PDA

View Full Version : Lemme see if I got this cutting/bulking diet thing right...

geoffgarcia
06-26-2002, 10:43 AM
K, I'll admit I know little/nothing about diet, so if you guys could help steer me in the right direction.

So far I understand there are two major types of diet, cutting and bulking?

Both work well with 4-6 meals per day.

And the both go something like this?

Breakfast-high protein, medium carbs
Lunch-high protein, low carbs (low GI), low fat
Pre-workout-some carbs
Post-workout-high carbs (high GI), medium protein
Dinner-medium carbs(low GI), high protein
Late meal-high protein, no carbs, low fat

Around what % bf should one achieve while bulking? I assume the goal is to gain bf which is then more easily converted to muscle?

Finally, how long should one be on a "cutting" routine before going back to bulking? and how long on bulking?
Thanks for any help!

Me:
I'm 26, 5'10, 174 lbs around 9% bf

I've been avg. roughly 1940 calories per day, 180g protein, 190g carbs, 40g fat and I've been losing 1-2lbs per week. I'm going to try to get my caloric intake to around 2100 per day.

WannaBeStrong
06-26-2002, 10:48 AM
Around what % bf should one achieve while bulking? I assume the goal is to gain bf which is then more easily converted to muscle?

That's not my goal. If you hit 12% it's time for a cut. 10% is said to be the ideal BF for gaining muscle (can't remember where I read it though).

jc_az
06-26-2002, 01:42 PM
When your fat starts to overlap your hips it's time to think about a change.

Thats what the football coach tells me. He says let your hips determine how much fat to carry.

It seems like good advice to me, so thats what I use.

I spread my carbs. evenly during the day and eat some even before I go to sleep.

If you want to lose fat, just play with your carb. intake.

I changed mine from 150 g/day to 100g/day and I lost 3 pounds in two weeks and I'm eating more calories than I was two weeks ago by 550 per day.