PDA

View Full Version : A New Direction...

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

IceRgrrl
07-01-2002, 05:38 PM
This is the start of the continuing saga of my training. The previous year can be found in my previous journal:

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=2395

This journal coincides with the beginning of my sports performance training program tailored for hockey (power, explosiveness, strength, anaerobic conditioning) and under the guidance of an awesome new trainer that I found.

My progress will be mainly notated in my workout book at the training facility so what is posted here will be mainly an overview of each day, some observations, etc.

So here we go...

ElPietro
07-01-2002, 05:50 PM
Good luck baby! :thumbup:

I'm guessing you will get to the actual program and list it when you can.

IceRgrrl
07-01-2002, 05:55 PM
Before my first workout, I did a series of tests: strength, speed, quickness, balance, flexibility, vertical jump, etc. and a series of body measurements: height/weight, body fat, etc. Based on this data and my goals, my trainer put together a program for me. We will begin with a few weeks of "base" training, to focus on form (esp in the Olympic lifts and dynamic movements), to do some pre-hab on my shoulders, and generally to adapt to the new training regimen.

Day 1: weigh in, 5 min. warm up on the treadmill, followed by some dynamic stretching including some shoulder rotation, body weight snatch squats (with a broomstick raised overhead), and glute-ham raises.

Next we moved on to power cleans. Starting from the floor, I worked on each stage of the movement, first finding my stance, getting the bar to waist level and then dropping it (all of these movements are done on a lifting platform, so you just drop the bar and let it bounce at the end of a lift...pretty cool). After that, we went on to high pulls. My trainer is a stickler on form, so here we were mainly working on getting all the technical stuff right and getting a feel for the correct movements. Next workout we'll go to the full power clean. Sets of 5 reps.

Jammer extension: Another dynamic movement done on the jammer machine. Basically, you use your whole body, starting from a squat position, rocking back, and then exploding upwards and forwards while pushing the handles of the machine up and out. It's a full body movement...that I could feel. Sets of 5 reps.

Squat: First of the strength movements. Today I did front squats, again focusing on proper stance, grip, and perfect form. I have mechanical difficulties w/squats due to my body proportions (short torso, long legs. etc.) so we're figuring out what works for me. These were done in sets of 10.

Incline press: Another strength movement. Incline press translates more to hockey/other contact sports where you are generally pushing upwards rather than straight out (like when you check someone in hockey or make a block in football). Grip is relatively narrow (slightly wider than shoulder width and the bar is brought down to the collarbone. Sets of 10.

Prehab movements: For my crappy shoulders :).
Lateral raises and rear delt. flye. Next time it will be some sort of L-flyes and another rotational movement. Sets of 10.

Auxiliary exercises:
Bicep curls w/ DB's, tricep pressdown w/ rope, each done in sets of 10, ab/ball curls, 2 sets of 20.

Streching, weigh out, drink amount of water based on lbs. lost during the workout...you can't leave until you get the water in you.

With all the "teaching" going on about form/correcting form, etc., this workout took about 2 hours. It should speed up a little as I master the dynamic lifts.

It is SO great to work out with this guy...knowledgeable, experienced, great at explanations/demonstrations, critique, encouragement...I learned so much just listening and watching, let alone doing.

Looking forward to Friday's workout :) It will be the same general structure--dynamic movements, strength movements, prehab, aux---but with some different exercises. In a few weeks we'll add a day of running stuff too.

the doc
07-01-2002, 05:57 PM
:spam:

:hello:

the doc
07-01-2002, 06:00 PM
this looks like the first good trainer i've read about on WBB :)

ElPietro
07-01-2002, 06:11 PM
Snatch squats? The Jammer machine? I need a smoke after reading your first workout. :D Looks like this guy has you doing some good things.

I'm not a huge fan of full body workouts but we'll see how the dynamic movements increase your strength. Twice a week should be fine but more than that and it could get to be a bit much. But I guess we'll see how things go.

IceRgrrl
07-01-2002, 06:28 PM
Well it's sports training and most things you do in sports you do with your whole body, so it makes sense for the dynamic stuff.

If I go to 3 days in the fall, then we'll split up the exercises a little more.

doc: This guy has been a strength/conditioning coach at D1 universities, was a coach for the US weightlifting team at the Atlanta Olympics, worked with pro football players and other pro athletes...he definitely knows his stuff! The nutrition info/guidelines he gave me came from the Buffalo Sabres....cool.

Allie
07-01-2002, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by ElPietro
I need a smoke after reading your first workout. :D

LMAO at LP

Looks like your kickin some ass there girl ;) Keep up the good work!

Celestial
07-02-2002, 05:16 AM
Thats awesome stuff! He sounds like he really knows his ****! Keep up the awesome work chica:cool: your kicking some azz!

IceRgrrl
07-03-2002, 09:55 AM
Thanks, Celestial, Allie, El P, doc...

Well, the day after Monday's workout I could feel it in a bunch of places...my traps and upper back were sore and though my legs weren't actually sore, I could feel that they had worked.

Tuesday: 40 min. easy run, on the treadmill in the laundry room while enjoying the miracle of A/C...with the heat index over 100, there was no way I was going to run outside! The run warmed everything up and stretching afterwards loosened everything up.

IceRgrrl
07-04-2002, 10:35 AM
Thursday: 2 mile run, early a.m. before it got too hot.

PowerManDL
07-04-2002, 11:27 AM
Ice-- make sure to keep the specifics posted. I'm very interested in what he's got you doing.

ElPietro
07-04-2002, 11:34 AM
Yeah get yer ass back in the gym. Enough of this frou-frou running crap!

If you want something to do in the morning take up golf, it is way better. ;)

Alex.V
07-04-2002, 12:24 PM
Yeah get yer ass back in the gym. Enough of this frou-frou running crap!

If you want something to do in the morning take up golf, it is way better. ;)

I agree with the first part. What's up with the running? ;)

But as for the second part.... golf?? tuttut

ElPietro
07-04-2002, 02:13 PM
Haha, I know she will ignore the first part and I only put in the golf part because she hates it. ;)

She demands that she runs for some reason. I think she actually likes it, and plans on running a marathon of some kind, which means she'll need to prepare.

And don't be hating on golf Alex! :mad: It is good...just not that good for anything physical...well I guess walking is better than nothing...and there are hills and stuff. :)

the doc
07-04-2002, 03:28 PM
golf is for homos

err.. wait golf is ace :)

IceRgrrl
07-05-2002, 06:00 AM
Golf is facking boring...if I want to go for a walk, I'll go for a walk without having to follow a little white ball around while dodging old people in funny clothes ;)

And I like running. I enjoy it. It's fun, cathartic, meditative, invigorating...

IceRgrrl
07-05-2002, 03:41 PM
Day 2:
Weigh in/5 min. warm-up on the treadmill, warm-up exercises (shoulder rotations, bodyweight snatch squats, glute-ham raises).

Dynamic exercises
Plyo sled:
It looks like a horizontal leg press sled except that the resistance is provided by big rubber band-like things that tie the sled to the bottom position. I started with legs almost fully extended, feet in the middle of the platform, then lowered myself into a 1/4 to 1/2-squat position and "jumped" backwards as far as I could against the resistance, then caught myself on the platform on the return only to explode back into the next jump. Feet touch the platform only long enough to launch again. Three sets of 8 reps.

Jammer rotation:
Hard to describe b/c this was done on the jammer machine (same machine as the jammer extensions from Monday's Day 1 workout). It basically involved starting in a semi-squat position while gripping the handgrip with both hands, leaning back slightly and stepping forward into the a forward rotational motion while rotating the hips/torso forward and extending the arms up and out fully to end above the head. This is done explosively and all in one quick motion. The power developed here would translate well to a slapshot, a golf-swing, or a cross-body punch. My feet begin in a position perpendicular to the motion and end up pointing in the direction of the ending position, just like with shooting in hockey. Three sets of 5 reps.

Strength movements:
Incline press:
2 sets of 9 reps/8 reps. I was going for 10 on all three...when I failed, my trainer would give me the slightest assist past the sticking point and I finished the rep.

Front squat:
Still working on my mechanical issues (damn long legs get in the way). Found a good grip for me that felt really effortless, so that was quite helpful. 2 sets of 10.

Assisted pullups:
Wider overhand grip. 2 sets of 10/8.

Prehab exercises:
External rotation: Done with resistance band. 2 sets of 10.
Internal rotation: Resistance band again. 2 sets of 10.
Side laterals (w/"thumb down" rotation at the top): 2 sets of 10
Rear delt flyes: Done while lying face down on incline bench. 2 sets of 10

Auxiliary:
Tricep pressdowns (rope): 2 sets of 10
DB bicep curls: 2 sets of 10

Abs:
medicine ball "reach for the stars"...I start by lying with knees bent, medicine ball held up directly over my face. Using abs, raise upper body off the floor and touch ball to trainer's hand which is held over me as the "target."

Stretch, weigh out, drink water, done :)

the doc
07-05-2002, 05:56 PM
looks intense icerrr

curious though, ask him why he uses high reps for strength development (typically this is the range known to maximize muscle hypertrophy) instead of low reps to maximize neuromuscular adaptaion. Powerlifters (which desire the explosive strength that it appears your training for) train in this low rep range.

I of course am not saying he is wrong, but want to know why this is the case. :)

IceRgrrl
07-06-2002, 06:37 AM
doc, I'm starting out with two weeks of "base" training to adapt to the new workout, focus on form, and get ready for the next phase. Rep scheme and weight will change soon, believe me.

Also, this phase is designed to work on my weak points---my shoulders, definitely--but also feeling out my lower back and knee (old hockey injuries). One thing I really like about this guy is that he is thorough and methodical. which is good for me b/c I tend to overdo/push too hard too quickly.

the doc
07-06-2002, 09:18 AM
ahhh i see, makes sense now.

as for us hooking up, woman of my dreams, when can i look foward to this?

hehehe :angel::hump::angel:

ElPietro
07-06-2002, 09:13 PM
Looks like a cool program so far. I know it's so much better if you have a trainer pushing you. Seems like you are going to do well under him. I hope you are having fun with it. Also, look forward to you hopefully posting weight lifted, to watch you progress, once you've finished with your adjustment phase.

I'm sure next time I see you, YOU'LL be throwing ME around! :p

Keep things going...I know stuff is interfering right now, but I'll brook no training irregularities once your "excuses" have gone back home. :)

IceRgrrl
07-08-2002, 06:22 AM
doc, you're just toying with me b/c you know I have a thing for intelligent men ;)

El P: Actually, my workouts are scheduled for Mondays and Fridays through the month of July, so I'm right on plan. This is what worked out for me and the trainer right now due to the class I'm teaching and some other stuff that I have planned this month (houseguests, coaching at a girls' hockey camp, etc.).

To recap the weekend...
Saturday: 4 mile run

Sunday: rest

Diet: Surprisingly good despite being at grandma's house with a whole bunch of relatives. The only bad moment was when I found that there was nothing but soy milk in the fridge after I had a bowl of cereal all ready after my run. So I ate it dry(!) while all my very vocal relatives kept urging me to "just try the soy milk...it's good!" Finally, I just yelled "I DON'T WANT SOY MILK...I'M ALMOST DONE WITH THE CEREAL, DAMMIT!" and they gave up and went back to having four different simultaneous conversations. I think volume is the only way to deal with them sometimes...

This afternoon is another Day 1 workout that will be posted later :)

Blood&Iron
07-08-2002, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by IceRgrrl
The only bad moment was when I found that there was nothing but soy milk in the fridge after I had a bowl of cereal all ready after my run. So I ate it dry(!) while all my very vocal relatives kept urging me to "just try the soy milk...it's good!" Finally, I just yelled "I DON'T WANT SOY MILK...I'M ALMOST DONE WITH THE CEREAL, DAMMIT!"
Having been forced on a few occasions to use soy milk on my cereal, I can honestly say it's not that bad. I wouldn't use the stuff by choice, mind you, but it does fulfill two of the three requirements of milk: it's wet and it's cold. Doesn't really taste like much of anything. Drinking it isn't something I see myself doing--though in my youth I was cajoled into doing so by my reformed hippie dad--but on cereal it's quite tolerable. Well, it's better than eating it dry, anyways.

IceRgrrl
07-08-2002, 12:14 PM
If it was vanilla or chocolate soy milk, then I may have given it a try in a pinch...but I had just finished running and was looking forward to a bowl of cereal and milk, and the plain soy milk was just not going to do it for me. Then add the peer pressure on top of it and that just meant I was going to dig in and resist even more...LOL!

ElPietro
07-08-2002, 12:17 PM
Then add the peer pressure on top of it and that just meant I was going to dig in and resist even more...LOL!

Yes, she's a stubborn lass...but with the right amount of discipline and a firm hand she'll listen...eventually... :p

IceRgrrl
07-08-2002, 12:31 PM
That's what many have theorized, but it's never worked in practice :D

PowerManDL
07-08-2002, 12:36 PM
Very interesting routine. Any trainer that's got you using a plyo sled, overhead squats, and Olympic movements is ok in my book.

Will you be going to more than 2x a week after the anatomical adaptation phase?

IceRgrrl
07-08-2002, 05:49 PM
Monday: Day 1 workout

Warmup: 4:00 p.m.
Weigh in, 5 min. on treadmill, shoulder rotations (2 sets of 10), BW snatch squats (2 sets of 10), glute-ham raises (2 sets of 8)

Dynamic exercises
Power cleans:
2 sets of 5 just to the shrug point, 1 set of 5 to the high pull point, then 2 sets of 5 with the full power clean. Focus here is on form and the technical aspects of the lift; taxing weight will be added when form is perfected. Did I mention that it is really cool to be able to drop the bar & bumpers on the platform at the end of the lift? I like that :)

Jammer extension:
3 sets of 5 reps.

Strength exercises
Incline press:
3 sets of 10. Slight complaint from my left shoulder on these so we adjust my grip width a bit.

Front squat:
3 sets of 10.

Shoulder/prehab exercises:
Lateral raise w/thumb-down twist at the top:
2 sets of 10

Rear-delt flye w/ thumb-down twist at the top:
2 sets of 10

Aux. exercises:
Tricep pushdown w/rope:
2 sets of 10

Machine bicep curl:
2 sets of 10

Abs:
3 sets of 25 full bent-knee situps

Stretch, weigh out, water: 6:00 p.m.

:)

the doc
07-08-2002, 06:41 PM
allright woman, this is gonna be real interesting
*rubs chin in intelligent manner*

;)

seriously, cool your keeping this journal as i am very interested in this training method

IceRgrrl
07-09-2002, 07:14 PM
PowerMan: I'm considering going to 3 x week, but it really depends on the old time/money crunch. This fall I'll be juggling my classes, coaching/playing hockey, and workouts plus the drive time between college/rink/gym...and then there's always the $$$. We'll see...it's very, very tempting.

doc: I'm glad this is of interest to someone besides me!

Alex.V
07-09-2002, 07:45 PM
Aye. Likewise extremely interested! Though you'll have to somehow give us a way to measure your progression. :)

Goin_Big
07-09-2002, 07:48 PM
Hope you do well, sounds like a pretty decent pt.

ElPietro
07-09-2002, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by Belial
Though you'll have to somehow give us a way to measure your progression. :)

Naked pictures would probably work best in this situation. :drooling:

Hey if yer short on cash you could just look for a nice Torontonian sugar daddy. :angel:

IceRgrrl
07-10-2002, 06:31 PM
Wednesday: 4 mile run. I have a 15K run coming up on Sunday with my family...this was not my idea, but I would never shrink from a physical challenge. I ran this race two years ago, but I'm going to keep my parents company...I'm glad they are so active and ambitious :)

IceRgrrl
07-10-2002, 06:38 PM
Thanks for the comments, guys :)

And no sugar daddy for me, thanks :) I believe in "Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe!"

Anyway, with your shopping/spending habits, you're going to be looking for a sugar daddy yourself, El P.
:D

ElPietro
07-11-2002, 06:55 AM
It's sugar momma assface, not sugar daddy!

IceRgrrl
07-11-2002, 07:54 AM
Hey, it's the 21st century...I'm openminded enough to not make assumptions about your preferences ;)

*runs and hides*

ElPietro
07-11-2002, 08:00 AM
*runs and hides*

I'm a patient man...run and hide all you want. You will get yours soon enough...

IceRgrrl
07-12-2002, 04:05 PM
LOL @ El P getting all threatening and stuff :p

IceRgrrl
07-12-2002, 04:23 PM
Friday: Day 2 workout

Warm-up: 3:00 pm
Weigh in, 5 min. on treadmill, shoulder rotations (2 sets of 10), BW snatch squats (2 sets of 10), glute-ham raises (2 sets of 8)

Dynamic exercises
Plyo sled:
One set of 8 reps jumping straight backwards
One set of 8 reps jumping side to side (right to left side of platform)
One set of 8 reps jumping straight backwards on left leg only
One set of 8 reps with right leg only (my left leg is stronger than my right, that was evident!)

Jammer rotation:
Three sets of 5 reps to the left, three sets of 5 reps to the left.

Strength movements

Front squat:
Continued work on my mechanical issues. My lower back is definitely getting stronger AND my form/stance is getting better. 3 sets of 10.

Assisted pullups:
Wider overhand grip. One set of 10, one set of 8 + 2 forced reps.

Incline press:
3 sets of 10.

Prehab exercises/shoulder exercises

Side laterals (w/"thumb down" rotation at the top): 2 sets of 10

Rear delt flyes: Done while lying face down on incline bench. 2 sets of 10

Quickness/reaction/acceleration/change direction drills Outside in the parking lot.

My trainer held a small rubber ball out from his shoulder. We had to watch closely and when he dropped the ball, we had to immediately spring forward, run, and catch the ball before it bounced twice. We did this starting facing forward, starting sideways from the left and the right, starting backwards (he called "ball" when the ball was dropped as the cue), and starting even with him and backpedaling until the ball drop, at which we had to quickly change direction and go forward to get the ball.

Next we did the same "get the ball "drill except that we had to side shuffle with quick feet between two cones and react/sprint forward to catch the ball. Then we had to start in the pushup position and spring up and forward to the ball, then laying flat on our backs, just looking up enough to see the ball.

Auxiliary
Cable bicep curls: 2 sets of 10

Tricep pressdowns (rope): 2 sets of 10

Abs
Flexibility ball double cross crunch:
Lying on back, legs draped over flexibility ball and gripping the ball behind my knees against my butt, hands lightly on back of head with elbows out. Upper body crunches up while legs/ball/hips crunch up, elbow touches opposite knee at the top. 3 sets of 24.

Stretch, weigh out, drink water, done: 5:30 pm

Next week moves into a strength phase, generally more weight/less reps.

IceRgrrl
07-13-2002, 03:12 PM
Saturday: a.m. hockey

1.5 hours with one sub per side...whew!

IceRgrrl
07-15-2002, 04:35 PM

Weigh in, 5 min. on stair machine, shoulder rotations (2 sets of 10), BW snatch squats (2 sets of 10), glute-ham raises (2 sets of 8)

Today was the first day of moving out of "base" phase and into "strength." Added weight to most exercises (first set was a relatively easy warm-up, then added weight for the 2nd, and more weight for the 3rd) and decreased all reps to 5 per set (except for bi's, tri's, and abs)

Dynamic exercises
Power cleans:
3 sets of 5 to the shrug point (clean pulls)
3 sets of 5 full power cleans

Jammer extension:
3 sets of 5 reps.

Strength exercises
Incline press:
3 sets of 5.

Front squat:
3 sets of 5.

Shoulder/prehab exercises
Lateral raise w/thumb-down twist at the top:
2 sets of 8

Rear-delt flye w/ thumb-down twist at the top:
2 sets of 8

Aux. exercises
Tricep pushdown w/rope:
2 sets of 8

DB bicep curl:
2 sets of 8

Abs:
3 sets of 20 toe-touches. Lying on back, legs straight up in the air, crunch up to touch toes with fingers.

Anaerobic intervals
Treadmill set at 10% grade/8 mph.
30 sec. on, 1:30 recovery, 6 sets.
Eventually we'll build up to 18 sets at 10 mph, 10% grade, which is the equivalent of three periods of hockey. This is what a bunch of the NHL teams do for their anaerobic conditioning. So basically, I ran one period today...which was find b/c I was feeling a bit depleted from a hella long run yesterday!

Stretch, weigh out, water: 6:25 p.m.

Now off to homemade pasta/sauce and Mom's raspberry pie for dessert! I like this having someone around to cook me food and having it ready when I get home from workouts :D

Mystic Eric
07-15-2002, 04:36 PM
Hey beautiful, how have you been?

ElPietro
07-18-2002, 07:23 PM
:drooling:

err...I mean bump.

You better work yer butt hard tomorrow lil' lady! :whip:

IceRgrrl
07-19-2002, 09:04 AM
I shall...I am looking forward to my workout this afternoon :)

But all the readers of my journal (ha ha) will have to wait for an update until sometime tomorrow as I am going out directly from the gym and will probably not return until just late enough that I can still get a minimum of sleep before Saturday a.m. hockey...

It's supposed to be summer vacation but the days are just packed. :p

Paul Stagg
07-19-2002, 09:39 AM

Quickness/reaction/acceleration/change direction drills Outside in the parking lot.

My trainer held a small rubber ball out from his shoulder. We had to watch closely and when he dropped the ball, we had to immediately spring forward, run, and catch the ball before it bounced twice. We did this starting facing forward, starting sideways from the left and the right, starting backwards (he called "ball" when the ball was dropped as the cue), and starting even with him and backpedaling until the ball drop, at which we had to quickly change direction and go forward to get the ball.

Next we did the same "get the ball "drill except that we had to side shuffle with quick feet between two cones and react/sprint forward to catch the ball. Then we had to start in the pushup position and spring up and forward to the ball, then laying flat on our backs, just looking up enough to see the ball.

I'd show up at the next workout with my dog.

She can get the damn ball while I sit.

Alas, perhaps this is why I'm far more interested in powerlifting than i am in sports where a great deal of movement is involved.

Looks like good stuff. Anyone else notice the difference between IceR's strength + conditioning coach and your typical personal trainer who thinks a unilateral movement is some sort of revolutionary breakthrough?

Sounds like you are having fun with it, too... which I think is a HUGE benefit.

Savannah
07-19-2002, 09:45 AM
:( I wish I understood more what some of these movements are because they sound pretty interesting.
Your journal is a good read Icer, keep it up:)

IceRgrrl
07-20-2002, 10:13 AM

Dynamic exercises
Plyo sled:
One set of 8 reps jumping straight backwards.

One set of 8 reps jumping a pattern that consisted of landing/taking off on certain locations on the platform in a certain order. Each rep consisted of a 7 spot pattern, so 56 jumps.

One set of 8 reps jumping a different pattern; this one hit 6 spots per rep for 48 total jumps.
Every muscle in my lower body was burning during/after these...wow.

Jammer rotation:
Three sets of 5 reps to the left, three sets of 5 reps to the left, moving up weight for each set.

Strength movements

Incline press:
3 sets of 8, moving up weight for each set.

Back squat:
We decided to try these and see how my mechanics behaved. According to my trainer, my stance/form/stability is improved from the work on the front squats/lower back but I did feel something uneasy in my left knee so we'll have to be careful and work these up slowly.
3 sets of 8, added weight for each set.

Side laterals: 2 sets of 8

Rear delt flyes: 2 sets of 8

Assisted pullups:
Wider overhand grip. One set of 8, moved to less assistance for the second set for 8 + 2 forced reps.

Prehab exercises/shoulder exercises

Auxiliary
Tricep pressdowns (rope): 2 sets of 8

DB bicep curls: 2 sets of 8, more weight on 2nd set.

Abs
Flexibility ball fun time:
One set of 20 crunches, one set of 30 oblique crunches.
Medicine ball catch/throw...lying on ball, trainer threw the ball to me, I caught it with arms outstretched behind my head, then quickly crunched up and threw the ball back to him keeping arms relatively straight and using midsection to generate the movement rather than throwing with arms. 30 reps

Circuit of 10 crunches, 10 oblique crunches, 20 medicine ball throws...I have no idea how many times we went through this b/c I was hurting :) My whole torso is sore this morning...

Stretch, weigh out, drink water, done: 5:30 pm

IceRgrrl
07-20-2002, 10:23 AM
Saturday a.m. hockey: 1.5 hours of a very non-quality nature due to a) non-recovery from workout, and b) late night out.

Directly after that fine workout yesterday, I went out to our city's East End festival where I proceeded to drink lots and stay out very late...had to get up for hockey this morning and could definitely feel some sore/tight muscles from aftereffects of the workout.

Felt some of the aftereffects of alcohol consumption as well...not hungover, but just no energy and the temptation to just stay in bed and sleep all morning.

We were a pretty sorry group on the ice this morning as over half of us had all been out together the night before. My usual defensive partner told me to call him this morning to make sure he got up for our ice time, but apparently he didn't remember even making the request and was very, very grumpy about being woken up :) But I was persuasive in pointing out that now that he was awake, he might as well get his a$$ out of bed and not wimp out on the rest of us.

I have the house to myself for the first time in weeks (the family has gone home, s.o. is away at a car show) and I am seriously considering spending the rest of the day on the couch watching movies and enjoying the solitude.

IceRgrrl
07-22-2002, 10:32 AM
This is off-topic, but it's my journal, so I guess I can ramble as well as the next person ;)

I took my dog to a modeling assignment this morning :) She will be on the cover of the December "Hometrends" catalog (the big issue of the year...holiday time). It was pretty interesting and the house we were in was pretty damn posh. You could land a plane in the living room alone!

When I get a copy of the cover, I'm going to scan it and post it. My doggie is a cover girl :)

IceRgrrl
07-22-2002, 05:09 PM

Weigh in, 5 min. on stair machine, shoulder rotations (2 sets of 10), BW snatch squats (2 sets of 10), glute-ham raises (2 sets of 8)

Moving squarely into the strength phase here...added weight to most exercises and lowered reps again. I am starting to really click with this workout and feel like I am making some progress :) Having tons of energy to spare helped today too. I guess two days of snoozing on the couch or on my floatie in the pool have aided my recovery :D

Power cleans
3 sets of 5 to the shrug point (clean pulls) with a helluva lot more weight than last week. We use the kilogram bumpers + whatever lb. plates added so I never really know offhand what the exact "weight" is, and according to my trainer, that is on purpose...so I go by feel and not get hung up on the numbers.

Jammer extension
3 sets of 5 reps; really rocking the machine on these now...whoo hoo! I was instructed to "try and break the machine...then you know you're doing 'em right." :)

Incline press
3 sets of 5, moving up in weight. I have to really concentrate on keeping my chest tight and not letting my shoulder take on more of the load...if I do, my sloppy left shoulder grinds and slides.

Power cleans
2 sets of 5, then moved up to the next set of weights and I pulled it but couldn't clean it...my trainer said I was pulling it high enough to be able to get under the bar and catch it, but for whatever reason, I missed it...three times. :swear: And was therefore bloody hopping mad...next time for sure, dammit! So I dropped back down and banged out another set of 5.

Back squat
3 sets of 5. Didn't change the weight on these since after Friday's workout I had felt some grumbling from my knee. I'm not sure if it was the squats or the jammer rotation that tweaked it, but since these felt good today, I'm leaning towards the rotations.

Lateral raise w/thumb-down twist at the top
2 sets of 8

Rear-delt flye w/ thumb-down twist at the top
2 sets of 8. Have moved up in weight on both of these and I feel like I'm getting some more stability in my shoulders.

Tricep pushdown
1 set of 8, added weight for another set of 8 b/c the first one was too easy.

DB bicep curl
2 sets of 8

Abs
3 sets of 20 crunches on the flexibility ball. I felt like these were SO easy compared to the ones I did three weeks ago :)

Anaerobic intervals
Treadmill set at 10% grade/8 mph.
30 sec. on, 1:30 recovery, 6 sets.
These were a piece of cake today...like I said, I had tons of energy and I hadn't run in awhile. Apparently I "wasn't breathing heavy enough" and was able to talk to people between intervals so we're going to add another one or two next time :p

Stretch, weigh out, water: 5:40 p.m. As my form is getting better, I'm flying through everything a lot quicker :)

Had to take a major detour to get home afterwards. Apparently a heavy storm front rolled in with high winds and took down some trees and power lines. Maybe now at least it will be a bit cooler...

ElPietro
07-22-2002, 05:46 PM
Very nice lil' lady. Now next time out make sure you get that clean all the way up and yourself under it!

Any plans to post weights again anytime soon? Just would love to follow your progress. :)

IceRgrrl
07-26-2002, 03:18 PM

Plyo sled

Two sets of 8 reps each consisting of a pattern of jumping a pattern of 5 locations. 2 x 8 x 5 = 80 reps.

By the end of these longer sets, I can feel my quads and calves burning and it takes all my concentration and resolve to finish the last rep. I do feel more "springy" than I did a few weeks ago, so that is a positive sign.

Jammer rotation
Three sets of 5 reps to the left, three sets of 5 reps to the left. These are getting really easy. I think we're going to move up in weight again next week.

Assisted pullups
Wide overhand grip. One set of 8, moved to less assistance for the second set for 6 + 2 forced reps.

Incline press
3 sets of 8, moving up weight for each set.

External/internal rotation
Done with resistance band. 2 sets of 10 each for int/ext.

Back squat
3 sets of 8, added weight for each set. We're working with low weight here until I get my lower back/knee issues up to where they are not the limiting factor. It's starting to feel a lot better and I am getting anxious to start really working these.

Side laterals
2 sets of 8

Rear delt flyes
2 sets of 8

Overhead tricep press
2 sets of 8

DB bicep curls
2 sets of 8

Abs
10 full sit-ups followed immediately by 10 V-ups with flexibility ball held between heels/straight legs, arms extended up overhead. V-up to touch hands to ball. Repeat 3 times.

Stretch, weigh out, drink water, done: 5:00 pm

IceRgrrl
07-26-2002, 03:29 PM
El P, thanks for the encouragement. To address your question about weights, probably no time soon. The reasons for this are varied:

1) I don't keep track of the weight. My trainer has my workout plan for the day and just tells me what to do. The weight/rep scheme changes from day to day...on Monday we did incline press with sets of 5, today we did it with sets of 8, and the respective weights were different of course. I don't have to worry about anything but lifting the weight, which I am really liking right now. He writes down everything and plans my next workout according to the overall cycle/workout goals and my performance. It makes it easy for me to perform and not analyze :)

2) For a lot of the big lifts, we're using bumper plates (designed to let you drop the bar on the platform) that are measured in kg. and then adding lb. plates to those, so calculating the total weight in lbs. is a pain.

3) I am not training for bodybuilding or pure strength, but athletic performance, so a lot of my routine is designed to mimic or work similar motion/stance/grip/cadence that I would in my sport. This is usually NOT the stance/grip/motion/cadence that would allow me to lift the max. amount of weight. So I'd rather just not include the weight. It won't mean anything to anyone, and I don't want to open up my workouts to those who make assumptions/judgements about someone's knowledge, strength, dedication, etc. based on the numbers.

I really like the challenge of these workouts though...they're like nothing I've ever done before. Some things are exhilarating, when I find that I am stronger/more powerful than I thought and others are humbling, when I find that a weak link is holding me back and I have to slow down and fix it before I can charge ahead. I'm also learning a lot by listening to my trainer and asking questions...it's like studying with a guru.

ElPietro
07-29-2002, 12:19 PM
Man I think I'd have a blast working out like that. Just come and lift and someone else who knows his sh!t that you can trust gives you all the pointers you need and is entirely focused on you and your progress. It looks like you will be cleaning the ice with your opponents this winter.

When I make mistakes lifting, all I have are my good buddies "pain" and "injury" that inform me that my form is poor. :(

IceRgrrl
07-29-2002, 04:07 PM
Yeah, it's pretty awesome. My tendency is to overtrain, so it's nice to have someone else who is more knowledgeable and experienced managing my workload.

At times it has felt like what I was doing was too easy, but then I have days like today where I suddenly made some big progress and it felt so good!

IceRgrrl
07-29-2002, 04:21 PM
I had a major kick a$$ workout today....whoo hoo! Everything just felt really good, I felt really strong, and I made some nice progress :) Maybe I was just in a great mood b/c I got to skate this morning...

Jammer extension
Started with these today for a change-up; 3 sets of 5 reps

Clean pulls
3 sets of 5 to the shrug point (clean pulls).

Power cleans
Since I was all warmed up from the clean pulls, I started right off with the weight I failed on last Monday...and I got two solid reps! :D And there was much rejoicing...then I failed on the third and fourth, so we dropped the weight down a bit and I finished my first set of 5, then two more sets of 5. I was really psyched about getting that weight up this time, since I was so angry about missing it last week!

Incline press
The first two sets of 5 went so easily that my trainer just decided to load on extra for the third set. And I surprised him by getting all 5 on that one too! He mumbled something about having to re-adjust my weights for next time :)

Back squat
Since I've been feeling pretty good over the last week with these (lower back and knee behaving) I was able to go heavier on these. Another progression. At this point my trainer asked me what I had had for breakfast this morning...LOL!

Lateral raise w/thumb-down twist at the top
2 sets of 8, went to the next set of DB on the second set.

Rear-delt flye w/ thumb-down twist at the top
2 sets of 8. Boring but good...

Tricep pushdown
2 sets of 8

DB bicep curl
2 sets of 8

Abs
3 sets of 20 double crunches.

Anaerobic intervals
Treadmill set at 10% grade/10 mph.
30 sec. on, 1:30 recovery, nearly passed out.

Treadmill set at 10% grade/9 mph
30 sec. on/1:30 recovery, only felt like my lungs were going to explode

Treadmill set at 10% grade/8 mph
30 sec. on/1:30 recovery, better but still a lung burner, did 5 repetitions of these.

Stretch, weigh out, water: 5:30 p.m.

I was beat by the time we got to those intervals...I did not enjoy them at all today. But overall, probably my best workout yet!

ElPietro
07-29-2002, 06:41 PM
Power cleans
Since I was all warmed up from the clean pulls, I started right off with the weight I failed on last Monday...and I got two solid reps! :D And there was much rejoicing...

Great job girl! I better get my butt in gear or you'll be throwing me around soon! :p

Oh, here's a little something for ya!

:fart:

IceRgrrl
07-30-2002, 02:44 PM
Great...thanks a lot, El P...*hangs up air freshener*

On a serious note, I can feel that workout yesterday...I have that nice satisfied all-over sore feeling that lets you know that you did something the day before :)

Soaking in the pool/the sun is good therapy though...

IceRgrrl
08-02-2002, 08:43 PM

Plyo sled

Two sets of 8 reps with the left leg only followed by 8 reps with the right leg only. It is SO evident that my left leg is stronger :(

I'm jumping against 230 lbs. of resistance on these, so doing them with one leg is a killer!

Jammer rotation
Three sets of 5 reps to the left, three sets of 5 reps to the left. Went up in weight and it still felt easy...so more weight next week...whoo hoo!

Incline press
3 sets of 8, moving up weight for each set. These will take another jump next week as well.

Back squat
3 sets of 8, added weight for each set. Starting to add weight here...feels pretty darn good.

Assisted pullups
Wide overhand grip. One set of 8, moved to less assistance for the second set for 7 + 1 forced rep.

External/internal rotation
Done with resistance band. 2 sets of 10 each for int/ext.

Side laterals
2 sets of 8

Rear delt flyes
2 sets of 8

Overhead tricep press
2 sets of 8, more weight than last time.

Cable bicep curls
2 sets of 8, more weight on second set.

Abs
Three sets of 30 bicycle crunches...hands clasped behind head, touch elbow to opposite knee while knees "bicycle" out and back.

Hockey plyos
All sets done with hockey stick in hand.

Two sets of 20 lateral jumps that mimic the use of "inside edges" on skates. Jumps were done so that I travelled as far as possible from left to right as fast as possible while springing from the ground as quickly as possible.

Two sets of 20 similar lateral jumps that mimic the use of "outside edges" on skates.

Two sets of 20 lateral jumps side to side as far and as fast as possible using both feet.

One set of 10 lateral jumps side to side on the left foot only, then another set of 10 on the right foot only.

Two sets of 10 jumps starting upright, descending into squat position and springing straight up while bringing knees as high up as possible, above the stick and as close to the chest as possible.

Stretch, weigh out, drink water, done: 5:00 pm

Tryska
08-02-2002, 08:45 PM
hey ice..i just noticed your sig.....very nice. ;)

IceRgrrl
08-02-2002, 08:51 PM
Thanks :) I just happened upon that one recently and thought that it was onto something...

Tryska
08-02-2002, 08:53 PM
i definitely agree. cuz seriously if a woman is lacking in any of those other places, she gets talked about. *lol*

IceRgrrl
08-02-2002, 08:54 PM
Yup...I can relate :)

ElPietro
08-02-2002, 09:47 PM
I'm jumping against 230 lbs. of resistance on these, so doing them with one leg is a killer!

:eek: Wow very good!

Oh, and while we are talking about your signature, I just wanted to add that there are other "talents" ;) that a woman could possess that would make a man overlook some of the other "traditional domestic" attributes. Just thought I'd add that in there so you didn't think we were all sexist pigs! :p

:angel:

ElPietro
08-07-2002, 08:21 PM
Anyone here?

:scratch:

IceRgrrl
08-08-2002, 04:54 AM
Sorry...I've been off for a few days and haven't been posting. But I DID work out twice during my little vacation (with a good friend of mine ;)), just haven't gotten around to posting it...

Unfortunately, it's back to reality today with an 8 a.m. meeting...it's still summer vacation and some sadistic freak decides that early morning is a good time for a committee to get together...I am going to be SO dysfunctional this morning, even with caffeine.

PowerManDL
08-08-2002, 07:21 PM
Make sure you bring your crowbar.

IceRgrrl
08-09-2002, 05:59 AM
LOL! Where were you yesterday morning with that advice???

It was more like me sitting in a conference room with 6 other people feeling sleepy, bored, and sorry for myself while we argued about stupid stuff. The only saving point in all of this was that I could show up in shorts, T-shirt, baseball cap, and flip-flops and still be taken seriously and even deferred to...I love academia :p

Today's plan includes biking for the better part of the day with a friend followed by my usual Friday workout :)

IceRgrrl
08-09-2002, 02:51 PM
Heh heh...perhaps biking nearly 40 miles before a workout is not exactly conventional, but then I'm not exactly conventional. I literally got off my bike at 2:45, jammed it in the truck, took off, and was on the plyo sled by 3:05...whew!

Funny thing is, I had an awesome workout :) Just about everything went up and I flew through it. My trainer observed that my vacation seems to have agreed with me :D

I will post my workout as soon as I get out of the shower...it's been quite a sweaty day...

PowerManDL
08-09-2002, 02:53 PM

ElPietro
08-09-2002, 10:48 PM
Funny thing is, I had an awesome workout :) Just about everything went up and I flew through it.

Great job 'lil lady. Looks like your doing great. :thumbup: I know it's probably too early to tell, but I'm curious on how this change in your training will impact your hockey. Perhaps it will be a slow improvement as you already play quite a bit and are probably adapted to the sport optimally already. But with the added strength and explosiveness from your training you could start hitting new levels of potential...would be interesting to track how you feel/perform when you play. Also, perhaps this new method of training could also have a positive mental impact on your hockey. The fact that you are probably training much more intensely, and you are also working towards improving your play through this training could easily translate into a better more hardcore player on the ice. Just some thoughts.

My trainer observed that my vacation seems to have agreed with me :D

Ahhh...so these secret vacation training sessions are what is giving you that added edge when you are with your trainer. That is very sneaky and ninja-like...you should share with the rest of us. :)

I will post my workout as soon as I get out of the shower...it's been quite a sweaty day...

*waiting*

IceRgrrl
08-10-2002, 09:47 AM
Okay, so this is a little later than I had planned, but Friday evening got a bit hectic...

Plyo sled

One set of 8 reps of a 5-spot pattern of jumps; 40 jumps total.

One set of 8 reps of a different 5-spot pattern of jumps for another 40.

These things are really killer. The first set is basically a warm-up and max. effort. The last two sets are long and a test of endurance, or at least it feels like it by the middle of the 40 jumps when my legs are burning, my jumps are barely getting off the platform, and I'm ready to pass out by the end.

Jammer rotation
Three sets of 5 reps to the left, three sets of 5 reps to the left. Loading on still more weight each week.

Incline press
3 sets of 8, same weight for all sets. The first one was easy, the second one was work, and the third was really tough.

Back squat
3 sets of 8, added weight for each set. Still adding weight slowly here as my stability and lower back keep improving.

Assisted pullups
Wide overhand grip. Two sets of 8.

Side laterals
2 sets of 8, added more weight for the second set.

Rear delt flyes
2 sets of 8, added more weight to the second set.

Cable bicep curls
2 sets of 8, more weight on second set.

Tricep pressdown
2 sets of 8. On the last set I was struggling at the sticking point to get that last rep but was determined to push through it...until my trainer made some isometric contraction joke which caused me to start laughing and completely lose my strength. It wasn't even that funny...just the timing and the total meathead geek type of comment that is only funny to some people, I guess. Anyway, I could have gotten that last one, dammit.

Abs
One set of 20 knees-up crunches and 20 oblique crunches.
One set of 30 medicine ball crunches.
One set of 30 v-ups done with Swiss ball held by knees and heels.

No intervals today since I had run intervals twice during my vacation and biked just before my workout.

Stretch, weigh out, drink water, done: 4:45 pm

IceRgrrl
08-10-2002, 09:58 AM

I know it's probably too early to tell, but I'm curious on how this change in your training will impact your hockey. Perhaps it will be a slow improvement as you already play quite a bit and are probably adapted to the sport optimally already. But with the added strength and explosiveness from your training you could start hitting new levels of potential...would be interesting to track how you feel/perform when you play.

Thanks...I'm curious as well. Right now I'm not really playing that much, maybe once a week and mostly pick-up hockey so it's not as intense as regular games (not as much two-way play, we all back off a bit in the corners, front of the net, etc.). When I start playing more and more regularly, then I think I will feel the difference. My Saturday morning skate unfortunately comes the day after my plyo sled day which totally kills my legs, and also after Friday night, which means that I've often been out late, so how I feel on the ice is not representative of my true performance.

Also, perhaps this new method of training could also have a positive mental impact on your hockey. The fact that you are probably training much more intensely, and you are also working towards improving your play through this training could easily translate into a better more hardcore player on the ice. Just some thoughts.

Yeah, those are good thoughts. I think it WILL give me an extra mental edge, just knowing that what I've been doing and the progress that I'm making is going to make me a better player. The whole psychological part of sports is so interesting...

Ahhh...so these secret vacation training sessions are what is giving you that added edge when you are with your trainer. That is very sneaky and ninja-like...you should share with the rest of us. :)

Ha ha...I like to stay in my routine, even when on holiday. It keeps my secret ninja-powers honed to a fine edge and ready for action. And as for sharing, I think that like many ninja secrets, it will remain cloaked in mystery ;)

IceRgrrl
08-12-2002, 04:50 PM
Today was one of those workouts that was a mixed bag...some parts were awesome and some just did not seem to be clicking and at least one part made me very, very mad. I'm posting some weights with the reminder that this is NOT a bodybuilding/max. strength workout and is part of a periodized progression.

Weigh in: up to 158 lbs. so far, with most of my gains being muscle from what I can tell :)
5 min. on treadmill, shoulder rotations (2 sets of 10), BW snatch squats (2 sets of 10), glute-ham raises (2 sets of 8)

Jammer extension
Set 1: 5 reps @ 75 lbs.
Set 2: 5 reps @ 85 lbs.
Set 3: 5 reps @ 95 lbs.

Clean pulls
3 sets of 5 to the shrug point. Focus is on moderate pull to the knees and then a quick explosive pull to the shrug while coming up on toes.
Set 1: 5 reps @ 133 lbs.
Set 2: 5 reps @ 153 lbs.
Set 3: 5 reps @ 153 lbs.

Power cleans
3 sets with 5 reps. Working here on coordinating the whole lift from beginning to end with explosive "pop." The weight is a little lighter because my shoulders are the weak link but these are feeling much stronger as we up the weight.
Set 1: 5 reps @ 65 lbs.
Set 2: 5 reps @ 75 lbs.
Set 3: 5 reps @ 88 lbs.

Incline press
3 sets of 5 reps. As my shoulder is getting stronger these are feeling better. I am using a narrower grip, very slightly more than shoulder width and bringing the bar down to touch at the collarbone. This correlates more with sports movements but does not allow me to move as much weight as I could with a wider grip and a lower touch point. The cadence is explosive up/slower on the down.
Set 1: 5 reps @ 55 lbs.
Set 2: 5 reps @ 65 lbs.
Set 3: 5 reps @75 lbs.

Back squat
3 sets of 5 reps. Not posting any weight here because these are still a lower back/knee exercise for me and are not stressing my legs with the lower weight that I'm using. Hopefully as the weak links strengthen, I'll be up to a respectable number :)

Lateral raise
Done with straight arms to just below parallel with the floor, very slow cadence down and up, w/thumb-down twist at the top. The purpose of these are shoulder pre-hab/injury prevention rather than max. strength. My shoulders get a good workout on the clean pulls, power cleans, jammer extensions, and incline presses.
Set 1: 8 reps @ 8 lb. DB's
Set 2: 8 reps @ 10 lb. DB's

Rear-delt flye
Done lying face-down on the incline bench with straight arms, very slow cadence down and up, w/ thumb-down twist at the top. The purpose of these are also pre-hab, injury prevention rather than max. strength.
Set 1: 8 reps @ 5 lb. DB's
Set 2: 8 reps @ 8 lb. DB's

Tricep pushdown
Done on the cable stack with rope attachment. Triceps are also worked on othe exercises, so this is just to finish them off.
Set 1: 8 reps @ 70 lbs.
Set 2: 8 reps @ 80 lbs.

DB bicep curl
Again, bi's get worked on other exercises too.
Set 1: 8 reps @ 20 lb. DB's
Set 2 8 reps @ 20 lb. DB's

Abs
Set 1: 10 crunches, 10 oblique crunches done on Swiss ball wiht one foot right in front of the other on the floor...makes balancing much more of a challenge than having feet next to each other.
Set 2: 20 v-ups with Swiss ball between feet, legs and arms straight out to touch at the top
Set 3: Repeat of Set 2

Anaerobic intervals
Treadmill set at 10% grade/8.5 mph.
30 sec. on, 1:30 recovery, 6 intervals.

Stretch, weigh out, water: 6:00 p.m.

The treadmill at my gym is faster when set at 8.5 mph than the one I did my intervals on while I was on vacation..the ones I did today were definitely harder. I was seeing stars after the 3rd one and was oh so glad to get through the 6th.

And now I am off to grill some steak :D

shredder
08-12-2002, 06:52 PM
goodjob, ur a pretty strong girl

IceRgrrl
08-12-2002, 07:08 PM
Thanks shredder...I'm working on it :)

I just ate a pound and a half of rare steak (along with a few green beans and some red wine)...so I've been in a food coma for about the last hour or so...LOL! It was SO good though and I was really hungry after my workout :)

shredder
08-12-2002, 07:47 PM
haha strong girl with a big appetite :D

IceRgrrl
08-12-2002, 07:54 PM
Heh...usually I don't eat quite so much, but I haven't been eating enough lately and it just caught up to me today after that workout :D

ElPietro
08-12-2002, 09:00 PM
*dreamy sigh*

IceRgrrl
08-14-2002, 10:35 AM
I am definitely feeling that workout on Monday...my traps and upper back are sore (2nd day, as always) and my abs still hurt.

But since Monday I have improved my diet significantly and that feels good. Thanks to a monster grocery excursion Sunday night, I have lots of good, convenient stuff and have been better about making sure I get the right stuff at the right time. Now if I can just make sure to get enough water during the day...that's something I've sort of fallen off on.

It's been so hot and humid I haven't wanted to do a lot outside...I'm actually over the whole summer thing and ready for cooler fall weather. Might go biking today anyways depending on what it feels like when I venture out.

Saw an excellent movie last night..."13 Conversations About One Thing." Very creative, non-linear, dark and philosophical.

the doc
08-14-2002, 11:41 AM
hey icerrr!:hello:

IceRgrrl
08-15-2002, 08:06 AM
Hi doc :) Welcome back...

IceRgrrl
08-15-2002, 08:20 AM
Didn't go biking yesterday..too damn hot. But later in the evening one of my friends called me to play softball...apparently his co-ed team is always short a female or two.

After two games, I figured out why. Most of the people were pretty cool (and I knew a few of them from hockey and whatever) but there was the one token guy (doesn't every softball team have one?) who despite being an average player, thought he was the sshit and was the only player carrying the team. He also made it clear with his commentary that he had no use for females playing sports. Very annoying.

Then when we were all out afterwards, Softball Guy trotted out the flip side of his personality and spent the whole time trying to suck up to all the women in a really oily, makes-the-hair-on-the-back-of-your-neck-stand-up manner. Apparently, off the field he DOES have some use for females...*shudder*

So while we finished the beer, we spent some time making fun of him and making commentary of our own (instigated by me, I confess) about his obvious lack of social skills...not that he noticed because I guess it was too subtle for his powers of perception...and that was amusing. I think he might have been getting some of his lines off an internet site or something ;)

ElPietro
08-15-2002, 08:26 AM
I think he might have been getting some of his lines off an internet site or something ;)

Haha...probably that sosuave.com site all the ladies men here get their advice from. :D

C'mon Icer...admit it...you were ALL OVER this guy! :p

IceRgrrl
08-16-2002, 04:07 PM
LOL! Yeah, right...I don't put up with a$$holes with attitude problems under any circumstances.

I'm very, very picky as a rule :D

IceRgrrl
08-16-2002, 04:28 PM
Today's workout felt really smooth. Day 2 is usually a little more reps/less weight than Day 1, but overall it's really getting easy. I have about 1-2 weeks left of this current phase and then my workout will be changing again to something more like sets of 3 in the main lifts.

Once classes start in September, I'll be working out in the mornings, which will probably mean more energy so I'm looking forward to that.

Weigh in, 5 min. on stairmachine, shoulder rotations (2 sets of 10), BW snatch squats (2 sets of 10), glute-ham raises (2 sets of 8)

Plyo sled
230 lbs. of resistance

Two sets of a pattern of 2 jumps on the far left of the platform followed by 2 jumps on the far right of the platform. Repeat left/right pairs for 8 reps; 32 jumps total for each set.

Jammer rotation
Set 1: 5 reps to the left @ 65 lbs/5 reps to the right
Set 2: 5 reps @ 70 lbs/5 reps to the right
Set 3: 5 reps @ 75 lbs/5 reps to the right

Assisted pullups
Wide overhand grip
Set 1: 8 reps lifting 100 lbs. of me
Set 2: 7 reps + 1 forced rep lifting 100 lbs. of me

Incline press
Set 1: 8 reps @ 55 lbs.
Set 2: 8 reps @ 60 lbs.
Set 3: 8 reps @ 65 lbs.

Back squat
3 sets of 8, added weight for each set. Took these slowly and easily today b/c my lower back--the weak link--was bothering me a little today (I think my lack of sleep/trouble sleeping/sleeping funny is to blame). If it's still tight tonight I'm going to sleep on the floor, which always seems to help. And I'm going to have to take it easy at hockey tomorrow morning :(

Internal/external rotations
Done with resistance tubing.
2 sets of 10 for external and internal.

Lateral raise
Done with straight arms to just below parallel with the floor, very slow cadence down and up, w/thumb-down twist at the topSet 1: 8 reps @ 10 lb. DB's

Rear-delt flye
Done lying face-down on the incline bench with straight arms, very slow cadence down and up, w/ thumb-down twist at the top.

DB bicep curl
These are much harder on Day 2 since my biceps get worked hard on pullups.
Set 1: 8 reps @ 20 lb. DB's
Set 2: 6 + 2 forced reps @ 20 lb. DB's

Overhead tricep extension
Done on cable stack with rope attachment
Set 1: 8 reps @ 80 lbs.
Set 2: 6 reps + 2 forced @ 80 lbs.

Abs
Did all abs on the ball today to take the pressure off my lower back.
One set of 20 Swiss ball crunches
One set of 20 Swiss ball oblique crunches
One set of 20 Swiss ball crunches

Anaerobic intervals
Ran these again today...going to twice a week with the running.
30 sec. on, 1:30 recovery, 5 intervals.
Treadmill set at 10% grade/9.0 mph
30 sec. on, 1:30 recovery, 2 intervals.

Stretch, weigh out, drink water, done: 5:15 pm

the doc
08-17-2002, 12:42 AM
hey i went jogging again yesterday per our PM discussion ;)

Also, i find it hard to believe you're getting 100 lbs of assistance on the pullup machine given how strong i i believe you are. You might be closer to lifting your bodyweight than you think :)

IceRgrrl
08-17-2002, 04:07 AM
Originally posted by the doc
hey i went jogging again yesterday per our PM discussion ;)

Also, i find it hard to believe you're getting 100 lbs of assistance on the pullup machine given how strong i i believe you are. You might be closer to lifting your bodyweight than you think :)

Ha ha...another running convert in the making ;) Good for you, doc...how did it feel?

And the 100 lbs. is MINUS the assistance, i.e. if I weighed 100 lbs. (ha ha) I'd be able to do it without assistance.

Franjipani
08-17-2002, 04:30 AM
Softball Guy trotted out the flip side of his personality and spent the whole time trying to suck up to all the women in a really oily, makes-the-hair-on-the-back-of-your-neck-stand-up manner. Apparently, off the field he DOES have some use for females...*shudder*

*LMAO*

You have such an eloquent way with words Ice.....;)

IceRgrrl
08-17-2002, 08:32 AM
Thanks, Franji...glad I can amuse. And I'm turning myself down several notches here for public viewing...me in my unfiltered state is something that about 0.5% of the population can appreciate ;)

Saturday a.m.
1.5 hours of hockey. This time we had two subs per side so it was possible to get a breather more than once or twice per 30 minutes. Lots of really fast players today so it was quite a workout. My back feels a little better today but still had to watch it a little...still got my ass kicked several times so it's all good :)

And it's amazing how much better I felt at 7:30 a.m. Saturday after staying home and sleeping on Friday night!

IceRgrrl
08-18-2002, 09:28 AM
Sunday: lazy day

Spent most of yesterday at a good friend's surprise birthday party...which meant lots of food and drink, none of it healthy, I'm sure :) A hockey buddy of mine brought his wife who works with deaf kids...she spent a lot of time teaching us all how to say all kinds of things that can get us in trouble in American Sign Language...very amusing, I must say.

Anyways, I sore from Friday's workout and Saturday's hockey so today I will eat sensible food and do a whole lot of nothing other than watch "Lord of the Rings." It's rainy and grey here so the couch is calling me...

the doc
08-18-2002, 04:21 PM
hey icerrr i have been increasing the course slowly, starting ata about 1 mile and now i am up to 2 miles. I was bringing dog with me but he is really dragging now on the last 1/2 mile or so.

Now as to your soreness and couch desire i have a nice new futon for your pleasure :hump:

ectx
08-18-2002, 04:33 PM
Anaerobic intervals
Ran these again today...going to twice a week with the running.
30 sec. on, 1:30 recovery, 5 intervals.
Treadmill set at 10% grade/9.0 mph
30 sec. on, 1:30 recovery, 2 intervals.

Yikes IceR, that's like a 7:30 pace with a huge grade at that! Nice. :thumbup: What's your recovery speed? I may try something like this (though not quite as evil). I'm getting tired of doing my intervals on the stationary bike.

IceRgrrl
08-18-2002, 08:33 PM
doc: Your concern for my well-being brings a tear to my eye *sniff* And it sounds like your dog is getting in shape along with you...good deal! :)

ectx: My 1:30 of recovery is off the treadmill walking around the gym huffing and puffing and psyching myself up for the next one. My goal is 10% grade/10 mph/18 intervals...so I've got a ways to go!

IceRgrrl
08-18-2002, 08:40 PM
My Sunday evening:
Pre-season skills clinic with several teams from our youth hockey organization...everyone seems excited for the upcoming season and many have improved over the summer with camps, workouts, etc.

The best part:
When we were done and picking up stuff after the kids got off the ice, our youth hockey president told me that there was nothing else scheduled for the ice that night, he had paperwork to do in the office and would be the one locking up...so I could stay out as long as I wanted :D

So:
Two hours of skating, shooting a couple hundred pucks, and generally screwing around with the whole ice to myself...total bliss. That's like almost as good as sex...LOL! (I said almost...it's the simple things that make me happy, what can I say?) :)

Nighty night...

Blitzforce
08-18-2002, 08:53 PM
Hey any female that does Olympic Lifts is OK in my Book :lurk:

the doc
08-18-2002, 10:12 PM
yeah she's allright in my book.

I like when i've got the whole basketball court to myself. I try things i would not normally attempt.

IceRgrrl
08-19-2002, 06:15 PM
Thanks guys :)

Made some changed today in some of the exercises and added some more stimulation for legs.

Weigh in: down to 155 lbs all of a sudden...*$&#^ hormones!!! :swear:
5 min. on treadmill, shoulder rotations (2 sets of 10), BW snatch squats (2 sets of 10), glute-ham raises (2 sets of 8...getting too easy, have to add more reps or start doing these with a plate behind my head)

Jammer extension
Added weight today so these were tough.
Set 1: 5 reps @ 85 lbs.
Set 2: 5 reps @ 95 lbs.
Set 3: 5 reps @ 105 lbs. The last 2 reps were sketchy as to form...really tired me out.

Clean pulls
3 sets of 5 to the shrug point. Went a little lighter on these to focus on the explosion upward/acceleration after the first pull and also to save more strength for the power cleans.
Set 1: 5 reps @ 109 lbs.
Set 2: 5 reps @ 129 lbs.
Set 3: 5 reps @ 139 lbs.

Power cleans
3 sets with 5 reps. Going a little lighter on the pulls left me with a little more energy to really pop these. Focusing on accelerating the bar quickly and dropping under quickly. Much better than last Monday :)
Set 3: 5 reps @ 88 lbs.

Incline press
3 sets of 5 reps. I was already pre-exhausted from the jammer extension in which the last motion in that exercise is like a sort of incline press so these were tough, esp with a little more weight up from last week.
Set 2: 5 reps @ 70 lbs.
Set 3: 3 reps + 2 forced reps 2 75 lbs.

Back squat
3 sets of 5 reps. Not posting any weight here because these are still a lower back/knee exercise for me and are not stressing my legs with the lower weight that I'm using.

Split squats
Added these to target my legs more. The squats right now are working my lower back and not my legs. The jammer exercises, cleans, and plyo sled do hit my legs, but I needed a strength movement. My trainer wanted me to go light on these until he was happy with form and was able to gauge my strength. I could have done a helluva lot more....maybe next time I'll be able to talk him into it.
Set 1: 6 reps each side @ 75 lbs.
Set 2: 6 reps each side @ 85 lbs.
Set 3: 6 reps each side @ 95 lbs.

Lateral raise
Set 1: 8 reps @ 10 lb. DB's

Rear-delt flye

Tricep pushdown
Done on the cable stack with rope attachment. Got all my reps this week with the 80 lbs. Yay.

[/b]Cable bicep curl[/b]
Set 2: 8 reps @ 70 lbs.

Abs
Three sets of 25 bent-knee full situps. Argh.

No intervals today. Friday for sure. :D

Stretch, weigh out, water: 5:30 p.m.

ElPietro
08-19-2002, 06:51 PM

Done lying face-down on the incline bench

Please forgive a lewd thought

...or two. :angel:

IceRgrrl
08-19-2002, 06:58 PM
Thanks for the constructive input, piglet ! tuttut

PowerManDL
08-19-2002, 09:10 PM
LOL @ Lunchbox

IceRgrrl
08-21-2002, 05:52 PM
Wednesday: the intervals from Monday

Anaerobic intervals

30 sec. on, 1:30 recovery, 7 intervals.

This treadmill felt "faster" than the one I usually do my intervals on...8.5 mph was more like 9.0. I got 7 intervals in though, and by the last two, my lungs and legs were burning like mad! Felt good after the head rush/pain subsided :)

Pup
08-22-2002, 10:03 AM
Although she fails to mention that she faked passing out so the buff guy on the treadmill next to her would "attend" to her ;)

IceRgrrl
08-22-2002, 11:04 AM
Pfft! You must have been hallucinating again...those squats must have gone to your head instead of your a$$ :D

ElPietro
08-22-2002, 11:24 AM
Bahahaha! Oh man! Are you gonna let her say that to you Rob? :D Becareful if you decide to mess with her though...she can put up a good fight! :p

Pup
08-22-2002, 11:46 AM
Hmm...speaking of @sses ;)

...i don't back down from anyone, except allie and that's only cause its safer to just let her win.

Allie
08-22-2002, 01:16 PM
Did you just really admit that? LOL :)

I'm really not that bad, just happens that I choose my arguments well

IceRgrrl
08-22-2002, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by just_a_pup

...i don't back down from anyone, except allie and that's only cause its safer to just let her win.

Note to Peter: Please note Rob's very wise words. I think you should take this approach under consideration in the future :p

And nice title/icon, Allie! :thumbup:

Allie
08-22-2002, 11:54 PM
Thanks! LOL

I try hard to please everyone

BCC
08-22-2002, 11:56 PM
damn..that is a nice avatar :hide:

IceRgrrl
08-25-2002, 03:43 PM
Saturday: 1.5 hours of a.m. hockey, two subs per side, VERY fast skate.

Sunday: 1.5 hours of 4-on-4 hockey with no subs. Not as fast, but with no rest, it was quite tiring.

And can I just say how much female hormones really, REALLY suck :mad: :cry: :swear: :bash: :shoot: :help: How is it that I can weigh 155 on Monday, the 19th and then today, the 25th weigh in at 164??? I was in a bad mood to begin with and this certainly does not help...

PowerManDL
08-25-2002, 03:47 PM
Dang.....you weigh as much as I do!

IceRgrrl
08-26-2002, 04:46 AM
Okay, now I'm back down to 158 today, which is much more normal. Yeesh...

And PowerMan, I'm half an inch taller than you too ;)

Alex.V
08-26-2002, 07:33 AM
pffft. Female. Eat more!

;)

IceRgrrl
08-26-2002, 04:34 PM
Thanks Alex, I can always count on you for moral support :p

I forgot to mention that I got another hour or so of ice time to myself after our youth hockey clinic last night...which was the perfect way to end a not-so-great weekend on a good note. I'm noticing the effects of my training in the strength and control of my shots. My wrist shot is harder, quicker on the release, and more accurate (also helped by the fact that I just found a stick I really, really like) and last night I was having great success with putting the puck in the upper corners of the net with my backhand...my backhand has always sucked but I think there is hope :)

IceRgrrl
08-26-2002, 04:49 PM
Missed Friday's workout due to extenuating circumstances so I was really, really ready for today...had to work out some aggression and extra energy.

Weigh in: Back to good old 158 lbs.
5 min. on treadmill, shoulder rotations (2 sets of 10), BW snatch squats (2 sets of 10), glute-ham raises (2 sets of 8)

Jammer extension
Went a little lighter than last time on these and went a little heavier on subsequent exercises.
Set 3: 5 reps @ 85 lbs.

Incline press
3 sets of 5 reps.
Set 2: 5 reps @ 70 lbs.
Set 3: 5 reps @ 75 lbs. Got all five this time...whoo hoo!

Clean pulls
3 sets of 5 to the shrug point. Added weight from last week.
Set 1: 5 reps @ 133 lbs.
Set 2: 5 reps @ 153 lbs.
Set 3: 5 reps @ 153 lbs.

Power cleans
3 sets with 5 reps. Added a good bit from last time. The first set was pretty easy, the second was a little more work, and I had to rest before the 4th and 5th rep on the last set. Then I was so pleased with myself for getting through that set that I dropped the bar on the platform after the 5th, forgetting that I was supposed to re-rack the bar for squats---so I had to do one more rep to remedy that :)
Set 1: 5 reps @ 89 lbs.
Set 2: 5 reps @ 89 lbs.
Set 3: 6 reps @ 94 lbs.

Back squat
3 sets of 5 reps. Lower back feeling good, adding weight.

Lateral raise

Rear-delt flye

Tricep pushdown
Done on the cable stack with rope attachment. My two sets at 80 lbs. were almost easy this time. Will add weight next time for sure.

DB bicep curl
Set 1: 8 reps @ w/20 lb-er's
Set 2: 8 reps @ w/20 lb-er's.

Abs
Three sets of 20 reach-between-the-knees situps.

Anaerobic intervals
Lowered the incline a little today (from 10% to 8.5% in order to do more intervals and work in a little endurance)

Treadmill set at 8.5% grade/8.5 mph.
30 sec. on, 1:30 recovery, 12 intervals. Wow. It's amazing how much easier/more pleasant these were without feeling light-headed and gasping at the end.

Stretch, weigh out, water: 6:10 p.m.

IceRgrrl
08-29-2002, 04:47 AM
Wednesday: intervals
I was trapped in meetings and workshops all day and was not used to so much sitting around, so I felt that some running was in order.

Anaerobic intervals
I stayed with the slightly lower incline/more intervals theme from Monday and brought my heart rate monitor just out of curiosity.

Treadmill set at 8% grade/8.5 mph.
30 sec. on, 1:30 recovery,
12 intervals

Excluding the first intervals (when I was just getting going) and the last (when I was pretty muched tapped), it was quite fun to watch my heart rate get up to 180+ bpm and then on the recovery immediately started dropping until it got down below 130 bmp before the next interval. Feels good to see that.

Anyway, this was just what I needed to perk up, re-energize, and lift my mood a little :D

IceRgrrl
08-30-2002, 03:52 PM
Day 2 workout:
Next week my workout will be changing significantly as we move to a new phase which will include some new exercises as well as moving from sets of 5 reps to sets of 3 with higher weight on Day 1, and from sets of 8 to sets of 5 with higher weight on Day 2.

Today was a lighter day designed to ramp down a bit before the new work next week. So a lot of the weights went down a bit and I breezed through this workout :D I have to admit that I was a bit unused to "taking it easy" but since I have been noticing great results and NO trouble with my shoulder/lower back since I started working with my trainer, I trust his judgement. It's just odd not to be killing myself in the weight room!

Weigh in, the usual dynamic warm-ups :)

Plyo sled
230 lbs. of resistance

One set of 8 one-legged jumps on the left and then the right

Jammer rotation
Set 2: 5 reps @ 70 lbs. left/5 reps to the right
Set 3: 5 reps @ 70 lbs. left/5 reps to the right

Back squat
3 sets of 8, added weight for each set.

Lateral raise
Very slow cadence, pause at the top.

Rear-delt flye

Assisted pullups
Wide overhand grip. Haven't done these for awhile and I was amazed at how easy they felt this time around ;)
Set 2: 8 reps lifting 100 lbs. of me

Incline press
Piece of cake!
Set 1: 8 reps @ 55 lbs.
Set 2: 8 reps @ 65 lbs.
Set 3: 8 reps @ 65 lbs.

DB bicep curl
*Yawn* Just focused on slow cadence and control the whole way to keep it interesting.
Set 1: 8 reps @ 15 lb. DB's
Set 2: 8 reps @ 20 lb. DB's

Tricep extension
Done on cable stack with rope attachment. Hardly an effort :)

Abs
Three sets of 25 Swiss ball crunches. I can tell that my abs are a lot stronger than when I started these workouts at the beginning of July. I think the volume and variety has definitely made an impact...and kept me interested in working abs, something I tended to neglect/skip quite a bit in the past.

Anaerobic intervals
This will be the first time I've run these three times in one week. Like Monday, went with lower incline and more intervals to work endurance.
Treadmill set at 8% grade/8.0 mph
12 intervals

Stretch, weigh out, drink water, done: 5:10 pm

My gym is closed Monday for the holiday, so I'll be off until Wednesday. Which is probably a good thing because I'm having my annual summer party/campout this weekend starting on Sunday and going through Monday. Lots of hockey buddies, friends, friends of friends, work people, and a tent city in the yard around the pool. :cool:

the doc
08-30-2002, 04:05 PM
:hump:

that is all

ElPietro
08-30-2002, 09:04 PM
Plyo sled
230 lbs. of resistance

Ha! Come on baby! 15 pounds more and you can pull my bodyweight around town! Then I'll get you a harness and some tack. Of course I get the riding crop/whip, so you better not slow down! :whip: :p

IceRgrrl
08-31-2002, 10:39 AM
That's it doc, I'm going to start spamming YOUR journal...if you ever start it back up again...tuttut Now get back to it, so I can return the harrassment ;)

And Peter, I will deal with you at a later date. :p

IceRgrrl
08-31-2002, 10:40 AM
Saturday:
Whoo hoo! Had a youth hockey meeting at the rink this morning and then I had the ice to myself for nearly two hours :) I must have shot a thousand pucks...and skated about 25 miles...the whole ice rink to myself.

That was a lot of fun :D My shots are getting so much stronger and better...the result of my training. Lots more rotational power coming from the midsection and feeling generally stronger.

IceRgrrl
09-03-2002, 05:41 AM
Update:
My weekend party that started on Sunday afternoon and ended Monday afternoon was a rousing success! We had a great time, consumed lots of food and drink, learned from past experience and set up the tents BEFORE we started drinking, and we only broke one thing (halogen spotlight got hit with a football and exploded in a shower of sparks...rather dramatic).

My brother got the hardcore award for driving 6 hours on Sunday morning, partying all night, and then driving back on Monday afternoon.

This time yesterday I was emerging blinking and dazed into the morning to make coffee for my campers and now I'm about to step into my first class...what a difference a day makes.

YatesNightBlade
09-03-2002, 06:18 AM
Animal :)

IceRgrrl
09-04-2002, 10:01 AM
Well, today was not one of the good days...it fact, it rather sucked. I had a very bad night; got a lot of thinking going on and I'm trying to adjust to being back on an early morning schedule...can't fall asleep early OR stay asleep, so I ended up being awake from 12:30 to 3:00 a.m...finally got up and sat outside for a bit to clear my head and break the insomnia frustration...grrr.

So I was not feeling 100% when the alarm went off at 5:45 and it showed when I got to the gym bright and early. I'm hoping that once I get adjusted to being awake/working out in the a.m. before classes and get some decent sleep that things will improve.

Day 1 workout

Warmup: 6:30 a.m.
Weigh in: 5 min. on stepmill, shoulder rotations, BW snatch squats, glute-ham raises.

Jammer extension
Moving to a new phase this week with lower reps/higher weight.
Set 1: 3 reps @ 75 lbs.
Set 2: 3 reps @ 85 lbs.
Set 3: 3 reps @ 95 lbs.

Incline press
Again, a little higher weight and lower reps. I definitely could tell that I was not feeling right...the second set shouldn't have been as hard as it was...as a result, we went back down on the 3rd. No strength today :(
Set 1: 3 reps @ 75 lbs.
Set 2: 3 reps @ 80 lbs.
Set 3: 3 reps @ 75 lbs.

Clean pulls
Went lighter on these b/c I was supposed to go heavy on the power cleans, but I just had no pop today. Everything was a big sluggish effort.
Set 1: 5 reps @ 89 lbs.
Set 2: 4 reps @ 99 lbs.
Set 3: 3 reps @ 109 lbs.

Power cleans
Here's where it totally went to $hit. I originally started with the same weight I did three solid sets with last Monday and failed on it....just could not get it up fast and high enough to get under it. So we dropped down and went with something that I could handle today. Needless to say, I was pretty well fuming at this point. :mad:
Set 3: 6 reps @ 75 lbs.

Lateral raise
At this point my trainer could see that I was having a bad day and getting upset so he sent me off to do my shoulder stuff and relax a bit.

Rear-delt flye

Back squat
Finally some good news. Went up significantly in weight here. Apparently my strength wasn't so bad today, but my explosiveness/power was off...probably due to sleep deprivation affecting coordination, accel, whatever.
3 sets of 5 reps.

Tricep pushdown

DB bicep curl
Set 1: 8 reps @ w/15 lb-er's
Set 2: 8 reps @ w/20 lb-er's.

Abs
Three sets of 20 full bent-knee situps.

No intervals today. I needed to see how long it's going to take me to shower/dress (about 15-20 minutes), drive to school from the gym in order to make it to my first class (about a 35 min.) plus the hike (about 10 min) from the far parking lot since campus parking is so screwed up during the start of the semester...more aggravation.

Stretch, weigh out, water: 8:15 p.m.

the doc
09-04-2002, 04:47 PM
we gotta take the bad with the good...

btw my journal has returned, there's just so many it gets bumped off page one quickly

so :spam: at your leisure ;)

oh yeah

hehe

IceRgrrl
09-05-2002, 04:18 PM
Bike ride
Approximately 2 hrs. at a brisk pace with a 15 min. break about halfway through (water and Clif bar). It was nice to get out and away from people and get some mindless, goal-less activity in. If nothing else, the endorphins certainly improve my outlook on just about everything :)

And doc, just remember that you asked for it! :D

IceRgrrl
09-06-2002, 07:39 AM
Felt MUCH better this morning compared to Wednesday and I had much more energy and concentration in the workout. I finally said the hell with this insomnia thing and just resorted to drugs to let me sleep ;) I did have to tear myself away from a 4-way (chat) with Belial, doc, and pup in order to get my hours of sleep though... :D

Day 2 workout

Warm-up: 6:30 pm
Weigh in, 5 min. on treadmill, the usual dynamic exercises.

Plyo sled
230 lbs. of resistance
One set of 8 reps jumping and landing from side to side.

Jammer rotation
Set 2: 5 reps @ 70 lbs. left/5 reps to the right
Set 3: 5 reps @ 75 lbs. left/5 reps to the right

Back squat
3 sets of 5 reps, added weight for each set.

Incline press
Set 3: 5 reps @ 65 lbs.

Lateral raise

Rear-delt flye

Assisted pullups

DB cable curl
Set 1: 8 reps @ 70 lb.
Set 2: 8 reps @ 70 lb.

Abs
Three sets of 20 V-ups with a Swiss ball between my feet.

Anaerobic intervals
Doing these early in the morning is one good way to wake up in a hurry...yeesh. Went with 12 intervals again but bumped up the incline from last week and bumped up the speed on the last two.

Treadmill set at 7% grade/8.5 mph
10 intervals
Treadmill set at 7% grade/9.0 mph
2 intervals

Stretch, weigh out, drink water, done: 8:15 am

And now it's off to class... :p

Alex.V
09-06-2002, 07:49 AM
I did have to tear myself away from a 4-way (chat) with Belial, doc, and pup in order to get my hours of sleep though... :D

Was it good for you?

Glad you got more sleep. Was just curious... what did you take to knock you out? Tylenol PM?

Good workout, though. Jeez, 6:30-8:15 AM. Glad you're putting poundages, does make it easier to gauge your progress. (even though pounds =/= progress in this routine, I know). And I don't know why you hesitated. ;)

IceRgrrl
09-06-2002, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Belial

Was it good for you?

Glad you got more sleep. Was just curious... what did you take to knock you out? Tylenol PM?

Good workout, though. Jeez, 6:30-8:15 AM. Glad you're putting poundages, does make it easier to gauge your progress. (even though pounds =/= progress in this routine, I know). And I don't know why you hesitated. ;)

Well, I fell asleep right afterwards...bwhahaha! ;) Naw, it was the Ambien...good stuff. At least my doctor is good about handing out samples.

I haven't quite adjusted to the morning workouts, but I think after a few weeks my body will be more willing to exert itself at that hour. You should see the big sack of food I have to haul with me though...pre-workout snack, post-workout breakfast, post-breakfast snack, two lunches. People I work with think I eat all day long...but I guess I do!

The poundages vary from phase to phase AND from day to day within the phase with light, medium, and heavier days. Like I've mentioned before, I'm really liking having some else to manage the program so I can just show up and lift the weight...I need that simplicity right now :)

the doc
09-06-2002, 04:18 PM
man i was hurtin at work today.
I need more sleep. I'm tring to get to work by 7 or so every morning but the best i've done is 715

I think i'm going to bed at like 8 pm tonight ...lol

IceRgrrl
09-09-2002, 10:31 AM
With this phase, the weight is up and reps on most exercises are down to 3; however, these are not maximal strength triples...I'm going for power (form, acceleration, and "pop" on the dynamic exercises) and not trying to max out or go to failure. If I was trying to lift the most weight I could, the loads would be higher.

Day 1 workout

Weigh in: 5 min. on treadmill, shoulder rotations, BW snatch squats, glute-ham raises.

Clean pulls
Set 1: 4 reps @ 111 lbs.
Set 2: 4 reps @ 131 lbs.
Set 3: 3 reps @ 151 lbs.

Jammer extension
These just felt uncoordinated today for some reason...just couldn't get the whole body working together quite right so stayed at the same weight for all sets.
Set 1: 3 reps @ 85 lbs.
Set 3: 3 reps @ 85 lbs.

Power cleans
Started very light since I had a bad time with these last week and that affects me mentally more than physically. After easily flying through the first two sets, it was very satisfying to get back to the proper weight on the last. Yes!
Set 2: 3 reps @ 75 lbs.
Set 3: 3 reps @ 89 lbs.

Incline press
Set 1: 3 reps @ 65 lbs.

Back squat
Finally added some good weight. These are coming along.
3 sets of 3 reps.

Lateral raise

Rear-delt flye

Done with rope attachment.

BB bicep curl
Started too light because I hadn't done these in quite awhile. Next time I'll add more weight.
Set 1: 8 reps @ 40 lbs.
Set 2: 8 reps @ 45 lbs.

Abs
Three sets of 15 "meet-in-the-middles." These were a definitely challenge, but I was in the mood to just burn myself out. Start lying down with legs fully extended and hands behind head, bring knees/torso up to meet (upper body completely off the ground), touch right elbow to left knee, then left elbow to right knee, return to start position. At the middle, I'm was basically balancing on my upper butt.

Intervals will have to wait until tomorrow. Day 1, especially with the longer recovery needed between sets in this phase just takes more time to get through than Day 2 and I didn't want to be rushed getting to work.

Stretch, weigh out, water: 8:10 a.m.

the doc
09-09-2002, 10:44 AM
another ace workout grrrl

btw, saw you removed your face pic from the faces :(

I forgot what you look like, except that you were ace looking..lol

Alex.V
09-09-2002, 11:30 AM
Just curious... why does he have you doing isolations like bicep curls and lateral raises?

ElPietro
09-09-2002, 11:33 AM
...I'm going for power (form, acceleration, and "pop" on the dynamic exercises)

Haha! A new term to be utilized in weight lifting! "Pop"! I expect 1,001 new threads to start up debating the effect "pop" has on hypertrophy, and strength! :cool: ;)

IceRgrrl
09-09-2002, 11:39 AM
doc: Thanks :) I'm adjusting to the early a.m. workouts and it's getting a little easier to WORK at that hour. As far as the pics go, I have some hockey ones that I might post, and maybe if I come across a decent pic of myself (I don't take pictures much, but maybe if someone else has one from a party or something) I'll post it, but I'm not big on putting stuff out on the 'net.

Belial: The lateral raises along with the rear-delt flyes, and the external/internal rotations, are part of my combination shoulder work and rehab. I've had a lot of problems with my left shoulder...it's a sloppy joint and I've had impingement problems that have regularly interrupted my workouts for years. The PT at my gym, when he did my evaluation, recommended extra work to strengthen both my rotators and the overall shoulder joint. He has most of his athletes do shoulder work though. So far I've had no shoulder pain and they feel great!

The bicep/tricep stuff is what he calls "auxiliary" exercises to hit the small muscles that may not get as much stimulation from the dynamic/strength/big exercises. Since I do inclines for my chest work, my triceps don't get hit as hard as they would with flat bench and my biceps really don't do all that much except on Day 2 with the pullups. Yes, they assist along with the bi's on the other stuff, but the isolation stuff just makes sure that everything gets worked HARD.

So there's a long-winded answer to a short question ;)

El P: Hey, that's what he calls it...and you can *hear* it in the way the weights clank/smack when I do it right. It's a technical term, yeah.... :p

Alex.V
09-09-2002, 11:46 AM
Understood. I think I remember you had said the lateral raises were for shoulder rehab (they've done wonders for mine, too), but the arm isolation was interesting. Though I think incline bench hits the triceps just as hard as flat, I can see the logic for wanting to give the arms extra attention. Wondering how it fit into the big scheme of things, given that your training is extremely specific. :)

IceRgrrl
09-11-2002, 06:29 AM
Anaerobic intervals
Didn't get to do these yesterday, so I did them early this morning, since I'm getting in the habit of early morning workouts by necessity.

Bumped up the number of intervals to 14 with a slightly lower incline and increased the speed on the last four. Once I get up to the full 18 intervals, I'll be steadily increasing the incline and speed.

Treadmill set at 5% grade/8.5 mph
10 intervals

Treadmill set at 5% grade/9.0 mph
30 sec. on, 1:30 recovery
4 intervals

IceRgrrl
09-13-2002, 10:04 AM
Day 2 workout

Warm-up: 6:30 a.m.
Weigh in (down 2-3 lbs...have had no appetite this week...must force-feed myself more), 5 min. on stepmill, the usual dynamic exercises (shoulder rotations, BW snatch squat, glute-ham raises).

Plyo sled
230 lbs. of resistance. I mentioned that I hated the one-legged jumps (with this resistance and only one leg it's an effort just to get off the platform) because they are so hard. My trainer then decided that we'll have to do more of these. :cry: It's good for me though, and I do enjoy the punishment in some odd way.

Jammer rotation
Made some slight adjustments to my form at the observation of my trainer and felt a lot more power as a result. Yay!
Set 1: 3 reps to the left @ 70 lbs/3 reps to the right
Set 2: 3 reps @ 70 lbs. left/3 reps to the right
Set 3: 3 reps @ 75 lbs. left/3 reps to the right

Back squat
3 sets of 5 reps, coming along nicely now that my lower back is catching up to the rest of me :)

Incline press
Set 1: 5 reps @ 60 lbs.
Set 3: 5 reps @ 70 lbs.

Lateral raise
Very slow cadence, pause at the top. Same weight but doing these now with almost no bend in the elbows makes them harder.

Rear-delt flye
Very slow cadence, pause at the top. Again, little to no bend in the elbows now with these. I'm feeling it more in the rear delts as a result and less in the upper back.

Assisted pullups
I'll go up on these next time since they are getting almost easy :)

Cable curls
Set 1: 8 reps @ 70 lb.
Set 2: 8 reps @ 70 lb.

Abs
Three sets of 25 "reach through the knees" crunches.

Anaerobic intervals
Same protocol as Wednesday, although running these after a workout made them feel much harder. By the time I finish, I am so sweaty and tired and so hungry and my blood sugar has dropped so much (since the banana and toast I ate at 5:45 has been burned off) that I can hardly make the decision as to whether I should shower first or eat something first.

Treadmill set at 5% grade/8.5 mph
10 intervals
Treadmill set at 5% grade/9.0 mph
4 intervals

Stretch, weigh out, drink water, done: 8:30 am

the doc
09-13-2002, 10:44 AM
eat first!

women never smell bad anyway

well except those at a greatful dead show

IceRgrrl
09-16-2002, 02:25 PM
Well, overall this has been quite a "Murphy's Law" sort of Monday...starting at 3 a.m. with my dog barfing up the bar of soap she ate (Why??? It doesn't even taste good!). I had a hard time getting back to sleep after that on top of already having crappy sleep all weekend, so I didn't feel very peppy and ready to go this morning when I got up for my workout. Still, it was a decent effort and the high point of my day. :)

The Murphy curse went on throughout the day--one thing after another--including my PC at work being completely unusable, so I didn't get to post this until now...bleh. I'm just going to watch the MNF game until I fall asleep and just mercifully end this day :( At least I can be happy about my gym time this morning.

Day 1 workout

Weigh in: 5 min. on treadmill, shoulder rotations, BW snatch squats, glute-ham raises.

Clean pulls
Significantly more weight here today.
Set 1: 4 reps @ 133 lbs.
Set 2: 3 reps @ 153 lbs.
Set 3: 3 reps @ 153 lbs.

Power cleans
Got through the first and second sets but failed after the first rep on the third set. Rested and gave it a few tries, but it just wasn't happening. Still, this is the best effort yet on these.
Set 1: 3 reps @ 89 lbs.
Set 2: 3 reps @ 89 lbs.
Set 3: 1 reps @ 89 lbs.

Jammer extension
More weight on these too. I got the reps, but lacked that "pop," so I'll probably stay here for awhile since this workout is about power.
Set 1: 3 reps @ 95 lbs.
Set 2: 3 reps @ 95 lbs.
Set 3: 3 reps @ 95 lbs.

Back squat
More weight again today. Back felt okay :)
3 sets of 3 reps.

Incline press
Set 2: 3 reps @ 70 lbs.

Lateral raise

Rear-delt flye

BB bicep curl
Started with more weight this time, based on last Monday's sets and found that I had to go up for the second...nice.
Set 1: 8 reps @ 45 lbs.
Set 2: 8 reps @ 50 lbs.

Tricep pushdown
Done with rope attachment.

Abs
Three sets of 30 slide crunches. I started lying flat on my back with my legs straight out and with my hands on one hip. As I raised my leg up into the air, I raised my upper body completely off the floor while sliding my hands up to mid-shin, then lowered back down, 15 on one leg and then switched it up for 15 on the other leg. Repeat 3 times.

Intervals will be tomorrow.

Stretch, weigh out, water: 8:15 a.m.

ElPietro
09-16-2002, 02:31 PM
Great job on the power cleans girl! Oh and check you out with those massive pipes doing 50lbs on biceps! Pretty soon you'll be cracking walnuts! :p

How often do you do plyo sleds? Just curious as I didn't see them in your routine today.

IceRgrrl
09-16-2002, 02:39 PM
Plyo sled is part of Day 2 workout, on Fridays. Day 1 and Day 2 are somewhat different though they include some of the same exercises.

And thanks :)

Pup
09-16-2002, 03:09 PM
:strong:

IceRgrrl
09-17-2002, 10:45 AM
I thought I'd add some stuff about my diet/nutrition since I hadn't mentioned it here for quite awhile AND I think it's important to keep reiterating that real female athletes do not eat like actresses/models/anorexics.

I've listed below what I've been doing. My goals are to gain lean body mass and minimize fat gain, and so far it's been working quite well and I've been feeling good other than the ongoing sleep/hormone issues. Special thanks to Alex who I ran this by and who made some suggestions that I implemented ;)

Workout days:
~2400 cals, about 50% carbs, 30% protein, and 20% fat.

Non-workout days:
~2000 cals, anywhere between 40% pro/30% carb/30% fat to 40% pro/40% carb/20% fat.

Hockey days
This week and the next I start my hockey season(s) with two different teams so I'll be playing games at least twice a week (on non-workout days obviously). On hockey days I'll probably eat closer to 2600 cals, approx. 40/30/30. If you look up the cals burned/activity factor for ice hockey, you'll see why I need the extra cals.

I say approximately in a lot of places b/c I let the cals/percentages float a little between some limits (I keep a log on Fitday). I like to eat real food that I prepare myself, I do supplement with protein shakes for convenience, I eat mostly carbs from whole wheat bread, brown/white rice, pasta, other grains, and fruits/veggies. I need enough carbs to support all my activities...otherwise my energy goes to $hit. Protein comes mainly from chicken, tuna, steak, venison, cottage cheese. But it varies from day to day...I don't obsess about every gram and every mouthful, it would drive me nuts!

ElPietro
09-17-2002, 12:09 PM
Wow check you out, although, it doesn't seem like a stretch from your usual eating habits. Do the additional carbs and cals come in the form of one additional meal on your workout days, or are they spread out evenly? I'm guessing maybe this might be attributed to a pre and post workout snack/meal but am curious if that's what you've done or not.

PS. Your chasis is about due for an inspection. Please stop by my garage at your earliest convenience. :D

IceRgrrl
09-17-2002, 12:54 PM
For workouts in the morning, I have a "pre-workout snack" in the form of a banana and a piece of wheat toast (and sometimes a small glass of o.j.) right when I get up at 5:40 a.m. I'm out the door to the gym by 6:10, and then I eat immediately post-workout as I'm driving to school, usually two bagel/egg/lite cheese/lean ham sandwiches that I made the night before and sometimes a Clif bar when I have them handy. Then I do add a little to the other meals to make my calorie total.

And as for that other comment... tuttut

;)

IceRgrrl
09-17-2002, 12:56 PM
Anaerobic intervals
Nice way to beat the mid-afternoon slump. Got out of a meeting, quickly changed clothes in my office, and walked over to the rec center to run :) Now I'm feeling nice and sweaty and endorphin-powered.

This time I upped the incline to 6% for the duration and upped the speed on the last 6 intervals for a total of 16...progress.

Treadmill set at 6% grade/8.5 mph
10 intervals

Treadmill set at 6% grade/9.0 mph
6 intervals

the doc
09-18-2002, 11:00 AM
very impressive as always Ice!

I miss venison so much. Its been almost 2 months since i ran out. And still have a way to go before the season gets rollin'

I think that diet is right on for your needs.

2400 cals - lol
you need to show this diet to ritzol so we can get her out of this starvation mode

the doc
09-18-2002, 11:01 AM
one other thing would be to up the cars and fat on your hockey days (perhaps another 300-400 cals), I assume these games are 1-2 hours of some high intensity exercise

IceRgrrl
09-18-2002, 11:28 AM
Thanks doc :) Yeah, I get spoiled with all that venison...I think I like it even more than beef...more flavor, less fat.

As for hockey days, I do up the cals to about 2600...games last about an hour or so.

As for chicks with starvation complexes, not to be harsh, but they are not exactly rare and all are set in their ways. They are not going to change until they want to/are ready to so laying out the facts is not going to make a damn bit of difference. Each one thinks that she knows best for her body, that aiming for a zero-to-negative energy balance (eat a few calories and exercise enough to burn them all off) is going to make her achieve the "perfect body " and the laws of physics/basic biology/nutrition do not apply to her. Meanwhile, they want attention and praise for being "so good" and sticking to their starvation plan.

I've been through it with friends, family, and many others, and other than voicing your concern (which will generally get you a defensive rant) it's best to just stay out of it. As my dad always said, once you're 18 you're free to fukk up your life however you want to.

the doc
09-18-2002, 03:26 PM
true dat

IceRgrrl
09-20-2002, 07:36 AM
Had a hockey game---the first of the new season---late last night. It was a fun, physical game (I love those!) and I could definitely feel the improvement since I started my new training. I had lots of endurance/recovery (thanks to those intervals) and overall felt stronger, faster, more powerful. Got to level someone that I don't care for as well...SO satisfying :D

BUT I didn't get home until after midnight and by the time I wound down from the game and got to sleep, it was nearly 2. When the alarm went off at 5:45, I thought this morning's workout was going to suck, but surprisingly once I got going I felt great and had a good one! Wonders never cease...maybe sleep deprivation agrees with me...

Day 2 workout

Weigh in, 5 min. on treadmill, the usual dynamic exercises (shoulder rotations, BW snatch squat, glute-ham raises).

Plyo sled
230 lbs. of resistance. I had more "spring" today for some reason and my jumps felt strong, even the hateful one-legged ones :)

Jammer rotation
Set 1: 3 reps to the left @ 70 lbs/3 reps to the right
Set 2: 3 reps @ 70 lbs. left/3 reps to the right
Set 3: 3 reps @ 75 lbs. left/3 reps to the right

Back squat
3 sets of 5 reps.

Incline press
All sets were solid and easy today, but today is supposed to be easier than Day 1 anyway, so who knows...
Set 3: 5 reps @ 70 lbs.

Lateral raise

Rear-delt flye

Assisted pullups
Went with less assist on the first set and it was a good one...didn't fail until the last rep. But it tired me out pretty well so went a little lighter on the second.
Set 1: 7 reps lifting 110 lbs. of me

Tricep extension
Did these on the cable machine but with a narrow-grip bar attachment instead of the rope. I found I could up the weight as a result.
Set 1: 8 reps @ 90 lbs.

DB curls
My bi's were tired from the pullups so the second set was tough...the last two reps were sheer stubborness!
Set 1: 8 reps @ w/20 lb-ers
Set 2: 8 reps @ w/20 lb-ers

Abs
My trainer was doing "trivia day" today and since I correctly answered the trivia question o' the day, I didn't have to do abs :D But I'll probably do them tomorrow anyways...workhorse that I am.

I will run intervals again tomorrow. I'd rather have day of recovery in there so I can make it a good effort rather than run them less than 8 hour after a hockey game and on no sleep.

Stretch, weigh out, drink water, done: 8:00 am.
Not doing abs or intervals meant that I could take more than a 3 min. shower, drive near the speed limit, and even stop for an orange juice to go with my egg sandwiches on the way to work :) And an older lady who comes to the facility for physical therapy was very amused by my Dr. Seuss towel in the locker room...LOL!

ElPietro
09-20-2002, 08:03 AM
Please tell your trainer you want to focus on increasing your plyo sled weight. You still cannot pull my bodyweight which should be your ultimate goal. How are you supposed to drag me around on a sled if you cannot pull my weight!

Ps. you should change your title to "Goon". You know why. ;)

Good thing those incline presses were easy. I remember a time not long ago when they would have been difficult though. So it's good you are progressing nicely on these. :thumbup:

the doc
09-20-2002, 09:35 AM
you'll be crashing hard this weekend :)

IceRgrrl
09-20-2002, 10:29 AM
El P, here's a picture/description of the plyo sled that might give a better idea of what those exercises are all about:

http://www.topazusa.com/plyofeatures.htm

As you can probably see, it has nothing to do with pulling anyone around on a sled, so if you still have those ideas I recommend a few nice Siberian huskies :p

And thanks for the perspective on the inclines. You're right....they have come a ways when I think about it :)

doc: I think I'll be spending a lot of quality time on the couch this weekend...the weather is supposed to be rainy/crappy, I have piles of grading to do, and I just got DirectTV and the NFL package, so I'll be watching a lot of football! College games on Sat. and pro games on Sunday...I love fall :D

ElPietro
09-20-2002, 12:20 PM
El P, here's a picture/description of the plyo sled that might give a better idea of what those exercises are all about:

http://www.topazusa.com/plyofeatures.htm

As you can probably see, it has nothing to do with pulling anyone around on a sled, so if you still have those ideas I recommend a few nice Siberian huskies :p

Oh, bah! That is just a lazy method of performing a jump squat. I don't know why I was thinking it was sorta like a GPP type movement of dragging weight around on a sled. Oh well...so much for that alternate method of transportation. Piggy-back maybe? :p

Blitzforce
09-20-2002, 06:16 PM
About the plyo sled - what's wrong with good old jump squats? :)

the doc
09-20-2002, 06:32 PM
... I just got DirectTV and the NFL package, so I'll be watching a lot of football! College games on Sat. and pro games on Sunday...:D

perfect, absolutely perfect!

:thumbup:

Franjipani
09-21-2002, 03:16 AM
Way to go IceR:thumbup:..... Reading about your game of hockey gets me all sentimental (used to play field hockey);)...

IceRgrrl
09-21-2002, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Blitzforce
About the plyo sled - what's wrong with good old jump squats? :)

Well, for one thing, I don't have to worry about form or my lower back. Lying back on the sled, all that's moving is my legs so I can really just go all out/max. effort concentrated on jumping as hard as I can instead of balancing the weight/keeping my form. I have lower back issues that I'm working on with my back squats (they are not heavy enough to stress my legs really but my back is getting much more stable).

Plus, on the plyo sled I do more than just jump straight up/back like I would with jump squats. I also do pattern jumps---side to side/from one side of the platform to the other, diagonal corner-to-corner, other "quick feet" patterns that would be difficult to do standing up with weight on my back.

IceRgrrl
09-21-2002, 12:46 PM
Fran: a bunch of my youth hockey players also play field hockey...looks like a fun game except for the part about wearing skirts ;)

doc: Hey, it makes grading papers a lot more appealing :D I got the NHL Center Ice package too...everyone's invited to my house to watch sports this winter :D

Mystic Eric
09-21-2002, 01:31 PM
everyone's invited to my house to watch sports this winter :D

Even me?!?!?! :D

Pup
09-21-2002, 01:50 PM
We almost lost today icer...i think they need to string up chris perry...fumbleitis should be punishable by death.

IceRgrrl
09-21-2002, 04:07 PM
Ack, you're right...I watched most of that game and I can't believe that we had that much trouble with a team like Utah. It was an ugly win...

But I'm watching the Ohio State/Cincy game and the Bearcats are taking it to those damn Buckeyes, which is quite satisfying ;)

IceRgrrl
09-21-2002, 04:10 PM
Anaerobic intervals
It's amazing how much easier these feel when it's not early in the morning and right after an hour and a half or so of weights!

10 intervals

5 intervals

And just because I felt like it, I went to 10 mph on the last one :D
Treadmill set at 6% grade/10.0 mph
1 interval

ectx
09-21-2002, 04:56 PM
And just because I felt like it, I went to 10 mph on the last one :D
Treadmill set at 6% grade/10.0 mph
1 interval

showoff.

:thumbup:

IceRgrrl
09-22-2002, 10:49 AM
Naw, just beating up on myself :) Doing these intervals on non-lifting days seems to work out better for me because it adds activity to two more days of the week AND gives me another outlet for energy/aggression/irritation/frustration/antsy-ness/whatever.

And I completely forgot to add that I also did abs yesterday, probably b/c I did them at home during commercials whilst watching football instead of at the gym!

Abs
Three sets of 25 crunches on the Swiss ball. Added challenge of avoiding dogs who wanted to lick my face whenever I reached the down point of each crunch...

the doc
09-22-2002, 11:09 AM
what i wouldn't give to be one of your dogs .... hehe

Pup
09-22-2002, 02:53 PM
*giggle*

IceRgrrl
09-23-2002, 07:36 AM
You guys...tuttut

But doc, at least you'd probably have better breath than my dogs...eeeewwww! ;)

IceRgrrl
09-23-2002, 07:49 AM
I HATE Monday and I hate early morning....*grumble grumble grumble* Good thing today was a little lighter day :) I'm a little sore in the shoulder area from playing football with a bunch of guys yesterday between watching games. I caught almost everything that came near me and quarterbacked for a bit too....got lots of incredulous comments on my nice tight spiral passes :D (thanks to my dad, the football coach)...or maybe they were just surprised that a girl can throw. :p

Lesson of the game: Turn the electric fence OFF if it's near the sideline of the playing area!!!
"WATCH OUT FOR THE....*zzzt!*.....yeah, that."

Day 1 workout

Weigh in: 5 min. on stepmill, shoulder rotations, BW snatch squats, glute-ham raises.

Jammer extension
Lowered the weight. going for more explosiveness/speed on these.

Clean pulls
Set 2: 3 reps @ 153 lbs.

Power cleans
Making some adjustments to my form so while we're working on that the weight goes down a little. A few steps back to get ready for future jumps forward, or at least that's how I'm looking at it.
Set 3: 1 reps @ 80 lbs.

Back squat
3 sets of 3 reps.

Incline press

Lateral raise

Rear-delt flye
Here is where I REALLY felt the DOMS in my throwing shoulder from playing football yesterday...ouch. I'll just have to play more often until I adapt ;)

BB bicep curl
Up in weight again...whoo hoo!
Set 1: 8 reps @ 50 lbs.
Set 2: 6 reps @ 55 lbs. + 2 forced reps

Assisted dips
I don't do these very much b/c they tend to stress my shoulders, but just for variety, it sounded like a good idea today.
Set 1: 8 reps @ lifting 120 lbs. of me
Set 2: 8 reps @ lifting 120 lbs. of me

Abs
It was another trivia day and since I got the question right again, no abs today...but I'll do them tonight or tomorrow anyways.

Intervals will be tomorrow as well, between office hours and a department meeting.

Stretch, weigh out, water: 8:00 a.m.

IceRgrrl
09-24-2002, 10:49 AM
Anaerobic intervals
Went to 18 total intervals today for the first time. From now on I'll be always running 18 and making increases in the incline and speed from week to week.

12 intervals

Treadmill set at 6% grade/9.5mph
6 intervals

Ah, that sweaty, worn out, heart-pounding, but exhilarating feeling ;)

ElPietro
09-24-2002, 10:51 AM
Awww...you're so cute when you are sweaty. :)

the doc
09-24-2002, 03:26 PM
*insert suggestive comment here *

Alex.V
09-24-2002, 03:33 PM
In an effort to actually contribute something, I have to ask... are those intervals compromising your leg training at all?

Everyone resume flirtation.

the doc
09-24-2002, 03:38 PM
hot and sweat icerrr makes doc go

the doc
09-24-2002, 03:39 PM
seriously though, they have to be. I know my recent infatuation with running has to an extent.

IceRgrrl
09-24-2002, 05:09 PM
B: No, not really. If I do them on workout days (M/F) I do them at the end, after the weights are done. If I do them on Tuesday/Saturday, that's all I do on those days. And to be honest, I feel the effects of the intervals more in my heart/lungs than my legs now.

Also, I'm training for hockey, and these intervals mimic the "skate hard for a shift, sit through the other lines' shifts" effort of a game. Both the leg training and the intervals are both aimed at making me a better player, so I don't stress one over the other generally :)

And El P and doc, I appreciate your appreciation ;)

IceRgrrl
09-24-2002, 05:11 PM
Abs
Since I got a free pass on them on Monday, I snuck them in today.

One set of 25 bent-knee full situps.
One set of 25 crunches on the Swiss ball.
One set of 25 oblique crunches on the Swiss ball.

IceRgrrl
09-26-2002, 09:02 AM
Random life observations:
I'm going through some sort of phase right now where I've been solving my problems with extremely direct methods...i.e., resolving the conflict/tension at it's source in the most basic ways. And though I'm a little ashamed to admit this, sometimes those "basic ways" have involved volume and/or violence. I just have had little time/energy/patience for the diplomatic/Oprah/let's-talk-this to death approach which I secretly hate even at my best.

The odd thing is that said problems are not only getting solved quickly and expeditiously, but people who would normally be bugging/whining/bothering/pi$$ing me off are not just leaving me alone but also ki$$ing my ass...which is wierd.

I've always suspected that civilization is a veneer and some of us are closer to our barbarian ancestors...that's why brute force is such a tempting tool...just kind of a fractured thing to experience it.

And I am seriously sleep deprived so that's my disclaimer on this post :D I think about weird things when I'm semi-conscious. Like the fact that this calls to mind the Arrogant Worms' song "Malcolm Solves His Problems With A Chainsaw"

PowerManDL
09-26-2002, 09:08 AM
IceRgrrl is teh suck

Reinier
09-26-2002, 10:25 AM
?

IceRgrrl
09-27-2002, 10:03 AM
Hockey again last night, but at a decent hour this time. I can't believe how good I feel during a game...the intervals and the workouts have definitely had an impact. Guys who run into me (or vice versa) are surprised that I'm a much more solid and stable obstacle than I appear ;)

Also noticed this morning that my neck/top of my traps must be getting bigger b/c I put on a necklace that I haven't worn in quite awhile and I had to clasp it at a much different point that I used to...the old way left it way too tight...cool!

Day 2 workout

Weigh in, 5 min. on stepmill, the usual dynamic exercises (shoulder rotations, BW snatch squat, glute-ham raises).

Plyo sled
230 lbs. of resistance. Started off with the hateful one-legged jumps, then proceeded to a multi-spot pattern set (hello lactic acid burning), and finished off with the straight jumps.

One set of 8 reps of 5 spot jumping pattern = 40 jumps total

Jammer rotation
Set 1: 3 reps to the left @ 95 lbs/3 reps to the right
Set 2: 3 reps @ 95 lbs. left/3 reps to the right
Set 3: 3 reps @ 95 lbs. left/3 reps to the right

Back squat
3 sets of 5 reps.

Incline press
Easy sets today.
Set 3: 5 reps @ 65 lbs.

Assisted pullups
These felt much harder than last Friday for some unknown reason. Same weight, but just didn't have it today with these.
Set 1: 7 reps lifting 110 lbs. of me
Set 2: 7 reps lifting 100 lbs. of me

Lateral raise

Rear-delt flye

DB curls
Set 1: 8 reps @ w/20 lb-ers
Set 2: 8 reps @ w/20 lb-ers

Assisted dips
Set 1: 8 reps lifting 120 lbs. of me
Set 2: 8 reps lifting 120 lbs. of me

Abs
Three sets of 20 "meet in the middles" as described in a previous post. Killer...

Stretch, weigh out, drink water, done: 8:10 am.

Intervals will be tomorrow's workout 'o the day.

ElPietro
09-27-2002, 10:58 AM
Random life observations:
I'm going through some sort of phase right now where I've been solving my problems with extremely direct methods...i.e., resolving the conflict/tension at it's source in the most basic ways. And though I'm a little ashamed to admit this, sometimes those "basic ways" have involved volume and/or violence. I just have had little time/energy/patience for the diplomatic/Oprah/let's-talk-this to death approach which I secretly hate even at my best.

The odd thing is that said problems are not only getting solved quickly and expeditiously, but people who would normally be bugging/whining/bothering/pi$$ing me off are not just leaving me alone but also ki$$ing my ass...which is wierd.

I've always suspected that civilization is a veneer and some of us are closer to our barbarian ancestors...that's why brute force is such a tempting tool...just kind of a fractured thing to experience it.

And I am seriously sleep deprived so that's my disclaimer on this post :D I think about weird things when I'm semi-conscious. Like the fact that this calls to mind the Arrogant Worms' song "Malcolm Solves His Problems With A Chainsaw"

[Baby Talk] Awww, you're so cute.[/Baby Talk] :)

All kidding aside it's cool that you realize that sometimes being direct is a better choice than going the whole diplomatic route. I am sure you are a fearsome warrior when in full battle mode. :D

IceRgrrl
09-29-2002, 06:11 PM
Heh...thanks, but I think I'm just stressed and it has to come out somehow...I'm sure it's a phase and will pass. :/

IceRgrrl
09-29-2002, 06:13 PM
Anaerobic intervals
Funny how no matter what else is going on I always make sure that my workout gets done.

12 intervals

6 intervals

IceRgrrl
09-30-2002, 10:38 AM
This is the last week of this phase, so this week's workouts are a little lighter, ramping down to an "in season" phase designed to keep gains from the off season while playing games. I'm going to be lifting still on Monday/Friday, running intervals on Tuesday/Saturday, playing games on Wednesday/Thursday (and sometimes weekends), and Sunday I will try to keep as a complete rest day.

Day 1 workout

Clean pulls
Set 2: 3 reps @ 143 lbs.

Power cleans
Set 3: 1 reps @ 80 lbs.

Jammer extension

Back squat
3 sets of 3 reps.

Incline press
Set 2: 3 reps @ 70 lbs.

Lateral raise

Rear-delt flye

BB bicep curl
Set 1: 8 reps @ 50 lbs.
Set 2: 8 reps @ 55 lbs.

Tricep pushdown w/rope
Set 2: 7 reps @ 90 lbs.

Abs
Three sets of 20 bent-knee full situps, slow and controlled.

Intervals tomorrow.

Stretch, weigh out, water: 8:10 a.m.

Diet/nutrition were both crappy (not enough sleep or food) over the weekend, so I'm going to try to remedy that this week.

the doc
09-30-2002, 11:07 AM
goddamn that is a full week.

I was with ya on the poor diet this weekend. But i went to the store and am ready to go for the week ;)

can you refresh me on the jammer extension?

IceRgrrl
09-30-2002, 11:29 AM
Sure, here's a link to a picture of the machine and my explanation...

http://www.coachsos.com/jammers.html

Basically you stand in the machine, feet back, leaning forward on your toes with hands on handles, then rock backwards and explode forward and upwards with the whole body while extending arms up overhead. It's liking coiling and releasing a spring.

the doc
09-30-2002, 12:53 PM
cool exercise :)

IceRgrrl
10-01-2002, 07:23 AM
Thanks doc :) It IS fun...very cathartic too since you get to throw your whole body violently against the weight. It also really shows you your weak links, which is shoulders for me. I'm strong off my legs and chest, but when I have to press the weight up from my chest area to overhead, that's where I feel it.

IceRgrrl
10-01-2002, 06:00 PM
Anaerobic intervals
Ran these on my treadmill in the laundry room. I think my treadmill is faster than the one I usually do these on at the gym.... it felt like it anyways.

But the upside of running at home is a) I can blast whatever music I'm fixated on/inspired by at the moment, b) I can dance between intervals during the recovery (at least until about interval 10 when I'm too tired), and c) I can spit in the laundry sink that just happens to be right next to the treadmill :D Hey, sometimes it's the little things that get you through the day...

12 intervals

6 intervals

the doc
10-01-2002, 06:43 PM
I can spit in the laundry sink that just happens to be right next to the treadmill

goddamn i love you woman ;)

IceRgrrl
10-03-2002, 05:41 AM
Notes on diet and such:
This whole past month (September) I've been really strict and careful with my diet as outlined several posts ago. I am happy to say that despite some minor non-lifting related disruption, I've gotten into quite a good habit with cycling my cals around workouts and such and am starting to get some nice results...lots more muscle definition and generally good energy for everything. I gained some good weight over the summer and am now just cutting back a little to keep the fat under control.

And these days I'm glad to have something controllable to obsess over.

IceRgrrl
10-04-2002, 07:38 AM
Late hockey game last night so this one was done on about four hours of very bad sleep...still managed to have a decent workout once I got going and got some motivation flowing. My Yoda-like strength coach was full of interesting stories and philosophy this morning too...so I feel like I've been to my equivalent of church or something already today. Getting up early is worth it, especially since the other people who are supposed to train at 6:30 rarely make it until near 8:00, so I have my trainer's undivided attention for nearly 2 hours.

Day 2 workout

Weigh in, 5 min. on stepmill, the usual dynamic exercises (shoulder rotations, BW snatch squat, glute-ham raises).

Plyo sled
230 lbs. of resistance.

One set of 8 reps jumping side to side on the platform .
One set of 8 reps of 9 spot jumping pattern = 72 jumps total..I really thought I was going to throw up at the end of this one...my legs wer burning, rubbery, and I was exhausted.

Jammer rotation
Lots of "pop" today...I like these violent movements, even before 7 a.m....

Back squat
3 sets of 5 reps.

Incline press
Set 2: 5 reps @ 75lbs.
Set 3: 5 reps @ 75 lbs.

Assisted pullups
Set 1: 7 reps + 1 forced rep lifting 110 lbs. of me

Lateral raise
Went up to the 12's after the first set.
Set 2: 6 reps @ 12 lb. DB's

Rear-delt flye

Overhead tricep press
Cable stack with rope.
Set 2: 7 reps @ 85 lbs.

Cable curls

Abs
Three sets of 20 Russian twists with a medicine ball held overhead done with shoulders on a Swiss ball.

Stretch, weigh out, drink water, done: 8:15 am.

Intervals tomorrow after hockey practice and such...

the doc
10-04-2002, 07:46 AM
very impressive as usual ice

ElPietro
10-04-2002, 07:49 AM
Why have you not increased your incline press weight? This is a problem area for you, so I'd figure you'd want to keep this progressing...and I'm sure you can do that weight relatively easily now can't you? And if you can't, then it may be because you have been pushing the same weight for quite some time now no? Just wondering why your trainer hasn't had it increased at all? Even by a small increment.

IceRgrrl
10-04-2002, 10:14 AM
I went back and looked at the overall pattern, and it's definitely increasing (listed at the end). It was actually really interesting to do this :)

The increase been slow but steady. Remember that the phase of my workouts changes every few weeks and inside of a phase, there are lighter days and heavier days. Also, I do inclines AFTER my dynamic exercises...jammer extensions/rotations also really work the chest muscles, esp extensions, in which the last movement is basically an incline press. So my incline weight takes that into consideration (since I'm pre-fatigued), plus the occasional off day...if he sees that I'm just not 100%, he adjusts just like when I'm having an awesome day, we may add more than scheduled.

I'm also doing inclines twice a week and not always to failure so the weights posted may look misleading if you're looking for the typical bodybuilder max. lift/progression in every workout. And just due to my shoulders and my build, inclines have never been a huge strong point for me. But based on the improvements I've felt on the ice (much harder shot, better strength and power) and the fact that I'm having no shoulder problems, I trust what he's doing. If his methods worked for DI/pro/Olympic athletes, I think it will work for me :)

5 @ 55
5 @ 65
5 @ 75

8 @ 55
8 @ 60
8 @ 65

5 @ 65
5 @ 70
3 @ 75

5 @ 65
5 @ 70
5 @ 75

8 @ 55
8 @ 65
8 @ 65

3 @ 75
3 @ 80
3 @ 75

5 @ 55
5 @ 65
5 @ 65

3 @ 65
3 @ 75
3 @ 75

5 @ 60
5 @ 65
5 @ 70

3 @ 65
3 @ 70
3 @ 75

5 @ 55
5 @ 65
5 @ 70

3 @ 65
3 @ 75
3 @ 75

5 @ 55
5 @ 65
5 @ 65

3 @ 65
3 @ 70
3 @ 75

5 @ 65
5 @ 75
5 @ 75

ElPietro
10-04-2002, 11:20 AM
Ok, I think I missed that you did two sets of 5 at 75. Which is more than you've done before. I just thought that one of your goals was increased shoulder strenght, and while this is occuring, feel that you could have probably gone to 80 or 90lbs long ago. I know if you keep doing the same weight roughly it will always feel slightly heavy, whereas if you went to 80 or 90 and revisited 75 it would feel light. But I guess you have other exercises also taking into account shoulder strength anyway. Good work.

IceRgrrl
10-07-2002, 07:14 AM
Busy, hectic weekend so I didn't run intervals on Saturday but I did play hockey that night so I figure that takes care of the cardio :)

Last night after my youth hockey practice there was a goalie clinic at our rink and one of the goalie coaches asked me if I could stay and be a shooter for one of the drill stations...so I shot pucks (hundreds) high on the glove side constantly for over an hour last night...fun practice for me and I was surprised that though my back, shoulders, and forearms/wrists definitely felt tired at the end, they feel fine today...no soreness or stiffness. :)

Today I started an "in season" phase of my lifting. The exercises are split up differently between the two days, the reps are higher/weight is slightly lower and not so much volume in general. This is designed to keep the gains but avoid overtraining when I'm playing a lot of games. The rep/weight scheme will change up every few weeks or so.

Day 1 workout

Power cleans
Today we worked a lot on little things with form and technique and I definitely could feel the improvement over these sets. I'm coming up faster, racking the pull with more "pop" and getting under the bar faster.

Jammer extension

Back squat
For some reason, the first set always feels crappy...like I'm not quite balanced, not quite settled, and then the second and third feel really good. That first set I must need to warm up, get my flexibility going, and mentally lock in or something.
1 set of 10 reps, 2 sets of 8 reps

Lateral raise
These were much easier since we didn't do clean pulls and incline press today. Next time I'll do both sets with the 12's.
Set 2: 8 reps @ 12 lb. DB's

Tricep pushdown w/rope

Abs
Three sets of 20 crunches on the Swiss ball.

Stretch, weigh out, water: 7:45 a.m.

IceRgrrl
10-10-2002, 09:23 AM
Since I've been fighting off a bug (sore throat and head/chest congestion), I didn't run on Tuesday.

But I felt good enough to play hockey on Wednesday night, since my Wednesday night league started this week...and I observed a common phenomenon that I've tested on several occasions---that playing hockey/sweating/exerting myself at the tail end of a cold or whatever seems to burn it out of my system and then I'm fine :) The miracle of activity....LOL!

Tonight I have another game and then Friday it's back to the regular lifting/running schedule.

ElPietro
10-10-2002, 09:47 AM
Anytime you need to sweat/exert yourself, you just let me know. :p

the doc
10-10-2002, 11:42 AM
IceRRR and me
sittin in a tree
h-u-m-p-i-n-g

IceRgrrl
10-11-2002, 07:08 AM
*sigh* Ya'll are going to get me in trouble... :p If only I had such fans in real life...LOL!

I'm giving back exams so I'm the wicked witch of the East lately...

IceRgrrl
10-11-2002, 07:24 AM
Late hockey game again last night...argh. I napped beforehand, and though it was hard to get up and get out, once the game started, I was psyched. Of course then when I get home around midnight and am all wound up, it takes me forever to get to sleep. Friday mornings are getting rough...

I had a good game last night and though I got my usual penalty per game, I drew quite a few against a pissy team who got upset over everything...which made them easy to toy with. The best one was this short little guy with a Napoleon complex who I shouldered out of my way in the corners a few times, cleared out of the front of the net a few times, and body blocked him at the blue line once. He got mad and cross-checked me in the back of the head and drew a penalty, which he then threw a fit about and complained to the ref that I was hitting him. The ref told him "No, she was kicking your a$$ with legal contact...you cross-checked her over the head, that's not. Now shut up and get in the box!" I laughed my butt off :D I love hockey :)

Back to the gym this morning:

Day 2 workout

Plyo sled
230 lbs. of resistance.

One set of * jumps straight back.
One set of 8 reps of 9 spot jumping pattern = 72 jumps total. Same once from last Friday. Though it felt slightly better this week, I still thought my quads and calves were going to self-combust about halfway through.

Jammer rotation

Crossover step-ups
Done on a wooden box about a little less than a foot and a half high. Start standing next to box, outside foot crosses over inside foot to plant on box, then push with that foot to step up onto box and bring inside foot off the ground and knee up to the chest. Immediately inside foot steps down to next to box and repeat.

3 sets of 8 reps with 20 lb. DB's

This was a pretty light weight, but we were working on getting the right form/motion/balance. More weight next time. The crossover step makes this a more multi-directional movement and mimics the crossover step on skates.

Rear-delt flye

DB curls
Set 1: 8 reps @ 20 lb-ers
Set 2: 8 reps @ 20 lb-ers.

Abs
Three sets of 20 double crunches

Stretch, weigh out, drink water, done: 7:40 am.

Back to running intervals tomorrow.

Have not been eating enough lately due to outside factors and I'm starting to feel it...not as much energy/strength and I've lost 5 lbs...not good. This weekend I'm going to make sure I force-feed myself...even if I have to drink protein shakes several times a day...

Alex.V
10-11-2002, 10:00 AM

I've lost 5 lbs...not good. This weekend I'm going to make sure I force-feed myself...even if I have to drink protein shakes several times a day...

This chick rules.

Paul Stagg
10-11-2002, 10:09 AM
Are you just figuring that out now?

IceRgrrl
10-14-2002, 07:17 AM
Thanks guys :) You're the best!

And I DID eat much better this weekend...

IceRgrrl
10-14-2002, 07:19 AM
Anaerobic intervals
Since I hadn't run these for about a week (being sick, etc.) I thought getting back to them would be rough, so I eased in a little bit, but felt surprisingly strong. Maybe I just needed a little rest :)

Treadmill set at 6% grade/8.0 mph
6 intervals

Treadmill set at 6% grade/8.5mph
6 intervals

6 intervals

IceRgrrl
10-14-2002, 07:29 AM
Day 1 workout

Clean pulls
Swapped the power cleans for these today. During this "in season" phase, the volume and workload is a bit lower so we rotate some of the exercises from week to week...that way I keep them in the rotation but don't do everything each week.
Set 2: 4 reps @ 153 lbs.
Set 3: 4 reps @ 153 lbs.

Jammer extension
Worked on form and "pop" today...getting better.

Back squat
3 sets of 10 reps

Lateral raise
Went with the heavier weight on the first set and worked on keeping arms straight/pause at the top. Tired myself out so that I dropped the weight a bit on the 2nd set so as not to sacrifice form.
Set 1: 8 reps @ 12 lb. DB's

Tricep pushdown w/rope
Both sets at 90 lbs. felt easy today :)
Set 2: 8 reps @ 90 lbs.

Abs
Three sets of 20 "reach for the sky" crunches. Start with knees bent, hands extended straight overhead above face. Crunch upper body up and reach hands up to touch target. Lower and repeat.

Intervals tomorrow.

Diet/nutrition: Much better due to force-feeding and eating on schedule even when not "hungry."

Sleep: I seem to keep alternating one night of crappy rest with one good night...like I get so tired from the first night that I can't help but sleep well the second night. But then it's back to bad, interrupted sleep the next night...yeesh...I'm losing patience with this.

the doc
10-14-2002, 07:52 AM
I believe more sex should help with the sleep issue. I am well qualified in this therapy and would help for free :D

Franjipani
10-16-2002, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by the doc
I believe more sex should help with the sleep issue. I am well qualified in this therapy and would help for free :D

LOL@this.....

IceR, I've been catching up on the last two weeks I have missed and every second post is a post like this...

10/10 for perseverance Doc !!!:p.

Your routines are fantastic IceR - so varied and intense...although I do get a tad sentimental when I read your hockey entries... :( .

Just a quickie though - what are these "Russian" crunches you speak of??

IceRgrrl
10-16-2002, 07:35 AM
LOL! Yes, our friend the doc is a flirty one...he's taken on the mission to dispell the stereotype of the science/PhD-type guy as a geek with no social game :D And he's doing a good job...

(doc, I am leaving that last comment of yours alone as I will only dig myself a deeper hole by attempting to respond :angel: Although I will question your qualifications...last I heard you were doing something with microbiology/biochemistry at OSU, not sex therapy with Masters and Johnson ;) )

Franji, thanks for your feedback :) As for the Russian twists, here's link with an explanation and some pics...you have to scroll way down in the page to see it though.

http://www.t-mag.com/html/body_123abs.html

IceRgrrl
10-16-2002, 07:37 AM
Anaerobic intervals
Back to the "normal" protocol on these. This is getting almost comfortable, so it's time for a change. Next time I'll cut back on the number of intervals but the incline and speed to mix things up.

12 intervals

Treadmill set at 6% grade/9.5 mph
6 intervals

the doc
10-16-2002, 03:08 PM
Icerrr are you liking these intervals more than standard endurance cardio?

Franjipani
10-16-2002, 09:01 PM
Thanks for the info IceR.... why am I not surprised you use the medicine ball to make it more challenging ;) ;)

IceRgrrl
10-17-2002, 05:23 AM
doc: The intervals more accurately mimic the type of cardio and use the energy system that I need for hockey...short, intense bursts of activity (mostly anaerobic) followed by recovery. So from a functional standpoint and the whole specificity principle, they are better for me than just going out and running 4 miles.

I also find that I like the "go hard for a short period/then rest...do it all over again" set-up...you can stand anything for 30 sec knowing that there's a rest coming up. And it sort of appeals to my personality/way of doing things...I tend to go all out/burn myself out for short periods of time, recover, and then do it all over again in the non-exercise parts of my life, so it fits "me," I guess :)

Franji: Yes, the medicine ball adds some difficulty, but then I was also doing the Russian twists with my shoulders on a Swiss ball, which takes some of the work off the abs (not all...I still felt it the next day) but adds a balance component. So all in all, the combination is more interesting :D

I used to hate doing abs and tended to slack on them, but now that the ab work is a must (and I have someone giving me orders/critiquing my form) and it changes every day, I find it much more fun!

ElPietro
10-17-2002, 06:51 AM
"go hard for a short period/then rest...do it all over again"

:hump: :nod:

Oh, and I'll remember the part about you saying you have much more fun being ordered around. :)

the doc
10-17-2002, 08:41 AM
um yeah, that is part of my theraputic approach

IceRgrrl
10-18-2002, 07:19 AM
Okay guys, give Mr. Humpy a break...he's getting tired and his agent is worrying about overexposure affecting the longevity of his media career :p

But thanks for reading my daily blurbs :) Glad I'm entertaining someone besides myself!

IceRgrrl
10-18-2002, 07:30 AM
This was one of those mornings where I went through the whole range of emotions about going to the gym...I had a really long day yesterday and have way too many things going on today and over the weekend, I slept badly, and just woke up feeling like I just wanted nothing more than to stay in bed and sleep rather than drag myself to the gym in the cold and dark before starting another long day.

But I got up and went because that's what I do, and I reminded myself that I've never regretted going to the gym once I got there...I only regret when I don't go. And of course once I was there and got moving, my whole mood/outlook/energy changed and I left feeling like I was ready to resume juggling chainsaws and even might be able to tell a few jokes whilst doing it :) These are the days when I'm glad that the habit carries me through the obstacles...

Day 2 workout

Weigh in, 5 min. on treadmill, the usual dynamic exercises (shoulder rotations, BW snatch squat, glute-ham raises).

Plyo sled
230 lbs. of resistance.

One set of 8 reps of 9 spot jumping pattern = 72 jumps total. This actually felt do-able today...not nearly as agonizing as the last two Fridays.
One set of 8 one-legged jumps on the left and then the right.
One set of 16 side-to-side jumps.

Jammer rotation
Set 1: 5 reps to the left @ 95 lbs/5 reps to the right
Set 2: 5 reps @ 95 lbs. left/5 reps to the right
Set 3: 5 reps @ 95 lbs. left/5 reps to the right

Crossover step-ups
Done on a wooden box about a little less than a foot and a half high. Start standing next to box, outside foot crosses over inside foot to plant on box, then push with that foot to step up onto box and bring inside foot off the ground and knee up to the chest. Immediately inside foot steps down to next to box and repeat. These are a really nice lateral combination movement and also require a good amount of balance to control the weight shifts. I like 'em.
3 sets of 8 reps with 20 lb. DB's

Rear-delt flye

Assisted pullups
6 reps @ lifting 110 lbs. of me
8 reps @ lifting 100 lbs. of me

Cable curls
Set 2: 8 reps @ 80 lb-ers.

Abs
Three sets of 20 bent-knee full situps.

Stretch, weigh out, drink water, done: 7:45 am.

Intervals tomorrow.

My youth hockey team is having an off-ice practice/conditioning session tonight and a few times over the next few weeks, and I will be running part of it along with another coach. So I'm sure I'll get in some extra work while demonstrating/doing body-weight exercises (push-ups, sit-ups, pull-ups, lunges, BW squats, plyometrics) and some interval running. Finally I get to torture someone else...*evil laugh*

ElPietro
10-18-2002, 07:44 AM
Good job sticking with it little lady! It really does make a difference once you've done your first set or two doesn't it.

I have a feeling your team is going to hate you after you take them through a conditioning session. :p

Oh and, damn you for trying to ban Mr. Humpy! He woulda been a perfect response to your "entertaining yourself" comment. I guess we'll have to use Mr. Drooling instead now! :drooling:

the doc
10-18-2002, 06:18 PM
LMAO!

Mr Drooling it is :drooling:

icerrr i am curious about the warm up routine you are using? Is this what he has people doing in general or is this specific to your workout routine?
I'm glad you decided to go to the gym! I was thinking, "nah I'm not going to run today..." for various reasons, but i got started and things just seemed to flow to completion :)

Franjipani
10-18-2002, 06:54 PM
But I got up and went because that's what I do, and I reminded myself that I've never regretted going to the gym once I got there...I only regret when I don't go. And of course once I was there and got moving, my whole mood/outlook/energy changed and I left feeling like I was ready to resume juggling chainsaws and even might be able to tell a few jokes whilst doing it :) These are the days when I'm glad that the habit carries me through the obstacles...

....and its posts like this that reinforce my motivation and give me greater momentum:thumbup: .

*lol* @ all the:drooling: .....I thought that icon was purely reserved for Eric's posts.....better be careful, you may have to start paying him royalties..:p

IceRgrrl
10-21-2002, 07:28 AM
THanks El P, doc, Franji...you all know exactly what I mean about the exercise habit and how you feel good once you get there, even on the off days :)

doc: My warm-up is generally the warm-up he uses with all his athletes. 5 min. of some sort of cardio to get the body temperature up, muscles warmed up/loosened up, heart rate up a little...then a bunch of dynamic stretches. According to the research, dynamic stretching is better for pre-workout than static stretching (which is great for post-workout). By the time I do the shoulder rotations (I can describe these if you like...we do them with a stick and it works the chest, shoulders, and back), the BW snatch squats, and the glute-ham raises, I'm feeling really warmed up and stretched out, ready to go :)

IceRgrrl
10-21-2002, 07:36 AM
No intervals on Saturday b/c I ended up playing hockey that night...a very frustrating game in which I got multiple penalties for "size differential"...it was women's hockey and the referees sucked. Whenever I established position and someone ran into me and fell down, all they saw was the little person (several people's helmets barely came up to the logo on my jersey) going down and I got the call...grrrrr. And I was holding back too, making sure that I didn't generate any hip or shoulder movement whenever there was contact. But at least it was a skating workout.

Day 2 workout

Clean pulls
Set 2: 4 reps @ 153 lbs.
Set 3: 4 reps @ 153 lbs.

Jammer extension
Tweaked form today and started the arm extension part of the movement a bit earlier...made a ton of difference.

Back squat
3 sets of 5 reps

Lateral raise
Dropped back to the 10's today b/c my shoulders were a little sore...not exactly sure why.

Overhead tricep extension w/rope
Both sets at 90 lbs. felt easy today
Set 1: 6 reps @ 90 lbs.

Abs
Three sets of 20 crunches on the Swiss ball with one foot extended...makes balancing quite a task.

Relentless
10-21-2002, 10:11 AM
No intervals on Saturday b/c I ended up playing hockey that night...a very frustrating game in which I got multiple penalties for "size differential"...it was women's hockey and the referees sucked. Whenever I established position and someone ran into me and fell down, all they saw was the little person (several people's helmets barely came up to the logo on my jersey) going down and I got the call...grrrrr. And I was holding back too, making sure that I didn't generate any hip or shoulder movement whenever there was contact. But at least it was a skating workout.

Simple solution; next time you clear a puck, do so through the ref -- at about groin level. ;)

IceRgrrl
10-23-2002, 06:38 AM
Heh...thanks Callahan. It'd probably be wasted on them though...they would never attribute it to my good aim ;)

IceRgrrl
10-23-2002, 06:42 AM
Anaerobic intervals
Ran these outside this time at the end of/after an off-ice conditioning practice with my youth hockey team. The team ran 6 intervals and then I finished my own with 12 more. It was definitely different than running them on the treadmill, but it felt good to speed through them on the ground.

30 sec. sprint/1:30 walking recovery
18 intervals

By the time I finished, it was dark, cold, and rainy so I did a hurried cool down and bailed into my truck to turn on the heat. Still got chilled by the time I got home and got the wet clothes off.

the doc
10-23-2002, 06:58 AM
goddamn woman you are so awesome! :hump:
i would walk 500 hundred miles in dark cold rainy weather for you (as long as you were wearing wet clothes when i got there) :nod:

Now i do want to hear more about this warm up routine as it sounds like a great way to start a routine. so shoot me a ring ding on the cell woman! :D

Alex.V
10-23-2002, 07:33 AM
lol @ doc

"You're amazing, call me!"

IceRgrrl
10-24-2002, 05:28 AM
Thank God for hockey. I swear it's keeping me sane. Nothing like a heated game with a hated opponent to work off a bad mood. Sometimes I think the only time I am really myself is when I'm playing...all other roles and filters drop away and for a little while I can let it all out and be just me in my natural state. Everything is simple and straightforward, effort = results, no one cares what you look like as long as you get the job done, words mean nothing and strength means a lot. There's a lot to be learned from a simple game...

the doc
10-24-2002, 05:40 AM
what has got you pissed off?

IceRgrrl
10-28-2002, 07:25 AM
Resuming regularly scheduled workouts after missing Friday due to my attendance at homecoming weekend at University of Michigan. Unfortunately, I got to witness the worst Michigan football game ever against a very sharp Iowa team...and it was cold and rainy on top of that. But things improved in the evening as I watched Michigan's hockey team beat the crap out of Univ. of Alaska-Fairbanks...so at least one Wolverine team came out on top. And I was happy b/c I got to go to two games in one day :)

Day 2 workout

Plyo sled
230 lbs. of resistance.

One set of 8 reps of jumping straight backwards.
One set of 8 one-legged jumps on the left and then the right.
One set of 16 side-to-side jumps.

Jammer rotation
Set 1: 5 reps to the left @ 100 lbs/5 reps to the right
Set 2: 5 reps @ 100 lbs. left/5 reps to the right

Crossover step-ups
1 set of 5 reps with 20 lb. DB's
1 set of 5 with 25 lb. DB's
1 set of 5 with 30 lb. DB's

Rear-delt flye

Curl machine curls
2 sets of 8 reps. Weight stack was not marked, so I have no idea how much...I just set it to where it felt like work and I was struggling at the end.

Abs
Three sets of 20 "meet in the middles." Began lying with hands behind head, legs straight out. Bring knees/legs up with upper body to touch elbows to knees at middle position. Entire upper body is off the floor.

Stretch, weigh out, drink water, done: 7:40 am.

Intervals tomorrow, either on the treadmill or on the ice if I can scrounge up some ice time...

IceRgrrl
10-28-2002, 07:39 AM
doc, to answer your question from last week...a variety of items, generally falling into the categories of unsolicited advice from people who have no clue and the glaring disconnect between many people's impression of who I am vs. who I REALLY am.

The former is just one of those things that is beyond one's control. The latter is probably mostly my own fault as I am a rather introverted individual and am not exactly an open book. Still, it would occasionally be nice if people didn't jump to assumptions based on little to no information and/or overgeneralizations.

So there's a bit of a boring non-answer...but thanks for asking ;) I still have a bunch of grad school questions to ask you when I get a minute to put my thoughts together.

the doc
10-30-2002, 06:18 AM
i'm waiting to read you ;)

the doc
10-30-2002, 06:39 AM
ok let me guess
"you shouldn't be doing all that exercise, you dont wanna get BIG do you?"

or "icer, you should really be not be so aggressive on the hockey rink, i mean they are only 5 years old and your board checks are rather rough"

IceRgrrl
10-30-2002, 06:45 AM
LOL! You are too funny, doc :) Looking over my response, I see that I did my usual lapse into formal language that I fall back on when I'm uncomfortable...spilling my guts is not my forte, on the internet or in person.

Let's just say that I seem to be (as usual) heading in a different direction than a lot of my friends/peers/acquaintances and though I don't feel the need to tell them what they are doing is weird, apparently the reverse is not true.

That and I'm sick of people younger than me thinking that I'm old and my life is basically over and the people older than me thinking that I'm still wet behind the ears and don't know anything about anything.

It's enough to make me seriously reconsider moving to Nepal and raising goats :p

Or more likely, immersing myself in the all-consuming monk-like existence of grad school...

the doc
10-30-2002, 07:44 AM
lol, icer i have a simple motto when it comes to people like that

"fuk 'em, its my life!"

Now just so you know i am not obsessed with you and hopefully to enrage your jealous side:p

i spent some time with the girl in the upstairs apartment yesterday evening. We talked for a while and then i got to go for a ride in her new car. Man she is ultra cute in the face with a yum-yum body. Seems outta my league... just graduated last year... but she invited to me to her halloween get together this fri night

:hump::hump:

IceRgrrl
10-30-2002, 08:20 AM
Yeah, that is pretty much my attitude towards those people too, but sometimes they just get on my last nerve!

And as for the girl...nice going, Mr. Smooth :) Make sure you wear an interesting costume and play up that "trick or treat" angle. :D

And how do you know what league you're in unless you try out? :cool:

Franjipani
10-31-2002, 06:21 PM
And how do you know what league you're in unless you try out? :cool:

Sheer brilliance...I'm gonna steal that line:D.

Cheer up IceR:D. People are always going to make "ass"umptions about you but just remember that NOTHING has any meaning except the meaning you give it;).

btw hockey ROCKS

IceRgrrl
11-01-2002, 08:14 AM
Thanks Franji :) You all are a great positive influence...balances out the mass of buttheads that seem greater than they are due to sheer volume...

And yes, hockey is the bomb :D

And doc...I'm waiting for the halloween party update...don't leave us in suspense for too long!

ElPietro
11-01-2002, 08:24 AM
:whazzup: :whip: :windup: :hello:

IceRgrrl
11-01-2002, 08:25 AM
Okay, last night's hockey game + out afterwards resulted in the sum total of my sleep over the past two nights equalling about 7 hours...not good. I am so comatose this morning. But sleep deprivation seems to be a good sedative...I don't have any energy to be irritated with anything and I'm very, very uncharacteristically laid back. Do people actually feel this calm on a day-to-day basis?!? Wow...must be nice...I wouldn't know ;)

Dragged my butt to the gym this morning for an okay workout...actually better than I would have expected in my current state, but not up to my usual standards. But I feel like I can make it through the day now...that's what it's all about.

Day 2 workout

Jammer extension
Form adjustments coming along nicely. I'm exploding out of the low position much better and actually leaving the ground on the final "pop."

Power cleans
Haven't done these for awhile in this maintenance phase. Working on form today and easing back into the weight.
Set 1: 5 @ 55 lbs.
Set 2: 5 @ 65 lbs.
Set 3: 5 @ 75 lbs.

Lateral raise
Dropped back to the 10's today. I know that I'm just not all there today so why frustrate myself...

Back squat
3 sets of 5 reps

Tricep pushdown w/rope
Down a little in weight due to my decreased energy levels.
Set 1: 6 reps @ 80 lbs.

Abs
Three sets of 30 bent-knee full situps with elbow-to-opposite- knee twist at the top. Killer...

ElPietro
11-01-2002, 08:34 AM
*dumps bucket of icewater on Icer's head*

IceRgrrl
11-04-2002, 08:34 AM
Weekend update: Busy, lots of youth hockey practice/conditioning session/game, played again on Saturday night for some friends of mine (highlight was my five for fighting penalty..sounds better than it was though), grading/paperwork, chores, plus lots and lots of lovely sleep (making up for last week).

Friday/Saturday I was feeling really run down and fatigued, probably due to little sleep the previous two night plus just having a really crazy week. It's amazing how a little recovery (sleep, food, peace) makes difference. This morning's workout felt 100% better than Friday's.

Day 1 workout
Doing this one again today to get back on a Monday = Day 1 and Friday = Day 2 rotation.

Power cleans
Form is coming along nicely. Little things really, really matter on these technical lifts. I've noticed that you can get the weight up with so-so form in the beginning, but as you add weight, it becomes more crucial to get the form set if you want to progress.
Set 1: 5 @ 65 lbs.
Set 2: 5 @ 75 lbs.
Set 3: 5 @ 85 lbs.

Jammer extension
Making progress due to form here too :)
Set 1: 5 reps @ 85 lbs.
Set 3: 5 reps @ 95 lbs.

Back squat
3 sets of 5 reps

Lateral raise

Tricep pushdown w/rope
Set 2: 7 reps @ 90 lbs.

Abs
Three sets of 25 "reach thrus." Start lying down with knees bent, crunch upper body off the floor while reaching through knees with extended arms.

ElPietro
11-04-2002, 08:39 AM
Hopefully you got the rest you seem to have needed over the weekend. How did your hip feel for the above workout?

Oh, and was your fight with a guy or girl? You are such a goon! :p