PDA

View Full Version : Stoped gaining on 5X5 Program now what?

C_apedaile
10-16-2012, 07:44 AM
I am a 44 year old beginner who has been following a 5x5 program since February and am now stalling. I train 3 days a week Mon and Wends 5X5 and Friday I generally train Strongman. Any help is appreciated.

B.S. 140 to 260
F.S. 120 to 160 traditonal grip 180 bodybuilder grip
B.P. 90 to 160 I have right shoulder injury from military not bad but flares up every now and then.
OHP- 60 to 120 strict press, have gotten 160 on log press with leg drive.
D.L. 220 to 320 still makeing some progress but only about 1lb to 5lbs every 2 weeks.

BloodandThunder
10-16-2012, 07:53 AM
Once you stall, reset the weights back a few weights and work up again. Keep working technique. You may want to shuffle around your workload and stick more strictly to the routine since it's foolproof.

After stalling a few times and milking the 5x5, you can move to a wide assortment of programs. A classic linear periodization, Texas Method, 5/3/1 (what I'd recommend for someone in your shoes), or if you can run it correctly, conjugate periodization/Westside. Read about them all, at your level, each one should benefit you.

Also, try to understand why you shoulder is flaring up. Don't let that linger and be proactive about it.

ScottYard
10-16-2012, 10:09 AM
531 works great for many. Give it a shot.

C_apedaile
10-16-2012, 02:32 PM
Thanks for the feed back. I was just reading through the HCT12 program and may give that a try. 5,3,1, would be my next choice. I have been training with a lot of volume Reg Parks 5X5 program is great but lots of volume takes 2hrs to work through so 5 to 6 exercises per workout is sounding pretty good right now. I did study up on the West side method and even started using it but only for several weeks because I thought I was too new to lifting. That system is used predominantly in the gym I work out at although a lot of guys are on the Juggernaut program right now.

Judas
10-18-2012, 03:03 AM
I'd be inclined to say that if the 5x5 program is not steadily progressing then you're not doing it right, or... you were and now it may need an adjustment. Done right programs like these can elicit gains for a long long time. My own 5x5/3x3 program is pretty much the only program i've used for the last 7 years... yes 7 years. No tricks, no fun stuff like so many other programs... just very basic boring work. In that time i have yet to hit a plateau that was not weight (mass) or injury-related.

Also, i'm not 100% read up on this program anymore... its been years since i first saw it, but if its anything like mine, and basically just bumps you up 5lbs (or so) a week with the same scheme, every week, then when the workouts start to get heavy you really have to stay consistent with them. Work, family, stress, sleep-disorders, or even other stimuli like random strongman stuff, can screw with your strength/energy/motivation levels, and easily make an easy session very very hard. If you have a lot ov ups and downs that mess with training then it might not be the best program for you.

My program for instance does not work for a lot ov people because life just gets in the way, and most people i know anyways, are just not that driven to train. For people like these something like conjugate can really shine, as doing something different every week wont put nearly as much expectation into your workouts, and has the added bonus ov just lots ov different, fun things to do instead ov the same boring exercises... over and over and over and over...

RhodeHouse
10-18-2012, 06:15 AM
5/3/1