PDA

View Full Version : digestive enzymes?

Short N Buff
07-04-2002, 11:05 AM
Is one reason to eat veggies and fruits b/c of their "enzyme content". i'm visiting at this other board, and these two hippies keep saying "eat veggies they're good. u don't need meat" or "u dont' need milk, spinach has more protein." One of them also got pissed cuz one person (a biochem major) posted about how soy is bad. These guys recently said that apples dont get u fat cuz of their "enzymes to help digest the food". same for other veggies. is this true?? i never heard of such thing in my 2 years bodybuilding. is this BS or real?

Manveet
07-04-2002, 12:11 PM
I seriously have never ever heard of the idea that fruit has enzymes. That doesn't biologicaly (spl) make sense, since nearly every enzyme is composed of protein and fruit is mostly carbs.

Short N Buff
07-04-2002, 03:14 PM
My argument that the enzymes is not possible because "why would a organism (from a biologists point of view) make enzymes to digest themselves? and why meat doesn't have it". he said "of course, animals don't have enzymes. they dont' wanna get eaten. plants do becuase they are differnt". WTF?

raniali
07-05-2002, 11:58 AM
Actually - many of the citrus fruits are known for their digestive properties, esp papaya, mango and pineapple. Perhaps its the high acid content, but many digestive enzyme tabs are made from components from these fruits.

And, Manveet, fruit has enzymes. Every living thing has enzymes. Life exists because of enzymes.

Eating these fruits or taking enzyme pills after high protein meals has been purported to increase protein digestion and, therefore, uptake. I don't usually eat fruit so I can't speak from experience.

Podium Kreatin
07-05-2002, 07:57 PM
livign things have enzymes to carry metabolic processes, but to use digestive enzymes from food is very odd. fruits do not have enzymes to digest fruit, they have enzymes to, say, carry out photosynthesis.

btw, acids and enzymes are not the same. i never heard of eating fruit w/ protein will increase its digetsion (fruit and protein shake??? bleh!).

also, meat doesn't require much enzymes to digest. believe it or not, u can swallow meat whole and u can digest it very well as if you chewed it. its plants that require chewing. herbivores have cecum (homogenous to the human appendix) that harbor bacteria which digest plant. so, i'm not too sure about fruit assisting digestion at all...

Manveet
07-05-2002, 11:24 PM
And, Manveet, fruit has enzymes. Every living thing has enzymes. Life exists because of enzymes.

I stand corrected.

breeze
07-06-2002, 09:07 AM
It would make sense from an evolutionary biology perspective for fruits to have digestive enzymes. The whole purpose of fruit is to be eaten by animals who then pass the seeds out through the digestive track, more or less.. That being the case, it would make sense for the plant to put enzymes in the fruit to help the animal digest the fleshy part of the fruit. If an animal eats a fruit that causes digestive problems it probably wouldn't eat that fruit again. The fruit plant can't have that if it wants to survive. So, the plant just might put digestive enzymes in fruits to increase the efficiency of digesting that fruit.

Podium Kreatin
07-06-2002, 11:10 AM
fruits attract animals b/c they are very sweet. our bodies have sugar digestive enzymes on our saliva to break down sugars, such as amylase. if fruits truly had enzymes to digest themselves, they will bruise on their own, and rot, because they are digesting themselves. there is no way they "come w/ digestive enzymes just in case they get eaten" because organisms don't use enzymes from other organisms (unless they are baceteria).

also, seeds are indigestible, but they dont' cause digestive problems.

fruits are fairly easy to digest in the first place. animals can eat them whole, that's y they never spit out the seeds, esp since the core is the least sweet part.

as for fruit enzymes digesting meat easier... that still doesn't make sense. carnivores get more energy from their fat from the animals they eat, and rarely have i heard carnivores eating fruits.

breeze
07-06-2002, 12:56 PM
Here is an excerpt from an article on enzymes.

LE Magazine April 1999
Digestive Enzymes:
The
Missing
Link

"Digestive organs such as the pancreas and liver produce most of the body's digestive enzymes, while the remainder should come from uncooked foods such as fresh fruit and vegetables, raw sprouted grains, seeds and nuts, unpasteurized dairy products, and from enzyme supplements."