PDA

View Full Version : need advice

Nights
07-02-2002, 11:48 AM
Need some help putting the finishing touches on this/opinions on it. Should be a cutting diet. According to those calculators my BMR is 1888 cals, AMR is around 2650. Aiming for about a 2000 calorie diet. This is more or less a practice cut for me (nothing serious, trying to lose maybe 5 pounds), more or less to see how hard it is for me to do so when I do my first serious bulk in the winter I'll know what to expect when the snow starts fading away. Anyway, here it is:

Meal 1:
Three scrambled eggs
Bowl of Frootloops with milk
690 cals (45.5g protein/34.2g fat/53.1g carbs)

Meal 2:
canned white chicken
four slice whole wheat bread
325 cals (19/6.3/48)

Meal 3:
chicken breast
1 cup rice (or perogies)
302 cals (30/3.25/35)

Meal 4
Protein shake (banana, milk, whey protein)
365 cals (33/4.8/49.4)

Meal 5
chicken breast
1 cup rice (or perogies)
302 cals (30/3.25/35)

Total: 1986cals (159 cals protein, 52 fat, 220 carbs)
32/24/44 split..

My thinking is I need to get rid of a little of the fat (and probably some carbs), change it into protein, but I'm not really sure what to get rid of and what to change it into. So, what do you people think? Also, is the order of the meals fine.. any comments welcome. Like I said, first time trying to cut, so I need the help.

WannaBeStrong
07-02-2002, 01:32 PM
Frootloops?

MRJ
07-02-2002, 02:33 PM
Five pounds is not much of a cut.

If you only need to lose five lbs. you don't need to do a cut in my opinion.

When I want to lose/gain weight I manipulate the carb./fat ratio and maintain a minimum of 1g/1lb on the protein side.

Keep you carbs. complex, your fats unsaturated and your protein high quality. (milk, eggs, fish, beef, poultry)

Nights
07-02-2002, 02:46 PM
I need my frootloops in the morning, not quite breakfast without it. And I really don't know how much I'll cut.. like I said, this is a test run to figure out how well I can do it, and how well I can follow a set out diet.

Right now, I don't have a diet planned. I eat clean, and I eat enough that I maintain (i've gained muscle in the last year, that's kinda plainly visible, but in weight i've only gone up 6 or so pounds... an actual bulk is planned for winter). So like I said before, what would you change on this? Or does it look fine?

iLUDEd
07-04-2002, 03:16 AM
fruitloops are that breakfast cerial that is like pure sugar yeh? tuttut

in my opinion theres 2 many carbs in your diet if you want to cut.. you could take out 4 slices of bread and replace it with 1 or 2..

try and put a variety of meat in your diet, youd get sick of having chicken 3 times a day..

good luck

Nights
07-04-2002, 08:47 AM
I've been doing chicken as almost the only meat I eat (a hamburger/steak every month or so) for about a year. Variety is not a problem, cause I don't even care what I eat. But, I gave Tuna a try, and also figured out that I was reading the can wrong before.. Cut out rice in meal 3, and that's it.. Now I've got 2085 calories, with 204g of protein, 53g of fat, and 197 of carbs.

Do you really think I need to cut the carbs down more, SS? I don't really have any late in the day (meal 5 is still like 3-4 hours before sleep), and I -thought- that if I don't get enough, then my body is just going to burn the protein I give it instead (it needs energy, right?) of the carbs. Also, if you think I do need to cut down the carbs, what would you suggest I replace it with. appx 2000 carbs is right where I wanna be, so I don't want to drop it without a replacement.

And I'll probably give up the frootloops (replace it with a bagel or some bran cereal) as soon as the box is done. Promise.

iLUDEd
07-05-2002, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Nights
Now I've got 2085 calories, with 204g of protein, 53g of fat, and 197 of carbs.

looks good to me.. add in a bit more fat maybe.. like from natural peanut butter.. or unsalted peanuts..

Saint Patrick
07-05-2002, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by Nights
[B]Do you really think I need to cut the carbs down more, SS? I don't really have any late in the day (meal 5 is still like 3-4 hours before sleep), and I -thought- that if I don't get enough, then my body is just going to burn the protein I give it instead (it needs energy, right?) of the carbs. Also, if you think I do need to cut down the carbs, what would you suggest I replace it with.

The theory behind the low carb (cutting) diet is that when you lower your carbs, your metabolism will shift to burning your own fat cells for fuel instead of burning carbs and sugar.