PDA

View Full Version : MonStar's HST Journal

MonStar
06-29-2002, 02:22 AM
Decided to give HST (Hypertrophy Specific Training) one last shot. I feel like my metabolism was through the f*cking roof while I was doing HST, and my strength was excellent too. I am going to be expecting some great things while on this program.

Again guys PLEASE only positive support. Yes its my 50th journal, everyone here at WBB knows that. I know its stupid and I know its annoying and I know that you guys hate when I make a new journal etc.

But again please I am hoping that all of my supporters will still post frequenty in my journal.. you guys know who you are. (Blood&Iron, The_Chicken_Daddy, MarshallPenn, rookiebldr, Marcel, FAngel, etc.) If I am forgetting you it's because it is 4:00 AM not because your posts are not important. ;);)

MS

MonStar
06-29-2002, 02:23 AM
Diet.
I am going to be doing a pretty basic diet actually that is kind of similar to what I have done in the past, a cyclical isocaloric diet (CID). It is basically an isocaloric diet, while simply incorporating refeeds. However I am not going to be doing 1-2 day refeeds like some of us on a CID are. I am going to be doing 2-3 hour refeeds, postworkout.

Ill end up eating low/non-fat foods that are high in carbs. This will last like I said 2-3 hours and then Ill switch back to eating isocalorically. But on HST I will be training every other day consecutively so I will be refeeding every other day, rather consistently. On my isocaloric days (non-training) however, Ill be eating roughly the following:

2000 - 2200 calories
180 - 200g protein
180 - 200g carbs
60 - 80g fat

Like I said for the 2-3 hours postworkout while I refeed anything is fair game more or less. Basically anything that is low in fat and high in carbs. Things like low-fat ice-cream and Rold Gold pretzels are completely fine. Tasty, and delicious.

MonStar
HST Training.
As you all know I am currently going to be following HST, Hypertrophy Specific Training. In my version of HST, one cycle of HST is four microcycles. It is broken down into four microcycles, that each consist of 6 workouts, lasting 12 days each. In the first microcycle, all of the exercises will be performed with 15 reps. In the second microcycle, all of the exercises will performed with 10 reps, in the third, 5 reps, and finally in the fourth, reps may go as low as 2-3.

Each microcycle like I said is 6 training sessions, and lasts a total of 12 days long. So an entire HST cycle for me is 48 days total.

HST is all about gradual progression. Adding weight every single workout, and eventually that leading to increased strength and muscular development. Training to failure is NOT recommended nor necessary for this program to be effective. I will be training every other day. If for some odd reason I miss a workout Ill just make it up the next day. Everyday I am not training Ill end up doing some light cardio first thing in the morning.

Each workout in HST is a full-body workout. Each muscle group will be trained with 1-2 exercises, and just one working set per exercise. It is all based on rep maxes. A 5 rep max (5RM), 10 rep max (10RM), and 15 rep max (15RM) with specific exercises. Hopefully after my first full cycle of HST my RMs will have increased. Well have to see what happens though.

My fourth microcycle in each HST cycle is kind of confusing. This is where usually a person would perform negatives, however I dont have a spotter. So Ill just be gradually, very gradually, adding weight to my 5RM. Once I reach a weight where I cant get 2 full reps with good form then Ill just keep that weight for the remainder of the microcycle.

After my entire HST cycle there is a unique part of HST called strategic deconditioning. This is simply more or less a week OFF of training alltogether. There are a few reasons for this. (1) is to make the higher-reps (15) effective again when I start back up with my second HST cycle, and (2) to help the body recovery from the highly intense negatives.

The exercises that I will be performing each workout are:

Squats
Barbell Stiff-legged Deadlifts
Standing Smith-machine Calf Raises
Flat Barbell Presses
Wide-grip Underhand Chins
Flat Dumbbell Flyes
Underhand Supported Lever Rows
High Pulls
Standing Barbell Curls
Lying Cambered-bar Extensions
Standing Barbell Reverse Curls
Machine Crunches

As I said before Ill be doing one set of each exercise. I know that everything I have said so far is probably very confusing - so you can check out the HST articles themselves by clicking here (http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/hst_index.html).

MonStar
HST Rep Maxes.
Squats
340 15RM
365 10RM
425 5RM

Barbell Stiff-legged Deadlifts
145 15RM
165 10RM
185 5RM

Standing Smith-machine Calf Raises
300 15RM
320 10RM
340 5RM

Flat Barbell Presses
195 15RM
215 10RM
255 5RM

Wide-grip Underhand Chins
BW 15RM
+20 10RM
+55 5RM

Flat Dumbbell Flyes
40 15RM
60 10RM
85 5RM

Underhand Supported Lever Rows
170 15RM
195 10RM
220 5RM

High Pulls
100 15RM
115 10RM
145 5RM

Standing Barbell Curls
85 15RM
100 10RM
120 5RM

Lying Cambered-bar Extensions
110 15RM
120 10RM
140 5RM

Standing Barbell Reverse Curls
70 15RM
80 10RM
90 5RM

Machine Crunches
155 15RM
165 10RM
175 5RM

Hopefully by the end of my first HST cycle I will have exceeded many of these poundages. Theyre all accurate though.

PowerManDL
06-29-2002, 02:29 AM
MonStar, I'm gonna flame you because its 3 30 am and I'm drunk, not because I care that this is your 50th journal.

At any rate, goddammit, we've told you how to gain motherfucker, why don't you stick with it? geezus H. christ motherfucker, why don't you listen to us?

Ok, enough of that.....I don't mind you changing up styles and **** cause I do it to, but I keep the same journal.

Honestly I don't even know why I'm replying except to be a jerk.... did anyone else think that the end of Return of the Jedi had extra meaning after watching Anakin and Senator Natalie Portman in Episode II? I know it almost brought me to tears when Vader threw the Emperor over the edge.

MonStar
06-29-2002, 02:34 AM
Originally posted by PowerManDL
MonStar, I'm gonna flame you because its 3 30 am and I'm drunk, not because I care that this is your 50th journal.

At any rate, goddammit, we've told you how to gain motherfucker, why don't you stick with it? geezus H. christ motherfucker, why don't you listen to us?

Haha okay Matt whatever you say bro. Its obvious that your drunk Jesus. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

But anyways, yeah I know that you all have told me how to gain and I keep changing sh!t up. HST just seems like so great and all I had to give it one last shot ya know?

Ok, enough of that.....I don't mind you changing up styles and **** cause I do it to, but I keep the same journal.

Yeah I just like to start a new journal when I start something completely new.

Honestly I don't even know why I'm replying except to be a jerk.... did anyone else think that the end of Return of the Jedi had extra meaning after watching Anakin and Senator Natalie Portman in Episode II? I know it almost brought me to tears when Vader threw the Emperor over the edge.

Haha youre just totally losing it man. :D:D

Keep up the heavy poundages, but lay off the alcohol.

MS

MonStar
06-29-2002, 02:44 AM
(view a description of my diet by clicking here (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=242616#post242616), view a description of my training by clicking here (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=242617#post242617), view my current HST rep maxes by clicking here (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=242619#post242619))

HST CYCLE 1 | MICROCYCLE 1 | DAY 1
June 29, 2002

Cardio.
----------------------------------------------------------------
(postworkout) 10 minutes treadmill, 3.5 MPH @ a 15% incline + 10 minutes stationery bike, level 6.
Comments.
Decided to give HST one last shot. Hehe I know that you guys are probably going to go crazy over this but oh well. After checking out the HST forums (www.hypertrophy-specific.com/cgi-bin/ib3/ikonboard.cgi) and seeing how great the results some of the guys were getting I had to give it one last shot.

I dont know well see what happens this time around with HST. Hopefully all will go well. I have just ordered a copy of a book called "Supertraining" which should really help me understand the chemistry behind training and everything like that. I guess well see what happens with that.
Diet. Refeed Day.
Meal 1: Myoplex MRP + 1 cup skim milk
(360 calories, 50g protein, 33g carbs, 2g fat)

Postworkout: 2 servings whey protein + 1/2 serving Cell-Tech
(420 calories, 44g protein, 55g carbs, 3g fat)

-------------------------Started Refeed------------------------

Meal 3: Sobe Power + Swedish Fish
(500 calories, 1g protein, 128g carbs, 0g fat)

Meal 4: Mike & Ikes + Milky Way Lite
(390 calories, 3g protein, 89g carbs, 5g fat)

Meal 5: Lean Cuisine chicken fried rice + 1 cup low-fat Ben & Jerry's ice-cream
(760 calories, 29g protein, 131g carbs, 13g fat)

Meal 6: Lean Cuisine pizza + 1 cup low-fat Ben & Jerry's ice-cream
(740 calories, 26g protein, 133g carbs, 11g fat)

------------------------Finished Refeed------------------------

Meal 7: 1 slice whole-wheat bread + 2 tbsp. peanut butter + 2 cups skim milk
(390 calories, 27g protein, 40g carbs, 17g fat)

Total Calories: 3560
Total (g) Protein: 180g - 20%
Total (g) Carbs: 609g - 67%
Total (g) Fat: 51g - 13%
Pain/Soreness.
Not really sore today at all, feel fine. My glutes are actually a little sore but not from working out I dont think. Other than that I am fine.
Sleep.
Last night I got 4.5 hours + 1 hour of sleep. tuttuttuttut My motherf*cking family kept waking me up like stupid f*cking a*sholes. My performance in the gym today is probably going to be a motherf*cking joke thanks to them. Sh!t pisses me off so much.
Supplements.
multi-vitamin/mineral 2x today
1g vitamin C 3x today
400 IU vitamin E 3x today
1 Calcium Complete 3x today
1 Lipodryl 1x today
250 mg. usnic acid 2x today
5cc Liquid Clenbutrx preworkout
1/2 serving Cell-Tech + 5g creatine + 5g glutamine peptides + 3g l-arginine + 1g ginger + 500 mg. ALA + 250 mg. Aminogen postworkout
500 mg. ALA halfway through refeed
6 mg. melatonin + 5g glutamine before bed

Currently doing an usnic acid cycle. Probably going to do it for around another 5 weeks or so then drop usnic acid for maybe a few weeks and then maybe start it up again if I gain a little fat. :cool::cool:

Also I am dropping my second dose of Lipodryl / Adrenalin on my refeed days. Simply because I do not want the ephedrine / norephedrine blunting my insulin or anything even similar to that. Just a very dumb idea I should have never done that to begin with.
Training.
Squats:

240 x 15

Nice hard set of squats today! Hit my quads very very hard. Not near failure but pretty hard considering its my first day of HST. Going to hit up 260 lbs. on Monday I think. Well see what happens with that. Again hit my quads and glutes hard. High reps are definitely something that I am not used to! Lotta lactic acid buildup.

Barbell Stiff-legged Deadlifts:

95 x 15

Nice set of SLDLs today. Need to get back into the swing of these. I really enjoy them so that honestly shouldnt be a problem. Kept a slight bend in my knees and used a double overhand grip. Really hit my hamstrings hard and contracted my glutes hard at the top of every single repetition. Great stretch in my hamstrings at the bottom of every rep.

Standing Smith-machine Calf Raises:

200 x 15

Nice set of calf raises today! Actually felt pretty light when I first started but after I got into the movement started to get some good lactic acid buildup. Really squeezed my calves hard and stretched them out well. Good overall set I think.

Flat Barbell Presses:

145 x 15

Nice set of flat BB presses today. Hit my pecs hard with some good form and ROM. Quick reps really squeezing my pecs hard with every single rep. Nice set. Fairly easy but not a joke of a set. Going to hit up 155 lbs. on Monday and see how that goes.

Wide-grip Underhand Chins:

-100 x 15

Nice set of chins today!! Did -100 lbs. which sounds like a lot but this allowed me to contract my lats like never before. Did completely full ROM reps really hitting my entire back completely. Nice hard set really really good. Lactic acid buildup effected my set rather quickly though.

Flat Dumbbell Flyes:

15 x 15

Haha used the 15s for this set. Extremely light almost a total joke at first. Then as I got into the set going all the way down and all the way back up I really hammered my pecs completely. Good set. Didnt expect to exaust my pecs this badly with the 15s. Nice set! Pecs got a really nice pump off of this set.

Underhand Supported Lever Rows:

120 x 15

A hard set of rows today. Used the supported lever row machine by Paramount. Squeezed my lats extremely hard. Basically focused whole-heartedly on my lats. Didnt have to worry about my lower back being fatigued like I do with bentover rows. Anyway a pretty hard set. Lactic acid buildup in my lats was crazy.

High Pulls:

75 x 15

Nice hard set of high pulls today. Hammered the sh!t outta my delts and my traps. Really hit both musclegroups hard. Used a tiny bit wider than a shoulder-width grip. Which really came out to be the perfect grip to be completely honest. Great set.

Standing Barbell Curls:

60 x 15

Nice set of BB curls today. Really tough actually a little too hard. Hit my biceps very very hard with a lot of lactic acid buildup. My biceps were burnt out like crazy with this set. After around 7-10 slow reps my biceps were totally on fire. Kept going to 15 though. Not at failure, just a good burn.

Lying Cambered-bar Extensions:

85 x 15

Nice set of skulls today. Hit my triceps very very hard with some good solid reps. My triceps were pretty fatigued from this set. Hit them hard. Good set. Squeezed my triceps hard at the top of every single rep. Nice overall set of skulls.

Standing Barbell Reverse Curls:

45 x 15

Woah my biceps and forearms both got f*cked from this set. Lactic acid buildup was crazy. Hit my brachialis and brachioradialis completely. I mean really really burnt them out 100%. Good good set.

Machine Crunches:

105 x 15

Nice way to finish off my workout today. Good set of crunches right at about the right weight. Squeezed my abs hard with every single rep. Really got some good contractions. Good lactic acid buildup - nice overall set.
Training Length.
Lasted 30 minutes today! Brief and intense just the way that it should be. Gym wasnt busy at all, got in and got out.
Water.
Good amount today I think I need to keep it up.
Weight.
First thing in the morning, without clothes, after using the restroom, I weighed 206 lbs. Must be all food and water weight because last night and the night before I binged on high-fat, high-carb foods like it was my job. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

PowerManDL
06-29-2002, 02:54 AM
So what you're saying is that watching Vader turn back to the good side and toss the Emperor's punk ass didn't affect you any more after seeing all the **** that went down in Episode II? I know it shook me up a lot more.

Man, you're a bigger Communist than Jane.

MonStar
06-29-2002, 02:56 AM
So what you're saying is that watching Vader turn back to the good side and toss the Emperor's punk ass didn't affect you any more after seeing all the **** that went down in Episode II? I know it shook me up a lot more.

Man, you're a bigger Communist than Jane.

:rolleyes::rolleyes: I have a damn clue what youre talking about bro. I am a bigger communist than Jane.. ??

MS

PowerManDL
06-29-2002, 03:03 AM
You should drink more, then you'll understand things as the ninja masters do. Watching Vader turn back to good is a pivotal moment in any ninja's training.

Will Smith's new video is alright.

The_Chicken_Daddy
06-29-2002, 03:34 AM
Micky, it's not so much the fact that you keep changing journals, it's more to do with the fact that you keep changing training protocol and diet strategies. It's annoying knowing that you could be growing stronger and bigger with one type of routine providing you stick with it but you keep switching and being undecisive.

Now, are you gonna actually stick with HST for the duration? If not, I'll be pissed. I'm sure several others will too. And what in the name of my unit are you doing up that late?! Get to bed you retard!

P.s. Since you're the only one on the board using usnic acid, how is it going thus far?

PowerManDL
06-29-2002, 03:40 AM
Yeah man, why does Vader's converting not affect you? I mean, think about it!

Marcel
06-29-2002, 04:24 AM
Mike, if your changing you program it's because you 'know' and 'feel' like you did better on HST. If it makes you happy then fook it go for it brudda.

Nobody should complain about sh*t. It's your fuken training you can do whatever the fuk you want with it. Your always progressing so go for what you feel best on.

If you don't like HST this time around then change it to something else. What harm can be done? You will be progressing EVEN WHILE dieting so go for what makes you happiest and if that's results go with what gives you the best results.

You will eventually learn what works best for you. Good luck bro I will be checking this out daily. Peace.

MonStar
06-29-2002, 09:22 AM
You should drink more, then you'll understand things as the ninja masters do. Watching Vader turn back to good is a pivotal moment in any ninja's training.

Will Smith's new video is alright.

Haha okay man whatever you say. :D:D

Anyway I have never drank my entire life really so I am definitely not going to be starting now. I havnt touched alcohol since I was like 12-13 years old and even then I felt like it was a total mistake. Stupid move on my part. We all learn from our mistakes though I guess.

MS

MonStar
06-29-2002, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy
Micky, it's not so much the fact that you keep changing journals, it's more to do with the fact that you keep changing training protocol and diet strategies. It's annoying knowing that you could be growing stronger and bigger with one type of routine providing you stick with it but you keep switching and being undecisive.

Yeah I guess youre right Robboe. I am adding you to the list of guys who always support me by the way - my apologies for leaving you out it just slipped my mind at 4:00 AM. But yeah I completely understand what youre saying. I just feel like HST is a good program that really jacked up my metabolism big time. I felt like I was eating a lot and still dropping fat at an excellent rate. :cool::cool:

Now, are you gonna actually stick with HST for the duration? If not, I'll be pissed. I'm sure several others will too. And what in the name of my unit are you doing up that late?! Get to bed you retard!

P.s. Since you're the only one on the board using usnic acid, how is it going thus far?

Yeah I am going to Rob trust me. I definitely am going to and if for some stupid reason I dont I want you personally to go f*cking crazy. I mean I want you to be pissed because I am going to be pissed at myself. In the name of your unit? Haha. I was just on the phone late late with my girlfriend trying to get her to give me another chance. I was stupid as usual.

Usnic acid is working well so far at the dosage that I am currently taking. (250 mg. twice per day) Little hotter than usual and sweat a tad more but I feel like it takes off fat more quickly as well.

MS

MonStar
06-29-2002, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by Marcel
Mike, if your changing you program it's because you 'know' and 'feel' like you did better on HST. If it makes you happy then fook it go for it brudda.

Hey thanks a lot Marcel, really appreciate your support seriously bro. Its always nice to have guys support you no matter what you decide to do ya know? Thats always a good thing. HST really just helped me burn off some fat I think even though I was gaining some strength and maybe some muscular development.

Nobody should complain about sh*t. It's your fuken training you can do whatever the fuk you want with it. Your always progressing so go for what you feel best on.

I know but I can completely understand why you guys would be pissed off and all that because I changed my journals yet again. Hopefully, almost definitely, this time Ill stick with it. I dont know what the f*ck I was thinking not sticking to the same damn journal anyway.

If you don't like HST this time around then change it to something else. What harm can be done? You will be progressing EVEN WHILE dieting so go for what makes you happiest and if that's results go with what gives you the best results.

I know that I do continue progressing no matter what program I seem to try which is always a good thing. I just need to keep the same program for more than just a few weeks ya know. I mean thats just my opinion but I think it takes at least a month to get a really good idea of whether or not what youre doing is working.

You will eventually learn what works best for you. Good luck bro I will be checking this out daily. Peace.

Yeah I know I hope to learn what works best for me and thanks again for your support. :thumbup::thumbup:

MarshallPenn
06-29-2002, 10:03 AM

This may be the best post at WBB ever. Now I'm going to have to go watch some Star Wars.

MonStar
06-29-2002, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by MarshallPenn
This may be the best post at WBB ever. Now I'm going to have to go watch some Star Wars.

Haha whatever you say Marshall. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

MS

gregnb
06-29-2002, 10:17 AM
Hey bro, another journal I see :). Hope you find something that works for ya, but 'till then everyone is just gonna have to deal with it hehe.

Btw, how is the Usnic acid going? have you lost any weight or seen any changes in appearances? any side effects?

MarshallPenn
06-29-2002, 10:19 AM
OK - Now let me add something more constructive. :-)

It's a shame you did your obligatory "I'm about to start a new routine, so I'll binge again" thing. Your self discipline is so low, it really needs some work. I personally think that low self discipline and HST don't mix well. So that may be why you keep having trouble with it.

Ok, as usual, you do HST the same way - the wrong way - each time. I do feel however, that your maxes may be fairly accurate this time, but your skipping SD before you start once again! However, this is not the worst thing in the world, because the 15's will actually serve as a the deconditioning period for you, and while you are doing them, you'll be ramping up your metabolism to boot. So not the end of the world.

Here is the best piece of advice I can give you, and I'm sure there will be more to follow. Don't try for stregnth increases on the 15's and 10's -- if you can go heavier, don't. Just do your reps and move on. When you get to the last day of the 5's, use the last 2 weeks (7 & 8) to go hog wild with weights. My explosion at the end of each cycle is enormous. Oh yeah, try some negatives too, there has to be a spot there at your gym for you.

One last thing, even if you drop HST again, I really feel that you are benefitting tremendously from the 15's. You could back to a program like Belial's and benefit once again -- although not like HST. I'm convinced of that now, as you know.

1 more. EAT!

Ok, one more. Clarify your goals. If it's fat loss, don't expect strength or size increases. If it's strength do WSB. If it's size and strength, do HST, but eat right. Etc...

Good luck!

MarshallPenn
06-29-2002, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by MonStar

Haha whatever you say Marshall. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

MS

I didn't realize that Matt kept going! He was out of his tree. Too funny.

MonStar
06-29-2002, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by gregnb
Hey bro, another journal I see :). Hope you find something that works for ya, but 'till then everyone is just gonna have to deal with it hehe.

Btw, how is the Usnic acid going? have you lost any weight or seen any changes in appearances? any side effects?

Yeah man one last journal. But hey thats what I said last time so who the hell knows. Really looking forward to it this time though. Actually looking forward to the 15s, 10s, and obviously the 5s and all that. Hoping for some fat-loss and some extra strength and development too.

Usnic acid is going good. Feel a little bit hotter and sweat a little more. Sweat some in my sleep too sometimes. Nothing too big of a deal because I just cheated the last 2 days. Check up in a few days man. :):)

When are you starting your cycle?

MS

gregnb
06-29-2002, 10:28 AM
Still waiting on the ALA :( Do you know somewhere I could purchase good quality ALA cheap?

It's a shame you did your obligatory "I'm about to start a new routine, so I'll binge again" thing. Your self discipline is so low, it really needs some work. I personally think that low self discipline and HST don't mix well. So that may be why you keep having trouble with it.

I have to agree with that man. It's like your Usnic acid is going to waste! Just think of it this way.. you blew $37 bucks so just deal with it 'till you're done :) Who knows how much better the results could be :)

MonStar
06-29-2002, 10:36 AM
OK - Now let me add something more constructive. :-)

Yeah stupid move I guess as usual. Never really know what the f*ck I am thinking to be honest I am just like "oh since I am already fat lemme stuff my face like as a*shole." Haha I seriously dont know what the f*ck goes through my head. Oh well, now its in the past and there is nothing that I can do about it at this point. Need to look ahead.

Ok, as usual, you do HST the same way - the wrong way - each time. I do feel however, that your maxes may be fairly accurate this time, but your skipping SD before you start once again! However, this is not the worst thing in the world, because the 15's will actually serve as a the deconditioning period for you, and while you are doing them, you'll be ramping up your metabolism to boot. So not the end of the world.

I dont feel like I do it the "wrong way" at all but we all have our own opinions right? My maxes last time around were fairly accurate as they are this time around. Except for SLDLs I feel much stronger than what my max is supposed to be. I am hoping to ramp up my metabolism big time following HST. Thats always a huge plus with this program. Always enjoy that part of it.

Here is the best piece of advice I can give you, and I'm sure there will be more to follow. Don't try for stregnth increases on the 15's and 10's -- if you can go heavier, don't. Just do your reps and move on. When you get to the last day of the 5's, use the last 2 weeks (7 & 8) to go hog wild with weights. My explosion at the end of each cycle is enormous. Oh yeah, try some negatives too, there has to be a spot there at your gym for you.

Really? You dont think that I should bump up my strength for the 15s and the 10s? I mean what good is HST if I am keeping my strength the same that basically takes all of the fun out of it. Going to all out failure on the 6th workout is what makes HST so much fun. Well in my opinion at least. Well see. Why are you saying that? Just because its too taxing on my CNS or what?

One last thing, even if you drop HST again, I really feel that you are benefitting tremendously from the 15's. You could back to a program like Belial's and benefit once again -- although not like HST. I'm convinced of that now, as you know.

Yeah I do seem to get great results from the 15s and 10s everytime I try this program, almost completely ridiculous that I dont stick with it. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

1 more. EAT!

Ok, one more. Clarify your goals. If it's fat loss, don't expect strength or size increases. If it's strength do WSB. If it's size and strength, do HST, but eat right. Etc...

Good luck!

My goals are to lose some fat first of all, while gaining some strength and develop a few weakpoints in my physique. :thumbup::thumbup:

MS

MonStar
06-29-2002, 10:41 AM
Still waiting on the ALA :( Do you know somewhere I could purchase good quality ALA cheap?

Haha I am telling you man again to check out www.beyond-a-century.com just do a search for lipoic acid I believe. You can buy like 50g of ALA for $17.50 or something along those lines. Extremely cheap and very effective. The only downside is that when you take it there is a little throat irritation just because its the powder not capsule / tablet.

I have to agree with that man. It's like your Usnic acid is going to waste! Just think of it this way.. you blew $37 bucks so just deal with it 'till you're done :) Who knows how much better the results could be :)

Yeah overall though I think that usnic acid is working well. When I was dieting and not being a fat a*s piece of sh!t I felt extremely lean I felt like I had rockhard abs etc. Usually my abs are a little soft which always pisses me off but they were feeling harder. Dont worry man 2 weeks time Ill have dropped some fat - guaranteed.

MS

gregnb
06-29-2002, 10:43 AM
The only downside is that when you take it there is a little throat irritation just because its the powder not capsule / tablet.

You still get good results? ALA degrades when exposed to air or UV light from what I hear..

MarshallPenn
06-29-2002, 10:52 AM

I dont feel like I do it the "wrong way" at all but we all have our own opinions right? My maxes last time around were fairly accurate as they are this time around. Except for SLDLs I feel much stronger than what my max is supposed to be. I am hoping to ramp up my metabolism big time following HST. Thats always a huge plus with this program. Always enjoy that part of it.

Well, it's technically wrong, because your body isn't going to respond well to beginning with such light weights if you don't decondition first. It's kind of the whole point of the HST protocol.

Really? You dont think that I should bump up my strength for the 15s and the 10s? I mean what good is HST if I am keeping my strength the same that basically takes all of the fun out of it. Going to all out failure on the 6th workout is what makes HST so much fun. Well in my opinion at least. Well see. Why are you saying that? Just because its too taxing on my CNS or what?

You're going to go to failure on the 6th workout? No need, and it's not recommended, AND, you're not taking 2 days off in between workouts, so that will hurt things. There is just no point. Save it for the end and watch your strength explode. Besides, going heavier than planned on the 15's screws up the start of the 10's and likewise for the 10's and the 5's - the starting weights of each mini-cycle becomes less effective.

My goals are to lose some fat first of all, while gaining some strength and develop a few weakpoints in my physique.

Tough to do all those at once.

MonStar
06-29-2002, 10:58 AM
You still get good results? ALA degrades when exposed to air or UV light from what I hear..

I have heard the same thing but I never experienced any kind of problem with it at all. So I dont know how true that statement is. :D:D

MS

MonStar
06-29-2002, 11:02 AM
Well, it's technically wrong, because your body isn't going to respond well to beginning with such light weights if you don't decondition first. It's kind of the whole point of the HST protocol.

Yeah man I dont know though I never decondition much before I start my 15s and always seem to really reap the benefits of them. Kind of strange how that works out huh?

You're going to go to failure on the 6th workout? No need, and it's not recommended, AND, you're not taking 2 days off in between workouts, so that will hurt things. There is just no point. Save it for the end and watch your strength explode. Besides, going heavier than planned on the 15's screws up the start of the 10's and likewise for the 10's and the 5's - the starting weights of each mini-cycle becomes less effective.

I never heard that it wasnt recommended. But since you seem to be Mr. HST Ill take your advice and just go up to what I am supposed to go up to and keep it at that then. ;);)

So then the last 2 weeks of each HST cycle Ill just pile on the weight I guess huh? I understand what youre saying Marshall about not taking 2 days off ever I have decided to go straight through every other day and see how it goes.

Tough to do all those at once.

I know but as you know I am sure as hell gonna try!!

MS

MarshallPenn
06-29-2002, 11:18 AM
Ok, just want to make sure though that you don't think I'm saying the every other day idea itself is bad. That's fine. That's what I'm doing now actually. M W F S T TH S etc....

When you get to the end of week 6, and you have your 5RM's going up like crazy in weeks 7 and 8 (my brother raised his 5RM DB Press 15lbs a side this cycle!), and you're doing some super heavy workouts, you might find you want to space your workouts by 2 days on occasion. You'll know if you need the extra rest. Otherwise, if you're staying clear of failure, every other day seems to work fine.

MarshallPenn
06-29-2002, 11:21 AM
Oh, also, you still will reap the benefits of the 15's, but you'll be much less likely to GROW from them, maybe even the beginning of the 10's too.

If you get through this cycle, and you take the 9 days off (I know, the horrror) you will find that the 15's can be a real bitch!

MonStar
06-29-2002, 01:15 PM
Ok, just want to make sure though that you don't think I'm saying the every other day idea itself is bad. That's fine. That's what I'm doing now actually. M W F S T TH S etc....

Yeah I know man I never got the impression that every other day was a bad thing. I think its a great idea to be honest Bryan Haycock suggests himself training every 48 hours. Seems like a good idea to me. :cool::cool:

When you get to the end of week 6, and you have your 5RM's going up like crazy in weeks 7 and 8 (my brother raised his 5RM DB Press 15lbs a side this cycle!), and you're doing some super heavy workouts, you might find you want to space your workouts by 2 days on occasion. You'll know if you need the extra rest. Otherwise, if you're staying clear of failure, every other day seems to work fine.

Wow thats an amazing gain. Does your brother post here at WBB or nah? Well I guess we will have to wait and see how those last 2 weeks effect my strength. I am really hoping that my strength will soar. Maybe get up to the 100s for DB flyes. That would be seriously truly amazing. Well see how things go. Really looking forward to the gains I am going to get on HST.

MS

MonStar
06-29-2002, 01:17 PM
Oh, also, you still will reap the benefits of the 15's, but you'll be much less likely to GROW from them, maybe even the beginning of the 10's too.

Yeah I figured that this would be the case. I dont know Ill be posting my results and everything like that on a day to day basis throughout my FULL HST cycle this time around. I am not going to quit after the 10s or anything like that. The only way Ill know if HST works is if I stick it out.

If you get through this cycle, and you take the 9 days off (I know, the horrror) you will find that the 15's can be a real bitch!

I am probably only going to take ~7 days off which everyone over in the HST forum said is fine. They said ~9-12 days might be better but 7 would suffice.

MS

MarshallPenn
06-29-2002, 03:29 PM
Another no post :-(

MonStar
06-29-2002, 04:23 PM
Another no post :-(

I lost you man. Another no post? I didnt delete my post and post it again or anything like that so I really dont know what youre talking about. :confused::confused:

MS

rookiebldr
06-29-2002, 04:31 PM
Ok, my turn.

:thumbup: I was thinking it was about time that you changed your journal and a new routine. Good luck on the HST routine again. I'm going try it some day, I just procastinate more. Too bad you didn't keep the old one around, it could have been one of the highest viewed threads here - almost made it to 10,000.

p.s. You made a brief mention about staying up late, earlier due to women troubles. If you'd rather not say here than thats ok as well just tell me to sfu, but are things ok with you and Brittany?

PowermanDL-
Star Wars, f*ck, I guess I better see the lastest film.

MarshallPenn
06-29-2002, 05:59 PM
Somehow I think your journal made it to the top again, but no new entry, maybe it was my mistake. Oops.

MonStar
06-29-2002, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by rookiebldr
Ok, my turn.

:thumbup: I was thinking it was about time that you changed your journal and a new routine. Good luck on the HST routine again. I'm going try it some day, I just procastinate more. Too bad you didn't keep the old one around, it could have been one of the highest viewed threads here - almost made it to 10,000.

Haha I guess you figured out about how long it takes me to start another online journal huh rookiebldr? :D:D

Thanks man for the support really appreciate it. Yeah man I definitely suggest you giving HST a shot no questions asked. I think that everyone seems to get different results on HST you really gotta give it a shot for yourself.

Haha yeah the other journal really was packing in some seious views man haha I dont know what the hell was up with that! Oh well not much I can do, started a new journal now - just have to hope for the same kind of support. Belial's journal has like 34,000 views!! :eek::eek:

p.s. You made a brief mention about staying up late, earlier due to women troubles. If you'd rather not say here than thats ok as well just tell me to sfu, but are things ok with you and Brittany?

PowermanDL-
Star Wars, f*ck, I guess I better see the lastest film.

Yeah now things with me and Brittany are okay. They werent for a while. I just need to stop being so f*cking immature and start acting like a mature adult. Need to get my insecurities off my mind and really focus on how great Brittany really is. Cherish her more and all that. Shes my baby. :angel::angel:

MS

MonStar
06-29-2002, 10:42 PM
Somehow I think your journal made it to the top again, but no new entry, maybe it was my mistake. Oops.

Haha nah it didnt but its not too big of deal. Wouldnt be much of a surprise if it did happen. Hehe. Anyway my HST workout went well today man really like it. Like the exercises that I am currently doing a lot. :thumbup::thumbup:

MS

Blood&Iron
06-29-2002, 10:45 PM
Good luck.

Hope you stick it out to the end this time.

MonStar
06-29-2002, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by Blood&Iron
Good luck.

Hope you stick it out to the end this time.

Hey thanks a lot B&I.

Really really appreciate the support, seriously man. Good luck with your version of HST / Arnold's routine. How is that holding up for you? Getting good results? Have your arms blown up yet?

Decided to track my calories in my refeed and I think I like that much more. I dont pig out as much. ;);)

MS

Blood&Iron
06-29-2002, 11:28 PM

Good luck with your version of HST / Arnold's routine. How is that holding up for you? Getting good results? Have your arms blown up yet?

Well, I haven't measured them in the last week or two, but as you know they did go from 16.25'' to 17'' or so(really 16.5'') I'll check 'em in again in another day or two. Probably have my bodyfat tested again tomorrow.

Love the routine, though. Probably the funnest routine I've ever done--which was half the point.

MonStar
06-29-2002, 11:35 PM
Well, I haven't measured them in the last week or two, but as you know they did go from 16.25'' to 17'' or so(really 16.5'') I'll check 'em in again in another day or two. Probably have my bodyfat tested again tomorrow.

Love the routine, though. Probably the funnest routine I've ever done--which was half the point.

Thats cool man let us all know what your arms measure out to be. But anyway thats great that its the funnest routine that you have ever done thats really really important if you ask me. If youre not having fun then youre really not going to stick with it.

MS

Blood&Iron
06-29-2002, 11:45 PM

If youre not having fun then youre really not going to stick with it.

MS
Dunno about that. For the first two or three years I worked out I, in some very fundamental ways, HATED my workouts. Usually they ended with me hunched over a toilet for a good 30 or 45 minutes fully expecting to puke(I still enjoyed them in some ways.) At that point I thought intensity was the key and fun was irrelevant. I still kinda think fun is irrelevant, but I prefer that my workouts be enjoyable. Still, if I thought repeatedly smashing a sledgehammer into my biceps would make them grow, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

MonStar
06-30-2002, 01:12 AM
Dunno about that. For the first two or three years I worked out I, in some very fundamental ways, HATED my workouts. Usually they ended with me hunched over a toilet for a good 30 or 45 minutes fully expecting to puke(I still enjoyed them in some ways.) At that point I thought intensity was the key and fun was irrelevant. I still kinda think fun is irrelevant, but I prefer that my workouts be enjoyable. Still, if I thought repeatedly smashing a sledgehammer into my biceps would make them grow, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Really? Wow thats interesting B&I never heard anything quite like that. Surprised that you stuck with working out if you really hated your workouts. I have always loved my workouts. I mean really really enjoyed my workouts like big time.

I know that at one point I was the same way where I would do whatever it took to grow. I mean I did feel at some points in my bodybuilding career I was just was so fed up with the same old strength that I was just about to go nuts ya know? I dont know now I am growing at a great rate so everything is going well. :cool::cool:

MS

rookiebldr
06-30-2002, 05:27 AM

Dunno about that. For the first two or three years I worked out I, in some very fundamental ways, HATED my workouts. Usually they ended with me hunched over a toilet for a good 30 or 45 minutes fully expecting to puke(I still enjoyed them in some ways.) At that point I thought intensity was the key and fun was irrelevant. I still kinda think fun is irrelevant, but I prefer that my workouts be enjoyable.

This likely gave you a great base to build on. I've read / heard this before from others who work so hard they puke, I just figured that I haven't figured out how to apply this level of intensity to the equation.

... Still, if I thought repeatedly smashing a sledgehammer into my biceps would make them grow, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Interesting, now that I'm working out this is exactly how I feel for maybe different reasons. I've wasted so much of my life not working out (*is procastination a virtue*) and now I keep looking for the miracle combination to grow. :rolleyes:

Haha I guess you figured out about how long it takes me to start another online journal huh rookiebldr? :D :D

Yep I think so. We all have our traits that make us unique and interesting in some ways. BTW, your previous journal made it over 14,000 views.

Yeah now things with me and Brittany are okay. They werent for a while. I just need to stop being so f*cking immature and start acting like a mature adult. Need to get my insecurities off my mind and really focus on how great Brittany really is. Cherish her more and all that. Shes my baby.

Good to hear this. When are you off to va beach? Is that when you planning your 7 day break from lifting?

MonStar
06-30-2002, 09:24 AM
This likely gave you a great base to build on. I've read / heard this before from others who work so hard they puke, I just figured that I haven't figured out how to apply this level of intensity to the equation.

Yeah this is what I was kind of thinking rookiebldr. Because when I started working out I didnt do too many compound movements. For some reason stuck to a lot of heavy isolative work. I remember doing lots of skulls and EZ-curl bar curls and concentration curls. Not too many squats and all that though.

I know for sure that for some reason I worked all of my musclegroups except my traps. I didnt start training them until maybe 4 years into my bodybuilding career.

Interesting, now that I'm working out this is exactly how I feel for maybe different reasons. I've wasted so much of my life not working out (*is procastination a virtue*) and now I keep looking for the miracle combination to grow. :rolleyes:

Thats is interesting that all of 3 of us kind of feel that way. I feel like I have made good progress but obviously I still want to be bigger, and I still want to be leaner, etc. I think that's just true with everyone though I guess. I mean overall I am happy with my physique I think.

Yep I think so. We all have our traits that make us unique and interesting in some ways. BTW, your previous journal made it over 14,000 views.

Haha thats some crazy a*s sh!t. Guys were like trying to say that I was sitting around at my house all day long pressing the refresh button and sh!t on my computer. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Good to hear this. When are you off to va beach? Is that when you planning your 7 day break from lifting?

I didnt end up going to VA Beach. I was supposed to go with my girlfriend Brittany but I had to act all immature and stupid so we didnt end up going. Nah my 7 days off is in like a month and a half after all 4 of these microcycles. :cool::cool:

MS

MonStar
06-30-2002, 09:31 AM
(view a description of my diet by clicking here (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=242616#post242616), view a description of my training by clicking here (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=242617#post242617), view my current HST rep maxes by clicking here (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=242619#post242619))

HST CYCLE 1 | MICROCYCLE 1 | DAY 2
June 30, 2002

Cardio.
(AM) 20 minutes stationery bike, level 6.
Comments.
Feel pretty good today for the most part I think. Really enjoying HST so far haha I know its only been one workout but I kind of like hitting all of my musclegroups in one workout. I feel like my whole body gets a little pumped up or whatever. I dont know well see.

I was thinking about it today and I am REALLY enjoying myself with this diet / training program. I am going to stick to it I guarantee it simply because I am refeeding every other damn day! And I am also training every other day. I am looking forward to my workout tomorrow like crazy, and my refeed! :p:p
Diet. Isocaloric Day.
Meal 1: Myoplex Low-carb MRP + 1 cup 2% milk
(410 calories, 58g protein, 21g carbs, 11g fat)

Meal 2: 1 slice whole-wheat bread + 2 tbsp. peanut butter + 2 cups skim milk

Meal 3: 3 servings protein + 1 cup 2% milk
(440 calories, 62g protein, 27g carbs, 10g fat)

Meal 4: Protein Plus Powerbar
(180 calories, 16g protein, 20g carbs, 4g fat)

Meal 5: 1/2 cup cashews
(380 calories, 10g protein, 16g carbs, 34g fat)

Meal 6: 1 & 1/2 cups skim milk + 1 tbsp. peanut butter
(210 calories, 16g protein, 22g carbs, 9g fat)

Total Calories: 2010
Total (g) Protein: 189g - 36%
Total (g) Carbs: 146g - 28%
Total (g) Fat: 85g - 36%

My calories were right on track today, carbs low and fat a little higher. I dont think that this is a problem at all to be honest though because I didnt workout today, so extra carbs really were not necessary at all. Might have lost a little muscle glycogen with the lower carbs but Ill refill it tomorrow during my refeed. ;);)
Pain/Soreness.
Pretty sore today actually. My hamstrings are aching!! Some serious DOMS in my hamstrings. Back is pretty sore too and my delts are a little sore. Nothing is extreme I dont think though.
Sleep.
Last night I got 8 hours of sleep. :cool::cool: Good amount of sleep completely uninterrupted. Thats the way that I like it.
Supplements.
5g glutamine (+ 1 Lipodryl & 250 mg. usnic acid) precardio
1g vitamin C 3x today
1 Lipodryl 2x today
Training.
Rest.
Training Length.
N/A.
Water.
Not enough today at all!! tuttuttuttut I dont know what the hell was wrong with me I sweated a lot today and didnt replenish at all. Stupid move.
Weight.
First thing in the morning, without clothes, after using the restroom, I weighed 202.5 lbs. Nice weight today actually really made me feel good. I took in around 3,500 calories yesterday during my refeed which is really a lot and I still managed to drop 3.5 lbs. since yesterday. :thumbup::thumbup:

rookiebldr
06-30-2002, 09:47 AM

I didnt end up going to VA Beach. I was supposed to go with my girlfriend Brittany but I had to act all immature and stupid so we didnt end up going.
MS

Sorry to here that you missed it. Maybe later in the month, besides aren't there good beaches in Del. Seems to me that Dover had beaches.

MonStar
06-30-2002, 09:50 AM
Sorry to here that you missed it. Maybe later in the month, besides aren't there good beaches in Del. Seems to me that Dover had beaches.

Yeah hope so well see how things go.

College is starting like September 3rd I believe which is really going to suck. I dont feel like starting school at all. Need to focus on getting a job and all that right now. Want to work at a gym..

MS

rookiebldr
06-30-2002, 09:58 AM

Yeah hope so well see how things go.

College is starting like September 3rd I believe which is really going to suck. I dont feel like starting school at all. Need to focus on getting a job and all that right now. Want to work at a gym..

MS

You shouldn't have a problem getting into a gym. With your knowledge on supp. you should try a vitamin shoppe or GNC. Some of the ones that I talk to in there seem to know sh*t. Others on the other hand are great.

MonStar
06-30-2002, 07:34 PM
You shouldn't have a problem getting into a gym. With your knowledge on supp. you should try a vitamin shoppe or GNC. Some of the ones that I talk to in there seem to know sh*t. Others on the other hand are great.

Yeah exactly man. All of the local supplement stores around here seem to have old women working at them. Dont ask me why it gets really really annoying though.

I ask if theyre hiring and the old sl*t is like "nope!" Its just such a bunch of bullsh!t.

MS

PowerManDL
06-30-2002, 07:51 PM
I always get that too, but the more I think on it, the more its probably better if I don't work at a supp shop; I mean, I'd be talking people out of buying stuff.

As far as working at a gym, hey, just wear a tight shirt for the interview and its usually good. I think I've got one gig working evernings, and I've got another interview tomorrow where I can hopefully pick up the day shifts at another place.

Blood&Iron
06-30-2002, 08:06 PM
I always get that too, but the more I think on it, the more its probably better if I don't work at a supp shop; I mean, I'd be talking people out of buying stuff.

I tended to do that myself when I worked at GNC. I was a terrible salesman.

As far as working at a gym, hey, just wear a tight shirt for the interview and its usually good.
Man, that's pretty gay.

PowerManDL
06-30-2002, 08:19 PM
Yah, but if it impresses the old lady doing the hiring, then what the hell?

MonStar
06-30-2002, 08:58 PM

Haha thats exactly what I was thinking man! I would be telling people to get the hell outta GNC because theyre overpriced etc. That would drop business and I would end up getting fired.

As far as working at a gym, hey, just wear a tight shirt for the interview and its usually good. I think I've got one gig working evernings, and I've got another interview tomorrow where I can hopefully pick up the day shifts at another place.

I dont know man it seems like all of the gyms I have applied to have skinny or fat guys working there. Guys who have never touched a weight a day in their lives. Pretty stupid if you ask me it really doesnt make sense to me at all. Where do you work at? I was thinking about getting a job working front desk at a hotel. That would be easy I think.

MS

MonStar
06-30-2002, 08:59 PM
I tended to do that myself when I worked at GNC. I was a terrible salesman.

Haha youre pretty much a supplement guru too I can totally imagine you talking people out of buying what they came to buy if you think its ineffective etc. :D:D

MS

gregnb
07-01-2002, 07:20 AM
Get a job as a stock boy at some local store :) Free workouts! Although, It sucked when a f*cking 50lb thing of paper fell 20 ft from the air onto my damn knee!

MonStar
07-01-2002, 09:03 AM
Get a job as a stock boy at some local store :) Free workouts! Although, It sucked when a f*cking 50lb thing of paper fell 20 ft from the air onto my damn knee!

Haha thats okay man I cant be doing that sh!t. I did that back when I was 15-16 years old and hated it. Cant stand doing manual labor I feel like I am not getting paid enough. I either want a gym, supplement store, or maybe a hotel. :D:D

MS

MonStar
07-01-2002, 09:51 AM

HST CYCLE 1 | MICROCYCLE 1 | DAY 3
July 1, 2002

Cardio.
(postworkout) 20 minutes stationery bike, level 6.
Comments.
Feel okay today I guess. Really looking forward to my workout and refeed today actually. Big time looking forward to both. HST workouts are a lot more enjoyable than I remember! Really like them a lot, and the refeeds I think aid in recuperation.

Tonight before bed I felt EXTREMELY fat. This was an extremely bad thing. Usually I feel fat after a binge or something like that not during a refeed. Well see what weight tomorrow is like. Hopefully I didnt gain any fat from today. Calories were right at 4200 which is a little high.

Jesus about to go to sleep and I feel extremely soft and flabby. Definitely believe that I went overboard tonight on my refeed. Very stupid stupid move. Cant get over how stupid I was for doing that to be honest. Should have done somthing like ~3500-3750 calories.
Diet. Refeed Day.
(360 calories, 50g protein, 34g carbs, 2g fat)

Meal 2: 2 cups skim milk + Chewy granola bar
(270 calories, 18g protein, 42g carbs, 5g fat)

Meal 4: 6 Snackwell's cookies + 2 cups skim milk
(490 calories, 19g protein, 84g carbs, 10g fat)

Meal 5: Smart Ones pizza + 1 cup skim milk
(480 calories, 28g protein, 77g carbs, 7g fat)

Meal 6: 2 cups Ben & Jerry's low-fat ice-cream + Vanilla Coke
(930 calories, 16g protein, 198g carbs, 12g fat)

Meal 7: 1 bag Rold Gold pretzels + 2 cups skim milk
(1260 calories, 46g protein, 244g carbs, 11g fat)

Total Calories: 4210
Total (g) Protein: 221g - 21%
Total (g) Carbs: 734g - 69%
Total (g) Fat: 50g - 10%

Calories during my refeed today were a little high actually. Went around 3.5 hours after my workout. Which really wasnt much of a big deal at all. But my I really would like to keep my calories maybe under around ~4000. I am thinking about ranging them from ~3500-4000 calories each day.

If my weight goes up more than maybe ~1-2 lbs. the following morning Ill know that they were a tad too high and lower them a little bit. Well see how things go because refeeding will obviously make my gain a little bit of water weight even though it isnt long in duration at all. I think so at least.
Pain/Soreness.
Hamstrings are still really hurting me badly. Delts are a little sore and my lats are also sore. Not feeling too good. But this is always how it is when I start HST.
Sleep.
Last night I got 8 hours of sleep. ;);) Finally again I got a good amount of sleep. Slept well, but I woke up with my body pouring sweat out. Just a nice little side effect of usnic acid.
Supplements.
1g vitamin C 3x today
1 Lipodryl 1x today
1/2 serving Cell-Tech + 5g creatine + 5g glutamine peptides + 3g l-arginine + 1g ginger + 500 mg. ALA + 250 mg. Aminogen postworkout
Training.
Squats:

260 x 15

Good set of squats today man damn!! Really hit my lower body hard. Totaly breath taking set really took my energy out right away. Wasnt really near failure, however, it was extremely exausting. Kept repping out more and more and more. Felt like 15 reps was so far away haha. Probaby a good 3-4 minute set of squats.

105 x 15

Nice set of SLDLs today! Hit my hamstring very very hard. Stretched out my hams big time at the bottom of every single rep. Really contracted them hard at the top also which was a really good thing. Did again a double overhand grip - I am thinking about moving to a mixed grip. Just because I feel like my grip was getting pretty tired with just 105 lbs. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

220 x 15

Nice set of calf raises today. Really hit my calves hard. Nice slow slow reps really feeling out every single repetition. Hammered my lower legs hard. Good stretch and contraction with every single rep. Good overall set.

Flat Barbell Presses:

155 x 15

Nice set of flat BB presses today. Hit my pecs very hard. Actually some quick reps to be honest. Slowed it down as I finished the set to really feel out the movement. But honestly I am moving such a light amount of weight I feel like I am just going through the motions. Which isnt a good thing at all I have to get of this habit right away.

-80 x 15

Some awesome back contractions today! Really hit my lats very very hard really contraction my lats 100%. Totally flexed my lats throughout every single rep. Good overall set. Nice tension in my lats throughout the entire set. Good overall set without a doubt.

Flat Dumbbell Flyes:

20 x 15

Good set of flyes today! Hammered the hell out of my pecs. Good slow set really feeling the exercise 100%. Squeezed my pecs extremely hard with every single rep. Like the lower weights a lot more for flat DB flyes I think. I can really feel the movement a lot more. Thats what I think at least.

130 x 15

Awesome set of supported rows today holy sh!t. Havnt contracted my lats this hard in a long, long time. Really squeezed my lats 100% with every single rep. These kind of contractions tend to exaust my lats extremely fast. Really hammering my lats and midback and exausting my back completely.

High Pulls:

80 x 15

Really good set of high pulls today. Used a little bit wider than a shoulder-width grip. Hit my traps and my side delts extremely, extremely, hard. Hammered both completely and efficiently. Great overall set. Love this exercise.

Standing Barbell Curls:

65 x 15

Nice set of standing BB curls today! Lactic acid buildup was unreal to be honest. Not nearing failure but still a tough set for only being my second workout in this microcycle. Oh well, again nice pump and good burn in my biceps.

90 x 15

Good set of skulls today, really fried my triceps 100%. A pretty easy set to be honest. Not even close to difficult. Feeling very strong on skulls lately. During my 4th microcycle I am hoping to get up to around 150-160 lbs. skulls. Haha that sounds unreal when I think about it but anything is possible right? :cool::cool:

50 x 15

Nice set of reverse curls today! Hit my brachialis and brachioradialis very hard. Nice vascularity in my forearms thats really impressive to me. Hopefully HST will help me lean out a lot. Thats what I am hoping for at least. Well see how things go. Good set.

Machine Crunches:

115 x 15

Nice way to finish off my workout today. Good burn, nice hard contractions in my abdominals. Midsection was pretty exausted after just this one single set. That was a good thing in my eyes. Nice overall set. Hit abs hard.
Training Length.
Lasted 40 minutes today. Good length, nice and brief with short rest periods.
Water.
Good intake of water today actually. More than usual which was a really really good thing in my eyes. :thumbup::thumbup:
Weight.
First thing in the morning, without clothes, after using the restroom, I weighed 200 lbs. Not a bad weight at all I dont think. I am down 2.5 lbs. from yesterday which is a really good thing I think. :D:D

Johnny Vegas
07-01-2002, 10:52 AM
What is a "High Pull"? I've seen a few members refer to it, and eiter I've never heard of it, or I call it something else. I'd be interested in possily throwing them into my new routine.

MonStar
07-01-2002, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Johnny Vegas
What is a "High Pull"? I've seen a few members refer to it, and eiter I've never heard of it, or I call it something else. I'd be interested in possily throwing them into my new routine.

A high pull is a very simple, yet effective exercise for hitting your delts and traps. Basically all it really is a powerful version of the upright row. You take a double overhand grip, around shoulder-width or a little wider.

You start the movement by powerfully pulling the bar to right around nipple level. Be sure to flare your elbows out to the sides. This movement will really fry your side delts and your traps. Yeah I would recommend them 100%. If your wrists start to bother you you could try a cambered-bar. :cool::cool:

MS

GeneticallyGifted
07-01-2002, 05:05 PM
What happened to the other journal?? Why are you writing in this one?? What is going on??

MarshallPenn
07-01-2002, 10:19 PM
So how is a high pull different than an upright row?

MonStar
07-01-2002, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by AFreakyMutation
What happened to the other journal?? Why are you writing in this one?? What is going on??

I dropped my other journal a few days ago actually. Only because I decided to switch up my program real quick. Doing some HST right now. And if I like it, I will definitely go through a few HST cycles until I stop getting results with it. Both other times I tried HST I got good results.

Well see how things go.

MS

MonStar
07-01-2002, 11:10 PM
So how is a high pull different than an upright row?

A high pull is a more explosive powerful exercise. Most upright rows are also done with a closer grip, generally speaking. High pulls are a pretty quick movement that are done hitting my side delts and traps extremely hard. Using a shoulder-width grip or a little bit wider.

The only real difference is that a high pull is more explosive, etc. :):)

MS

Marcel
07-02-2002, 12:11 AM
Mike I went from 180 to 183 in 1 day when I had a lil carb-up...all I had was a coulple bowls of cereal, skim milk, and a bowl of frozen yogurt. Tomorrow I'll see how much I drop down to...prolly 181.

MonStar
07-02-2002, 08:28 AM
Mike I went from 180 to 183 in 1 day when I had a lil carb-up...all I had was a coulple bowls of cereal, skim milk, and a bowl of frozen yogurt. Tomorrow I'll see how much I drop down to...prolly 181.

Really 3 lbs. huh Marcel? That sounds about right. I would say that anything over ~3-4 lbs. would probably end up being fat gain dont you think? I posted a thread in it in the diet board curious to see what everyone's responses are. Well see.

Took in 4200 calories last night which was definitely high. Only gained a lbs. though which is pretty surprising.

MS

MonStar
07-02-2002, 08:45 AM

HST CYCLE 1 | MICROCYCLE 1 | DAY 4
July 2, 2002

Cardio.
(AM) 20 minutes stationery bike, level 6.
Comments.
So far at this point in my HST cycle I am really really enjoying it. I am just hoping that with refeeding every other day I am not gaining fat etc. I hope not at least. Going to try and take in something like ~4000 calories on refeed days and ~2000 on isocaloric days. Honestly I think this huge cycling of calories should stimulate my metabolism.

I am just hoping that maybe I have stumbled upon the exact ratio that allows me to lose maybe ~1-2 lbs. of fat per week and gain some size and strength too. I think that it might do that to be honest. If I gain lets say one pound of water weight from refeeding, then lose 1.5 lbs on isocaloric days (1 lbs. water + 1/2 lbs. fat) then maybe Ill end up losing 1-2 lbs. per week. To be honest I would be happy with even a pound of fat per week.
Diet. Isocaloric Day.
Meal 1: Myoplex Low-carb MRP + 1 cup skim milk
(370 calories, 58g protein, 21g carbs, 6g fat)

Meal 2: 1 slice whole-wheat bread + 2 tbsp. peanut butter + 2 cups skim milk

CHEATED! Like some damn fool. :mad::mad:

tuttuttuttut I dont know what the hell I was thinking. It is over now so I am not going to go on some dumba*s guilt trip. I dont have the time or patience of that bullsh!t. Stupid move, Ill learn. Not dropping the jounral though.

Ate pizza and Chinese food like some big fat slob. Binged on high-fat and high-carbs. Haha I am sure Ill weigh a good 205-208 lbs. tomorrow. Hopefully not for long though. I am basically wasting this usnic acid because I dont know how it works because all I am doing is cheating on my diet like some f*cking fat d!ck. :redface::redface:

Total Calories: Too f*cking high!
Total (g) Protein: Too f*cking high!
Total (g) Carbs: Too f*cking high!
Total (g) Fat: Too f*cking high!
Pain/Soreness.
Not really that sore today I dont think. Hamstrings are still a little sore to be honest. Lats are a tad sore, and nothing else is really that bad I dont think.
Sleep.
Last night I got 8 hours of sleep. :thumbup::thumbup: Good amount, and really slept well too.
Supplements.
5g glutamine (+ 1 Lipodryl & 250 mg. usnic acid) precardio
1g vitamin C 3x today
1 Lipodryl 2x today
Training.
Rest.
Training Length.
N/A.
Water.
Good amount I think today.
Weight.
First thing in the morning, without clothes, after using the restroom, I weighed 201 lbs. Good weight I think to be honest. Gained a lbs. from yesterday's refeed which was actually a lot less than I expected. Going to keep my calories for tomorrow's refeed right around maybe ~3500-4000. This way hopefully this wont hinder fat loss. Around 2000 calories, one day, then 4000, averaging about 3000 calories per day. I think that I can lose fat at that many calories, well see.

GeneticallyGifted
07-02-2002, 10:33 AM
What happen to stickin' to the plan no matter what? What was all of that? Man, you aren't going to get consistent gains if you don't stick with a plan! I thought that you were going to stay with that plan for atleast 6 months to a year? If you didn't say that please correct me.

MonStar
07-02-2002, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by AFreakyMutation
What happen to stickin' to the plan no matter what? What was all of that? Man, you aren't going to get consistent gains if you don't stick with a plan! I thought that you were going to stay with that plan for atleast 6 months to a year? If you didn't say that please correct me.

Yeah I know it was a stupid move.

But I dont know though I mean I think HST is producing excellent results for me to be honest. I always feel like I am leaning out while following HST. Seems to really jumpstart my metabolism.

Yeah I know HST is what I am going to stick with. I am going to stick with it NO MATTER what. Thats the bottom line.

MS

rookiebldr
07-02-2002, 10:42 AM

It's better than going in and asking a clerks opinion on something and then they just shrug and say "I don't know". I experienced this recently at a vitamin shoppe. The guy behind the counter was huge but not very helpful. PowerMan, this is exactly the information I'm looking for from the people that work there. I can go into one of my local supp stores and ask them about stuff, they have usually read the ingredients, may even have tried most of the stuff they sell, know the different between the various powders and can usually steer me to something that is cheaper, maybe tastier and as effective. It does depend on the store and clerks. The local Musclemag store has some clerks who are only out to get the most money while the other clerks in the same store are great with the discounts (they are so overpriced without them).

I hope this worked out for you.

rookiebldr
07-02-2002, 10:43 AM
MonStar-
Well done on the refeed. Not too over-the-top this time.

MonStar
07-02-2002, 01:37 PM
It's better than going in and asking a clerks opinion on something and then they just shrug and say "I don't know". I experienced this recently at a vitamin shoppe. The guy behind the counter was huge but not very helpful. PowerMan, this is exactly the information I'm looking for from the people that work there. I can go into one of my local supp stores and ask them about stuff, they have usually read the ingredients, may even have tried most of the stuff they sell, know the different between the various powders and can usually steer me to something that is cheaper, maybe tastier and as effective. It does depend on the store and clerks. The local Musclemag store has some clerks who are only out to get the most money while the other clerks in the same store are great with the discounts (they are so overpriced without them).

Gotta agree rookiebldr. :):)

I can never ever ever rely on the person working at a supplement store to give me reliable, good advice. Thats actually a damn shame to be honest.

MS

MonStar
07-02-2002, 01:39 PM
MonStar-
Well done on the refeed. Not too over-the-top this time.

Thanks man. The only problem is that I feel so f*cking fat right now! Not really sure why or what the problem is. Probably psycological to be honest. I am just starting to thinking that I went a little overboard or maybe I am refeeding too often.

I dont know well see what happens. Going to give this way of eating maybe a good 2 weeks and see how its working then.

MS

Marcel
07-02-2002, 11:50 PM
Mike, time to move on, time to be strong.

MonStar
07-02-2002, 11:55 PM
Mike, time to move on, time to be strong.

Haha man I am listening to that song. :D:D

... Don't stop now straight to the top now,
Someone who truly understands, how to treat a man,
This is what I need...
Girl you made me believe again,
If you happy then be with him, go 'head mommy breathe again
Go 'head mommy breathe again, don't stop now straight to the top now

Pretty phat song for P. Diddy if you ask me. Like it a lot.

MS

rookiebldr
07-03-2002, 12:00 AM
MonStar-
I think I need to take back my earlier comment about the refeed. ;) Tomorrow's a new day er I mean today.

MonStar
07-03-2002, 12:02 AM
MonStar-
I think I need to take back my earlier comment about the refeed. ;) Tomorrow's a new day er I mean today.

Haha yeah man its all good though. Youre exactly right man tomorrow is a new day. :thumbup::thumbup:

Its time to be strong.

MS

MonStar
07-03-2002, 12:03 AM
Marcel-
These are some phat lyrics I dont know if you like them or not.

You could die from love, at any given time I could die from slugs,
But that's what this life is capable of,
The death and the life of a bitch and a thug, is what I'm scared of,
But God up in Heaven who ain't afraid to, tuck the toast in the Escalade,
Pop on n!ggas that showin me shade, but only for the Rule 'cause that's my baby,
Got me a down ass bitch with red hair, that don't care
Blazed by the shots and flares,
Girl c'mon, follow me, and bust back at police, conceal ya heat,
It's a bit much to blaze up, Rule and Chuck, N-I-G, the Murderous, I-N-C,
With one on the hip, one in the holster, n!gga will toast ya quick
Especially a down ass bitch

MS

Marcel
07-03-2002, 12:22 AM
Yea of course. Ja Rule is tight.

MonStar
07-03-2002, 12:29 AM
Yea of course. Ja Rule is tight.

Hell yeah man. I think I like all of the Ja Rule songs. I guess its just his voice or something because every now and then his lyrics will suck and Ill still like the song. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

MS

gregnb
07-03-2002, 07:58 AM
We should put a fund together so we can fly out the biggest guy off the wbb forum to Monstar's to whip his ass everytime he cheats :p :p

MarshallPenn
07-03-2002, 08:16 AM
Where is Monstar? No recent posts. That can't be good.

MonStar
07-03-2002, 09:40 AM
We should put a fund together so we can fly out the biggest guy off the wbb forum to Monstar's to whip his ass everytime he cheats :p :p

Hehe thats pretty much what I need to be honest. Cheated like a damn a*shole dont know what the f*ck I was thinking. Sometimes I just cant figure out what the hell is really going through my head to be honest. I mean seriously its summer time, and I cheated on my diet like a fat slob.

This kind of bullsh!t cannot be happening again. It really really cant. I am refeeding every other day!! How can I be cheating too..? :mad::mad:

MS

MonStar
07-03-2002, 09:41 AM
Where is Monstar? No recent posts. That can't be good.

Im still around Marshall dont worry about it. Cheated on my diet last night which was very very stupid. Idiot moron move on my part. Cant believe how stupid I was for doing that. :redface::redface:

MS

MonStar
07-03-2002, 10:06 AM

HST CYCLE 1 | MICROCYCLE 1 | DAY 5
July 3, 2002

Cardio.
(postworkout)
Comments.
Very down on myself today. Not only did I feel like a fat piece of sh!t slob but I cant believe that I cheated. I just cant get over it. I know that its just food and I should just move on etc. I do have to look forward. This is it though I am serious I cant be doing this to myself anymore. Cheating then feeling like sh!t. tuttuttuttut
Diet. Refeed Day.
(360 calories, 50g protein, 33g carbs, 3g fat)

Meal 2: 1 slice whole-wheat bread + 1 tbsp. tarter sauce + smoked ham
(200 calories, 23g protein, 15g carbs, 9g fat)

Meal 3: 1 slice whole-wheat bread + 1 tbsp. peanut butter + 1 cup skim milk
(210 calories, 15g protein, 25g carbs, 9g fat)

Meal 5:
(calories, protein, carbs, fat)

Total Calories:
Total (g) Protein:
Total (g) Carbs:
Total (g) Fat:
Pain/Soreness.
Not really that sore today. Hams are still a tad sore but nothing too big of a deal I dont think.
Sleep.
Last night I got 8 hours of sleep. :cool::cool: Good amount today. I had some extremely wacked out dreams though holy f*cking sh!t. Crazy a*s dreams.
Supplements.
1g vitamin C 3x today
1 Lipodryl 1x today
Training.
Squats:

Flat Barbell Presses:

Flat Dumbbell Flyes:

High Pulls:

Standing Barbell Curls:

Machine Crunches:
Training Length.
Lasted
Water.
Weight.
First thing in the morning, without clothes, after using the restroom, I weighed 205.5 lbs. Very dissapointed in myself. Cheated on my diet last night. :(:( Its just sickening to think that I could be refeeding every other day and still have some kind of want to cheat. I guess we all make mistakes. Time to move on.

faus
07-03-2002, 10:31 AM

Cheated on my diet last night which was very very stupid. Idiot moron move on my part. Cant believe how stupid I was for doing that. :redface::redface:

MS
Hey MonStar
I've never posted to your journal, but I've followed it for a while and really heed the comments that you, B&I, MarshallPenn, PowerManDL, and others say, so don't take these comments as negative criticism. There's nothing but support coming from this end :)
I've followed many of your days (though not every day through EVERY ;) one of your journals) and was wondering about your diet. In one of your journals someone made the comment about all the supps you take. It seems that on your isocaloric days, you eat hardly any "real" food. At ~2100 calories on those iso days, you should still be able to eat a piece of lean steak, chicken, fatty fish, or something for one meal and stay within bounds.
Don't get down on yourself. When you feel guilty about cheating, use that energy to positively re-dedicate yourself and you won't fail!
Keep up the good work.

MonStar
07-03-2002, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by faus
Hey MonStar
I've never posted to your journal, but I've followed it for a while and really heed the comments that you, B&I, MarshallPenn, PowerManDL, and others say, so don't take these comments as negative criticism. There's nothing but support coming from this end :)

Thanks a lot for the post faus really appreciate the support man, seriously. I encourage you to post in my journal with comments / suggestions etc. Again your support is definitely appreciated. I see that its your 2nd post here at WBB, welcome aboard. ;);)

I've followed many of your days (though not every day through EVERY ;) one of your journals) and was wondering about your diet. In one of your journals someone made the comment about all the supps you take. It seems that on your isocaloric days, you eat hardly any "real" food. At ~2100 calories on those iso days, you should still be able to eat a piece of lean steak, chicken, fatty fish, or something for one meal and stay within bounds.

Thanks a lot for following my journal faus its seriously very very appreciated. Yeah I do take a good number of supplements. Some vitamins and minerals and ALA and creatine, glutamine, etc. On isocaloric days I dont eat too much real food which maybe isnt the best way to go. I eat a MRP first thing in the morning, then some skim milk with wheat bread and peanut butter. Etc.

Yeah I guess I should try to include some more real food. Thank you very much for the suggestion.

Don't get down on yourself. When you feel guilty about cheating, use that energy to positively re-dedicate yourself and you won't fail! Keep up the good work.

Yeah I know I have to stop cheating on my diet, to stop getting down on myself. Yeah I know youre right man I end up red-dedicating myself to dieting etc. I get so down on myself thinking "what the F*CK were you thinking you fat piece of sh!t?" Then I just feel horrible and it takes a lot to get me back into it.

MS

Otter
07-03-2002, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by faus
It seems that on your isocaloric days, you eat hardly any "real" food. At ~2100 calories on those iso days, you should still be able to eat a piece of lean steak, chicken, fatty fish, or something for one meal and stay within bounds.

I said something about that once before. Your diet is causing your cravings, nothing else. You deprive your body of any decent amount of real food and then you binge and it's fu*king with your system. If you get on a consistent diet and monitor it closely, you won't need to binge and your cravings will die down considerably. Instead of having binge days ("refeed" as many call it), get on a steady diet of 2500-3000 cals per day, split up between 5 or 6 meals (at 500-600 cals per meal), get some real solid food in you and I'll bet that you'll feel better about your diet and yourself.

If you stick with your current diet, you only need one thing .... WILL POWER!!! You keep feeling fat and thinking you're a fat piece of $hit, that should tell you something ... it's time to change something. Don't rely on supps. to do what you can do with a steady diet. Get it together man, you have some serious strength potential, don't let your lack of will power hold you down.

tuttut :)

MonStar
07-03-2002, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Otter
I said something about that once before. Your diet is causing your cravings, nothing else. You deprive your body of any decent amount of real food and then you binge and it's fu*king with your system. If you get on a consistent diet and monitor it closely, you won't need to binge and your cravings will die down considerably. Instead of having binge days ("refeed" as many call it), get on a steady diet of 2500-3000 cals per day, split up between 5 or 6 meals (at 500-600 cals per meal), get some real solid food in you and I'll bet that you'll feel better about your diet and yourself.

Yeah I am going to try and bring into play some more real food. Like chicken and turkey and everything like that. It makes sense why I binge a little bit. But honestly with me refeeding every other day there is no excuse for a binge. I mean honestly its a lot of fun and I enjoy eating on my refeed days. Thats the bottom line.

There is no excuse for me binging when I am refeeding so f*cking often. Thats just a lack of willpower and just a disgusting thought to be honest. I am not going to let my will power like you said just f*ck up everything else. It messes up my workouts, and it f*cks with my head too much.

If you stick with your current diet, you only need one thing .... WILL POWER!!! You keep feeling fat and thinking you're a fat piece of $hit, that should tell you something ... it's time to change something. Don't rely on supps. to do what you can do with a steady diet. Get it together man, you have some serious strength potential, don't let your lack of will power hold you down.

tuttut :)

I know that this diet takes some will power youre right. But I feel liky my strength really soars with it once I am on track with this diet. Fat gradually drops off and I feel like my strength just goes up and up and up in the gym. I mean honestly that is what's important if you ask me.

Just need to get my sh!t together and stop being a little f*cking baby who cant stick to a motherf*cking diet. I need to get serious and stop making excuses and stop f*cking d!cking around. :redface::redface:

MS

HK
07-10-2002, 12:35 PM
:D