PDA

View Full Version : Serious Fat Burn without the Diet??

Rooster77
07-01-2002, 10:11 AM
Okay, here is my question. I am a fairly well built guy, I am 215 lbs, 5'11", can bench press 240 lbs. I have ALWAYS had like 15 lbs around my gut that I just cannot loose!!
I have taken the ECA stack for years and it just does not do anything for me anymore, I am off the stack for at least 4 months now. Currently I take Creatine and L-Glutamine.
I have tried the 6 meal a day thing and find I just gain more weight. Now really, I know that my diet is horrible. I am sure that is the real answer. But! Knowing how I am busy working, on the road a lot, etc. I will not take the time to make 6oz of lean chicken...etc...etc....
I guess what I am looking for, is that what do all you people use that is quick, effortless diet and nutrition....
I really want to shed like 15 lbs of excess weight, I have no probs at the gym, pounding away, making gains, but I just need to bust that gut!!!
HELP ME!!!! please!

NateDogg
07-01-2002, 10:40 AM
Are you serious? Change your diet and if you want, do some cardio. If you will not take time to change your diet, you will not lose fat.

Rooster77
07-01-2002, 10:53 AM
I know!! Yes I am serious!! I guess what I am looking for is the reassurance that yes, there is no miracle supplement. No, you must change diet! I really do not want to step up cardio.... the other problem I have is that for years and years now I have built my upper body and I used to do a lot of cardio. The problem is that my legs are very toned, in fact I working out legs twice per week right now, trying to bulk them up so they will match my upper body. I am afraid that more cardio will only tone my legs some more.
Well I wonder if there are any easy loose fat, gain muscle diets that members can recommend that worked for them?
Thanks.

Goin_Big
07-01-2002, 11:18 AM
first off, working legs twice a week will not bulk them up. More work doesn't equal more gain, remember, less is more.

If you wanna lose weight fast, you could go low carbs, although you may lose muscle.

WannaBeStrong
07-01-2002, 12:02 PM
Two times a week is fine for someone who has detrained legs, but after a few months I will suggest switching to once a week.

Rooster77
07-01-2002, 12:36 PM
I think I am good with the twice a week right now, That philospohy has always worked for me. The other reason for the twice per week is that I work out at two gyms, there in one Gym on-site at my work and another raquet club across the road from work. I work out 5 days per week, every lunch hour. Each gym has it strengths. Gym at work has great universal equipment but little to no freeweight, the gym across the road is kind of the opposite. But anyway, Here is what I end up doing for legs.

Day 1 - Monday (raquet club)
Squats (freeweight Barbell) - 4 sets
3 sets moderate to heavy weights - 10-12 reps
1 set - Heavy weight - 6-8 reps
Sled Lying Leg Press - 3 sets, 8-10 reps
Leg Extensions - 3 sets, 8-10 reps, (sometimes 6 reps, heavy)
Calf Extensions - 3 sets, 10-15 reps (using machine)

Day 2 - Thursday
No squat equipment
3 sets Leg Extensions - 8-10 reps
3 sets Lever lying leg curls - 8-10 reps
3 sets Calf extensions - Freeweight (holding weights at side)
Finish day with crunches, abs

So both my days end up being quite different using different equipment. I have been doing this for about 7 weeks now and I would say have added a good 40-60 lbs to each excersize.....getting stronger but taking longer to build the mass.

Anyway, I hear so much about work a group two days, or don't for two days.....

My entire routine (summary)

Mon - legs
Tues - Chest/Bi
Wed - Back/Tri
Thurs - Legs/abs
Fri - Chest/Bi (only sometimes)

So I would say one in three weeks I end up doing chest/bi twice per week as well.

What do you think?

Cue-Ball
07-01-2002, 01:11 PM
I think you're probably training too often. Chest/bis twice weekly and legs twice weekly is not necessary.

Also, there's no reason you can't eat reasonably healthy even being on the road. I eat fast food for lunch AND dinner almost every single day. Now, i've got some fat to lose (like yourself) but my diet is still pretty damn good. Just look up the sites for your favorite fast food joints and find something that's healthy. Here are a few of my "staples":

Wendys:
Spicy Chicken Sandwich (throw away the bun)
Chili
Baked Potato (hold the sour cream)

Taco Time:
Soft Chicken Taco
Mexican Rice

Subway/Georgio's:
Footlong chicken breast sub piled high with veggies

Plus, you have the option of shakes, protein bars, and simple-to-make foods like peanut butter sandwiches on whole wheat, yogurt, cottage cheese, etc. There's more good things to eat than you probably realize. If you eat this kind of food and keep your calories a bit below maintenence level, you should slowly lose that gut.

Shao-LiN
07-01-2002, 07:47 PM
I'm away from home all day...make your food the night before or the morning of and then nuke it when you want to eat it.

Maintain my diet and I don't have to cook all day.

Rooster77
07-02-2002, 05:41 AM
Ya, I know it......
Sigh, I will have to start planning meals!! I will start to perform a search on meal plans, I assume I would be looking for some type of low carb plan.
Thanks guys!
One last question on the over-training thing......
How do you know when you have over-trained? I have been performing that routine...oh for about two years now and I have never been bigger and stronger, I love it! I am starting to feel actually large and intimidating....lol.....people have really started to comment....
Does that mean I should continue or could I even be making MORE gains if I did not over-train?

Paul Stagg
07-02-2002, 07:38 AM
Eat less. Move more.

Simple enough for you?

Justagirl
07-02-2002, 09:15 AM
Tuna in a bag is a pretty good thing to eat on the go it is easy and takes no prep I normally throw one in my bag and I am off.

You may want to check out some of the diets in the Journals like one of the moderators. Blood and Iron's Journal is pretty detailed and I think Monstars may be as well.

Hope this helps!

Celestial
07-02-2002, 09:37 AM
Despite what people may say, there is no quick fix to fat loss. It requires sacrafice and hard work....how bad do you want it?

Rooster77
07-02-2002, 10:56 AM
Yes, I agree you are right.....I am getting ready to grin and bear it!! I have allready started studying some of the other members journals and begun formulating my new diet plan. I wanna keep getting bigger!!! BUT NOT IN THE GUT....lol
I have pics of myself now, maybe I will have to come back in a few months and show the results.....I am sure that there is a 6 pack somewhere under this excess 15 pounds!! I will find it!!
Thanks everyone!

Celestial
07-02-2002, 11:26 AM
Why dont you stick around, I am sure everyone would be happy to help you along.

Rooster77
07-02-2002, 01:17 PM
Thanks, I was planning to, just not sure if I will do much posting in the next few months......
Anyway, this is me now, we will see if I can't shave off 15 lbs and see what I look like then!

davetha1
07-02-2002, 03:06 PM
Losing weight is like anything, if its a priority you'll get it done. If you really want to lose that weight you will, stick to your diet and it will be gone before you know it. Plan your meals out, make your meals the night before and take them with you.

geoffgarcia
07-03-2002, 01:39 PM
you wanna lose weight but don't have the time? but you have time to go to the gym?

stop going to the gym and just concentrate on your diet.

NateDogg
07-03-2002, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by geoffgarcia
you wanna lose weight but don't have the time? but you have time to go to the gym?

stop going to the gym and just concentrate on your diet.

Um...what :confused:

Better to spend less time eating, therefore eating less (still spread out of course) and still going to the gym.

Rooster77
07-04-2002, 05:21 AM
I would never stop going to the gym!! It is a part of life, I go every lunch hour. I do not have much time because my wife and I have a newborn baby daughter, so from the time I get home to the time I go to bed, it is go go go.....
I am 30 years old and do not have the luxury of only having to worry about school or a job, it gets harder the older you get you know.....LOL.....
I am sure that some here can relate. Again remeber that with my job I am off travelling on the road a lot, so it is necessarily an issue of time for a diet but the effort when mobile....choices are more limited.
Anyways, thanks for the help, I have been reading peoples journals, because I realized that the other reason I was not following a diet was simply a lack of understanding what my diet needs to consist of.
I will follow a diet plan and continue to pump more and more and more weight!! Muscle and strength wise I have never been stronger and there is no way I am giving that up!