PDA

View Full Version : HELP Type 1 diabetic bodybuilders

Scroggie
06-28-2002, 09:08 PM
Hello all. Scroggie here. Here's the deal folks about three years ago I found out that I was a type 1 diabetic and am required to take insulin twice a day. About a year and a half ago I got pretty serious about my weight and lost about 135 POUNDS ( I use to be a little over 400!). The thing is I now want to put on the mass with muscle. I have started a pretty good split routine and am getting a lot of advice from both serious friends and magazines. My problem is I don't know what I have to do differently to put on the size since I am a diabetic!! I asked my doctor and she said "well you don't want to really get big do you?" BUT I kind of do. I am not looking for a bodybuilders body, but I do want to put on a lot more mass then I have right now. IF ANY ONE has advice that would help I would GREATLY appreciate it.

Thanks folks!

Scroggie

Holto
06-30-2002, 08:18 PM
you might want to ask your doctor about planning meals and insulin injections

you could hypathetically inject yourself more often if you increased you cals

I think if you took in a meal of the right quantities and proportions you could take a small injection as many as five times a day

a non-diabetic would get a rise in insulin 5 times a day on a diet like this

the point is you need to plan out exactly what you should eat and get super precise with a scale and every measuring device known to man

for sure I could see an extra injection after training because the session would lower your own levels

but again sit down with the doctor or get a sports oritented doctor who experience with diabetics

I'm sure you are very aware of the dangers of over injecting
non-diabetic bodybuilders have died from it

I could be completely wrong but hopefully I can give you the right questions to ask the people who are qualified

big calvin
06-30-2002, 08:52 PM
how old are u? im 19 and have been diabetic for less then a year now but im type 2. mainly cause of my weight. im 421 . did the docotr tell u your type 1? did u try diabetic pills first before insulin? or are u on both? when i found out i was my doctor(new) gave me insulin and i was out of control. sugar was in the 300 atleast and most often 500+. u know what that means. well i went to my old doc and he said i was crazy for taken insulins(i was taking very very large amounts of humalog and R) and he put me on glucovance and my sugar is now like 100 or less and always have to watch for low blood sugar when i forget to eat. i ask this just to make sure your a type 1(insulin dependent) and not type 2(non-dependent). my father is also diabetic and has been for almost 20 years now. he barly knows what he's doing and i help him alot cause i read so much about this. hit me back..

calvin

Holto
07-01-2002, 05:10 PM
good post calvin

wow,

that is so good you straightened that out

whats the adage allways get three opinions

Reinier
07-02-2002, 07:04 AM
dont rely on mags for any of your information.
they are mainly bullshit, hidden advertising and ghost written bullshit.

KoolMan
07-03-2002, 02:37 PM
I read a news group called alt.support.diet.low-carb and I have read about some people who work out (bodybuild) on a low-carb diet.. some who even have gotten off insulin totaly (not sure if anyof them are the bodybuilders) but somepeople in there might be able to help.

LiftAgain
07-05-2002, 04:34 AM
You really need to discuss this with a doctor that is knowledgable with diabetes and preferably also with sports. Not just a general practitioner.

You might need a new schedule and doses prescribed that takes into account your new physical activity level as well as new energy needs to keep your blood sugar levels steady.

Be sure to tell the doctor what your goals are so he can advice you accordingly. I think it could involve more careful blood sugar monitoring and adjustable insulin intake.