PDA

View Full Version : Heck of a meet being streamed live

chris mason
11-03-2012, 01:06 PM
Supertraining Gym is hosting a great meet today.

Stan Efferding is opening with a 900 lbs raw squat (knee wraps and belt only). Our own Eric Lilliebridge will be competing in the same class and looking to put up some huge numbers. Eric Spoto will be opening with the raw bench record of 716 lbs. Just some crazy stuff!

Here is the link to the live stream:

http://supertraining.tv/live/

Alex.V
11-03-2012, 01:50 PM
This is awesome. Congrats to Eric, just watched a huge squat! (WR, if I heard right, and smashed it)

(The poorly-timed ads mid-lift need to go)

Murderous
11-03-2012, 03:25 PM
Eric had a good day, Lilly squatted 800+, Stan bombed, Ernie did pretty good. Besides Spoto's bench there will be a lot of big deadlifts coming up.

Brian Hopper
11-03-2012, 08:11 PM
I'm not 100% sure, but I think Spoto bombed out of the meet.

ScottYard
11-04-2012, 06:40 AM
Any one know what happened with Stan?

chris mason
11-04-2012, 02:02 PM
Efferding was supposed to open with 900+ which made no sense to me. His best competiition was 850 something lbs and he plans to open with over 900? Anyway, I saw his 3rd attempt with what I assume was his opener and he missed it.

Eric went for 904 lbs and did not miss it by much (he hit a meet PR of I think 859 lbs).

Brandon Lilly had a very good meet and hit 2,204 lbs raw.

chris mason
11-04-2012, 02:05 PM
By the way, same deal with Spoto. I don't think he should have opened with 716 lbs. Why not get in the meet and get his confidence? In any event, I think if he starts training more like a powerlifter he will smoke the 716 lbs+ sometime soon.

xolix
11-04-2012, 03:04 PM
By the way, same deal with Spoto. I don't think he should have opened with 716 lbs. Why not get in the meet and get his confidence? In any event, I think if he starts training more like a powerlifter he will smoke the 716 lbs+ sometime soon.

you mean conjugate ? i know only something about his training from the powermag... its a lot of heavy raw benching like hoornstra for example.

Brian Hopper
11-04-2012, 04:43 PM
I agree, I'm not sure why both lifters opened up so heavy. I can see maybe Spoto making that mistake because he is stil new to competing, but you would think Stan would of known better.

Does anyone know how Eric L. finished the meet? Did his pec hold up? I saw where he injured his pec about 10 days out from the meet.

chris mason
11-04-2012, 05:11 PM
you mean conjugate ? i know only something about his training from the powermag... its a lot of heavy raw benching like hoornstra for example.

Well, in what I would consider the ideal world, yes. It seems to me his training is much more bodybuilding oriented than powerlifting oriented especially in the sense he seems to never really work up to training 1RM attempts. I could be wrong as I am only going off of the training videos I have seen and heard about.

chris mason
11-04-2012, 05:14 PM
I agree, I'm not sure why both lifters opened up so heavy. I can see maybe Spoto making that mistake because he is stil new to competing, but you would think Stan would of known better.

Does anyone know how Eric L. finished the meet? Did his pec hold up? I saw where he injured his pec about 10 days out from the meet.

Yeah, he said he thinks he did 2,120. He squatted 859 lbs for a PR and then just missed 904 lbs. He only worked up to 450 something in the bench due to the pec issue. He then pulled 804 lbs saying the last squat attempt just took too much out of him.

Murderous
11-04-2012, 09:40 PM
I think on Eric's 2nd or 3rd attempt he was pressing 500+ and the he hit the racks and it threw him off balance. Eric S was strangely missing the weights just before lockout. He sure did look good for 700 though. Stan skipped his open 904 and lost balance on his 2nd, failed his 3rd. Dan cut weight for the meet and his strength wasn't there. Babyslayer did an easy 804 but failed I think 850-870 because his callus tore. Vince missed 440 kilos on the deadlift. The meet was 11-12 hrs long because of amateur lifters competing. Petegot his first attempt deadlift that was 770+ and he squatted over 600, he probably would've done better if there were some washing machines in the background. Looked like a bad day for most of the pros except Brandon and Eric L.

Eric S opened with 716 because Mark promised him 5,500 in cash if he broke Mendy's WR.

ThomasG
11-04-2012, 10:00 PM
The length of the meet alone would be exhausting. There should have been some pre-qualifications or invite only. I know the more sign ups the more money but a 12 hour meet is too long.

chris mason
11-04-2012, 10:15 PM
I think on Eric's 2nd or 3rd attempt he was pressing 500+ and the he hit the racks and it threw him off balance. Eric S was strangely missing the weights just before lockout. He sure did look good for 700 though. Stan skipped his open 904 and lost balance on his 2nd, failed his 3rd. Dan cut weight for the meet and his strength wasn't there. Babyslayer did an easy 804 but failed I think 850-870 because his callus tore. Vince missed 440 kilos on the deadlift. The meet was 11-12 hrs long because of amateur lifters competing. Petegot his first attempt deadlift that was 770+ and he squatted over 600, he probably would've done better if there were some washing machines in the background. Looked like a bad day for most of the pros except Brandon and Eric L.

Eric S opened with 716 because Mark promised him 5,500 in cash if he broke Mendy's WR.

I know that he was promised money, but that doesn't mean he had to do it on the first attempt.

In any event, lifter's choice.

Regarding Stan, I just don't get it. He had a chance for a monster total. Why not get in the meet with say 870 lbs or something and then go for the gusto?

Ahhh well, there will be other meets. Both men are crazy strong. I hope they get the records.

RFabsik
11-05-2012, 10:53 PM
Anybody know where a summary of the results are?

Haven't seen any updates on Supertraining.TV yet. I'm sure they'll have a synopsis in a few days. I was just ansy to see the numbers.

chris mason
11-05-2012, 10:59 PM
I've just seen individual lifter's information on their FB pages.

BloodandThunder
11-06-2012, 09:16 AM
The length of the meet alone would be exhausting. There should have been some pre-qualifications or invite only. I know the more sign ups the more money but a 12 hour meet is too long.

A 12 hour meet should be broken into sessions by weightclass. Women/LWs and MWs/HWs later or a split to make the sessions doable depending on entries. This way you're not squatting, then sitting around for 3-4 hours and the same for pulls. Plus, if you're in the afternoon session, you can sleep in and swing by as you please. It seems this is a problem with meets that don't abide by a strict 1 minute rule since it's very hard to accurately predict a starting time for an afternoon session.

Invain
11-07-2012, 10:29 AM
A 12 hour meet should be broken into sessions by weightclass. Women/LWs and MWs/HWs later or a split to make the sessions doable depending on entries. This way you're not squatting, then sitting around for 3-4 hours and the same for pulls. Plus, if you're in the afternoon session, you can sleep in and swing by as you please. It seems this is a problem with meets that don't abide by a strict 1 minute rule since it's very hard to accurately predict a starting time for an afternoon session.

I agree, unless you went even further and split the meet up into two days, maybe separate amateurs from elite lifters, or split up age groups/weight groups. 12 hours is way too long, I would be pretty pissed competing in something like that. Sitting around for hours between lifts does not help totals. A couple of the meets I've done in the past were pretty long; by the time you get to deads you start feeling pretty tired/lethargic.

BloodandThunder
11-07-2012, 10:48 AM
I agree, unless you went even further and split the meet up into two days, maybe separate amateurs from elite lifters, or split up age groups/weight groups. 12 hours is way too long, I would be pretty pissed competing in something like that. Sitting around for hours between lifts does not help totals. A couple of the meets I've done in the past were pretty long; by the time you get to deads you start feeling pretty tired/lethargic.

They had the Women's Pro AM I believe the next morning and I believe this was a basic meet like year's past, just that the Dan Green's, Spotos, Efferdings, Lilliebridges of the world committed to it so I don't think Bell just wanted to make it an invitational meet. They could have done lightweights in the morning and heavies/middles later since just about everyone competing that people would have tuned into seeing or drove up to see was 220+

Also about Spoto's 3 attempts. I can understand why he did it (although it seems the meet timing really threw him off). He seemed to be out of his normal bench groove and I attribute that to his first attempt.
1) He's bench only so getting into the meet is useless to him (unlike Efferding who could have opened 850 or so to still have a shot at the WR total)
2) He's benching for $5500 in cash if he gets the 716+. He did 675 in the warmup so hitting that on that platform is useless to him (no PR either), although this is what I would have done just to get in tune to the meet.
3) Hitting something closer to 700 or 705 for a small PR might have tired him out
4) I didn't see any prize money being offered for biggest bench so securing that with 650+ was not an issue

Either way, he's got a bright future and will most likely make decent change going around bench meets, hitting an opener and winning some cash.