PDA

View Full Version : Need advise

Saspirella
07-02-2002, 02:04 PM
ariel small deeppink bold

:help: Am new to this whole thing and recently cause the 'gym fever' from b/f king_luke2002. Want to lose weight, tone up and generally be healthier...any ideas for quick results??
Cheers :D

MRJ
07-02-2002, 02:25 PM
Results take time . . . There is nothing quick about getting into shape, if you do it correctly.

Saspirella
07-02-2002, 02:47 PM
Okies.....I mean as in some form of results reasnably early to motivate me more. I dont expect miracles :confused: I have heard that a low carb diet is often good, however this would surely reduce my energy levels, making it more difficult to motivate myself to work-out.
Am just under 12st and only 5ft5. Waist 31, hips and chest 36.
Help! :help:
Thx anyone!

davetha1
07-02-2002, 02:57 PM
I think its common for people to increase their protein intake while on lowcarb diets to compensate for the lack of carbs. I've never tried a lowcarb diet so i cant really comment on it, thats the extent of what i know about them. If you workout and eat clean you will see results in a short amount of time, but like MRJ said it does take time so be patient.

MRJ
07-02-2002, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by davetha1
I think its common for people to increase their protein intake while on lowcarb diets to compensate for the lack of carbs. I've never tried a lowcarb diet so i cant really comment on it, thats the extent of what i know about them. If you workout and eat clean you will see results in a short amount of time, but like MRJ said it does take time so be patient.

I'm not a proponent of any of the current fad diets, however, I do maintain anywhere between 50g and 150g in my daily intake.

I've done this over a period of time and while there was a transition period I have no problem sustaining energy for workouts, etc.

MRJ
07-02-2002, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Saspirella
Okies.....I mean as in some form of results reasnably early to motivate me more. I dont expect miracles :confused: I have heard that a low carb diet is often good, however this would surely reduce my energy levels, making it more difficult to motivate myself to work-out.
Am just under 12st and only 5ft5. Waist 31, hips and chest 36.
Help! :help:
Thx anyone!

You haven't stated your goals so any advice can only be vague. If I were to surmise about your intention I might say you wish to lose some b/f and just get FIT.

Therefore:

Get out and exercise . . . Walk, swim, lift weights, do aerobics, ride a bike . . . do something.

Get your diet in order . . . Establish your current intake and breakdown, decrease calories gradually until you reach a defecit of 500 p/day and wait . . . Note how your body reacts, how you feel, etc. . . . . Make adjustments accordingly.

As this is primarily a B/B type site much of the information you will receive is based upon the premise of gaining size (muscle) so you'll need to take everything with a grain of salt if this isn't your intent as well.

In short the formula is simple:

To lose weight expend more calories than are consumed
To gain weight consume more calories than are expended

Ensure you maintain a healthy ratio of nutrients.

Some prescribe 40p/30f/30c (The Zone diet)
Some prescribe 30/30/30 (Isocaloric)
Some prescribe 30/20/50 and on and on and on . . .

My point is everyone has an opinion and what works for one may or may not necessarily work for you, so an experiment is in order and this will take time, so be patient.

Commit yourself to a change in lifestyle which will (given enough time and committment) bring about the desired results for the remainder of your years on earth.

Thusly, you will not be relegated to the yo-yo effect so many people become entwined in as they "Try to get into shape" every couple of years or so.

Incidentally, I vary between 50 and 150 grams of carbs. p/day and have no problems with energy levels. I do resistance training 3x weekly, do cardio 2x weekly, hike & bike on the weekends, etc.

Don't believe everything you hear about low carb. diets good or bad.

Hope this helps.

OscarLip
07-03-2002, 05:22 PM
MRJ I am enterting a diet/fitness plan sorta of like yours. I just would like to know if your fit and has that plan worked for you.?

Saspirella
THere is not quick ways. But believe me start now and within a week the new good foods you eat will have you feeling better and like you have accomplished something, then when/if you do cardio you will feel like you accomplised more and then in 2 months depending on your current weight you will look better. If you do everything right you can lose up to around 20 pounds. Just keep at it and you will Really thank yourself. I know I did when i went from 5'7' 175 to 5'7' 145.