PDA

View Full Version : Where do you get your dextrose or maltodextrin?

Cue-Ball
06-27-2002, 12:42 PM
It seems like most people here have a post-workout meal of protein and dextrose or maltodextrin. I'm just wondering what you guys use (ie: what brand/product). Right now i have an Ultra Fuel immediately following my workout (400calories, all carbs) and then a meal about .5-1 hour afterwards when i get to work (usually a 3 egg omlette - yolks and whites - with vegetables and cheese). I'm considering replacing the Ultra Fuel with a protein/dextrose shake and want to know what my options are.

I'll still keep the omlette in my diet, but will only be having the shakes on workout days.

Thanks!

the_hall
06-27-2002, 12:46 PM
i couldn't find pure malto or dextrose either, i guess you have to buy it online. ultra fuel has fructose in it, as does nlarge so i dont think they are as effective as pure malto, i am unsure how much fructose they contain, im sure alot more than we would like to believe.

Blood&Iron
06-27-2002, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by the_hall
i couldn't find pure malto or dextrose either, i guess you have to buy it online. ultra fuel has fructose in it, as does nlarge so i dont think they are as effective as pure malto, i am unsure how much fructose they contain, im sure alot more than we would like to believe.
Unless, you're cutting the fructose is actually a good thing; it helps to put one in the 'fed' state which is necessary for optimal anabolism. Even if you are dieting, it's probably not enough to be an issue. I've seen Lyle McDonald say Ultra Fuel probably has 10g fructose per 100g serving. I would tend to believe it's quite a bit more than this as maltodextrin isn't a sugar, and Ultra Fuel contain 29g sugar per 100g. Since it's just fructose, maltodextrin and some vitamins, by deduction one can conclude there is 29g of fructose. But there must be something I'm missing, because otherwise Lyle would have said this himself.

You should be able to find pure dextrose at any store that sells wine making supplies. It's labeled as corn sugar and is like $1-2 per lb. I've still never put the effort into trying this option, though pretty soon I'm gonna take a look around, since it's so much cheaper than any other source.

gettinjackT
06-27-2002, 01:16 PM
Prolab CarbPro is pure malto, my supplement store carries this, I think most do.....2.2 pound container(1000 gm) is about $10......

Blood&Iron
06-27-2002, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by gettinjackT
Prolab CarbPro is pure malto, my supplement store carries this, I think most do.....2.2 pound container(1000 gm) is about $10......
4lbs of Ultra Fuel is only like $14 so that's not a very good deal IMO.

geoffgarcia
06-27-2002, 01:24 PM
Here is a link to carbo pro:
http://www10.netrition.com/carb_pro_page.html

Cue-Ball
06-27-2002, 01:26 PM
I actually REALLY like Ultra Fuel. The grape flavor tastes awesome and since it's not thick it goes down real easy. The problem is, since it's fruit flavored you can't really mix chocolate whey in there. I guess vanilla flavored whey might mix in and still taste okay....

Basically, i'm trying to find a way to squeeze some protein into my post-workout drink instead of having JUST the Ultra Fuel and then getting protein 40 minutes later.

Blood&Iron
06-27-2002, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Cue-Ball
I actually REALLY like Ultra Fuel. The grape flavor tastes awesome and since it's not thick it goes down real easy. The problem is, since it's fruit flavored you can't really mix chocolate whey in there. I guess vanilla flavored whey might mix in and still taste okay....

Basically, i'm trying to find a way to squeeze some protein into my post-workout drink instead of having JUST the Ultra Fuel and then getting protein 40 minutes later.
Why not have two separate shakes? Sometimes I do this. Mix the protein with a very small quantity of liquid--like 3-4oz--so that it's not too much to drink. Drink that. Then mix up the Ultra Fuel.

Cue-Ball
06-27-2002, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by geoffgarcia
Here is a link to carbo pro:
http://www10.netrition.com/carb_pro_page.html

I get all my stuff from Netrition. They can be a little slow sometimes, but i get lots of use out of the free shaker bottles. :D

Comparison of Carb Pro to Ultra Fuel:
Carb Pro Ultra Fuel
servings per container 17.6 14
total carbs/serving 55 98
price $11.95 $13.95
total carbs/container 968 1372
price/gram of carbs .01235 .01016

So, it looks like Carb Pro is slightly more expensive, though the difference is pretty insignificant. The advantage is that the servings are much smaller (1/2 scoop vs. 4 scoops of Ultra Fuel) and it has no fructose (not a concern now, but may be when i start cutting).

My only questions are: What does Carb Pro taste like? And: Is it flavored at all?

If it's not flavored, it would seem to be the better choice. That way i can just add one scoop to my whey protein shake and i'll be getting 110g of carbs and 44g protein (both numbers would be higher using milk). I'd say that plenty of carbs and protein even for a hard gainer like me.

Cue-Ball
06-27-2002, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Blood&Iron

Why not have two separate shakes? Sometimes I do this. Mix the protein with a very small quantity of liquid--like 3-4oz--so that it's not too much to drink. Drink that. Then mix up the Ultra Fuel.

I could do that, but it's a hassle since i go directly from the gym to work. I'd have to carry an extra shaker bottle with me (in addition to my ultra fuel bottle, my gym bag, cell phone, car keys, wallet, gym membership, etc). Also, i'm not sure how keen i am on gulping down a thick, chocolatey whey drink followed by a fruity, kool-aid tasting grape drink. ;)

I prefer to mix all of my stuff the night before so that i can just grab it and go without any worries. If worst comes to worst i could drink two separate shakes (and probably will, at least until i use up the last of my Ultra Fuel - 1.5 containers worth). I'd just like to make it simpler if i can.

Qea
06-27-2002, 02:09 PM
www.supplementdirect.com sells both malto and dextrose in bulk

MrMuscle
06-27-2002, 02:13 PM
I do not take those products after workout. I mix 60g of Branflakes with 50g of protien powder, and some milk. Works for me.

Paul Stagg
06-27-2002, 02:33 PM
I just eat dinner. Usually some chicken or beef, rice or potato, and some veggies.

Blood&Iron
06-27-2002, 02:36 PM

I could do that, but it's a hassle since i go directly from the gym to work. I'd have to carry an extra shaker bottle with me (in addition to my ultra fuel bottle, my gym bag, cell phone, car keys, wallet, gym membership, etc). Also, i'm not sure how keen i am on gulping down a thick, chocolatey whey drink followed by a fruity, kool-aid tasting grape drink. ;)

Ever hear of ziplock bags?

I don't think it's that bad. Just gulp one down and onto the next. Personally, I don't have any problem with it.

Cue-Ball
06-27-2002, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Blood&Iron

Ever hear of ziplock bags?

I don't think it's that bad. Just gulp one down and onto the next. Personally, I don't have any problem with it.

Like i said, it's an option but i perfer to mix everything up before i go to bed so it's ready when i leave for the gym in the morning. The less prep i have to do at the gym following my workout, the better. You're probably right though - with how protein shakes taste, i probably wouldn't be any worse off taking both at the same time. :)

Paul - Dinner would be a great follow-up meal, but i workout at 8am.

Blood&Iron
06-27-2002, 02:46 PM

Like i said, it's an option but i perfer to mix everything up before i go to bed so it's ready when i leave for the gym in the morning. The less prep i have to do at the gym following my workout, the better.
I'm still not sure how dumping a little baggie of protein into a shaker, adding some water and shaking is any big thing. If it is, why not just buy pre-made shakes?