PDA

View Full Version : Being creative with FlaxSeedOil

WannaBeStrong
06-28-2002, 06:31 AM
For those of you who supplement with FlaxSeed or some other nasty tasting oil, what do you do to mask the flavor?

Somethings I've done so far:

1. Hold my nose, drain it down the throat, drink a ton of water.
This method is OK, but as soon as you let go of your nose, hell hath broken lose. Nasty!

2. Mix 1 TBSP with 8oz of cottage cheese, then drown with fruit.
This is bearable and the oil is closer to a 'buttery' taste when mixed in, but when you run out of fruit, it is back to the hold your nose and suck down the rest method.

I used to hide it in a protein shake (worked out well), but I am on a cutting diet with very restricted calories and a shake doesn't fit in for me.

So, what have you done?

breeze
06-28-2002, 06:34 AM
why use flaxseed oil when you can use flaxseed powder. It's is much much better than the oil, and it has a nutty flavor.

WannaBeStrong
06-28-2002, 07:07 AM
Why is it "much better than the oil"?

Saint Patrick
06-28-2002, 08:24 PM
Be a man, just drink the flax straight outta the bottle :alcoholic

breeze
06-29-2002, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by WannaBeStrong
Why is it "much better than the oil"?

Let me count thy ways. here is a marco breakdown of two table spoons of flax powder. keep in mind that what I am about to list here is not found in the oil. however some oils do have some of the ingredints from the list.

Two table spoons of flax powder which is about 18 grams has.

6 grams of fiber ( 4g insouble fiber, 2g souble fiber )
6 grams of protein.
43 mg of lignans => very interesting compound.
niacin 6% of daly value.
calcium 12% of dv.
iron 22% of dv.
phosphorus 20% of dv.
magnesium 30% of dv.
zinc 12% of dv
copper 20% of dv
vitamin E 100% of dv
thiamine 2% of dv
riboflavin 2% of dv.
vitamin B6 100% of dv.
vitamin B12 100% of dv.
zinc 50% of dv.

The fiber content of flax seed powder is reason enough to take the powder and not the oil. Also the powder can substitute for bran, wheat germ and eggs in baking recipes.

Jane
06-29-2002, 08:07 AM
Which goes bad faster, the powder or the oil?

breeze
06-29-2002, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Jane
Which goes bad faster, the powder or the oil?

I would guess the oil because it gets rancid after a while. I have had powder in my fridge for 6 months without any problems.

WannaBeStrong
06-29-2002, 06:39 PM
Thanks guys. I still gotta choke down the rest of the 1.5 bottles I got :D

I guess I'll just keep "being a man" :D

Tiare
06-29-2002, 08:04 PM
How about just straight flax seed? just mix it in with whatever and you'll never taste it.

Cue-Ball
06-30-2002, 11:10 AM
Instead of straight Flax seed oil, i use something called Udo's Choice Blend. It contains flax and other EFAs. I don't think it tastes bad at all (though, it's obviously not a tasty treat). You might give that a shot instead of plain old flax.

WannaBeStrong
07-01-2002, 06:53 AM
I did plan on checking out Udo's as soon as I finish this Flaxseed up.

I was reading however it is good to take in pure flaxseed for a few months to get your Omega-3's (I think it was 3s) up then switching to Udo's because most people get more 6's than 3's. I eat a lot of almonds so I think I get an OK amount of 6's until I run out of the flaxseed oil.

I am going to look around however to find a source of flaxseeds or flaxseed meal. Sucking down nasty oil makes me dread the evening :D

Nils
07-14-2002, 07:45 AM
I agree about the taste of the pure oil, it's torture ! There is a way to get rid of the taste though. When you prepare a salad, add some lemon juice and the flax oil. Mix it up a bit and you won't taste the horrible flavour any more.

odiegoogle
08-19-2002, 03:46 PM
I recommend the whole flaxseed seed. Just make sure to grind it in a coffee grinder right before you eat it.

The whole seed take MUCH longer to turn rancid, if at all. After all, that's how mother nature created the flaxseed in its original form.

entrrt
08-19-2002, 09:23 PM
damn...i just take 1000mg flaxeed oil pills twice daily w/ meals. easy enuff for me.

Lime
08-19-2002, 09:48 PM
Stupid question:

Aside from being an oil, what is flaxseed oil and why should people drink it?

Franjipani
08-19-2002, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Nils
There is a way to get rid of the taste though. When you prepare a salad, add some lemon juice and the flax oil. Mix it up a bit........

:withstupi

The oil is a more "pure" form of flaxseed because it is so highly concentrated - no preservatives & additives....

I quite like the taste actually;)

Shao-LiN
08-19-2002, 11:21 PM
I just pop a tablespoon into a glass of milk and down it. I don't taste it at all.

MadDogTuttle
08-20-2002, 03:53 AM
Another stupid question:
Does it have to say "flax seed" on the bottle? I saw a bottle at the store today that just said "flax oil". Same thing?

aikigreg
08-20-2002, 08:57 AM
Well, lots of discussion here without actually answering the frigging question, as usual tuttut
:D

Flax is a great tasting oil so long as you're not drinking it straight Here are a couple good things I do:

1. Mix with choco MRP which doesn't taste oily at all - it imparts a nice nutty flavor to the shake

2. Use it in place of vegetable oil and make your own salad dressing with one of those shakers. It will actually taste much better than regular oil.

3. Mix it with cilantro and lime juice to make a KICK ASS dressing for tuna and rice.

:eek:

TreeTrunks
08-20-2002, 01:06 PM
put a tablespoon on some oatmeal, its good then.

08-20-2002, 01:27 PM
I don't mix my flax oil or udo's oil with anything. Why spoil the taste of other food. If you can handle straight shots of smirnoffs or bacardis on nights out on the town, then suck it up and drink the damn little tablespoon like a man. I don't find the taste that bad at all.

Paul Stagg
08-20-2002, 01:30 PM
:withstupi

Just down it. It isn't that bad

Vido
08-20-2002, 01:35 PM
It actually makes oatmeal taste better, so I'd just add it in there along with some protein powder and you've got a meal.

Puttn
08-20-2002, 02:08 PM
why not mix it in w/ some tuna and salad and lemon juice

galileo
08-20-2002, 05:40 PM
I've tried mixing it with both tuna and oatmeal and both sucked. Nasty ****. Doing it bacardi style is the best way to go for me, but then I taste it for like a friggen week.

Ick.

Natural Animal
08-20-2002, 07:49 PM
How about flax seed capsules like me.

I've been taking flax for about 3 months and still dont know what it tastes like.