PDA

View Full Version : First competition next weekend, how to warm up

DontTakeEmOff31
11-04-2012, 01:37 PM
So I've got my first competition next weekend (RPS federation at Stony Brook, Junior 220) and was hoping to get some advice on warming up. My numbers I'm planning are...

Squat: 365/405/435
Bench: 250/295/310
Deadlift: 455/525/555

I was going to warm up to my opener and stop there, is this the right thing to do or should I go all the way to my second attempt weight. I'm looking forward to getting the first meet under my belt.

chris mason
11-04-2012, 02:00 PM
So those are your attempts in order?

Yes, warm-up such that your opener would be your next set if you were training.

Brian Hopper
11-04-2012, 06:54 PM
I agree with what Chris said.

Have fun and good luck!

theBarzeen
11-04-2012, 08:42 PM
I agree with Chris, just take what you would take in training before your opener set.
It sounded like you were asking if you should take your opener in the warm up room though..... NO. Have confidence that you can hit the numbers you called and go do it.

After that, it's all personal preference. Some guys like lots of sets, some guys ( myself included) like to warm up with the bar then take the minimum number of sets to get to their opening weight.

The best thing you can do for your first contest... and listen closely, this is really important.

... Don't do anything different from what you do for a heavy training day...
Eat normally, warm up the same, take the same pre-workout supplements. If that's what it takes to do the weight in the gym, don't mess it up by eating something weird that'll make you crap yourself
don't warm up like competitor xyz does because you aren't xyz
and don't shotgun 4 red bulls if you don't normally do that.

Just go out and have fun.
Good luck.

DontTakeEmOff31
11-05-2012, 09:25 AM
Thanks guys. I was planning on doing my opener once in warmup, wasn't sure if the opener was done in warm up or not, I'll leave that out now. I'm very confident with the weights I've selected, I'm just nervous about competiting for the first time.

Brian Hopper
11-05-2012, 10:40 AM
I wouldn't recommend doing your opener in the warmup room, save it for the platform. Smart choice by changing your mind on that, lol. Don't let your head get to involved. Pretend like its another day in the gym. I'm usually pretty nervous on all my first attempts, after that I'm good. Also, remember to have fun!

Chris Rodgers
11-05-2012, 11:15 AM
Hey man, I'm competing in the same meet! Everyone gave good advice. Absolutely no need to do your openers in the warmup room. If you are confident in your attempts then just save it for the platform.

Try your best to do what you normally do. Eat what you normally eat before you train, drink what you normally drink during training, take your normal warmups before a heavy lift, etc. Just pay attention during the rules briefing and make sure you listen to the commands on the platform. If you have any questions at the meet don't be afraid to ask. Almost Everyone is always very helpful and supportive at a powerlifting meet.

ScottYard
11-05-2012, 02:43 PM
I would do your self and make your openers very low. I would knock 15-20 lbs off your current choices just to be safe. A first meet is all about learning and finishing. Since its your first meet whatever you do will be a PR.

Good Luck

DontTakeEmOff31
11-05-2012, 03:06 PM
Thanks everyone, I was planning on eating how I usually eat (CBL) and maybe a little caffeine before lifting, I tend to get very jittery from caffeine and I know I'll already be nervous (I use NO-XPLODE pre workout) so I might limit it to coffee.

I would do your self and make your openers very low. I would knock 15-20 lbs off your current choices just to be safe. A first meet is all about learning and finishing. Since its your first meet whatever you do will be a PR.

Good Luck

I could do that, no problem lowering my openers. Currently they are less than my 5 RM in training, would you still advise to lower them?

Justin Randal
11-05-2012, 04:27 PM
Thanks everyone, I was planning on eating how I usually eat (CBL) and maybe a little caffeine before lifting, I tend to get very jittery from caffeine and I know I'll already be nervous (I use NO-XPLODE pre workout) so I might limit it to coffee.

I could do that, no problem lowering my openers. Currently they are less than my 5 RM in training, would you still advise to lower them?
If they are that low no. Sounds like you have made good choicse to start with.

Brian Hopper
11-05-2012, 04:54 PM
Your opener is something you should be able to hit for at least 2-3 reps on any given day. So ask yourself if you can do that with the openers you picked. If not, then lower them like Scott mentioned. Remember, this is your first meet, so make it a good one.

ScottYard
11-07-2012, 05:45 PM
Just be smart and don't plan on besting a gym pr in your opener. Guys who do that bomb. Focus on going 9 for 9 and learning.

DontTakeEmOff31
11-08-2012, 05:44 AM
Thanks again for the advice everyone. My openers are numbers I can 5 Rep at the very least, so I think i'll keep them where they are at.

Hey man, I'm competing in the same meet! Everyone gave good advice. Absolutely no need to do your openers in the warmup room. If you are confident in your attempts then just save it for the platform.

Where you able to get a hotel? I'm staying with a friend now, just glad that they didn't cancel.

Brian Hopper
11-08-2012, 06:16 AM
My openers are numbers I can 5 Rep at the very least

Then you shouldn't have a problem, lol. Good luck bro!!!

Chris Rodgers
11-08-2012, 06:23 AM
Where you able to get a hotel? I'm staying with a friend now, just glad that they didn't cancel.

I actually live in the next town over haha. I was so excited when I heard Gene was running a meet here. I could go home between lifts if I wanted to. :cool:

Our numbers are pretty close so we'll probably be near each other in the flight(s). If you need any help with anything just let me know.