PDA

View Full Version : protein after cardio?????

Saint Patrick
06-25-2002, 11:40 AM
I always take a protein shake after lifting, but would it benefit me at all to have one after cardio??? Opinions pls.

Manveet
06-25-2002, 12:12 PM
It would benefit you if you took that protein shake with dextrose or maltodextrin.

millertime
06-25-2002, 12:13 PM
No need for a protien shake after cardio.

Saint Patrick
06-25-2002, 12:35 PM
ok that's 1 vote for yes, 1 vote for no. Anybody else?

Relentless
06-25-2002, 12:37 PM
Cardio puts your body in a catabolic state, no?

IMO, better to delay eating after cardio so your body can make use of this state (burning fat). This assumes you're doing cardio to lose BF and not simply for cardiovascular benefit.

I could be wrong, though.

Manveet
06-25-2002, 12:39 PM
Hmm, looks like Callahan's point makes sense, I was thinking you need to replenish your gylcogen stores after an intense cardio session.

Saint Patrick
06-25-2002, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Callahan
Cardio puts your body in a catabolic state, no?

IMO, better to delay eating after cardio so your body can make use of this state (burning fat). This assumes you're doing cardio to lose BF and not simply for cardiovascular benefit.

I could be wrong, though.
I'm doing it to lose BF, yes. I guess I'll just stick to eating like 90 mins after my cardio, like I have been.

iLUDEd
06-28-2002, 08:53 AM
stpatrick44, what do you eat before you do cardio? or are you going to be doing cardio on an empty stomic?
i was thinking of doing AM cardio to lose bf too, but having whey with water when i woke up.. this could b way off track, but its beta to state it and be corrected then to be doing it wrong without knowing.. any suggestions?

Shao-LiN
06-28-2002, 09:08 AM
Best to do cardio on an empty stomach.

WannaBeStrong
06-28-2002, 09:19 AM
I would eat after cardio. If you eat small amounts of simple carbs, it should all go to glycogen. Get some protein in there and I don't forsee any problem :)

ElPietro
06-28-2002, 09:24 AM
If you don't care about muscle loss than don't eat afterwards.

Saint Patrick
06-28-2002, 08:27 PM
well I can't really take a full meal with me to the gym, I keep some candy w/ dextrose in my gym bag.......would that be a good post cardio snack until I get home to eat dinner?

Clark
06-28-2002, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by SS-GOHAN
i was thinking of doing AM cardio to lose bf too, but having whey with water when i woke up.. this could b way off track, but its beta to state it and be corrected then to be doing it wrong without knowing.. any suggestions?

I definitely reccomend doing this. This is the way I do it, because otherwise you'd be in a super-catabolic environment. Think about it, no food while sleeping, then get up and run, with nothing in you. By the way, I've had very good results doing this.

Tiare
06-29-2002, 08:08 PM
I eat 45 minutes after cardio. fruit + cottage cheese or egg whites and fruit or whatever unless I can taste tin in my mouth, then I eat right away (taste of tin is a sign of catabolism).

LilVee003
06-29-2002, 09:57 PM
After Cardio you should have a complex starchy carb, rather than a sugar spike. Just enough carbs to lower cortisol. So rather than have punch, eat a baked sweet potato with some splenda and a protein source such as whey protein or lean chicken.