PDA

View Full Version : Discovered new food

equinox10
06-24-2002, 09:36 PM
So this new health/weightlifting oriented restaurant recently opened close to my gym, so tonight I decided to give it a whirl. I ordered the "Super Protein Plate" which was a mix of chicken breast, bison steak, tomatoes and onions in some light sauce. Anyway, I just wanted to say that the bison meat was pretty damn good. I had never had it before, but I imagined it would taste very "gamey" and tough, especially after reading the nutrition facts, which were very very solid (tons of protein and very little fat). Anyway, just wanted to say that I was pleasantly surprised. It didn't taste quite as good as steak, but given the nutritional advantages, I'd say it was close enough to be considered a very worthy substitute.

Anybody else have good experiences with bison meat? They also have ostridge meat there, which will be my next experiment in a few days :) I have no idea what the nutritional facts on ostridge meat are though.

-Justin

Saint Patrick
06-24-2002, 10:02 PM
Bison meat is awesome. Much better for you than Beef.

Tryska
06-25-2002, 07:14 AM
i'm jealous tha you have a cool-ass restaurant like that near you. *pout*

Relentless
06-25-2002, 07:58 AM
Moose meat and venison are also excellent sources of lean protein.

Of course, it's probably cheaper to hunt it yourself; I think I paid $22/lb last time I bought venison from a specialty meat store.

Moose is best in burger format, BTW . . .

stantheman
06-25-2002, 08:22 AM
Bison, maybe that is why Indians were always such asskickers.:indian:

Madd Hatter
06-25-2002, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Tryska
i'm jealous tha you have a cool-ass restaurant like that near you. *pout*

Uhh, no ****. I'm pretty sure there's not a restaurant like that in my entire state. If there was, maybe I'd eat out once in a while.

TurboStu
06-25-2002, 07:42 PM
I'm with Callahan. Venison is very good for you, its very healthy, and high in protien. I hunt myself, so its about $80 to have an entire deer processed which yeilds about 150+ or - 30lbs of meat (if you shoot a nice sized deer). Or if you are skilled you can butcher it yourself, in which case its extremely cheap. Elk and caribu are also very good tasting, just to let you know.

equinox10
06-25-2002, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by TurboStu
I'm with Callahan. Venison is very good for you, its very healthy, and high in protien. I hunt myself, so its about $80 to have an entire deer processed which yeilds about 150+ or - 30lbs of meat (if you shoot a nice sized deer). Or if you are skilled you can butcher it yourself, in which case its extremely cheap. Elk and caribu are also very good tasting, just to let you know.

Have you ever tried ostridge? I think I'm going to go there tomorrow and order it to try it out.

-Justin

Budiak
06-25-2002, 09:55 PM
I shot an ostrich once, but the farmer kinda got pissed.

Tiare
06-26-2002, 12:13 AM
Ostrich depends on how they prepare it. I don't eat it out because if they over cook it...just hope they don't over cook it.

-Bison is great.
-Elk is great (wapiti)
-Moose is unbelievable
-Venison is great
-Antelope is great if it's been a wet year (dry years they taste like sage brush, probably because that's what they eat)
-Rabbit is iffy, sometimes I love it, sometimes I hate it
-Rattlesnake is too hard to get enough meat to make it worthwhile

Celestial
06-26-2002, 09:18 AM
Yeah had it in New York, its very low in saturated fat and higher in protein than beef, chicken etc, its really good too!

Toxx
07-01-2002, 07:47 PM
Location of this place please?

8)

thegeneral
07-01-2002, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by equinox10
So this new health/weightlifting oriented restaurant recently opened close to my gym

You lucky bastard!! :D What a great idea that is. I wish we had something like that around here. How are the prices?

equinox10
07-01-2002, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by Toxx
Location of this place please?

8)

I'm from Brooklyn, New York and the place is called Fuel.

-Justin

equinox10
07-01-2002, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by thegeneral

You lucky bastard!! :D What a great idea that is. I wish we had something like that around here. How are the prices?

The prices are very decent. The dinner plates are like 7 or 8 dollars and the wraps are like 5. Some stuff is more expensive than other stuff, but within this range. They have all types of sandwiches, wraps, shakes and stuff there, but I usually stick to the protein dinner plates and some of the wraps.

-Justin

Reinier
07-02-2002, 07:34 AM
*jealous as *****

stantheman
07-02-2002, 08:42 AM
7 or 8 dollars? A Big Mac extra value meal is 6 bucks downtown DC.

Tryska
07-02-2002, 09:16 AM
fuel in brooklyn, eh?

whereabouts in brooklyn?

OscarLip
07-02-2002, 09:38 AM
Guess I amgoing to have to take the train down to brooklyn.

equinox10
07-02-2002, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Tryska
fuel in brooklyn, eh?

whereabouts in brooklyn?

Well, there are two places actually.

The first is in Bay Ridge, and its on the corner of 71 street and 3rd Avenue. That's the one I usually go to because its sort of close to the gym I work out at.

For a change of scenery, I went to the other one one day. It's in Bensonhurst, on 18th Avenue between 86th street and Benson Avenue. Both places are pretty small, but oh so good. Hope that helps. The one in Bensonhurst is close to a train, I believe it's the W, but you'd have to check. The one in Bay Ridge is also close to a train, but I'm not sure which one anymore.

-Justin

Tryska
07-03-2002, 08:20 AM
cool...thanks bro!