, relationships, financial, kids education shit even how many fish you wanna catch on the weekend. Now if your reading this and your setting a goal to go to the gym 3 times this week. Probably stop reading go sit on the couch and watch re-runs of the Golden Girls. This is much more than just planning a time to workout. This is seperating your self from the rest to make you the best possible. To drive yourself to be the best. The next time you sit down and set goals for yourself I hope that you shoot for the moon. Go big. Go for an all-time record, go for what others would think is impossible. Do something no one else does.

Rock1984
10-15-2012, 06:04 AM
Good luck with this goal! Looking forward to see you nailing it!

larsen540
10-16-2012, 10:42 AM
Thx buddy

Justin Randal
10-16-2012, 10:43 AM
Good luck with this goal! Looking forward to see you nailing it!

No luck required..

larsen540
10-18-2012, 09:59 AM
No luck required..

Thanks Justin I appreciate it.

Justin Randal
10-20-2012, 01:19 AM
I'd say good luck tomorrow but luck is for the unprepared!!

Now go show em how we do it here at AtLarge tomorrow homie!!!!

larsen540
10-27-2012, 02:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=713PX0O4ITM&sns=em Today I went to fitness 101 in Lincoln city the owners Richard and his wife are two amazing people and they have a fantastic gym. Unfortunately they went out of town so I couldn't spend anytime with them but I did get a good back workout In.

Shrugs 3x30

Lat pulls 3x15

Bent over rows 120lbs 3x6

Pull-ups 2x15

Rear delt work 3x12

Grip work 3x30

Hammer curls 3x10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=713PX0O4ITM&sns=em

Now I took a vid of the rear delt exercise for Dorsey Reeves he had a question on what effective things he could do to get his rear delt some work. I weighed 224 lbs today I think 198 is a possibility and may take it on. I have taking this whole week off and getting back into the gym felt good not as strong as I wanted but a good Saturday morning session at the Oregon coast.

larsen540
10-29-2012, 10:07 AM
I have received a few questions lately that I wanted to address on my log.

First question is about alcohol consumption. Here is the deal with alcohol and training if you ask yourself how is this going to benefit me and you can't say anything good. Then don't do it. If staying up till 2 am drinkin is more important than hitting your next PR then your priorities are messed up. Always ask how does what I do help me get stronger.

Another question or more of a comment I wish I had your genetics. Let me make something very clear I didn't get to where I am from genetics I have worked my ass off everytime I set foot inside the gym. I monitor my sleep supplement intake food intake and try to dial everything in to maximize my results. It is silly to say you want someone's genetics.

Last one. How do you get to a mindset of never losing. This is a little more tricky mindset training is hard and takes alot of time getting I down. The best example I have is micheal Jordan losing to the pistons in 1990 and 91 after he lost to them In the playoffs mj started to cry and said these guys will never beat me again. And sure shit they never did. He had the mindset that every game he was going to win. This is the same In powerlifting. The most important thing is do not be one comfortable losing. Once you become comfortable getting second place you have lost the drive. You should get a feeling In your stomach when you lose that is what will help you fuel the fire in your training sessions.

larsen540
11-01-2012, 12:13 PM
Shoulder day

Front raises

Side raises

Standing over head dumbell presses

Shrugs

Rear delt work

Hammer curls

I am going to focus on shoulders for the next several weeks I have had a little bit shoulder pain these last two weeks. So I am goin to train them by themselves for a couple of months and see if that helps.

larsen540
11-01-2012, 12:15 PM
Triceps and a little bit of legs

Tricep pushdowns

JM presses

Tricep Hammers

Dips

Knee ext

Squats in leg machine

Everything felt great this was a very fast workout maybe took 50 mins need to get back on the CBL and get my diet back on point

larsen540
11-03-2012, 10:26 AM
Had to burn off some steam so went Into my work gym and hit some back

Seated rows

High pulls

Pull ups

Bent over rows

Hammer curls

Rear delt work

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=UXRqpjZQIvA

Good workout feel good still feel like diet is way off I need to really get back to CBL now. 4 weeks away from WCO and need to be hitting six Hundy

larsen540
11-07-2012, 10:24 AM
Bench heavy

I have had a very screwed up week ok a few weeks now.. I am working to much and I just have way to much on my plate. So today I got in to the gym for a quick workout inbetween working 16 hours..

Bench worked up to 2 sets of 10 at 405lbs no spotter

I should have done a few more reps but didnt want to take any chances.

Standing over head dumbell presses

Pull ups

Tricep Ext.

All in all a good workout took about 60 mins maybe a little less. But everything felt good once I got going

larsen540
11-12-2012, 08:57 AM
I went to Nelsons I refuse to call it by the name the new owner wants it to be called. It is Nelsons and it will always be. I used to train here infact when I first started powerlifting I drove 25mins to this gym 3 days a week to train with some of the best guys. Now back then there was no talking back you did what you were told you got the job done. I used to love this place. I went back to this gym 10 years later and they have a new owner and the guy is a jack ass. But I live 5 mins from this gym and needed to get a quick workout in.

While I was working out I got a little fired up I had some stuff I was taking care of in my personal life and then some of the idiots that were working out just got the fire burning. This happens a few times a year and I am glad it happened.

Last vent then I will get to workout but I saw this little mid 20's 120lbs girl come down to the dumbells. A guy laid down on a bench and started benching 20lbs dumbells not sure what he was doing now she laid down next to him with 25 lbs dumbells I am just throwing this out there if I was the guy I would jump off a bridge. Why would you do something like that. Oh man

Workout

I kind of hit a bunch of things I felt good so I tore it up

Incline bench
worked up to 405lbs for 4 sets of 10

Seated shoulder press
4plates each side 2 sets of 20 one set of 15

Front raises
worked up to 55lbs dumbells for 10

Lat pulls

face pulls

Shrugs

Hammer curls
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhBAbXrSjGg&feature=share&list=UUD6ggefEGZ3o5DS7cxLt7Pw

larsen540
11-12-2012, 09:07 AM
You can read every magizine, fourm, newsletter what ever to find a workout method. The freaking bottom line is do the work. Be smart. There is so much more to lifting than just reading a new method. I am so tired of people selling methods that they are making up. I appreciate the fact that they are trying to get there name out there. But really cmon you dont have some secret that you are selling that is going to make some one an elite lifter. The bottom line is if the lifter does what they should which is train, be consistant, eat right, ice, rest, dont over train, and just simply bust your butt you will be successful.

People listen save your money dont waste it on a method that will be free in a year. Or something someone is trying to sell you a secret. Look at the west side method there is no secret there. All the information is in a book or online. You dont need to purchase there secret and it is by far the best training method alive. Louie has done a great job publishing free articles and getting his method out there. Now if you want to go more in depth and be an expert, do you have to buy a book sure. That makes sense. Does it make sense that someone would say I have a secret method send me your credit card info and I will send it to you. Every lifter has hit a PR. The only fucking reason anyone has hit a PR is becuase they are in the gym training. Shit cmon. Fuck this pisses me off I am getting fired up writing this.

Do your research look on line look at training logs of elite lifters ask questions if you have to but the bottom line is you do not need to focus on a method or spending money or worry about what ever some idiot is saying. Get into the gym be consistant train hard leave everything you got in the gym rest eat right and things will fall into place.

larsen540
11-14-2012, 03:33 PM
Variable. What variables play a part in you're training. I look at what I was projected to hit this training cycle and I am way off so why. My best raw bench is 575 raw at 275lbs bodyweight and about 555lbs In the gym and 535 is my best comp bench at 220lbs. That is only 47lbs off the all time record. So why am I not happy with that. Here is why when I say down and laid out my program I projected to be closer to 585 by this time going into the west coast open. But lets break down the variables. Hopefully this helps other people by understanding there is alot more involved In training than just lifting every week. First off the biggest issue is personal problems I have gone through shit the last 7 months that has kinda out a tilt In my world.
How does that effect my training? Well I feel distracted at times and stressed out while I should be 100% focused. Another factor that plays a part from the stress is not following the carb back loading to a T. So that leaves the most important part of training your diet all jacked up.
Now another important part is sleep. Now I have been forced to work alot of overtime. So that means less sleep less free time. Which leads to a little more stress. Finally being consistant with my training has been really up and down.
When you put things In perspective and see I have cut 50 lbs of body fat and now I'm only 47 lbs from breaking a 30 year old all time raw record it seems like training hasn't been going all that bad. So the next time your training seems off a little look at the outside variables maybe that will shed some light on the question.

Brian C
11-15-2012, 12:10 PM
Adrian, I love your outlook and sound advice you put up in your log. Keep up the great work.

larsen540
11-15-2012, 06:14 PM
Thanks Brian I appreciate bro

larsen540
11-15-2012, 06:20 PM
Today I woke up early and when in hit some back and shoulder and my least favorite shoulder pre injury work.

Bent over rows 5x10

Face pulls 3x10

Kennellys 3x10

Pull ups 3x10

Shoulder press dumbbells 3x30

Side raises 3x30

Rock1984
11-16-2012, 01:54 AM
How do the "Kennellys" work?

larsen540
11-16-2012, 11:21 AM
Rock

I will post a vid how to do them great for shoulder mobility. I am sure there is a different name for them but that is what I call them

larsen540
11-16-2012, 11:23 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDiZFIOlN6w&list=UUhUtj3R4wP_0mKJfQTXPPiw&index=54&feature=plcp

larsen540
11-16-2012, 12:47 PM
Back in May I was rougly 277lbs. I kept at that weight for about 18 months. Before than I was sitting around 260lbs. Now I had mentioned one night at the gym that I was going to cut down to 242lbs sometime soon an everyone gave me shit. I have allready posted that story. I had been doing the CBL at that point but hadnt seen any changes. So I told everyone to kick a rock and I was going to prove em wrong. Well now I am sitting everyday at about 227lbs which makes an easy cut to 220lbs. I feel way better and I am still eating all the same things I ate before just at dfferent times. I have done zero cardio or anytype of training that would be considered cardio. I lift and lift heavy 3 to 4 days a week and that is it. Anyway here is the before and after CBL pic for from May to current.

Normal day of meals prior to CBL
5am
OPticean shake
Coffee
2 yogurts
2 packets of oatmeal

noon
string cheese
2 sandwiches
fruit

330pm
chips/crackers
Nitrean
snacky food

post training
Super high carb pasta/pizza
beer
opticean

Current meals on CBL
Coffee - heavy whipping cream and Nitrean coffee flavor

10am - Nitrean

noon - String cheese
cottage cheese
meat

pretraining
BCAA
Nitrean
Prework out drink

Post training
Opticean
And then whatever I want.

larsen540
11-21-2012, 07:45 AM
Worked up to heavy single which didnt go as well as I wanted little bit of pain in my left front delt.

135x30
225x20
315x10
405x8
465x5
This is where I made my mistake I made a big jump and tried to hold a long pause both hurt like hell
540x1 miss x2

Horrible session but training and supps have been a bit inconsistant for the last two weeks really longer than that but that the last couple of weeks it has been bad.

larsen540
11-24-2012, 09:56 AM
Tricep

I killed them tonight.

Everything was done high rep zero rest and got it all done in a bout 50 mins

JM presses x20x5

Kennellys x15x5

Hammers x10x5

One hand tricep ext X20x5

Overhead tricep ext with rope X20x5

Tricep extX20x5

Overheadtricep ext with dumbell X20x5

Pullups

Brian C
11-24-2012, 11:45 AM
Great explanation of how CBL worked for you. Nice to see how others apply it. Im a big fan of the program. I look forward to seeing 600 go up @220. Pretty damn sick lol

larsen540
11-29-2012, 09:19 AM
Great explanation of how CBL worked for you. Nice to see how others apply it. Im a big fan of the program. I look forward to seeing 600 go up @220. Pretty damn sick lol

Thanks Brian I hope this comin year it should happen bro. The CBL is an awesome approach to leaning out as a PL and I am going to try the Carb night now during a 10 day deload session. See how that helps Maybe I can do a comp at 198 next year.

larsen540
11-29-2012, 09:23 AM
Went to Olympic gym to train

Lat pulls 3x12

seated rows 3x10 very heavy

Seated shoulder press 3x30

front raises 2x10 1x15

Rear delt work 3x10

Pull ups 3x12

NOw I really hurt my shoulder I think that it is a mixture of seated presses and pull ups I am going to rest it up for a week or so and try Carb night durn this time.

larsen540
12-05-2012, 07:59 AM
Shoulder has been feeling much better but I decided to still take it easy on it.

Bench
worked up to 315lbs for 4 sets of 20 reps.
I really felt this the last couple sets it was a ton of volume that I wasnt used to.

Moved on to front raises started with 25lbs and moved up to 55lbs in 5lbs incurements after doing a set of 10 reps no rest. By the time I was finished my shoulders were on fire.

Seated shoulder press I went very light I wanted to feel out the shoulder it felt ok but out of the hole it hurt badly I stopped after one set of 30 and soaked in hot tub.

larsen540
12-05-2012, 09:31 PM
So last weekend Chris Duffin was injured in the WCO in Newport, Oregon. Chris was squatting on his third attempt and went flying from underneth the bar. At first I was really worried about Chris and the thoughts of him being out and the rehab process began running through my head. Worried I continued to watch the video and saw him finish the competition. He benched without leg drive after being carried out. And did less than a token deadlift basically on one foot.

A couple days later Chris posted a recap on his website. http://www.kabukiwarrior.com/
Now if you dont know Chris he is a man always on the go. Running into the gym and leaving twice as fast after a workout. He has a thousand projects always going and balances a family and professional life.

After reading this recap on his injury it all made sense to me. When Chris and I train together it is war. Every single time. He will tell me today is the day Adrian I am going to out bench you. And I would fire back today is the day I bench 300lbs more than you. Both of us joking, but that is our compeititve side. He once told me I couldnt cut weight to 242lbs. The only reason I cut the weight was to show him I could and he shouldnt doubt me. This last time I cut weight with him in his homemade suana I wanted to quit so many times. But everytime I looked at him and thought if I leave now he is going to call me a pussy and I cant have that. I eventually passed out on his kids play room floor. But the fact is we push each other to the max.

I want to thank Chris for not quitting that day. He could have and no one would have said anything other than thats the right move. Chris had to prove something to himself and in the mean time he has proven something to me. Shit does get hard. And when it does you will regret being a quitter. So never quit push your self. Dont stop until you reach your goal. I promise some time in my life I will read that story to my kids and they will appreciate it as much as I did.

I have watched the video now about 30 times. Chris thats why you have 31 views on youtube. Everytime I watch it I cringe. Everytime I watch him deadlift I think of Allison Mcweeny who deadlifts one legged every time. And how she has every reason in the world to give up powerlifting. But because of these people they have helped me realize that quitting is not going to be an option. EVER.

chris mason
12-05-2012, 09:37 PM
What did he do to himself?

larsen540
12-05-2012, 09:42 PM
What did he do to himself?

Partial tear of right adductor with no avulsion or rupture of the tendon!

courtneygould
12-05-2012, 09:42 PM
Great post A!!! Keep after it.. because I will be outbenching you soon! Chris - he had a partial tear to his adductor but no rupture, so no surgery.

Brian C
12-06-2012, 03:45 PM
Very cool post Adrian. Chris is truely a warrior.

larsen540
12-07-2012, 11:26 PM
Speed Benching

Now I dont always speed bench due to the fact that I am old as shit and I need to take more time to heal. However I am going to work some in due to the fact I will be hitting a little more volume over the next 6 weeks and not so much heavy. So I hit floor presses with light chains.

I completed 12 sets I did floor presses close grip I do 3 sets of 3 reps and that is one set so alot of volume here.

Moved to Incline benching dumbells 4 sets of 25 reps with 110lbs

LAt pulls

Seated Rows

Rear delt flys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPabljQlWDk&feature=share&list=UUD6ggefEGZ3o5DS7cxLt7Pw

larsen540
12-07-2012, 11:28 PM
Just wanted to feel productive today so I hit some tris.

Hammer Tris

Tri ext

Kennelys

JM presses

Overhead Tris

Pullups

OUT

larsen540
12-10-2012, 09:37 AM
GPP work

Rear delt work

Push prowler 4 rounds

Shoulder mobilty work

Superman on Oly rings (ab work)

Shrugs

larsen540
12-15-2012, 09:34 PM
Worked up to sets of 405lbs for reps to failure

first set 13
second 12

NOt really happy with this I was bet earlier that I couldnt do 20 and the whole drive to the gym I grinded my teeth and I was pumped didnt get the outcome I wanted tho.

MOved on to shoulder presses and front and rear delt work

HOTTUB

larsen540
12-15-2012, 09:36 PM
Took most of the week off to relax and just work

I choose pretty late in the evening to go hit some triceps.

I hit 5 different tricep movements high reps

Shrugs

Home

larsen540
12-24-2012, 04:17 PM
Well the holidays have screwed up my training schedule. However Scott contacted me and asked if I would max effort bench with him on Saturday so on to the gym I went. Now Scott is 9 feet tall and has a long reach however he hit a 25lbs PR today which is fantastic.

Now my shoulder has been bothering me for a couple weeks not a ton of pain but enough to feel it and know that it isnt getting better. I worked up to 405lbs and completed 6 sets of 10 reps or more. The idea was to see if the shoulder could stand that type of volume and it did and even started to feel better toward the end.

Moved on to Fat bar seated OHP 225lbs for paused 5 reps 3 sets

Floor presses
175lbs dumbells 3sets of 5

Shrugs on incline bench

Face pulls with bands.

this was a good workout and glad to be around alot of good people.

Now I am attempting to make it down to 198lbs from about 224lbs right now. So this week I tore it up I have eaten everything and anything. I will start up with a hard CBL program mid next week. I think that it will be easy to get down there but we will see.

larsen540
12-28-2012, 03:49 PM
Went in to blow off steam because throwing shit around in the gym is cheaper than doing that at home.

So eccentric DE benching it is I wanted to try something new due to shoulder pain. So I did dumbbell presses. Went about 7sec down and a fast press to lock out with 100lbs dumbbell.

10 sets of 5

Tricep pushdowns not sure how much weight but it was a lot
5sets of 10

JM presses

Hammers
Ohp with dumbells

Done

I am 28lbs over 198 right now after I consume beers on news years it will get locked up

Also I wil now do something everyday in the gym that I don't want to example good mornings that I did the other day and squats an the other bullshit. I'm doing this to prove a point.

Also I am working on a 2500 lbs total currently. 2400 of it Will be benching. Bitch

larsen540
01-02-2013, 10:04 PM
I went in and killed a max effort bench workout on Sunday night. This is the best workout I have had in a while. Now warming up I had a ton of pain in my left shoulder in fact when I got to 315lbs I almost called it a day it hurt so bad. I kept rolling it out inbetween sets and evatually it stopped hurting so bad.

Worked up to 2 sets of 475lbs for 5 reps. This is a little off my best I nailed 500 for almost 6 a couple months back. However I havnt gone over 405 since the middle of October and since the shoulder has hurt I really havnt put together to many good workouts. So I was happy with what I got.

I moved to dumbbell incline pressing worked up to 175lbs db's for 5 reps.

Next was Eccetric heavy DB floor presses. For 3 reps holy shit this is really hard. I tried the 175lbs DB's but I am not sure if I actually got 3 in.

Finished with Shrugs and dips. Now Shrug Life is really coming along. Jennifer Petrosino judged a shrug off and she gave me second place. I am not a fan of this so I will be sure to hit the shrugs. Jennifer is a new member of EliteFTS you can follow her articles here http://articles.elitefts.com/training-articles/women-training-and-misconceptions/ She is truly hard core and guys or girls can learn a thing or two from her. One of the most interestin things I have seen this New Year was a statement she put out. She said she didnt need New year goals. It doesnt matter what day or year it is her goal doesnt change just because it is a new year. This is very true. Alot of people think that since it is Jan 1st the clock starts over and you get a fresh start. This is incorrect. Your goals shouldnt be from Jan 1st to Dec 31st. Anyway check out her training log and articles she is a stud.

Rock1984
01-03-2013, 03:48 AM
Nice sessions you're putting in, Adrian!

larsen540
01-06-2013, 12:22 PM
Shoulders to look like boulders. New Year's Day workout. It's funny to go Into the gym and see people I have never seen before and In a month I won't see them again.*
I started with rack shoulder presses switching my grip narrow to wide. Shoulder still a little sore so I didn't go heavy. Did about 10 sets of 8 and 3 sets of 3*
Moved on to reverse grip bench. Trying something new did high volume 50 reps. Felt good.*
Hit some light 3 rep deads. With a little something I came up with.
Wrapped up with two back movements and a killer rear delt work.*
Than I went home and ate like crazy without any carbs since I am tryig to get done to 198. Carb nite until end of jan.*

larsen540
01-07-2013, 12:53 PM
Speed a little

Worked on some wide grip pressing worked up to 315lbs for a few sets.

Moved straight to triceps

JM Presses

Hammers

Tricep pushdown

Reverse Tricep pushdowns.

Flys

Hot tub
home

All in all good quick work out in and out. Feel strong.

larsen540
01-07-2013, 12:56 PM
I hate this shit. But the 198 isnt going to come on its own. Worked in several 30 sec sets everything was done for 3 or four sets

Standing shoulder press
Bands over the head
Rear delt with bands
Sled pull
Hit tire
Battle rope

Spent

larsen540
01-07-2013, 01:11 PM
So recently someone came up to me and said they were going to just give up on something. It isn’t important what it was. The important part is giving up... Why would anyone want to give up.. Here is why there is a chance that what you did, do or try isn’t going to work out. Awesome. Fuck it. Everyone has the potential to be good enough. However, it depends on yourself if you tell your self screw it I am going to try and I may fail but it will make me better.

I started my career 6 years ago for a place that you need to have a minimum physical standard. Now with the way I was born I have limitations. Flexibility in my lower body isn’t the best. I arrived to complete the obstacle course and the person running the course pulled me aside and said you will not pass this which means you will get fired. Now I just made a career change and things were scary for me at this point. I took a pay cut and now I am looking at being unemployed. I told this person trust me I can do anything anyone else can do. I can do this. I busted my ass and passed easily. Not only easily but I was in the middle of the pack for the time limit. Now if it was up to the jack ass that said I can’t pass. I wouldn’t have the job I have now. I would have went home and said I can’t do it. Screw that. I am not that person to say I can’t. I am going to try and if I fail I will try again. I will try until I am broken. Being not good enough isn’t an option. This person now knows that and trust me they will never speak those words again.

Step out of the comfort zone I promise it is a made up place in your head. Do something that is tough. Since this has happened I have done something in the gym I have never done before "Work on my Total." I have always been a bench only lifter. Not any more to show everyone that a comfort zone doesn’t exist I am training all three lifts. Which means there will be times I look stupid there will be smaller people lifting more than me. But I will work my ass off to show that I will try and I won’t stop trying.

Lastly, Raw means Raw stupid. Just saying. Alaskan airlines is only 20 mins away.

Bruiser
01-11-2013, 11:21 AM
Awesome post Adrian! This is the basis of how I live my life and what I tell my sons. I always tell them it wouldn't bother me one damn bit if they failed at EVERYTHING they did, because it meant they tried. I have a son with Autism and I see how he battles every day and will continue to so so for his entire life. Then I see people with everything going or them, like you were talking about, giving up or not even making an attempt. Wtf?! I just don't get it. But the more people that quit, the more room there is at the awards ceremony...

courtneygould
01-11-2013, 12:26 PM
Thanks for always having my back stud

larsen540
01-12-2013, 12:03 AM
Awesome post Adrian! This is the basis of how I live my life and what I tell my sons. I always tell them it wouldn't bother me one damn bit if they failed at EVERYTHING they did, because it meant they tried. I have a son with Autism and I see how he battles every day and will continue to so so for his entire life. Then I see people with everything going or them, like you were talking about, giving up or not even making an attempt. Wtf?! I just don't get it. But the more people that quit, the more room there is at the awards ceremony...

Yes keep it up man I love the fact you teach your children that I am in the same boat.

larsen540
01-12-2013, 12:09 AM
Still sore from my gpp work on Saturday I worked 12 hours and I was a little cranky by the time I made it in the gym.

Normal warmup
worked up to 405 with purple and orange bands. I did my math wrong on these. I was really dissapointed that I was barely hitting three. However it was around 530 or so. Still not exactly where I want to be but was able to get a couple of sets of two good looking reps and a shitty third.

Rear delt work with OLY rings and Dips just went back and fourth for 3 sets.

Standing OHP with kettle bells now this is tough shit man. I think I had the 56lbs not sure maybe 66 it really doesnt matter it was heavy finished up with 4 sets of 8 reps

Bent over rows 145lbs 3 sets of 8

Tired as shit

Moved on to eating as much sushi as I could. I know I am doing carb nite but I screwed it up a little.

larsen540
01-12-2013, 12:11 AM
Didnt really fee like doing anything other than sitting in the hot tub. But I got out there and hit some shit.

Front and side dumbell raises

OHP with barbell

Seated shoulder press

Shrugs

Incline rear delt movement along with incline front raises

larsen540
01-12-2013, 12:16 AM
SPeed work

I came up with this great idea on the way to the gym and after trying it I wish I would have ran my truck off a bridge before I got there.

Bench eccentric decline with a 2 second pause on chest 225lbs with 35lbs kettlebells hanging from blue bands.

Stupid this shit hurt so much I cant wait to do them again as long as I am just a spotter.

Close grip lock out for reps

JM presses

Flys

Shrugs

larsen540
01-12-2013, 12:29 AM
So recently I came up with the saying SHRUG LIFE now I know I am not the first person to say or use that term. However, I choose to make shirts that say shrug life on them. And people have really liked them and I have had a great turn out with the shirts.

So recently I had Marissa Inda send me some pics of her in the SL shirt. I have been posting her pic along with other people that have bought them on a varitey of websites.

So I post a thread on BB.com now I have had an acct with them for about 5 years or so. Every now an then I get angry with a troll and deactivate my acct for a month or a couple of years. HAHA. Now recently I reactivated my acct and I posted a thread advertsing the SL shirts. First idiot post a disrespectful comment to Marissa. Now if you dont know me that well one thing you will find out really fast is I am not one that will stand for disrespectful comments to woman. I hate the fact that people say things to woman and everytime I see it I make a comment back to the idiot that says it. So this idiot Brandon Graham who of course was hidding behind a moniker replies I will give you 15 bucks how many mins do I get with her and when I am done I will give you the shirt back.

Now I would usally really fire back here. But I held my self back and simply replied please have some respect. Now this idiot goes on to tell me a bunch of crap. Finally another member steps in posts a link to youtube stating hey this is Adrian Larsen maybe have a little respect he is a great bencher. This clown replies back he should bench more than me he is 30 lbs heavier and 4 inches shorter. And than goes on to make fun of the fact I do not squat or deadlift.

Well Brandon didnt know what he was getting into. I found him on FB and we had a great talk today. Lets just say it ended with a SORRY. Your damn right you should be sorry and you should be ashamed of yourself. Someday Brandon you wont be able to hide behind your keyboard and you might catch an ass whoopin when you pipe off with some smart ass comment. Hopefully he learned his lesson.

Bruiser
01-12-2013, 06:07 AM
So recently I came up with the saying SHRUG LIFE now I know I am not the first person to say or use that term. However, I choose to make shirts that say shrug life on them. And people have really liked them and I have had a great turn out with the shirts.

So recently I had Marissa Inda send me some pics of her in the SL shirt. I have been posting her pic along with other people that have bought them on a varitey of websites.

So I post a thread on BB.com now I have had an acct with them for about 5 years or so. Every now an then I get angry with a troll and deactivate my acct for a month or a couple of years. HAHA. Now recently I reactivated my acct and I posted a thread advertsing the SL shirts. First idiot post a disrespectful comment to Marissa. Now if you dont know me that well one thing you will find out really fast is I am not one that will stand for disrespectful comments to woman. I hate the fact that people say things to woman and everytime I see it I make a comment back to the idiot that says it. So this idiot Brandon Graham who of course was hidding behind a moniker replies I will give you 15 bucks how many mins do I get with her and when I am done I will give you the shirt back.

Now I would usally really fire back here. But I held my self back and simply replied please have some respect. Now this idiot goes on to tell me a bunch of crap. Finally another member steps in posts a link to youtube stating hey this is Adrian Larsen maybe have a little respect he is a great bencher. This clown replies back he should bench more than me he is 30 lbs heavier and 4 inches shorter. And than goes on to make fun of the fact I do not squat or deadlift.

Well Brandon didnt know what he was getting into. I found him on FB and we had a great talk today. Lets just say it ended with a SORRY. Your damn right you should be sorry and you should be ashamed of yourself. Someday Brandon you wont be able to hide behind your keyboard and you might catch an ass whoopin when you pipe off with some smart ass comment. Hopefully he learned his lesson.

When I saw your first post on FB about this, I just lost it! Way to throw it back at a disrespectful little troll. Way to stand up like that Adrian! Awesome!

Bruiser
01-12-2013, 06:09 AM
Yes keep it up man I love the fact you teach your children that I am in the same boat.

I don't know if you saw my post about when my six year old attempted the 1,200# DL with me or not. But long story short: he was sad it didn't move, I asked him how many guys were at the gym who were bigger than me and didn't event try, he said a lot of them, I told him he did more than all of them by trying, and he smiled for days... :)

larsen540
01-19-2013, 03:24 PM
I don't know if you saw my post about when my six year old attempted the 1,200# DL with me or not. But long story short: he was sad it didn't move, I asked him how many guys were at the gym who were bigger than me and didn't event try, he said a lot of them, I told him he did more than all of them by trying, and he smiled for days... :)

That is perfect man. Great story and that is the way to teach a child that will be something when they get older. Great job

larsen540
01-19-2013, 03:27 PM
Max bench
I worked up to 625 for a sloppy double with the ram. NOw I am ok with this. I didnt think I was going to get that heavy but I am glad I did. Weight felt great.

Moved on to some tricep movements and finished with some shoulders.

Great day of benching. Much better than the last few.

I have been expermienting a little with how many carbs to consume on my carb night the day before I train heavy and it seemed what I did this week was right on.

larsen540
01-19-2013, 03:29 PM
Dynamic effort benching

Eccentirc and with a isometric pause.

Worked up to 275lbs and completed 6 sets. I was pretty taxed after this.

Finished up with three tricep movements and a rear delt movement.

Everything felt good. Allthough I hate training at commercial gyms. I was able to get the job done.

Bruiser
01-19-2013, 06:38 PM
Nice work man. Solid benching this week. I couldn't imagine training in a commercial gym ever. I just walk out to my garage and go. It might be below 0 right now not counting wind chill, but I can deal with the cold a lot better than I can deal with assholes... Lol

larsen540
01-23-2013, 11:30 AM
Nice work man. Solid benching this week. I couldn't imagine training in a commercial gym ever. I just walk out to my garage and go. It might be below 0 right now not counting wind chill, but I can deal with the cold a lot better than I can deal with assholes... Lol

I know what you mean man

larsen540
01-23-2013, 11:32 AM
Squats

Man what a full day worked a little overtime and hit the gym to squat. Now if you dont know why I am squatting here is why. I am trying to prove a point that things are hard and you never give up or say your not good enough.

Used safety bar worked up to roughly 125lbs ish for 8 sets of 8

Knee extensions

Reverse hyper

Wide grip seated rows.

larsen540
01-23-2013, 11:35 AM
Max bench

Still using the ram this is the last week. Wanted to go heavy. Worked up to 605 for 2 655 for 1 and 675 for 1. Then dropped down to 500 for 10

Tates 100lbs

Lockout 625lbs for 3 sets of 8

Tricep pushdowns with bands

Shrugs 33 reps at 315lbs Only did this cuz some people were talking shit. So I proved em wrong. Yea you know who you are.

Rep out 100lbs dumbells for presses 37 reps

Bruiser
01-23-2013, 12:27 PM
Max bench

Still using the ram this is the last week. Wanted to go heavy. Worked up to 605 for 2 655 for 1 and 675 for 1. Then dropped down to 500 for 10

Tates 100lbs

Lockout 625lbs for 3 sets of 8

Tricep pushdowns with bands

Shrugs 33 reps at 315lbs Only did this cuz some people were talking shit. So I proved em wrong. Yea you know who you are.

Rep out 100lbs dumbells for presses 37 reps

You'd damn well better have been wearing your Shrug Life shirt! Lol

Brian C
01-23-2013, 02:20 PM
Impressive benching with the ram Adrian. Look forward to seeing 600@220 go up.
Also, very inspirational work with the squatting. Excellent stuff bro.

larsen540
02-01-2013, 11:11 AM
You'd damn well better have been wearing your Shrug Life shirt! Lol

HAHA I think at this point I was so pissed I wasnt wearing a shirt.

larsen540
02-01-2013, 11:12 AM
Impressive benching with the ram Adrian. Look forward to seeing 600@220 go up.
Also, very inspirational work with the squatting. Excellent stuff bro.

Thanks B I appreciate it alot man.

larsen540
02-01-2013, 11:14 AM
Max Bench but really just a bullshit workout

I went into the gym not in a good mood and I was going out of town the next day I had a ton of stuff to do.

I still managed to run in there I switched up my training a little this week and hit max reps with 315 I think I shot around 30 for 3 or four sets.

Front and side DB raises

Rear pec dec to hit rear delts.

Ran out of time so called it a day there

larsen540
02-01-2013, 11:17 AM
Now I am about to go out of town and I know I am going to eat way to much so this is in hopes not to screw with my back loading to much

Tricep pushdowns

DB hammers

Shrugs

Hammer curls

larsen540
02-01-2013, 11:18 AM
I hit up Fitness 101 in Lincoln City this is a great gym if you happen to swing down there check it out.

Back

Lat pulls

Seated rows

Bent over rows

Face pulls

Rack pulls

Shrugs

larsen540
02-01-2013, 11:27 AM
While I was out of town a guy approached me and asked how much you bench man. Now I always lie. Because you get accused of using steriods they dont believe you what ever. So I just keep it reasonable. Usally I say 350lbs. So this 165lbs man asked how much you bench. I say 350lbs. And he replies wow man yea I just hit 335lbs. HAHAHA yea right man. But instead I say great job.

He asked me dude what do you eat and do you train every day. He asked like I found some secret. I responded I eat everything I can get my hands on and I train about 3 days a week. Now I am getting a funny look from this guy. So I stopped the conversaton by breaking it down very easy for him.

There is no secret food, routine or program. The secret is being consistant with hard work. There is no formula with that except I want to get stronger and have goals in mind that drive my training.

Brian C
02-02-2013, 05:47 PM
^^this made me laugh. Funny

larsen540
02-03-2013, 11:02 AM
Bullshit squat and pull day. I hate this because I cannot do either well but I am holding up my end of the bargain.

I used a stupid machine to work on depth. High reps. Worked 5 sets of 25 to 30. Afterwards my quads were shaking.

Moved to just bar in squat rack and just attempting to get to depth. I failed but I am getting closer.

Rack pulls about 6 inches from ground. Not even going to discuss weight. But I did prob 12 sets of 4 to 8 reps and felt good. Low back got really tight at the end but all in all good easy day.

larsen540
02-04-2013, 04:28 PM
I am sitting here trying to stucture my training session for tonight and it hits me. How many training sessions have you let slip by. How many times did you not give it your all. Every session you let slip away you cannot have it back. Its GONE. Next thing you will know you could be looking back at a what if.

Dont let there be what if's Dont let time and sessions slip away. Reach for your goals and fight the living shit out of it until you reach them. And after you reach them get new goals and start over.

Justin Randal
02-04-2013, 05:09 PM
Well said sir!!

Bruiser
02-04-2013, 06:30 PM
I am sitting here trying to stucture my training session for tonight and it hits me. How many training sessions have you let slip by. How many times did you not give it your all. Every session you let slip away you cannot have it back. Its GONE. Next thing you will know you could be looking back at a what if.

Dont let there be what if's Dont let time and sessions slip away. Reach for your goals and fight the living shit out of it until you reach them. And after you reach them get new goals and start over.

Great point. That's what I love about this sport. There is no "end".

larsen540
02-17-2013, 08:28 AM
I am just going to summerize my training over the last two weeks. I had a couple ups and downs. First off I have really dicked up my back loading which I was on track to kill 198 for next week and now I will be sitting at prob 217 or so when I weigh in. I have a terrible problem right now staying on track with the backloading. All of it has to do with just not having me head into it. But that isnt an excuse I will step up my game.

So the UPA meet I will stay at 220lbs BW.

One of my best sessions came the other day benching I hurt my pec again a few weeks ago benching a little wider than normal. So I have been taking it easy as far as how heavy I heavy I have gone. But last monday things were feeling really good so I worked up to 545lbs raw. Seemed fast and no sticking points in the lift. I jumped to 565lbs for my next attempt. Here is the problem I think I should have taken a more conservative jump, and I am getting a shitty hand off from just who ever in the gym. So first attempt at 565lbs my right wrist wrap comes undone as soon as he lets go of the bar. The weight felt good so I lowered it to my chest. As I was coming down I focused alot on not rolling my wrist back an I think I lost all focus on pushing the bar up. Got it half way up and stalled. I tried this again and something happened that has never happened to me before. My left hand started to fall asleep as I was lowering the bar. Once the bar was on my chest I nearly couldnt feel anything in my left hand. So I told the spotter to take it.

All in all this was a good session but dissapointed I didnt nail 565

larsen540
02-20-2013, 07:58 AM
Last training session before UPA meet worked up to almost my opener I didnt feel that well but It is what it is.

I benched 525lbs it was really slow. Last week I hurt my pec again just a little so I may still be healing up from that.

Worked some rear delts, lats, and shrugs.

Then I ate a shit ton of sushi.

larsen540
02-26-2013, 08:30 AM
So I went to Larry Bush's meet knowing my last few sessions were not that great. I felt a little discomfort in my left pec in my last training session and I was just not up for competing. But I told Larry I would be there and truthfully Larry puts everything he can into his meets. If you dont know Larry his passion for PL is on a whole nother planet.

So I fast Friday to make weight. Which I did easily.

While warming up for the comp, I felt really good up until I got to 475lbs. It felt like 400 % of my max. I rolled my shoulder out and said screw it this is just for fun and that is it.

My Opener was 525lbs and I couldnt believe how light it felt. Infact it was so light as soon as I got up I looked at the plates because I thought it was miss loaded. Nope it was right.

Second attempt was 545lbs again I heard press and the bar just sailed to lockout. Weird. 545 is the best I have done in the gym in the last 6 weeks. This left shoulder and pec have really prevented me from hitting any true numbers in the gym.

3rd- 555lbs Not the best. I started my decent and hit to low on my chest I heard press and popped back but the bar stalled as soon as I got it about 3 inches off my chest. The back movement screwed me up. The side spotter took the bar. It was an accident and he apologized right after. No biggie I have a fourth attmept I will just do it again.

4th- Now I was so pissed I didnt get it flawlessly on my last try that as soon as the bar hit my chest I heard press and I freaking threw it up. I was pretty jacked about this. 555lbs at 219bw.

Morale of the story here. TRUST YOUR TRAINING. I was thinking about not even competing and I have a great lift. You must trust your training. That is what got you to where you are dont doubt yourself and push like hell when you hear press.

Raw Power
02-26-2013, 10:39 AM
It was very impressive Mr. Larsen!!!

James

larsen540
03-07-2013, 07:46 PM
Basically I need to address an area I feel is lacking in my gym. Very common I hear people say I am working up to my 85% for a number of reps. The reason I have problem with this is the percentages is a template to guide you. It does not dictate your workout.

For instance I will throw out percentages nearly every workout to give some one a guide to what type of workout it is. For instance today was a speed day for me. So I told my training partner that we were working on 50-60 percent. To me that makes it clear that we are not going heavy but we are going to work on speed. Now with this workout we did eccentric pressing.

Here is an interesting story. To save her humilation I will call her lifter X. Lifter X says I will need to squat 85% for 5 reps. I look over and she is calculating it on her phone. I screamed stop. But of course I was too late. She allready had the number in her head and that is all she had to do.

I look at percentages like my gas tank in my truck, I can give you a rough idea of how much gas I have in my truck. But I can not go to a gas station and say my meter reads 37% here is 31 dollars that is all your getting fill it up.

So Lifter X worked up to 200lbs which is more like 93 ish percent. First set of 5 looked horrible. I told her to speed up the lift. Next set was better but on the 5th rep it was slow. The light bulb clicked in my head she was capping her self. She is going to walk away from here not hitting her potential. Now I thought 200lbs was a good 5 rep 85% squat. Until I looked at her and told her what if I told you to do 10 reps. She began to squat and didnt stop until 10. Now mind you the 10th rep was as slow as the 5 th rep the set before.

I am not taking away from the concept of using percentages. But do not look at the number and make it set it stone. It is a guide or a template to get you in the ball park of where you should be.

In conclusion do not cap your self. Push your self every workout. There are enough variables that play a part in lifting than to add another and cap your self. Use it as a guide not a GPS.

larsen540
03-07-2013, 07:59 PM
I have had a couple of good workout since my competition. Saturday I kind of just screwed around and did a little deadlifting from the floor a little squating had a touch of hip pain so I stopped after my second set and moved over to a couple of machines where I can work on going to depth instead of working on balance.

Than burned out my triceps.

I lifted Monday was in a horrible mood, too many people were in the gym and it was taking way to long to get to my next set and I was just flat out pissed. I worked up to 455lbs straight weight and 130lbs band tension and nailed it for two. I took the weight down to 425 with same bands and nailed two sets of three reps. Felt great.

Moved on to Tates, timed tricep pushdowns, YTI's to failure, Pullups and a plank to failure.

Tuesday- Killed my back and rear delts. Shit I was sore

Thursday- Eccentric pressing with 275lbs for 3 reps and two reps regular. THis is alot harder than it sounds for sure. Front rasies with chains on incline bench, seated OHP lockouts, tricep work finished with shrugs.

larsen540
03-15-2013, 08:28 AM
Saturday- Knee ext - Hammy curls - Tricep circuit - Deadlifts I worked up to about 90lbs or so and did a ton of reps working on my form and speed. Shit sucks.

Monday- Heavy bench day worked up to 405lbs with orage bands (lots of tension) for sets of 3 good sets. Moved grip out illegal wide and repped 315 for 2 sets of 8 great acc movement for something new

Rolling triceps, Rear delts on oly rings and super mans to work the core.

Tuesday- Heavy Back this is making a huge difference in my benching for sure. If you are not doing enough back you are selling yourself short. Wide grip seated pulls, Lat pulls, bent over rows, Heavy seated shoulder press, Front raises

Wed- Shrugs

Thurs- De bench, Eccentric pressing with 2 regular presses after each set this is alot harder than it sounds, bent over rows again and hammer curls.

I am taking next three days off to rest i will do heavy bench on monday and most likely DELOAD the rest of the week I have been going hard for a while.

larsen540
03-15-2013, 08:30 AM
I have a video I want you to watch before I get started explaining why lats are so important to a big bench. Chris Duffin has a wealth of knowledge and made me complete this exercise to help show me how to keep my back tight while benching. Take a look and see if you can incorporate this into your routine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIa3A5vYgCc

So first lets talk about why using your lats while benching is important. Well first off it is going to take pressure off of your shoulders. See you dont want to be doing your max flat backed and shoulders flared out in a typicall bb style type press. This will put your shoulders at risk for injury.

Let the weight settle on your lats as you are squeezing them tight. A great way to remember to do this and a way that I always remember is trying to bend the bar. This reminds me to keep my lats tight.

One way to screw this up from the get go is to unrack the weights your self. Or in my case have a big ego and try to lift off the bar before the spotter is ready. This will start you off in a bad position. When you press up with your shoulders and clear the up rights it will be to hard to engage the lats in that position. So first do not and I repeat do not push the bar up and out off the rack. Let a spotter push the bar out to you.

So you have the bar in your hands back tight, your squeezing and bending the bar to engage your lats. After the bar has reached your chest your pushing the bar using leverage of the bench. Expolding the bar up pushing your self into the bench with your lats engaged. This will help with speed at the bottom of your lift. Keeping in mind that you dont want your back or shoulders to shrug up and make it impossible to keep lats engaged. Keep the bar out infront of you, and press through your lats.

Now your not going to be able to neglect your back and have huge lats for your bench. Make sure you put in the work with seated rows, bent over rows, pull ups ETC.

Brian C
03-15-2013, 05:10 PM
Nice write up Adrian

larsen540
03-18-2013, 08:41 AM
Thanks Brian

larsen540
03-18-2013, 08:43 AM
Last year around March I heard on Carb back loading. I did not pay much attention. Look there are so many secrets out there according to experts that will help you lose weight. Well what does it matter I am a Powerlifter I dont need to lose weight. Right? Wrong. A buddy of mine gave me the carb back loading book written by John Keifer. Now at this point in my training I was really strong and sitting at about 280-286lbs and it was an easy cut for me to drop to 275lbs when I wanted to compete. So I read the book and was so confused. I got the idea of it but it was against everything I have ever heard from any diet or nutrition plan out there.

In March I began to modify the back loading. Basically, I back loaded every night whether I trained or not. I didnt follow the fasting and low carb through out the day exactly as I should. However, I was eating whatever I wanted at night time and wasnt gaining weight at all.

Right around the end of May I was having a disscusion with a training partner and I made the comment that I may attempt to go 242lbs for a competition coming up in July. Someone in the gym over heard me and started laughing, you at 242lbs. This made me furious, how could you laugh that I want to drop to a lower weight class. Well the fact of the matter is I have been at 275lbs for almost 3 years now why am I going to change. I used that person laughing at me to prove that I would make a change.

Now a normal day at this point is as follows.
Wake up 5am - Coffee and non fat milk
530am - Opticean protein from At Large Nutrition. 30+carbs 50+ protein
615am - Two cups of yogurt and two string cheese
noon - Two sandwiches protein shake
3pm - Snack - Chips, pretzels, granola bar.
615pm - Huge dinner usally full of carbs
8pm- Pre bed time Nitrean protein from At Large Nutrition 25 grams of protein low carbs.

Looking back at this I screwed everything up 30 mins into being awake. Now entering into July I was sitting at 248ish lbs was holding my bench steady with the weight loss.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I had to sit in the sauna to dehydrate maybe for a 2lbs loss. Which typically for me I would lose 10 - 12 lbs through dehydration. The picture above shows me on the left roughly 280lbs and on the right roughly 220lbs.

So when I weighed in for the July meet I made weight easy and everyone is a little surprised. In fact, my good friend Chris Duffin didnt think it could be done. I made a statement at the time I thought I may have to take back. I said, "I will be 220lbs in September." Chris looked at me like I was an alien. Yea I havnt been 220lbs since my days in high school. The funny thing is I didnt have to put any effort into back loading. It is so easy. I am not trying to sell it to you. If you are not wanting to try it dont. I couldnt care less. I dont get anything out of people doing this or not. But it is by far the easist thing I have ever done. I did zero cardio, I lifted heavy shit all the time and eat everything I wanted at night. The only thing I had to change was fasting and low carb during the day. Which at first this was hard. But imagine all day that you can eat the best tasting foods in the evening if you just stay low carb all day. That motivated me to stay on point.

Cutting from 242lbs to 220lbs was so simple. It was faster and easier than cutting from 280lbs to 242lbs. I ate very clean, stayed hydrated with water and trained hard. Knowing that at this point in my life I choose to make a goal for myself to bench 600lbs raw at 220lbs. Now since the weight cut and maintaing is so easy I have since changed my goals to 198lbs and bench 600lbs. Now to think a year ago I would be talking about being 198lbs I would have said there is no way possible.

Day break down now-
5am - Wake up
515am- Coffee with heavy cream sometimes coconut milk.
8am - If I am getting a little hungry I will add some Nitrean + to my coffee
noon- Two string cheese and some deli meat.
2pm - Nitrean + protein
730pm - Opticean + and a whole lot of carbs
If I am not to full and hurting from the dinner I just ate I will have a Nitrean + shake before bed.

Now mind you I have changed few things for what works for me. And how my body has reacted toward some of the back loading tactics. Also keep in mind that I have made a huge mistake over the last week and have been adding some sugar free hazelnut powder to my coffee first thing in the morning. Now the problem with this is anything sweet you put in your mouth gym, splenda, sugar free hazelnut powder will spike your insulin. Your body tastes the sweet flavors and expects sugar to be entering your body, so your insulin spikes. Stay clear from these type of things during your fat buring time frame.
In conclusion, if you want a simple way to cut body fat and stay strong I would reccomend back loading. It is so simple and very effective. If you have questions or need help you can look at CBL website called Dangerously Hardcore. http://www.dangerouslyhardcore.com/
You can also order your Opticean Plus and Nitrean Plus along with other supplements at http://www.atlargenutrition.com/

larsen540
03-21-2013, 11:37 AM
I had one of the worst ME bench days of this year. I just got done doing 2 weeks of bands and now going to straight weight for 5 reps. I worked up to 500 got4 than did 4 sets of 3 trying to get over that hurdle but couldnt. Than I moved up to 515 got 3 than 545 and it stapled a bar into my chest. Wow I didnt feel strong at all.

Did some burn out sets of incline pressing with dumbells used 140lbs

Tuesday I hammered my side delts and rear delt. High reps.

I am taking the rest of the week off to rest up and hopefully see an improvement in my benching on Monday

larsen540
03-27-2013, 08:31 AM
Shitty workout on Monday. I didnt have my head in it I ended with 535 for a double and left pissed off.

larsen540
03-27-2013, 08:32 AM
Friday night I was not going to miss Garrett "Gunz" Griffin on Vegas Power Hour radio show. You can go back and listen to the show at talkradio.com/vegas-power-hour. Now a little back story on Garrett and how I got to know him. Garretts picture on left, has a bodybuilder look but the power of a powerlifter. The only person I have seen similar to Garrett is Stan Efferding. Now if your being compared to Stan in anything, you are in good company. So Garrett started Powerlifting in 2010. He entered a local competition and benched 440lbs at 189lbs bodyweight. Since than he has been hooked to Powerlifting competing in Bench only and Full power meets at both 198lbs and 220lbs. Recently Garrett benched 550lbs at 225lbs in the Animal cage as a guest lifter at the Arnold. Garrett is also sponsored by Animal. Which is an accomplishment by itself.

Ok so back to meeting Garrett, I competed at the Kings of the Bench last year and cut weight to 220lbs. Garrett was competing at the same weight class but he was alot lighter. He weighed in somewhere around 210lbs. I got in contact with Garrett and asked him while we were down there if we could get a bite to eat. Now Garrett was the man at 198lbs and 220lbs. My thought was pick his brain he has done Kings of the Bench before and look at him he is freaky strong. So after weigh ins we went and grabbed lunch. Any outsider looking in prob thought we have been friends for years. We laughed and bullshitted like we have known eachother for years. What I took away from that lunch was the amount of work Garrett puts his body through every day. He pushes the limit over and over. And look how successful he is.

On the radio show I called in and discussed competing against him again. Since I recently took the number one spot at 220lbs, he wants a chance to compete against me at 198lbs. Now this will push us both to train hard, and be the best we can be for the Kings of the Bench in July. This friendly compeition will motivate me to make sure I bring my A game. Not just in July but today in prep for July.

Later on Ryan Celli called in and said he wanted to be apart of this as well. Holy shit I am going to be competing against Ryan Celli and Garrett Griffin in a weight class I have not competed in for over 10 years. Wow time to get my shit together and get things dialed in.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

larsen540
03-27-2013, 08:33 AM
Recently, a buddy of mine posted something on facebook. Basically, it said the cards are stacked against me and I am thinking about taking a break from powerlifting. This statement took me back about 10 years.

See 10 years ago I quit. I quit because I was feeling sorry for myself. I didn't have a training partner, I wasn't training properly and I had zero progress. One day an old lifting friend came over to my house and talked with me about not being at the gym. He looked at me and said, "Man only if I had half the talent you do I wouldn't be wasting it sitting on your couch." He left and I felt like shit. Maybe he is right maybe I should get back in there. I did some soul searching that night. I had a fear. The fear was what if I don't do it? I know what will happen and what the end result will be if I do it but if I dont will always wonder.

Soon after I began to train again and I am glad I did. I know when I am all said and done with lifting I will have no regret and no what if's! One thing that comes to mind while thinking of this, is a statement made by a motivational speaker. He says Pain, it may last a minute, an hour, a day maybe even a year. But eventually it will subside. And something else will take its place. If you quit however, that will last a lifetime. There is nothing that describes quitting better than that statement. I promise some point in your life if you have quit something and you have regrets.

So I talk to my buddy. It is clear he has made up his mind and this is the end. I explained the above story. I talked to him about there is nothing in this world that you have to work at that will be easy. You have to work at it. You have to want it. You have to put in more than you will ever get out of it.

You need to find the thing inside that wont let you quit because quitting is the end. Before you quit, want what your doing as much as you want to breathe. There is a story that a man went to see a guru and told him he wanted to be the best. He wanted to be #1. The guru looked at the man and said meet me at the beach at 4am. The man looked puzzled but agreed. 4 am the next morning the man met the guru at the beach. The guru said follow me out into the water. The man followed and pretty soon the man was chest high in water. The guru said just a little futher, the man was confused he didn't know how this was going to make him the best. The guru grabbed the man and held his head under water. The man was fighting to get his head above the water. Just before the man passed out the guru pulled his head up above water. He calmly looked at the man and said when you want to suceed as much as you just wanted to breath, then you will be succesful. There is a lesson to be learned here. If you put everything into something you will get some thing back in return. Lastly, here is something I think about everytime I go into the gym. While I am driving and imaging my workout. I think I am going to try harder than I did last time, and I have two choices. I can have excuses or results. NOT BOTH...........

larsen540
04-18-2013, 09:59 AM
For this last month I have had a couple of good sessions. I have not had a ton of time as work schedule has changed a little and preparing for the bench for belle competition. Just have been balls to the wall. ANy way benching has been good. I have consistantly hitting over 530 for good doubles or singles. I feel like I have had a minor set back using bands a few weeks ago. I feel like it slowed my decent down a lot and I am trying to grind out weight more than I should be trying to throw it thru the roof. I had a good incline day benching 495lbs for a single. My weight is sitting right at 225-227 which I am happy with considering how much I love to back load. I have been focusing alot on my back as I feel that I have neglected it over the last 3 months. Hopfully that will be the staple to get my press over 600

big ragu
04-18-2013, 01:03 PM
Basically I need to address an area I feel is lacking in my gym. Very common I hear people say I am working up to my 85% for a number of reps. The reason I have problem with this is the percentages is a template to guide you. It does not dictate your workout.

For instance I will throw out percentages nearly every workout to give some one a guide to what type of workout it is. For instance today was a speed day for me. So I told my training partner that we were working on 50-60 percent. To me that makes it clear that we are not going heavy but we are going to work on speed. Now with this workout we did eccentric pressing.

Here is an interesting story. To save her humilation I will call her lifter X. Lifter X says I will need to squat 85% for 5 reps. I look over and she is calculating it on her phone. I screamed stop. But of course I was too late. She allready had the number in her head and that is all she had to do.

I look at percentages like my gas tank in my truck, I can give you a rough idea of how much gas I have in my truck. But I can not go to a gas station and say my meter reads 37% here is 31 dollars that is all your getting fill it up.

So Lifter X worked up to 200lbs which is more like 93 ish percent. First set of 5 looked horrible. I told her to speed up the lift. Next set was better but on the 5th rep it was slow. The light bulb clicked in my head she was capping her self. She is going to walk away from here not hitting her potential. Now I thought 200lbs was a good 5 rep 85% squat. Until I looked at her and told her what if I told you to do 10 reps. She began to squat and didnt stop until 10. Now mind you the 10th rep was as slow as the 5 th rep the set before.

I am not taking away from the concept of using percentages. But do not look at the number and make it set it stone. It is a guide or a template to get you in the ball park of where you should be.

In conclusion do not cap your self. Push your self every workout. There are enough variables that play a part in lifting than to add another and cap your self. Use it as a guide not a GPS.

Dude, this is exactly what I think has been going on with my workouts! I put a number in my head as to what I should get, and it seems like as soon as I get to that number it's impossible to get another rep!

larsen540
04-27-2013, 06:13 PM
Dude, this is exactly what I think has been going on with my workouts! I put a number in my head as to what I should get, and it seems like as soon as I get to that number it's impossible to get another rep!

Good I am glad you can relate now go kill the workouts and forget what your suppose to hit and just get stronger

larsen540
04-27-2013, 06:15 PM
So the bench for belle went really well we raised alot of money and had a great time. I missed 560 twice but was able to bench a motorcycle for a couple of reps with a young lady sitting on it. Very happy with that. Time to hit the gym and start training for 6hundy

larsen540
05-05-2013, 11:47 AM
Training this week went well worked up to 530 for a near triple and then used buffalo bar for a set of 405 for 7 paused reps. Everything went well. I ended up with food poisoning so I didnt train the rest of the week I should be all the way rested for this next week. ready for 600

larsen540
05-07-2013, 11:39 AM
What a session I prob walked into the gym with steam coming off of my head. Had a decent session. Worked on floor pressing and sled dragging. Always a big pain in the ass.

larsen540
05-19-2013, 09:15 AM
This week has been interesting. I started off pressing on monday with shitty spotters. But had set in my head I wanted to hit a heavy double and 530 was the goal. I worked up to 500 and it flew up. I made a big jump from 500 to 530 and cranked out a double. They were both sloppy but what I was working with I am happy with.

I moved the weight down to 475 cranked out 8 reps with a wider grip.

Moved to 315 moved out a little wider and did 18 paused reps.

Moved to 225 and knocked out like 48ish or so super wide grip fast presses.

Killed my tris with Tricep hammers, and JM presses and overhead EXT

Finished with Pec Dec and a little forearm work

Tuesday

Back day-- Hit seated rows, front pull downs, DB Rows, Good mornings
Shoulders-- Front side and rear delt work along with standing oH presses

Wed-- Very light speed bench I worked to 315lbs reverse grip benching for 12 reps fast presses
Tricep work with pushdowns, Skull crushers

larsen540
05-19-2013, 09:20 AM
What to do to prevent your elbows from flaring out while max effort benching. Most of the time when you begin to flare your elbows it is out of bad habit. You are trying to use less front shoulders and press more with your chest and triceps. You need to press with your shoulders and Lats. If you find yourself doing this it is common that you need to strengthen your shoulders. Primarily, your front delts. Simply doing front raises will help with this issue.

Keep in mind adjusting your form whether it be complicated or not so complicated your bench will suffer for a period of time. I remember when I adjusted many years ago to tucking my elbows I took a significant drop in weight. However, this is not a sprint this is a marathon. You need to make these type of improvements now to better you as a bencher.

Keeping your elbows tucked during your press will also make it easier for you to activate your Lats. Which is a very important part of the press.

While working on tucking your elbows, a great way to go heavy and still work on your form is using a Titan Ram. This wont auto correct your bench, however, it will help you feel heavier weight with proper technique.

Lastly, one thing I always follow is anytime I do any dumbbell work. Whether it be floor presses, incline presses, flat bench whatever I always turn my grip in. This forces your elbows to tuck and makes it so you continue working building strength with your elbows tucked. Here is a video of having my grip turned in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-myYy-RKnIA

courtneygould
05-19-2013, 10:22 AM
This week has been interesting. I started off pressing on monday with shitty spotters.

Really?!?!

Good job babe.

larsen540
05-28-2013, 12:56 PM
Allright so last night I was ready for a huge session. Been talking with Mark Bell and he has given me some ideas on how to train smarter.
I worked up to 530 and smoked it. Then my spotters choose to add 25lbs on the bar. I would have only went to 540 but they tricked me and put 555 on. I stalled near lockout. I think it was too big of a jump for me raw that close to my max. Dropped down to 405 and cranked out 12 reps.

Moved onto 200 db presses . I almost fell off the bench it was really scary. So I just did 2 sets of 3

Front delt raises

Wrapped up with some kennellys with bands.

courtneygould
05-29-2013, 02:03 PM
Allright so last night I was ready for a huge session. Been talking with Mark Bell and he has given me some ideas on how to train smarter.
I worked up to 530 and smoked it. Then my spotters choose to add 25lbs on the bar. I would have only went to 540 but they tricked me and put 555 on. I stalled near lockout. I think it was too big of a jump for me raw that close to my max. Dropped down to 405 and cranked out 12 reps.

Moved onto 200 db presses . I almost fell off the bench it was really scary. So I just did 2 sets of 3

Front delt raises

Wrapped up with some kennellys with bands.

Keep after it A. I think the training protocol that we talked about over dinner will help a lot.

larsen540
06-12-2013, 01:40 PM
I think so also C.....

Training lately has been a little rough I have been working long days and lots of overtime and cutting weight. Needless to say it has been difficult to have a fantastic workout. Last week was my semi light day and I worked up to 445lbs for sets of 3 very easy but only focus is form and saving the gas in the tank for the following week.

Now since this is my light week I do one day of back and misc shit and the rest of the week is nothing other than take it easy. I went to the gym feeling good on monday. I have choosen to no longer warm up the way I have been in the past. What the fuck is the reason of going 135 225 315 and then 405 before I even feel anything. If you want to lift heavy always lift heavy. I dont start tricep pushdowns with 30lbs and work my way up I go fucking big right from the get go. So I do some band work such as face pulls, rear delt work and light curls then move straingt to pushing some heavy shit. I started with 375 and only did triples. once I got to 500 I only did doubles. And then stayed at 515 for four sets of doubles all look good. I was able to adjust technique issues I was having and still got heavy weight in my hands. I then put on new sling shot eaisly pressed 575 and was a complete dumb ass and went up to 645lbs now I was a dumb ass cuz the side spotters were a couple of guys that are good guys they just didnt understand that I may have to grind it out. I got about half way up and the bar slowed down and the guy on the right side grabbed the bar. I am not sure if I would have gotten it or not but it was still moving and didnt feel like I was done but I called it after that and hammered rear delts with dumb bells and some tricep pushdowns both were done with high reps.

larsen540
06-13-2013, 08:39 AM
Vegas Power Hour is having a round table discussion on there radio show tomorrow night 6pm PST. Here is the question and my response.

Due to recent events, I thought the questions below would be a great way to start things off with the first, of many, VPH Round Table discussions. Let us know what you think. Every one of us has a “voice” in this sport we love so much and VPH’s intent is to create a platform for everyone’s voice to be heard, no matter what “level” athlete you are. ~Tony
Subject: Change
Questions: When setting an all-time record should we change things up? Should we start to incorporate the use of video to verify the lift? If not, should the sport demand require at least 2 international judges, since they are required for “regular” world records. Lastly I asked if the term, “well I got 2 white lights” is out dated.
*All responses from participants are their responses to me via email. They have been copied and pasted and are not altered.
Adrian Larsen
First off thanks for making me be a part of this. Something like this is always fun. I think that some of the records personally should not have passed. I am however not an internet judge haha. I think that some feds have slipped with their integrity a little. This is the fault of the lifters though for continuing to support those feds and competing with them. I think it would be to hard for lifters to pick meets that would have international judges present to predict an all-time attempt. However, judging does need to be more consistent. This crap of I am competing and two of my buddies are judges and it is put on by my buddy is getting old. The fact is there are too many inconsistencies with judging and the feds don't mind because they are trying to stay above water.
Having video judging would complicate things. The fact is we should have 3 competent judges that know what they are doing and the feds should be holding them accountable. Setting an All-time record is a huge deal and the lifters should want them to be legit as much as the feds do. But the fact is, it seems like a lot of short cuts are being taken lately. The 2 white lights is fine in my eyes. I think the judges are looking at different parts of the lift and one may miss something but it shouldn't be obvious that a lift is no good and they get a two to one light. So to sum it up yea things need to change. The feds need to change and the only way that will happen is when you have these small feds that do not do the sport any good is stop giving them your money. Simple as that.

Talon Wright
06-13-2013, 11:50 PM
Training is looking Solid whens the next meet? I agree too many feds but some are growing by leaps and bounds and proving to be legit like the USPA my last meet with them they capped out like a month before and still had 15 on a waiting list in MO!! . The way it is going there will only be a couple actually pulling in lifters.

larsen540
06-15-2013, 06:10 AM
Talon,

My next meet is next weekend I am going to just work on my numbers I am trying to get my opener a little closer to 555 range vs the 520 and 530 of my last two comps. So depending on how I feel we will make adjustments.

I agree some feds are making leap and bounds. But the fact is too many feds equal to many inconsisitancies and that leads to bogus records and false champions. USPA is a good fed Steve Denision has done a great job putting that together. He is the minority tho. Too many people branch out and try there own thing or become a state chairman and they allow interigty to fly out the window. Steve again has done a great job and I have zero complaints about the fed. If lifters stepped up and gave the feds, state chairman and presidents of the feds there feedback shit would get fixed really quick. But the truth is the state chairman are running meets for a little bit of money whether they say it or not. And prob the only time they hear from the lifters is to talk shit about why a lift wasnt passed. And I wouldnt want to hear that either. If people only supported feds that took time and pride into what they do things would be different. For instance I only buy Nike shoes. I have not wore a shoe that Nike hasnt made in over 15 years. Guess what I support them and I believe in there products. They have always done me right. In return I get a good product that is exactly what I pay for. My point is people have to stop running out and doing meets just to do them, do them because you believe the feds are doing what they can to keep a standard in lifting.

mike95763
06-19-2013, 09:14 AM
I'm making a cut from ~230 to compete at 198 in this years Olympia. I knew you had cut a lot of weight in the past so I took a look at your journal for some inspiration. You have an awesome journal. Aside from the insane weights you press, I love the extra thoughts and tips you throw in. Thanks for a great read and a lot of inspiration.

larsen540
06-20-2013, 03:53 PM
Thanks Mike I appreciate it bro

larsen540
06-24-2013, 04:26 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TidbIJk47VI&feature=share&list=UUD6ggefEGZ3o5DS7cxLt7Pw

Here is the video of my last competition. It went really well. I opened at 540 hit 561 on second and finished with 573 on my final all raw at 220lbs bw.

larsen540
06-24-2013, 05:33 PM
I recently competed in a bench press competition in Portland, Oregon. It was put on by Chris Duffin the Oregon State chairman for the APF.
I originally attempted to make a run at cutting weight to 198lbs. After failing miserably by depleting my carbs for to long. I realized I would have to compete at 220lbs. Which just made it for an easy time making weight. After I weighed in I ate like I would have if I had just cut 18 lbs. Which is almost harder than cutting weight.

I showed up at the competition a little late and as I arrived I was told that I have 20 mins or so before I would be lifting in a short 6 man flight. I got straight to warming up. By the time I made my way to 515lbs the bar was moving very slow and had no speed off of my chest. This worried me a little because my opener was 540lbs.

As I got ready to set up for my opener. Two people came up to me and said things to me that ment a lot. Courtney said to me there are people out there that don't think you can do this. And Chris Duffin said it is time to make this happen you need to get fired up. I laid down and got my hands in the right spot, looked up at the center lift off person and said, "Up." The left side spot picked up the bar and nearly made me fall off the bench. I quickly racked the bar and yelled, "Don't touch the fucking bar." Opps I was a little fired up. The comments made to me prior to going up there put my mind in a different spot. Very few times in training have I been in this spot. I didn't care how long the judge kept the bar on my chest it was going to fly up. 540lbs was a joke of an opener. It went up faster than I made 405lbs look in warm ups.

My second attempt was 561lbs. By this time I was in the zone. My thoughts were clear. I was doing a great job on visualizing the bar moving flawlessly up. And I was by myself in a back room. When I got up to the platform to lift. I was again focused. I laid down watched the bar decent to my chest. I heard a loud press command and pressed like a mother fucker. Easy.

My third attempt took me a while to determine what it was going to be. But at some point I figured screw it go big. I choose 573lbs.

I walked up to the platform and by the time I laid down I forgot how much it was. Or how close I was to reaching my goals. All I thought was press all the way through. I brought the bar down heard press and the bar went up without any sticking points. I stood up and lost it. I was so excited that I was that much closer to my goal. All the hard work in the gym is paying off and I am making progress.

There are a ton of people that deserve a thank you from me. First Courtney deserves a thank you for all the late nights at the gym, grumpy moods because I either had a bad training session or I was carb depleted. Chris Duffin for helping keep my mind right and giving me access to a great gym. Mark Bell for taking time out of his day to help someone just to help them. And all my training partners that hold me accountable for what I do and what I should be doing in the gym

courtneygould
06-26-2013, 03:13 PM
There are a ton of people that deserve a thank you from me. First Courtney deserves a thank you for all the late nights at the gym, grumpy moods because I either had a bad training session or I was carb depleted.

Now do you understand why I try to cook so well for you? I love you lots and I'm so very proud of you... that records is yours babe. All the nay-sayers and haters can choke on fat dick when it's your name on the all time list.

larsen540
07-19-2013, 08:23 AM
Now do you understand why I try to cook so well for you? I love you lots and I'm so very proud of you... that records is yours babe. All the nay-sayers and haters can choke on fat dick when it's your name on the all time list.

Thank you very much Court

larsen540
07-19-2013, 08:25 AM
Training has been going well since the meet. Other than my bw shooting up a little benching has been going good. I hit 3 sets at 500 for 5 reps which is a best for me. Along with seeing progress with front loading my workout. Tighting up the CBL and will be back to 220 in 4 weeks.

larsen540
08-04-2013, 12:01 PM
So the last couple of weeks have been going really well for me. I completed 3 sets of 500 for 5 which is a huge accomplishment for me. Along with doubling 545 two sets followed by 555 for doubles two sets. Front loading my workouts have helped a ton.

Basically I have not benched anything under 315 for 2 months now and I am seein a huge progress along with doing dead pin presses. That has helped my speed a ton. Tomorrow I plan to hit 565 or 570 for a double along with hitting 600 for a triple in the slinger. Hit up how much ya bench.net for a slinger.

Also If you have yet to try the pre work out mix by ALN your missing out. I have had some insane workouts due to that product alone. Try it.

larsen540
08-10-2013, 07:31 AM
Training has been very solid for me lately. Things are really falling into place. This was my last heavy day leading up to aug 24th competition.

Low to high pulls super set with rear delts. 4x12

Lat pulls super set with curls
4x12

Bench
315x2
405x2
455x2
495x2
545x2
560x2
600x3 with sling shot

Dead pin presses.
405x2x5 sets

100 push-ups

Battle rope 3 sets of 35 sec

larsen540
09-10-2013, 08:14 AM
Last week I doubled 545 raw benching for 4 sets. This week was my light week. I like to work up to a good working weight which I choose 500 and did a triple double an a single. I finished up with 545 for 5 reps with slinger.

Moved to dead pin presses off chest. 405 3 sets of 4

Kennellys

And bottoms up pressing

larsen540
10-04-2013, 10:54 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=519R1RRtkak&feature=share&list=UUD6ggefEGZ3o5DS7cxLt7Pw

larsen540
10-04-2013, 10:55 AM
Benching has been going really well for me as of late. I have been hitting all my goals. Last week I hit 585 for a double paused reps with slinger. Felt easy I have injured my back tho and it is taking a toll on my acc work. Hopefully it heals up soom.

larsen540
12-10-2013, 08:05 PM
Finally broke the all time raw record at 220lbs benching 585 this last weekend. Glad to have that behind me and now time to move onto the next chapter of my lifting.

larsen540
12-10-2013, 08:24 PM
http://youtu.be/bMirIkddBsY

Mark!
12-10-2013, 08:32 PM
Adrian, just did some reading up on your log and watching some videos, man you're a beast! Inspiring and completely awesome work brother.

larsen540
12-11-2013, 08:13 AM
Adrian, just did some reading up on your log and watching some videos, man you're a beast! Inspiring and completely awesome work brother.

Thanks bud

larsen540
12-15-2013, 02:55 PM
In power lifting, progress is measured in training. We look at the training we are doing and record our progress and down falls. This is a way to critique our training and what works and what doesn’t work. Over the years, several different implements have been used to increase strength. For instance, we have boards or foam boards to work on range of motion. We also use chains hanging off the bar. Another implement often used is bands. You can use straight weight and do eccentric pressing, or long pauses on the bottom. You can also purchase a sling shot and use that tool in training in a variety of ways. Over the last few years I have seen a trend of something that is a little bothersome. At times, people seem to have forgotten why these implements were invented. They were not invented or placed in your training to give you “PR’s” to blast on social media. These tools were developed to help you train to become stronger and better. Too often, I see folks trying to use the tools in a fashion to go as heavy as possible. For example, a reverse band bench with 700 lbs while wearing a slingshot doesn’t equate to a 650 raw bench. We need to go back to the basics of working as hard as we can in the gym and not using these tools to boost our egos. For some people this could be a huge slap in the face or you may disagree. But in order to get stronger you need to do things that will be difficult.Rethink your training. If you are using implements to aid your training, make sure they are not making your training easier. Use these tools to make your training harder. Not worrying about if you can post a PR on YouTube. For instance, let’s say you have a goal to bench 400lbs raw. I would use the sling shot in a variety of ways to help you get there. Not too post lifts of benching 500 with a sling shot, that doesn’t assist you as effectively. Here are some suggestions I would focus on to reach a raw bench goal. Every heavy bench day I would work with sets of 400lbs in a sling shot for reps. Maybe use the sling shot for eccentric pressing with 400lbs. Or use the sling shot to do a long pause on the chest with your desired weight. Remember, use these tools to strengthen your weak areas and make your strong areas stronger. These implements are out there to help you in training to reach your goals; not to write down a PR in a log book that doesn’t matter.

larsen540
12-22-2013, 04:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlFyWarqMHc&feature=share&list=UUD6ggefEGZ3o5DS7cxLt7Pw

larsen540
12-22-2013, 04:45 PM
Made up for a bench night. I was headed to gym and got into a car accident everyone is fine but messed up my training.
So I went in the next day to sit in the hot tub an instead I choose to bench. I used Db since I have not in a while worked up to 200 lbs for a set of 7 and a set of 10. Felt good
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlFyWarqMHc&feature=share&list=UUD6ggefEGZ3o5DS7cxLt7Pw

Mark!
12-22-2013, 07:54 PM
Glad everyone is ok Adrian. Good job getting some solid work in.

larsen540
12-29-2013, 09:11 AM
Quick back work

Lat pull super set with front pulls

Pull ups

Front / side raises

Rear delt work

Biceps

larsen540
01-03-2014, 09:14 AM
Back training

I didn't have a ton of time. But got in got out

Lat Pulls
Front pulls
Seated pulls

Rear delts with bands
Rear delts with DBs

Curls

Everything was high rep 3 sets of 15 or better. Everything felt good just really rushed.

larsen540
01-29-2014, 07:55 AM
Bench

This is my light week. I work to about 80%

Normal front loaded work

Bench
365x2
405x2
465x3
465x2
465x1
465x15 with slinger

100 push ups
Dead pin presses
Rear delts
Pull ups
Kennellys

larsen540
01-29-2014, 07:55 AM
Bench night heavy week

I worked up to 545 lbs for a double didnt feel very good so I stoped there. Little pain in my chest.

Incline front raises

Curls

Flies really light

larsen540
01-29-2014, 07:56 AM
This last week has been super crazy for me and the gym has been all over the place. I like to have a pretty set schedule and when shit interputs that it pisses me off. So I had an injury not a common injury and I wont go into detail. It basically felt like I got kicked in the nuts for about 6 days. It turned out to be a very easy fix. But it is hard to bring intensity to the gym when you feel like you sat on your nuts 37 times in 40 mins. I still managed to get a few sessions in. On a side note Courtney and I will be teaming up with Savage Strength owner Jerron Kerridge for a great free seminar at his gym. It will be Feb 22nd at 1 or 2 pm I believe. If you are in the area good seminar to be a part of.

GPP work with sled 10 trips all pulls

Indian clubs

Rear delt work with bands

Curls

larsen540
01-29-2014, 07:57 AM
Bench

Normal warm up

bench 365x2
405x2
495x2
545x2
545x1
545x1

Trying to work on speed coming down and what I realized is I can only go so fast because I do not put my feet on the ground. There is no force to redirect the weight. SO a slow decent is in my future for a long time I guess. Not a problem I will work with it.

Shrugs
Tricep work

larsen540
04-02-2014, 05:01 PM
Alpha Project is coming out soon. Look for the E book on how to simply your training.

Also like the FB page
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-ALPHA-Project/293696060787149

And please follow us on twitter
https://twitter.com/Alpha__Project