PDA

View Full Version : Too much water a possibility?

Dominator
07-02-2002, 08:14 PM
Ok, I know I can not believe all that I read, but here is an interesting article I read about drinking too much water and mainly the consciences from a lack of sodium with the excess water.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20020702/hl_nm/water_consumption_1

I feel this is a bit of extreme and also due too a lack of balanced diet, and I have never heard of it before.

Any experts please chime in and let me know what you think.

MarshallPenn
07-02-2002, 08:30 PM
Yes, you can drink too much water.

Goin_Big
07-02-2002, 08:35 PM
Seems it may be a genetic thing as well as a diet thing. I know a guy whose body doesn't naturally absorb salt, so he has to take pills and eat salt every once in a while. Now who's to say these people didn't have a less advanced form of this?

Also, I'm not sure the average person has to worry about it, do you realize how much sodium we all have each day? Plus, not alot of people have 3 gallons of water a day. Also, these people were sweating profusely, therefore they would be losing salt with every step they took, and water isn't going to replenish that salt.

Podium Kreatin
07-03-2002, 12:15 AM
one thing ppl have to know is that no one thing is the most important thing. water keeps us hydrated, but it is also a medium for certain metabolic processes. in the case of the article, low-sodium contributed to the deaths, b/c sodium and potassium are very important electrolytes. i dont' think ppl die from overhydration (too much water) tho, that i dont' agree w/. this is really odd, b/c i always thought that if u drink too much water, u'd throw up.