PDA

View Full Version : The best post-workout meal



geoffgarcia
06-27-2002, 10:16 AM
From what I hear the post-workout meal/snac is critical.

I was wondering what people take and what they've tried.

I used to do the shake drink thing (myoplex) but I would like to make sure I'm taking something that will be perfect for me.

I'm 26, 5'10, 174 lbs, and interested in increasing lean muscle mass.

I read some article in mens fitness that said you should have 1g protein per 5lbs of bodyfat AND 6g of carbs for each g of protien, after a workout.

That would put me at 35g protein and 210g of carbs, does that sound about right?

Do you peeps advise on the premixed rinks or is it better to mix your own?

Thanks for any/all help!

YatesNightBlade
06-27-2002, 10:50 AM
75g of a simple carb like dextrose\glucose is perfect.
Protein around 35 - 45g in the form of Whey is also perfect.

stantheman
06-27-2002, 11:12 AM
You have 175 pounds of body fat? Damn.

MRJ
06-27-2002, 11:19 AM
The most common guideline I've heard/read is 2g carbs. (simple) for every 1g of protein post w/o.

I use juice or a replenishment beverage to the tune of 16 oz. with 30g whey protein and call it good.

I follow that with a meal consisting of protein (chicken, beef or pork) and a large salad (lettuce, tomato, celery, sweet pepper & carrot) for the carb. component.

I then have another meal immediately prior to sleep.

WannaBeStrong
06-27-2002, 11:46 AM
milk milk milk milk milk milk milk.

finaplixoid
06-27-2002, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by YatesNightBlade
75g of a simple carb like dextrose\glucose is perfect.
Protein around 35 - 45g in the form of Whey is also perfect.

BINGO

geoffgarcia
06-27-2002, 12:12 PM
ok, which would you pick
1) 35g whey + a banana(about 53g carbs)+10g dextrose+10gmaltodextrin

2) 35g whey + 30g dextrose + 30g malotdextrin?

3)pack of myoplex deluxe shake= 42g protein, 25g carbs,2g fat, 300 calories.


Where could I buy dextrose, and maltodextrin online? I have no health stores around me.
Also I assume all Whey protein is the same? Any you recommend?

Qea
06-27-2002, 10:38 PM
I'd pick #2, merely out of sheer simplicity

#1 is good too, but too much hassle (I'm lazy). Besides, my digestive system is sensitive after a workout, I'd rather down a liquid than chew

#3 doesn't have enough carbs for post-wo, assuming you're trying to bulk

I get my malto and dex from supplementdirect.com.

MrMuscle
06-28-2002, 02:07 AM
60g of Kellog Oat bran
40g of protein powder
5dl skim milk

YatesNightBlade
06-28-2002, 03:30 AM
#2

You don't want fibre post workout and you certainly don't want Milk.

MrMuscle
06-28-2002, 04:17 AM
i want both milk AND fiber post workout.

YatesNightBlade
06-28-2002, 05:10 AM
You go for it dude.:rolleyes:

geoffgarcia
06-28-2002, 08:33 AM
why don't you want fiber post workout? and why not milk??

As an aside, I've noticed I've had some rediculous gas lately. What causes this? (i'm assuming its from my high protein diet?)

the doc
06-28-2002, 09:08 AM
a lot of times its the fillers they put in protein powder to add flavour and thickness that cause gas

Post workout I take 50g whey isolate and 100-200 g of carbs from white rice

tony touch
06-28-2002, 11:37 AM
first get your protein shake and sugars in.

1 hrour later, eat lots of chicken and pasta and tons of h20

Qea
06-28-2002, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by geoffgarcia
why don't you want fiber post workout? and why not milk??

As an aside, I've noticed I've had some rediculous gas lately. What causes this? (i'm assuming its from my high protein diet?)

makes digestion rate slower. you want nutrients going rite thru your digestive system and into your bloodstream asap after a workout.

and yeah, most MRP's have fillers and fibre in 'em that would slow this down

Holto
06-28-2002, 02:25 PM
milk is 80% casein which to my knowledge is the slowest digesting protein makeing it the WORST form of protein post workout

also fruit or fruit juice is not good

fructose replenishes hepatic glycogen instead of muscle glycogen leading to undernourished muscles and fat conversion in the liver

Vido
06-28-2002, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by MRJ
The most common guideline I've heard/read is 2g carbs. (simple) for every 1g of protein post w/o.

I use juice or a replenishment beverage to the tune of 16 oz. with 30g whey protein and call it good.

I follow that with a meal consisting of protein (chicken, beef or pork) and a large salad (lettuce, tomato, celery, sweet pepper & carrot) for the carb. component.

I then have another meal immediately prior to sleep.

A salad is not going to give you very many carbs. The carbs and calories in vegetables are negligible in a bodybuilding diet.