PDA

View Full Version : The best thing to consume after a workout?

The Badass
07-03-2002, 05:22 PM
I normally take in a big ass protein shake immediately after my workouts, but I was wondering if there is anything else I could be taking in to help my body buiild the muscle even greater.

NateDogg
07-03-2002, 05:26 PM
Dextrose and malodextrin to replace muscle glycogen. I consume approximately 50 grams immediately after a workout. Just for reference I currently weigh 185.

The Badass
07-03-2002, 05:31 PM
What's a good alternative since I am not really big on spending wads of cash on supplements...

davetha1
07-03-2002, 05:34 PM
Banana's!!

You can get whey protein for dirt cheap, like 30 cents per serving.

The Badass
07-03-2002, 05:48 PM
So a banana with a protein shake is the ideal thing to take in after a workout?

davetha1
07-03-2002, 05:52 PM
Well there are lots of things of things you can take post workout. Though for your "dont want to spend alot on supps budget" i'd say thats probally your best bet.

NateDogg
07-03-2002, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by The Badass
What's a good alternative since I am not really big on spending wads of cash on supplements...

My source for dextrose and malodextrin is not a supplement. I eat 2 packages of "Smarties" (in the US, they are sweet tart type thingys). Each package contains 25 grams of dextrose and malodextrin combined. Got a 5 lb package for like 7 bucks or something. Has lasted me a LONG TIME.

The Badass
07-03-2002, 06:06 PM
Sounds like pop tarts to me.

What about drinking a gatorade?

NateDogg
07-03-2002, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by The Badass
Sounds like pop tarts to me.

What about drinking a gatorade?

I believe gatorade has fructose as well, which replaces liver glycogen. Better to stick with dex and malo. Seriously, it can be wicked cheap!

The Badass
07-03-2002, 06:13 PM
Okay, you said you eat something called "Smarties". What are those? Are they like pop tarts? Do you know what pop tarts are?

heathj
07-03-2002, 06:17 PM
No they aren't pop tarts. They are like Sweet Tarts. The little circular things that are pure sugar.

NateDogg
07-03-2002, 06:22 PM
Smarties = http://store4.yimg.com/I/candyandstuff_1688_1327376

Nutritional info = http://www.smarties.com/
go to "products" scroll down to smarties, then go to nutritional info. The bottom serving size (1 oz) is the size of each package where I bought them (BJ's wholesale).

ND

The Badass
07-03-2002, 06:23 PM
Okay. Basically, you just need to take in some kind of sugar after a workout in addition to the protein shake.

Well, the milk I drink the protein with has like 14-28g of sugar, so I hope that suffices. It has worked for me thus far, so we'll see how it continues.

the_hall
07-03-2002, 06:30 PM
there was another thread saying why a bannana would be a bad choice. nlarge has malto and protien, and is cheap.

Saint Patrick
07-03-2002, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by NateDogg

My source for dextrose and malodextrin is not a supplement. I eat 2 packages of "Smarties" (in the US, they are sweet tart type thingys). Each package contains 25 grams of dextrose and malodextrin combined. Got a 5 lb package for like 7 bucks or something. Has lasted me a LONG TIME.

Smarties rule!

iLUDEd
07-04-2002, 02:50 AM
would you take smarties post workout with your whey if you were cutting? or stick with a banana? or whats the best thing to take with your whey if you were cutting for your post workout meal?

davetha1
07-04-2002, 02:57 AM
Originally posted by the_hall
there was another thread saying why a bannana would be a bad choice. nlarge has malto and protien, and is cheap.

It was too my understanding that bananas replaced glycogen..and were good post workout, link to the other thread?

NateDogg
07-04-2002, 06:36 AM
Originally posted by stpatrick44

Smarties rule!

Holy $hit, you're like the second person I have ever found on-line that has any idea what they are! :thumbup:

NateDogg
07-04-2002, 06:37 AM
Originally posted by SS-GOHAN
would you take smarties post workout with your whey if you were cutting? or stick with a banana? or whats the best thing to take with your whey if you were cutting for your post workout meal?

I probably still would eat the Smarties. I will let you know if I ever cut :D

iLUDEd
07-04-2002, 07:46 AM
we got smarties in australia.. but when i went to see the site, it was nothing like ours.. our smarties are like choclate m&m's

iLUDEd
07-04-2002, 08:19 AM
but arnt u supose to stay away from sugar while cutting?

Bruise Brubaker
07-04-2002, 08:23 AM
we got smarties in australia.. but when i went to see the site, it was nothing like ours.. our smarties are like choclate m&m's

Yeah, we got the samething in Canada.

The Smarties they're talking about, there are a lot of people giving that at Halloween here.

iLUDEd
07-04-2002, 08:45 AM
yeh.. i dont see how high levels of sugar like smarties would help on a cutting diet tho.. i think ill just stick with my whey and a banana as a post workout meal.. and maybe try something like smarties when im bulking

Saint Patrick
07-04-2002, 05:29 PM

So Nlarge would be a good post w/o drink for bulking??? Isn't that too much carbs for post workout?

the_hall
07-04-2002, 05:55 PM
Nlarge if for posworkout, and i think the ratios of p/c are about right.

here is the bannana thread http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=15867

davetha1
07-04-2002, 11:45 PM
Nlarge if for posworkout, and i think the ratios of p/c are about right.

here is the bannana thread http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=15867

... :scratch:

I'll look through the diet section some more about this but that thread didnt really show me anything.

iLUDEd
07-07-2002, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by NateDogg

do you get a decent amount of dextrose and malodextrin from most sugar lollies? or are the levels specificly high with smarties?

the doc
07-07-2002, 11:10 AM
eat a carbohydrate source (~80 g carbs) with little or no fiber (white rice is a vavourite of mine) and protein (preferably whey isolate) ~ 40 g

NateDogg
07-08-2002, 06:31 AM
Originally posted by SS-GOHAN

do you get a decent amount of dextrose and malodextrin from most sugar lollies? or are the levels specificly high with smarties?

Not sure what's in a sugar lollie, but I found something that works in Smarties, so I haven't really checked for anything else.

Lettuce Face
07-08-2002, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by the doc
eat a carbohydrate source (~80 g carbs) with little or no fiber (white rice is a vavourite of mine) and protein (preferably whey isolate) ~ 40 g

This person is quite correct!

You should be taking about 1g/kg (of body weight) of carbohydrates along with protein powder.

I prefer apple sauce or fruit cups.

Here is a pretty good link on the subject:

www.cbathletics.com/issues/14.htm

zillamonster
07-09-2002, 07:26 AM
What about Skittles???

NateDogg
07-09-2002, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by zillamonster
What about Skittles???

I believe those are mostly high fructose corn syrup tuttut

davetha1
07-09-2002, 08:05 AM
If you live in the United States you can get Sweetarts/Smarties at pretty much any grocery store, just use those :)

Raven Blade
07-09-2002, 05:37 PM
I am having a hard time understanding how eating candy can be good for after a workout. (or any time for that matter). Plus, how long does the "post workout" time line go for? An hour? 2?

I usually eat a granolla bar and an apple right after working out and then eat a carbo/protien balanced meal when I get home. (within an hour)

I will eat candy if it was truely good but it sounds like a load of crap to me. :fart:

NateDogg
07-09-2002, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Raven Blade
I am having a hard time understanding how eating candy can be good for after a workout. (or any time for that matter). Plus, how long does the "post workout" time line go for? An hour? 2?

I usually eat a granolla bar and an apple right after working out and then eat a carbo/protien balanced meal when I get home. (within an hour)

I will eat candy if it was truely good but it sounds like a load of crap to me. :fart:

Read this article by Maki... http://www.wannabebig.com/archive.php?catid=2
Just scroll down to where it says, Carbohydrates Post-Workout or something like that.

BTW, glucose = dextrose

Raven Blade
07-16-2002, 11:25 AM
Thanks NateDogg, I guess I better get me some candy.