PDA

View Full Version : Starting my first CKD today pls give advice

Saint Patrick
06-24-2002, 10:01 PM
Just as the post says, I was hoping to get some advice from people who have done a CKD before and gotten good results with it. Any guidance is appreciated. Thanks.

P.S. I plan on doing about an hour of cardio on my non-lifting days

The_Chicken_Daddy
06-25-2002, 04:49 AM
What do you want to know?

(BTW i haven't done one yet, but i know alot about them.)

Lucian
06-25-2002, 08:55 AM
high fat
low protien and carb

burr287
06-25-2002, 09:32 AM
Don't do it unless compelety necessary? How much do you want to lose?
I bulked duriing January-March,then in April and May i did a Ketosis diet. The diet is life-changing. It sucks energy out of you to the extent that getting out a chair is a task. DON'T DO IT! I regret it. I had school,work, gym time, and night classes with this diet and it nearly killed me. You need carbs to function. I don't, by any means, recommend crap like twinkies, hohos, and white bread, but fruit and oatmeal and an occasional yam with give you life and energy while keeping isulin low. But do not rule out carbs completely. Alteast keep it around 100g/day. THats low, but you'll have enough energy to get through a day. In my days when I had literally no carbs I was miserable and didn't talk and all i wanted to do was lay down. It consumed me.
But it did work. I lost 15-20 pounds in less than a month. It works miracles, but to me, the extent to which the rules recommend are too consuming.
My advice, do the diet, eliminating alot of carbs. Eat aroudn 80-100g carbs consisting of fruit and slow starches. eat high protien. Do not keep carbs under 40g/day. You're life will be compromised, I gaurantee it. These big asses who tell you to rule out carbs must not have a demanding job or family or errands to run b/c w/o carbs you simply cannot do all of that.

Saint Patrick
06-25-2002, 09:37 AM
.................ugh..............I'm on day 2 now, and I feel light headed and queasy.................If I have one more spoonful of flax I'm gonna hurl!!!

Saint Patrick
06-25-2002, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by burr287
I bulked duriing January-March,then in April and May i did a Ketosis diet. The diet is life-changing. It sucks energy out of you to the extent that getting out a chair is a task. DON'T DO IT! I regret it. I had school,work, gym time, and night classes with this diet and it nearly killed me. You need carbs to function. I don't, by any means, recommend crap like twinkies, hohos, and white bread, but fruit and oatmeal and an occasional yam with give you life and energy while keeping isulin low. But do not rule out carbs completely. Alteast keep it around 100g/day. THats low, but you'll have enough energy to get through a day. In my days when I had literally no carbs I was miserable and didn't talk and all i wanted to do was lay down. It consumed me.
But it did work. I lost 15-20 pounds in less than a month. It works miracles, but to me, the extent to which the rules recommend are too consuming.
My advice, do the diet, eliminating alot of carbs. Eat aroudn 80-100g carbs consisting of fruit and slow starches. eat high protien. Do not keep carbs under 40g/day. You're life will be compromised, I gaurantee it. These big asses who tell you to rule out carbs must not have a demanding job or family or errands to run b/c w/o carbs you simply cannot do all of that.

yeah I hear ya........

Celestial
06-25-2002, 10:14 AM
Today is day two for me and i feel fine. Checked my urine, no trace of glucose and small trace of ketones.

KoolMan
06-25-2002, 01:27 PM
I have been on this diet for about 2 weeks now... You are correct the first 2 days suck.. I was getting splitting head achs and felt tired all day long... I started to take some potasium on day 3 the headachs immediatly went away and I started to get energy back..

I have all kinds of energy now... (2 weeks later) ... I work full time, take out my 5 year old nephew and sord fight with him for a few hours, jumo arround the house etc... etc... etc.. work out and still have energy... so I guess I am one "These big asses who tell you to rule out carbs"

"These big asses who tell you to rule out carbs must not have a demanding job or family or errands to run b/c w/o carbs you simply cannot do all of that." --- Not true!

Celestial
06-25-2002, 01:55 PM
My tummy is jsut hurting from all the oils n fats thats all:(

Tiare
06-25-2002, 04:10 PM
You should probably avoid cardio on CKD because ketone cannot be used in anaerobic respiration which means your body must break something down to get glucose to fuel that process.

I didn't like CKD much myself. Thought there were better options for me. Why did you decide on CKD?

Saint Patrick
06-25-2002, 04:58 PM
I gave up. I couldn't concentrate at work or think straight at all. I had to run to the snack machine and grab a snickers bar.

The_Chicken_Daddy
06-26-2002, 03:57 AM
Originally posted by Tiare
You should probably avoid cardio on CKD because ketone cannot be used in anaerobic respiration which means your body must break something down to get glucose to fuel that process.

I didn't like CKD much myself. Thought there were better options for me. Why did you decide on CKD?

That's why you do longer duration aerobic exercise when in ketosis. :)

Shao-LiN
06-26-2002, 12:39 PM
That was quick.

WannaBeStrong
06-26-2002, 12:42 PM
These big asses who tell you to rule out carbs must not have a demanding job or family or errands to run b/c w/o carbs you simply cannot do all of that.

Hmmm. Just because you can't handle it doesn't mean everyone who likes them are big asses.

Oh yeah, in case you missed my point in the pre-moderator-ified post, I pretty much told you where you can go. Thanks.

Jane
06-27-2002, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by burr287

Please remember that this is your personal, individual experience. Everyone has a different body and will respond completely differently to such a plan. I, with the exception of my workouts, actually felt like I had MORE energy and rarely ever felt sleepy or tired. :)

Big Daddy
06-29-2002, 04:50 PM
I've been doing a keto diet for bout 2.5 weeks now. I'm still learning and adjusting it. I've never really felt weak until it came to workouts. But I'm learning you really can't afford to miss out on your fats.

I'm bout 200lbs at 6'3" and I've noticed if i get less than 100g of fat a day my workouts really suffer badly. Plus, I think most people take about 2-3 weeks, for their body to fully adjust to using ketones for energy.

Plus remember, the classic line, that the best diet is the one you can stick to. For me, I hate not being able to eat carbs, but this diet is easy cuz you know exactly what you can and can't eat and you're never hungry!